Fraser Wilson Daily Record

They got promoted, finished 3rd and if they win the cup will have won more than we have this season.

That’s a successful season for them and a by poor one for us.

It's not an outlandish claim.

Just promoted, 3rd place, guaranteed European group stage football and a domestic trophy in the bag.

Meanwhile, we'd be empty handed at the end of the season. That's not success in my book.
Least someone gets it. Too many Rangers fans now happy for 'good runs' on getting to finals. We NEED to win today otherwise the season WILL BE A DISASTER

Just promoted, 3rd place, guaranteed European group stage football and a domestic trophy in the bag.

Meanwhile, we'd be empty handed at the end of the season. That's not success in my book.
And the 3rd place budget in the Scottish game.

They have done what they should this season.

You are right - empty handed is not success for us.

Said same last season regarding St Johnstone winning the 2 cups. Thankfully we won league but there is hugely worrying trend of us now NOT winning Cup competitions and that is not good. At a bare minimum, we should have a cup in bag each season.

Said same last season regarding St Johnstone winning the 2 cups. Thankfully we won league but there is hugely worrying trend of us now NOT winning Cup competitions and that is not good. At a bare minimum, we should have a cup in bag each season.
It’s why I can’t wait for the rebuild this summer.

We have a lack of “bottle” in my opinion when it comes to cup competitions.

Relative to what each club should be achieving they would have had a better season than us if they won today.

Just shows you how fickle fans are, a few inches away from it being the best season any of us have ever had (take your pick from Kent’s chance at the end, Davis shot that was flying into the top corner, Goldsons chance to clear or Ramseys penalty) to it now being described as an abject failure, embarrassment or whatever hyperbole you can muster.

We will win the cup today though, so the knives that are being sharpened can be put away.

Just shows you how fickle fans are, a few inches away from it being the best season any of us have ever had (take your pick from Kent’s chance at the end, Davis shot that was flying into the top corner, Goldsons chance to clear or Ramseys penalty) to it now being described as an abject failure, embarrassment or whatever hyperbole you can muster.

We will win the cup today though, so the knives that are being sharpened can be put away.

A win today will shut the “this team haven’t won anything in front of fans” brigade

He's right. We've helped them by securing third place European football until Christmas too.
Third and a cup would be their best season this century.
No trophies would be a disappointing season for us, despite the absolutely incredible European adventure.

Levels.

It would be a great season in their eyes, a disappointment in ours.

So is he saying if they lose today they’ve had a shot season?

When you compare what success would have been for both clubs at the start of the season, Hearts have exceeded expectations - we did in Europe but not domestically.

But to say Hearts have had a better season than 2nd, a cup semi final, a final and a European final, is bollocks.

It would be. But we are winning this comfortably. No danger. This squad will rally and put on a show.

Of course they will have if they win today. The absolute worst we should be finishing in the league is 2nd and the best they can ever achieve is 3rd so they’ve achieved their goal in the league whilst we haven’t.

Granted we went to Seville but it ended up in disappointment. We absolutely must win today or it’s been a horrible season for us.

This in shovels!
I get shot down for saying this!

History doesnt look kindly upon 2nd place, 2nd place, 2nd place, 3/4th place in all competitions - regardless of the amazing memories through the season.

So is he saying if they lose today they’ve had a shot season?

When you compare what success would have been for both clubs at the start of the season, Hearts have exceeded expectations - we did in Europe but not domestically.

But to say Hearts have had a better season than 2nd, a cup semi final, a final and a European final, is bollocks.
We are always going to finish 1st or 2nd in the league, that's a given. Getting to the Europa league final was an achievement but it's all about lifting trophies, in that respect if we lose today then Hearts have had the better season. Although I can't see anything but a win for us

There would be no acceptable excuse if we don't win today. This is massive to them, it's a requirement for us.
Exactly this, this is their Europa League Final - for us, its every other Saturday…

Win it, help heal a little and move onto next year.
Lose it, and the term “Serial Losers” will rear its ugly head again, and probably justifiably so (taking EL out of it)

Whose season would you rather have had?

Ours. We could finish empty handed but we'll come again and sooner than Hearts will. That doesn't alter the fact that ending up trophyless will be a massive disappointment given how far in front of the competition we were at the start of the season.

If Hearts finish 3rd, guarantee themselves a chunk of change for European group stage and beat us in the final then by their standards, that's successful in their book. Probably wildly so.

Ours. We could finish empty handed but we'll come again and sooner than Hearts will. That doesn't alter the fact that ending up trophyless will be a massive disappointment given how far in front of the competition we were at the start of the season.

If Hearts finish 3rd, guarantee themselves a chunk of change for European group stage and beat us in the final then by their standards, that's successful in their book. Probably wildly so.

We simply need to win today mate. Even excluding wednesdays result, 13 years without the scottish cup is not on.

We've had a good season in terms of business and brand exposure etc but if we end up empty handed it's hard to call it a success.

No way will I be looking back at this season in 10 years time thinking "what a great year that was" if we come away with nowt. At least a trophy gives us something to build on for next season and gets us back to winning cup competitions.

Least someone gets it. Too many Rangers fans now happy for 'good runs' on getting to finals. We NEED to win today otherwise the season WILL BE A DISASTER

We didn't get direct entry to the CL next season and celtic did.

Its already a disaster regardless of what happens today.

EDIT - I'm being overly harsh calling it a disaster. A disappointment is what I'd call it regardless of today's result.

That's an Evening Times article and a Daily Record journo I would never have known existed if it wasn't for helpful posters on here.

3rd biggest budget in the league finishes 3rd in the league and gets to a cup final.

Seems to me like Hearts' 'amazing season' has been slightly overblown, successful obviously but not exactly a huge surprise given that they should never have been in the Championship last season in the first place.

We really, truly need to win this cup final today big time in order to break this 'hoodoo' or 'monkey on our backs' which will be/is perpetuated by the media, which is not winning cup finals or getting KO'd in earlier rounds. One Scottish trophy in 4 years (albeit the most important one) is still just not good enough for Rangers.

As an old time supporter it reminds of a couple of periods in our history without a cup especially 1966 to 1970. Strangely lost a European trophy to Bayern Munich in 1967 in.that period too. I would take a DJ type 1 v 0 headed goal to win which broke that hoodoo in 1970.

Depends what he means by "better". If its purely on trophies won then obvouisly Hearts would win that one if they win the trophy - and in fact I saw some claims last season that St Johnstone had a "better" season than us because they won 2 trophies to our 1.

However, in terms of number of wins throughout the season, losing the league by losing 2-1 instead of winning 2-1, all those European victories culminating in a European final (something no one in Scotland can get close to, despite throwing millions at it), then we would have had a better season if you are to define better as "more enjoyable"

In 2003 Celtic got to a European final in Seville but won nothing.
We won 3 trophies and laughed at them. Ever since we've mocked them for celebrating failure.

I'd like to think we still have the energy, desire and ability to win the cup today to make the comparison pointless. But if we were to lose, then what's the difference?

Back