Balogun loves the club and would love to stay

If he could stay fit, I'd get him signed up. Seems happy to step in where needed and rarely let's us down. Only question would be, does it hinder Leon King's development?

If he's up to another year then fair enough. The fitness experts hold the answer.

I hope we go with 5 Central defenders next season. Souttar, Balogun, Helander, King, and another starter.

If we didn't get Souttar I'd maybe consider an extension but with Goldson leaving and Bassey likely to attract heavy interest we need a couple of more robust options at the centre of defence

Another year should be a no brainer.

We’ll bring in another player to replace Goldson and then we’ll have Souttar and Helander vying for the other CH spot.

Personally I feel Balogun deserves the opportunity to add himself into the mix there too with Leon King providing additional backup.

I dont think hes good enough as our CB mainstay especially in europe, hes a decent squad player and usefull but nowhere near as good as goldson or helander so imo its a downgrade if he is coming to be our main CB.
I will be pleasantly surprised if we get a Goldson replacement who is currently at the level he is, it’s more likely we sign someone to develop into Goldson level.

Souttar is a cracking centre half and will be a starter I reckon. So long as he’s fit.

The issue is that you have him, Helander and Balogun who aren’t likely to fit for every round of games - which makes me unsure how we approach next season.

I trust the staff to get it right anyway.

Depends if Gio wants 4 or 5 centre halves.

Gerrard liked 4, and it’s time for King to become 4th choice. Exciting times!

34 next month and his injury concerns along with Souttar and Helander say to me, we shouldn't renew.

Souttar is his replacement and an upgrade at that.

Goldson replacement to partner Bassey, then Souttar and King.

Balogun is the kind of player you sign for 2 seasons max then upgrade on.

We will have Bassey, Souttar, King, Helander, Balogun and Katic assuming Goldson moves on.

Think we move a couple on and bring in one quality replacement for Goldson

I know a lot of fans don't fancy big Katic but I think he's better than made out. I'd like to see Gio get to check him out properly before making a decision. He deserves a chance.
Exactly!
huge potential with Katic. Not saying he could be another Bassey but with Gio’s team developing him I think he could be a good player for us

I think Balogun is an excellent player, would be very happy to see him and Souttar in defensive pairing against SPL hammer throwers. But we do need 4 quality CH’s regardless. Helander is the one that gives me the fear.

I'm afraid he's too injury prone.

Really likeable guy, gets the club and a second tier leader - but we need someone who is more available.

GVB appears to like him as a squad option, won't be surprised to see a year's extension. He may want 2 though...

Balogun is a very good and experienced centre half. Only downside is his injury record over a season and that is the reason that probably rules him out as a permanent feature. The amount of “Experts” that have never kicked a ball in anger dissing the guy is laughable.

Exactly!
huge potential with Katic. Not saying he could be another Bassey but with Gio’s team developing him I think he could be a good player for us
He’s the same age as Souttar, and I think Souttar is a better player - especially in terms of on the ball and reading of the game.

Interested to see how the coaching staff assess Niko though, he’s not exactly old and he has attributes to be a very good centre half.

I would certainly keep him for another year. Doubt he would break the bank and gives his all any time he plays. Injuries are the only drawback, but he provides some consistency in the squad in an off-season likely to be high on player turnover

Good squad option if he can stay fit

I’ll wait and see what Gio has planned to replace Goldson before I judge the back up
We need to replace quality with quality

Not for me. Has had some stellar performances but he has a brain fart in there too. His age and fitness challenges means I'd send him on his way with our best wishes.

With the number of games that Rangers play in a season we have got to have a big squad. Today confirmed that. Really surprised that anyone should question that Balogun wouldn’t be very useful. Suspect that those who want to see him go are going to be disappointed.

Back