Goldson - Staying another 4 years!!!

I saw an article about this earlier today. Apparently the sticking point for Goldson is a pay rise. Apparently he wants to stay but wants his efforts over the last couple of years recognised. I'm not sure about others, but if I were Rangers then I would absolutely do what we can to accommodate this. Especially with the extra windfall coming in from the Europa League run.

I think the problem is not so much Goldson getting what he wants, it's the two or three others it would trigger raises for IMO.

It's the knock-on effect.

I think the problem is not so much Goldson getting what he wants, it's the two or three others it would trigger raises for IMO.

It's the knock-on effect.
The problem we have though, if the club are telling agents that players are worth north of £20m, the agent is merely going to say, fine, we'll stay and get paid properly then.

Goldson certainly won't think leaving us for a Nottingham Forest, or even a Brighton, is a step up, I think it is quite an insult to suggest he would.

If he leaves , he is leaving for reasons outwith football, Private or Financial

He has been collosal for us over a few years, barely misses a game, he owes us nothing and we owe him nothing but goodwill

My worry if he goes, and I am not fully convinced he will, is how we replace him

A man that plays in 99% games at the level he does, will be extremely hard to replace, and John Souttar isn't that replacement, he is about 3 levels below the quality of Goldson and 10 levels below in fitness.

I’d rather be said nothing and moved on , rather than give the support cliched soundbites .

He played every time we asked him and was a big part of 55 and Seville , he has come to the end of his contract and honoured it .

He’s entitled to move without giving an explanation .

However , when he runs out to his first home game with his new team he will realise he’s f.ucked it imo

Best of luck to him

If the rumours that it's about his wife wanting to raise their family in the Midlands are true, then probably not.

Hope he gets the chance to ply his trade in the EPL, even playing Championship football is more appealing than Ross County away, Motherwell away etc.

Good luck Goldson, still cant believe we didnt work out a decent chant for him!

Peterborough, Blackpool, Luton etc are all better places to go than Fir Park? I'm not so sure given the nature of our traveling support.

The Championship only appeals because of the ultimate prize. It's a 46-game slog. Only 6 clubs have an average attendance of over 20k.

If you watch the celebrations after the game you see the emotion in Goldsons face when he's acknowledging the fans on his own. For me he doesn't want to leave and knows what he's giving up but if it's a family decision then you do what's right for them. If it's a money decision then that's upto him but he's made 223 appearances in 4 years the club should be taking that into consideration when making him the offer.

Peterborough, Blackpool, Luton etc are all better places to go than Fir Park? I'm not so sure given the nature of our traveling support.

The Championship only appeals because of the ultimate prize. It's a 46-game slog. Only 6 clubs have an average attendance of over 20k.
Its a brilliantly competitive league with that end prize on offer.

Where are the rumours he's staying, coming from?

If he stays I'll be over the moon. Means we can focus on strengthening our attacking/midfield options and explore Goalkeeping options.

Goldson has been immense for us, but just like amaruso before him, he has a potential brain fart in him. It doesn’t take away from the fact he was a very good player, just that he’s not top level. I’ll be sad to see him go, but if it results in a butcher, gough, cuellar or fit and young Davie weir arriving, then it will hopefully just be a transition.

Re. Goldson, I took notice of this intriguing wee quote from McCoist talking about him after the Cup Final -

“Connor is interesting. I know they’ve offered him something and it will be interesting to see what happens. But from Rangers’ point of view I think it would be great if he stayed as he is a really good player.”

He’s already left and moved down south. Might be back for a day to help logistics but he’s gone. Unless he leaves his family majority of week and travels he ain’t coming back. His family comes first. He will be absolutely torn leaving.

I hope he gets the move he deserves down his way.

When you think of the contribution Goldson made vs Cuellar (making the comparison as both left after Euro finals). How revered Cuellar was when he left at the first opportunity vs this weird bitterness towards CG.

Goldson has proven great value for money, given us 4 good seasons, part of an undefeated league campaign, a Scottish cup, a euro final and a 10 game unbeaten run v Celtic.

When you think of the contribution Goldson made vs Cuellar (making the comparison as both left after Euro finals). How revered Cuellar was when he left at the first opportunity vs this weird bitterness towards CG.

Goldson has proven great value for money, given us 4 good seasons, part of an undefeated league campaign, a Scottish cup, a euro final and a 10 game unbeaten run v Celtic.
Cuellar had a release clause and was forced out the door by Murray though,much like Hutton was.

Cuellar had a release clause and was forced out the door by Murray though,much like Hutton was.
Do you honestly think he’d have stayed? We were, as we were for Gio, Ferguson, Reyna, Hutton, Cousin and plenty of others from that era a stepping stone to the EPL.

And remember, there’s only one party who insist on release clauses, and it’s not the club.

He’s already left and moved down south. Might be back for a day to help logistics but he’s gone. Unless he leaves his family majority of week and travels he ain’t coming back. His family comes first. He will be absolutely torn leaving.

Can I ask how you could know this?

He has not already left - he lives in Bishopbriggs looking over the canal.

He has built a new home in the midlands but he absolutely hasn’t left (maybe for his holidays)

He has not already left - he lives in Bishopbriggs looking over the canal.

He has built a new home in the midlands but he absolutely hasn’t left (maybe for his holidays)
Sure I seen on Twitter yesterday that someone met him at the airport and got his picture with him, he said he was away to Dubai.

Any bitterness is a bit pathetic but Cuellar earned us about £8m 14 years ago.

I would think there would be just a little less bitterness if Goldson was going for that.

Sure I seen on Twitter yesterday that someone met him at the airport and got his picture with him, he said he was away to Dubai.
Need to watch what you put on a public forum but hes away on holiday. On way back this week will do some local logistics on way back to new home. not sure we need to go anymore, but he’s gone, the time for nailing him down and the family was a while ago.

He is a fabulous player. His contribution in the past few years is immense

The thing we’ll really notice is no longer having those raking cross field balls up front from him.

His ability to fire us right up the opposite side of the pitch from defence was incredible.

Anyway, if he is gone then he goes with my sincere gratitude for some outstanding service. I wish him every success in his future career, but he’ll never experience the highs again like those that we gave him.

Goldson has been immense for us, but just like amaruso before him, he has a potential brain fart in him. It doesn’t take away from the fact he was a very good player, just that he’s not top level. I’ll be sad to see him go, but if it results in a butcher, gough, cuellar or fit and young Davie weir arriving, then it will hopefully just be a transition.
There isnt a defender in world football who doesnt have a brain fart in him.

Sadly, Connors was last week.

Because it’s a fucking public forum, enough poets look in. You can choose not to believe me that’s fine buts he’s gone and family when back from holiday
Without saying goodbye to the fans?

I highly doubt it. Unless you know him personally you can’t make such outlandish claims.

The thing we’ll really notice is no longer having those raking cross field balls up front from him.

His ability to fire us right up the opposite side of the pitch from defence was incredible.

Anyway, if he is gone then he goes with my sincere gratitude for some outstanding service. I wish him every success in his future career, but he’ll never experience the highs again like those that we gave him.

had a conversation recently on this, we demand players play to an unreal standard. Same with Tav. I watch the England captain who led them to semi’s of world cups completely %^*& it time and again.

Either way its been handled really strange, surely to fck we havent let him hang on to now without confirming to the club if he's going to extend or not. Should be a statement this week saying thanks but CG is away, disappointed our VC has decided no to extend but club wish him well and we look forward to finding his replacement.

Back