Goldson - Staying another 4 years!!!

Nkunku asked for his strip after the semi final 2nd leg because he said he'd been the best central defender he'd played against in this season's Europa campaign.

If you're maybe comparing him to Gough and Butcher then yeah, he might be bang average, but he's certainly better than anyone we've had since them.

Cuellar & Bougherra mate ? Seriously ?

Goldson was in the main a colossus of a Centre Half for Rangers. Hardly missed a game since he signed with a consistent excellent level of performance despite a few wobbles which can happen with anybody playing the number of games he was involved in. We move on and will replace him with a similar player.
If you watch some of the centre backs in the EPL he would fit in to most teams.

We got our monies worth out of him and played on a stage he will never experience again. Injury free he racked up some games. He sold the jerseys now and again but he was mostly solid and a good leader. We will miss his experience next season both against the filth and in Europe.
I would have like him to stay.
Don't think he was a great one for interviews so no surprise he's cleaned out his locker and moved on.

Cuellar & Bougherra mate ? Seriously ?
Better than both for me, especially than Bougherra. All round better than Cuellar, when you consider his ability on the ball and playing for a defence that is more open.

I know you disagree though, and it’s not often we do that mate :))

OK MS, I just don’t see it mate.

I accept my views are different from the majority, but I trust my views.

I don’t come on & slate the guy & do think he has good attributes, and is actually a good footballer, but I’m looking for better next season, and I think we can get it.
Hope you’re right bud. It’s not often we disagree! :))

What sort of self-entitled nonsense is in that OP?

Get him to do an interview on RTV to tell us the true story and let him thank us?

Thank us for what? Did we go around and re-decorate his house while he was out? Did we jump-start his car on a cold morning?

And what true story? Professional footballer plays for our club, wins the league and Scottish cup and plays a key role in a record breaking undefeated league season and marshalls our defense on a beautiful run to the Europa League final. He gets well paid to do it and 50,000 shouting him on every second week.

At the end of his contract he chooses to go back to his home area to raise his family and join another club. Shocking. Now, I demand the truth.

Good luck to him tbh, great signing. Disappointing he's leaving, even more that it's a bosman but it is what it is.

Let's see what his replacement can do.

We conceded 50 goals in the league the season before Goldson arrived. He’s been an almost ever present and has rarely had a settled partner beside him. He’s been a tremendous player for us and should be thanked for his services. We’ll have to spend a lot of money to find a better replacement.

Tbf we had Russell Martin and David Bates as our pairing for large parts of that season.

So many posts highlighting Goldson has made mistakes. I’m struggling to think of a Rangers centre-back in the last 50 years who didn’t. One of the best had a penchant for own goals.:eek:

Not saying Goldson is anywhere near that sort of level but he’s been an excellent servant for us and a rock in our current defence.

I hope today sees one final effort to get him to sign. Though it will need him to drop his demands.

Every player makes mistakes. The issue with Goldson's was that his mistakes always seemed to happen at the worst time possible and almost always led to an opposition goal.

Very rarely did his mistakes occur when we were 3 nil up and coasting. They almost always seemed to happen when we were either 1 goal ahead or level in crucial games.

I don't know if that is a mentality thing.

I mean he has come back from a huge setback in his career (the heart surgery) and that takes a strong character, but I have always thought that when the pressure is on he tends to wilt.

Don't get me wrong. Overall he has been a fantastic signing. I've just got question marks as to whether or not he is cut out for a side expected to win trophy after trophy.

Every player makes mistakes. The issue with Goldson's was that his mistakes always seemed to happen at the worst time possible and almost always led to an opposition goal.

Very rarely did his mistakes occur when we were 3 nil up and coasting. They almost always seemed to happen when we were either 1 goal ahead or level in crucial games.

I don't know if that is a mentality thing.

I mean he has come back from a huge setback in his career (the heart surgery) and that takes a strong character, but I have always thought that when the pressure is on he tends to wilt.

Don't get me wrong. Overall he has been a fantastic signing. I've just got question marks as to whether or not he is cut out for a side expected to win trophy after trophy.
I'm the same mate, great servant but the comments after the hiv semi set alarm bells ringing

Over £10m to replace Goldson? Do folk really believe this?

Utter nonsense

It's all relative whilst I don't think we have £10M anyway to spend on a defender unless we sell for big money....... but I don't think he's going to be easy to replace as others mention-he really did tick a lot of boxes for us. On the journey back he was immense a key figure whether we have the resources and scouting skill to get a defender in who can replace him on a budget is up for debate.

I do think his critics underestimate his value to us-putting a value on that is like comparisons to previous eras-very difficult to do.

I’d rather be said nothing and moved on , rather than give the support cliched soundbites .

He played every time we asked him and was a big part of 55 and Seville , he has come to the end of his contract and honoured it .

He’s entitled to move without giving an explanation .

However , when he runs out to his first home game with his new team he will realise he’s f.ucked it imo

Best of luck to him
Correct......

It's all relative whilst I don't think we have £10M anyway to spend on a defender unless we sell for big money....... but I don't think he's going to be easy to replace as others mention-he really did tick a lot of boxes for us. On the journey back he was immense a key figure whether we have the resources and scouting skill to get a defender in who can replace him on a budget is up for debate.

I do think his critics underestimate his value to us-putting a value on that is like comparisons to previous eras-very difficult to do.

I grew to like Goldson but there’s no doubt the first 2 seasons with us he was a bit of a bomb scare, he was then immense during 55 season but feel he dropped a level again this past season

Flip side of you really on this, I genuinely believe those who believe him to be almost irreplaceable will be pleasantly surprised

Good luck to him though, one things for sure is he’s not going to be playing for a bigger club than ours

I grew to like Goldson but there’s no doubt the first 2 seasons with us he was a bit of a bomb scare, he was then immense during 55 season but feel he dropped a level again this past season

Flip side of you really on this, I genuinely believe those who believe him to be almost irreplaceable will be pleasantly surprised

Good luck to him though, one things for sure is he’s not going to be playing for a bigger club than ours

I don't agree with your assessment on the seasons before but I do hope we are pleasantly surprised that the transition on his departure will be smooth. We currently have good/decent cover but his consistency of appearances was remarkable. I do think as well we are in real danger of serious bids coming in for Bassey which will just compound things.

IMO Goldson would be a better player with someone else doing the organising and able to concentrate completely on his own game. I think his brain farts happened when he was trying to organise other players, usually Balogun or Bassey. Would have been interesting had Helander stayed fit for longer and the two of them were able to strike up a partnership for more than a couple of games at a time.

Goldson like every Player has his Flaws, Off days, & brilliant days, I wish him well. Know doubt his Family wants to move back down to England, Onwards & Upwards!!

He has cost us so many important goals. He doesn't want to stay. Cannot wait to see the back of him. Bang average
Appreciate its all about opinions, but that is absolute nonsense.
Been a cracking signing who we wont appreciate how good he is until.he is gone.
Inspirational leader and organiser.

Nkunku asked for his strip after the semi final 2nd leg because he said he'd been the best central defender he'd played against in this season's Europa campaign.

If you're maybe comparing him to Gough and Butcher then yeah, he might be bang average, but he's certainly better than anyone we've had since them.
Where did you see him say he was the best defender he's come up against?

Agreed, maybe behind Cuellar also but a very good player who we will miss hugely

We got our monies worth out of him and played on a stage he will never experience again. Injury free he racked up some games. He sold the jerseys now and again but he was mostly solid and a good leader. We will miss his experience next season both against the filth and in Europe.
I would have like him to stay.
Don't think he was a great one for interviews so no surprise he's cleaned out his locker and moved on.
He knew he was going for a long time,he has been stringing us along et al a new contract which he was never signing,we move on.

Yeah, he’s made a few mistakes but so did Ramos and Ferdinand. Everybody at centre back has made them but he makes fewer than most. It’ll be heartbreaking if he goes as seems likely.

He’s absolute quality in his own right but he also organises everybody else too. Tav is a better defender for playing beside him and at least part of the development in Bassey at centre half is down to Goldson. If anybody thought Bassey was a centre back after seeing him play with Balogun v Prague then they are a genius. As soon as he was playing beside Goldson he looked a different player.

I saw an article about this earlier today. Apparently the sticking point for Goldson is a pay rise. Apparently he wants to stay but wants his efforts over the last couple of years recognised. I'm not sure about others, but if I were Rangers then I would absolutely do what we can to accommodate this. Especially with the extra windfall coming in from the Europa League run.

I saw an article about this earlier today. Apparently the sticking point for Goldson is a pay rise. Apparently he wants to stay but wants his efforts over the last couple of years recognised. I'm not sure about others, but if I were Rangers then I would absolutely do what we can to accommodate this. Especially with the extra windfall coming in from the Europa League run.

Never ever believe a word that is written on Footballinsider.

His stats in the Europa league were incredible. Obviously we played the most games, along with Frankfurt, but to have 25% more ball recoveries than his closest rival is outstanding and his attempted clearances is a huge outlier in relation to the other players. He's so far out in front.

2f893ca167d7b063315f4a97c23c00bc.png

Back