The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd suggest that keeping Davis would be a worthwhile exercise. I can't seem him being too difficult to deal with wages wise and he would be a very good player to bring in/on to rest others during the season. He could well feature is most of our games to some degree. The stories of a coaching role elsewhere may tempt him of course.

Genuinely ambivalent about McGregor and Balogun - depends what our plans would be to replace/upgrade.

If Bassey goes, then we are looking around £20m. Comparisons with Tierney are valid to a degree but whether we rated him or not up here, he was a Scotland regular when leaving for Arsenal. That would explain the difference in the fee as Bassey is just in the process of establishing himself with Nigeria. Anywhere in the region of £20m, with add/sell on clauses, for Bassey given the nominal fee we paid would be exceptional business

I'd hope/expect such a fee to be reinvested in the squad given the income already received this season.

Celtic got £25m for Tierney based on spl form, he's now worth far more.
Bassey not only done it domestically, he's been outstanding against top European sides and won a motm in a European final.
So why would not get near that fee?

Tierney wasn't just based on SPFL form. He'd shown up well in Europe and internationally at that point, even in a team that was struggling at that level.

And it was also a reputation built over a longer time than Bassey has managed so far. He certainly could get there that way.

I just don't see us getting as much as that - I hope I'm wrong, if he's to be sold. My personal preference would be that he's a Rangers player for the rest of his career!

Bassey not only done it domestically, he's been outstanding against top European sides and won a motm in a European final.
I don't think we'd be too far away in fees but you'd have to factor in that Tierney was an international regular, Bassey isn't yet.

When Bassey came over in on a cross border deal, we got him for about 300k. If we sell him for 20m+ and fir how long he been here, id say thats some deal and progress

As a club, I think we’d accept 20m and a decent sell-on clause.

I see where people are coming with the Tierney comparison but were it not for that, we’d all be delighted at making 20m profit on someone.

It’s the model we need to become accustomed to.
The model is buy low sell high , not buy low and impose a limit to how high we sell. I'd agree on the sell on clause but 20m given Bassey's upsides is low imo

We can't build a full squad of better level players. Ross Stewart is a good player, seems to be developing late as such, and would be happy and committed as a squad player looking to force his way in.

We won't get someone as good as Morelos to come here and accept that sort of role, so you have to take a bit of a chance on players like this if you want a strong squad.

He'd surprise a few of our fans, from everything I've seen of him at Ross County and the little since he moved to Sunderland.
Initially I was really against Stewart but have made a point of watching him since our interest was reported and he’s a decent player

Hearing that we are in for Mattise Samoise. Belgian RM from Gent, in last year of contract and was one of best players in Belgian league last season
I’m sure he signed a new deal this season, till 2025. Been excellent for Gent and they will demand a massive fee for him

Regarding Ross Stewart, he's a good player with a terrific workrate. He'd undoubtedly be a step down from Alfie whenever the Buffalo is absent but as a squad member, his contribution would dwarf the likes of Itten and even Roofe given his injury record.

Ultimately though, the time to get him was when he was leaving County as the fee to bring him back to Scotland would be more than what we should be paying for someone who isn't a first choice pick.

I'd suggest that keeping Davis would be a worthwhile exercise. I can't seem him being too difficult to deal with wages wise and he would be a very good player to bring in/on to rest others during the season. He could well feature is most of our games to some degree. The stories of a coaching role elsewhere may tempt him of course.

Genuinely ambivalent about McGregor and Balogun - depends what our plans would be to replace/upgrade.

If Bassey goes, then we are looking around £20m. Comparisons with Tierney are valid to a degree but whether we rated him or not up here, he was a Scotland regular when leaving for Arsenal. That would explain the difference in the fee as Bassey is just in the process of establishing himself with Nigeria. Anywhere in the region of £20m, with add/sell on clauses, for Bassey given the nominal fee we paid would be exceptional business

I'd hope/expect such a fee to be reinvested in the squad given the income already received this season.

I get that people love Davis but I do not see any benefit of giving him another deal.

Spent Saturday chasing shadows off the ball and offering very little on it, as he has for much of the season

Before making new acquisition decisions, Ito hear fro the manager and coaches, what their plans are for Hagi - an enormously talented player with huge upside potential that we need to utilize.

He had a lot of CL Group experience Teddy.

In saying that, I saw him roasted at that level a few times, and was really shocked that Arsenal paid 25m for him.

When you throw in availability due to injuries I’d take Bassey before him every time.

Tierney wasn't just based on SPFL form. He'd shown up well in Europe and internationally at that point, even in a team that was struggling at that level.

And it was also a reputation built over a longer time than Bassey has managed so far. He certainly could get there that way.

I just don't see us getting as much as that - I hope I'm wrong, if he's to be sold. My personal preference would be that he's a Rangers player for the rest of his career!
Tierney was part of a record breaking defence for the most abysmal record ever in the CL. I don’t really know how that could be seen as a positive.

He had a lot of CL Group experience Teddy.

In saying that, I saw him roasted at that level a few times, and was really shocked that Arsenal paid 25m for him.

When you throw in availability due to injuries I’d take Bassey before him every time.
I think Arsenal will be pretty annoyed they spent that much money on him. He is having the issues that any mug on here could have predicted.

Something a lot of people aren't giving serious consideration to when comparing fees for Teirney and Bassey is the value in Bassey being 'Home Grown', for registration purposes that's massive giving that he was English born with Nigerian heritage. English clubs are desperate for young British, but specifically more English talent to bolster their squads especially with the still unknown ramifications of any changes from Brexit.

I think Arsenal will be pretty annoyed they spent that much money on him. He is having the issues that any mug on here could have predicted.
Im not so sure they will. They adore him and value him at 2 or 3 times what they played. Their fans have also asked for him to be made captain. Remember that 25m down south is hee haw. They will be extremely happy with their outlay.

Something a lot of people aren't giving serious consideration to when comparing fees for Teirney and Bassey is the value in Bassey being 'Home Grown', for registration purposes that's massive giving that he was English born with Nigerian heritage. English clubs are desperate for young British, but specifically more English talent to bolster their squads especially with the still unknown ramifications of any changes from Brexit.
He’s actually Italian born, but would imagine his schooling etc still means he’s ‘home grown’

He meets the Home Grown rule due to going through the Leicester academy, but he was born in Italy.

Ideally we don’t weaken ourselves, even if we can do that without accepting a big money bid for the likes of Bassey, Kent, Aribo. If we could I’d like us to offload the likes of Simpson, Middleton, Hastie, Itten and a few others like that who are way down the pecking order, and get some cash in for them. Then replace them with the back up we need for out and out striker, centre back, midfield ball winner etc. using cash raised in sale of unwanted squad players as well as some of the European money.
Maybe pie in the sky stuff but if we could do that I’d keep the likes of Balogun and Davis.

As much as I'd love to be able to get a fee like that, I'd say it's beyond unlikely.

I actually think we would struggle to get offers of £20m in truth. The best we've had was about £16m for Morelos, and strikers always have a premium attached. The fact Fulham started with a bid of £3.5m says a lot - we don't get the truly big money up here. Even that lot didn't get what they hoped for when selling Dembele, Ajer or Edouard.

The Patterson fee was a bit of a steal, rather than the guideline, I reckon. I hope to be wrong, and if Bassey is to be sold it's for big money, but I don't think £30m is anywhere near possible.
You constantly downplay and err on the negative side of things, when it comes to Rangers.

Optimism and positive thinking is allowed you know.

Also important to note that Arsenal wouldn't get away with putting in a low offer then agreeing personal terms with the player who in turn puts pressure on the club to sell. They wouldn't get away with that because they know Tierney wouldn't want to %^*& over Celtic.

If someone offers us say £15m and in the background tell Basseys agent that he would be on 80k per week if Rangers accepted the offer, then no doubt Bassey and his agent would be putting pressure on the club to accept.

That 25m for tierney was the 3 years ago price , the Bassey price should reflect the current market in England
No debating that. I am just referencing Tierney money s being something they were happy at having paid for him. Its seperate to my belief Bassey is worth 25m. However, he hasnt had as prolonged period of excellent displays compared to Tierney and that may go against him with some. Who knows how these clubs operate.

We can't build a full squad of better level players. Ross Stewart is a good player, seems to be developing late as such, and would be happy and committed as a squad player looking to force his way in.

We won't get someone as good as Morelos to come here and accept that sort of role, so you have to take a bit of a chance on players like this if you want a strong squad.

He'd surprise a few of our fans, from everything I've seen of him at Ross County and the little since he moved to Sunderland.

I agree. I think Ross Stewart would come in and be generally regarded as underwhelming, but would actually contribute plenty in terms of goals and assists. He’s improving and I think is capable of stepping up as a Rangers player. He’d be a decent addition in my opinion.

He’s actually Italian born, but would imagine his schooling etc still means he’s ‘home grown’

Wow.. did not know that, i even watched his wee docu-video about his upbrining and totally missed it.

Get the Italians involved aswell then! Milan just won the Scudetto right? Calv-dini!

£20M for Bassey is significantly undervaluing him, particularly if you are selling to a Premier League team. Forget about Tierney, he left ages ago, a total irrelevance. Bassey is 22 with a M.O.T.M performance in a European final and a Scottish Cup final in the same week, playing 2 different positions. He qualifies as home-grown. He still has 2 years on his contract and hes not actively looking to move.

Hes a minimum of £30M in todays market and our most valuable asset by a distance.

Something a lot of people aren't giving serious consideration to when comparing fees for Teirney and Bassey is the value in Bassey being 'Home Grown', for registration purposes that's massive giving that he was English born with Nigerian heritage. English clubs are desperate for young British, but specifically more English talent to bolster their squads especially with the still unknown ramifications of any changes from

Hes a home grown player for EPL sides. That adds a premium

Tierney was just turned 22 when he moved to Arsenal and at that point had played 170 games for Celtic in 5 years. Included in those numbers are 21 appearances in Europe across CL and EL.

For comparison, Bassey has played 65 games for Rangers - 14 in the EL.

I think Bassey has performed at more of a standout level than Tierney ever has in Europe (and I include his time at Arsenal in this).

We should not be selling for anything less than £25m.

We will easily get over £20m for Bassey, factor in Aribo and Kamara also potentially going and you are looking at around £45m minimum in sales.

Scary sums. Even getting half that budget should ensure the title

If Kent and Morelos don't sign new deals they also need to go. Could be looking at 80/90m coming in for transfer fees this summer if they all go.

No debating that. I am just referencing Tierney money s being something they were happy at having paid for him. Its seperate to my belief Bassey is worth 25m. However, he hasnt had as prolonged period of excellent displays compared to Tierney and that may go against him with some. Who knows how these clubs operate.
Tierney did it in Scotland when we were on our knees . Many a time he got schooled in the CL. Still a good player but made of chocolate too. Bassey will have a better career than tierney, I'm sure of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back