Goldson - Staying another 4 years!!!

Some of these stories and comments coming out from McCoist and Hutton are strange so I’m wondering if there is something to him perhaps staying.

I assumed that as soon as the SCF was over he was going to sign off.

That Goldson wanted to stay etc.

I just read it, he had and does love the club. But that moment is long gone, he’s fully committed down south and already gone.

If rangers came back with a significant offer I guess he could persuade the family, rent out his new home down south and find another family home to rent in Scotland if they moved back up but realistically it’s not happening. It’s not just about money, we blew that opportunity some time back.

Given how completely family oriented he has he also won’t be one of those players who travel home during breaks between games.

Be interesting to see if the “he’s deserved the right to walk” brigade say the same for Kent in a year’s time.

Be interesting to see if the “he’s deserved the right to walk” brigade say the same for Kent in a year’s time.

These scenario's are on the club as well to be honest.

If it becomes clear an asset isn't going to extend his deal we need to look at moving them on to recoup some money.

We need to be sharper and more proactive with our expiring contracts.

I just read it, he had and does love the club. But that moment is long gone, he’s fully committed down south and already gone.

If rangers came back with a significant offer I guess he could persuade the family, rent out his new home down south and find another family home to rent in Scotland if they moved back up but realistically it’s not happening. It’s not just about money, we blew that opportunity some time back.

Given how completely family oriented he has he also won’t be one of those players who travel home during breaks between games.
I’m not doubting your intel mate but the two cars were still at the Briggs house before I went offshore days ago

Yes he will be remembered fondly enough and rightly so. But he could have become a Rangers legend had he stayed longer. I suspect he will never again win a league championship, get to the final of a major European competition or receive the reaction the team did today. He may miss that or he may not.
He'll be paid lavishly, though. That's what it's all about. He'll be out the game in a few years with no discernible life skills to be able to do anything for the rest of his life so he has to earn as much as he can.

I’m not doubting your intel mate but the two cars were still at the Briggs house before I went offshore days ago
I live accross the road, don't know them well but say hello and have the occasional quick chat like neighbours do.
As you say the 2 range rovers are sat in the drive right now and I haven't spotted any removals etc.
I'm pretty sure they're away just with the few things his wife has said and the situation with the kids nursery.
Lovely family and a player who gave his all. I wish him all the best.

Guys I'd delete info regarding what cars he may or may not own and and which house they may or may not reside..
Over 20,000 people stay in that area. If the previous poster had stated the address or he stayed in a hamlet then I could maybe see your point.

I live accross the road, don't know them well but say hello and have the occasional quick chat like neighbours do.
As you say the 2 range rovers are sat in the drive right now and I haven't spotted any removals etc.
I'm pretty sure they're away just with the few things his wife has said and the situation with the kids nursery.
Not doubting your claim but you must be a millionaire then as I know the houses of which you speak. Swimming pools etc.

Not doubting your claim but you must be a millionaire then as I know the houses of which you speak. Swimming pools etc.
The twist is, Bluebeard is helander.

It’s a shame if we lose him, but he’s given his all for us and been excellent. If he wants to move to have a happy family then that’s what’s important in life for him.

Guys I'd delete info regarding what cars he may or may not own and and which house they may or may not reside..
We haven’t quoted streets or reg numbers mate

A poster has suggested he has moved his life away from Glasgow already - I live on the same estate and clearly so does another poster.

No big deal

The whole “he wants to stay” is being hugely economical with the truth.

Both Mbappe and Messi want to sign for rangers….. if we’ll pay them £1.5m per week.

CG “wants to stay”….. but only if we pay him £xxxxx per week.

Same scenario, different levels. The player is entitled to “demand” such a salary, and the club are entitled to stick to our guns.

Depending on the chosen narrative, it can be spun as:

“CG wanted to stay”

or

“Rangers wanted CG to stay but he chose to move on”

It boils down to money and we won’t be able to match what he can get elsewhere.

For the most part Goldson was a leader on the pitch, pretty good on the ball, could hit some wonderful long passes and read the game pretty well. He was rarely injured and has been a great servant to the club.
On the flip side, there was always a mistake in him against better teams, often costly. His long passing could be inconsistent and he slowed up the game by taking too much time on the ball to pick out that pass and in so doing allowing teams to get their defensive shape together( or parked bus ). He was an aerial attacking threat but too often headed the ball upwards over the bar.So pluses and minuses and certainly the good outweighed the bad.
I like the look of Souttar. Maybe a little faster off the mark than Goldson, he also has the physical presence and command. He’s good in the air at both ends of the pitch, can hit a good long ball but also move it forward quickly with shorter balls when it’s on. In many respects he looks potentially an upgrade. The big doubt of course is his injury record. While Goldson’s has been remarkable ( compare with say, Helander) , Souttar’s has been poor.
If he can stay injury free, I would guess Souttar would represent an upgrade. A big if, alas. Time will tell.

For the most part Goldson was a leader on the pitch, pretty good on the ball, could hit some wonderful long passes and read the game pretty well. He was rarely injured and has been a great servant to the club.
On the flip side, there was always a mistake in him against better teams, often costly. His long passing could be inconsistent and he slowed up the game by taking too much time on the ball to pick out that pass and in so doing allowing teams to get their defensive shape together( or parked bus ). He was an aerial attacking threat but too often headed the ball upwards over the bar.So pluses and minuses and certainly the good outweighed the bad.
I like the look of Souttar. Maybe a little faster off the mark than Goldson, he also has the physical presence and command. He’s good in the air at both ends of the pitch, can hit a good long ball but also move it forward quickly with shorter balls when it’s on. In many respects he looks potentially an upgrade. The big doubt of course is his injury record. While Goldson’s has been remarkable ( compare with say, Helander) , Souttar’s has been poor.
If he can stay injury free, I would guess Souttar would represent an upgrade. A big if, alas. Time will tell.
I hope you're right regarding souttar...I just don't see it. He's a massive downgrade on CG in both footballing ability and fitness.
This season has been harder on CG as his partners at the back have been chopped and changed, look at last season with a settled centre back pair, he was a colossus.
Also his long range passing and ability to get us up the park in a matter of seconds won't be easy to replace.
Yes he's not perfect, wouldn't be at rangers if he was unfortunately, but I think we'll struggle to replace him with such a consistent defender.
Souttar to me is a typical no nonsense scottish defender, he'll do a job when fit but honestly I don't rate him any higher than say porteous for example (albeit less of a liability)

We haven’t quoted streets or reg numbers mate

A poster has suggested he has moved his life away from Glasgow already - I live on the same estate and clearly so does another poster.

No big deal
Due to the wonders of technology and descriptions on this thread I now know exactly where he lives and that he’s no’ in :)

I hope you're right regarding souttar...I just don't see it. He's a massive downgrade on CG in both footballing ability and fitness.
This season has been harder on CG as his partners at the back have been chopped and changed, look at last season with a settled centre back pair, he was a colossus.
Also his long range passing and ability to get us up the park in a matter of seconds won't be easy to replace.
Yes he's not perfect, wouldn't be at rangers if he was unfortunately, but I think we'll struggle to replace him with such a consistent defender.
Souttar to me is a typical no nonsense scottish defender, he'll do a job when fit but honestly I don't rate him any higher than say porteous for example (albeit less of a liability)

Somewhere in between, regards Souttar for me.

He's a much better central defender than Porteous imo.
Better temperament, quicker across the ground, reads situations better and is far more comfortable on the ball.

He's not on the same level as Goldson, but then, nobody else in Scotland is.

If Souttar can stay fit, he'll be a good addition to our squad, but he's not at the level to be a like for like replacement for Goldson.

Good luck to him. It’s the right time for both parties.

I hope he gets his EPL move and tbh he probably has.
I'm sure it's not just a Rangers thing but we can't be scared of change. He's been here a good few years now, sometimes it just comes to the end of a cycle. There doesn't need to be anything deeper than that.

Can picture it now, signs a new deal and starts the season to a heroes welcome. 20 minutes in, still goalless and his first long ball that goes out for a throw in half the stadium going mental :D

I’d constantly have the binoculars aimed at their house if I lived across the road from a Rangers player like Connor Goldson.

Sniper scope if it was a player like Ian Black.

It should’ve been bread and butter for lower level players, never mind a major cup final.
Yes I agree and I don't rate him as highly as some,sure he hardly missed a game and that was a plus for him but missing that easy clearance was not the first time he did it,had his platform and time with us and still has not said a thing to the fans if he is off so goodbye and good luck

Souttar has bulked up over the years but he's not near the physical presence of Goldson. He's also made of glass in comparison to Goldson.

He actually starts to turn and look behind him whilst the ball is still within playing distance. It's fucking heartbreaking and infuriating!

If you watched Frankfurts goals vs Barca and West Ham they used cut backs into the box for incoming midfielders, he was probably warned about that pre match and that caused a split second hesitation.

The way folk are going on about it you’d think he meant it, shit happens, it was a mistake, blaming the whole thing on it is way OTT though.

If you watched Frankfurts goals vs Barca and West Ham they used cut backs into the box for incoming midfielders, he was probably warned about that pre match and that caused a split second hesitation.

The way folk are going on about it you’d think he meant it, shit happens, it was a mistake, blaming the whole thing on it is way OTT though.

That wasn’t a one off balls up, we’ve lost that goal several times through him.

It happened on Saturday too inside ten minutes albeit they missed.

You’re wrong about Souttar btw, he’s an excellent passer of the ball and will step out of defence and cause the opposition problems going forward more than our current centre backs, he is certainly not a typical Scottish centre back and he is MUCH better than Porteous ffs, that’s ridiculous!

His fitness is the only issue I have with him, Goldson is almost superhuman in that regard, the most reliable player I’ve ever seen play for us.

Saturday when he puts his arms up and let’s the ball go across the face of the goal, they hit the post.

Motherwells first in the 2 each game at Ibrox.

Tav that let the player sneak in front of him, Goldson couldn’t have reached that cross.

That ball was McGregors all the way vs Motherwell if it’s the same one I’m thinking of.

Last edited:
I don't think you've ever seen Souttar play as that is the least fitting description of his style as I've ever seen. Up there with the claims that Ryan Jack was a diet Ian Black when we signed him.

Somewhere in between, regards Souttar for me.

He's a much better central defender than Porteous imo.
Better temperament, quicker across the ground, reads situations better and is far more comfortable on the ball.

He's not on the same level as Goldson, but then, nobody else in Scotland is.

If Souttar can stay fit, he'll be a good addition to our squad, but he's not at the level to be a like for like replacement for Goldson.
Anyone's better than Porteus he makes a mistake every game that's no standard at all to judge a player against.

It was a horrific error regardless of how it's spun. Didn't say he meant it. But there's simply no excuse for allowing that ball to make it across 6 yard box.

Tav that let the player sneak in front of him, Goldson couldn’t have reached that cross.

That ball was McGregors all the way vs Motherwell if it’s the same one I’m thinking of.

Goldson puts his arms up to suggest the dangers gone, that’s before it reaches the back post (Tav was poor too, I agree).

I can’t bring myself to look at the Motherwell one again but any competent centre half puts that out before it gets to the keeper.

He’s definitely away. The season is over, he’s signed nothing, Gio more or less confirmed it. We need to be looking at his replacement.

These scenario's are on the club as well to be honest.

If it becomes clear an asset isn't going to extend his deal we need to look at moving them on to recoup some money.

We need to be sharper and more proactive with our expiring contracts.
Well yeah, goes without saying. But you also can’t force a player to leave. If someone is determined to run down their deal, they will.

If Goldson hasn't signed elsewhere ( i think he has ) he risks Rangers signing another centre half, personally fans will just have to realise he's gone .......

For souttar read Alan mclaren but more injury prone.

We need to sign another two centre halfs of genuine pace and quality now that goldosn is leaving. Balogun almost certainly away and we take anything we can get for helmander

Back