The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our January track window was crap. Whether we were just skint, or were complacent, I don't know. But it cost us the league.
Surprising, as we had watched the wine grapes complacency during the 55 season. Fresh in the memory, what not to do. And we did it. Mental.

However the majority on here we’re happy when the window closed other than a centre half being brought in. Sometimes the decisions you make don’t work, unfortunately our budget meant we were dealing in the higher risk side of the equation.

I still believe Gio was significantly to blame for the injuries to our front line and to an extent the defence and midfield. Rather than play Roofe and occasionally Davis he tended to go with the same players and the volume of games stacked up. By the time we needed reinforcements, and they became injured we had a full medical room because the reinforcements had been run into the ground and Diallo was still sidelined because of a woeful half at the sty.

Are some just all a bit Rangers Da when it comes to the contract thing with players, do we really need to sell every player for instance.

If in theory we punt Bassey for close to 25 million, is it then possible to carry for instance a Goldson or Aribo leaving on a free if they give what those players have during their contract.

What was worth more to us as a club long term a fee of say 8 million for Goldson last season, or the season we had

I would expect we see players simply stay for the duration of their contract without us getting a fee quite often TBH
With Goldson I could see the point but Kent, Aribo and Morelos could all get us £10m+ each. When it gets to the point that we’re letting players valued at that price go for free then questions need to be asked of the the board.

The analysts were correct.

He didn’t fit our style of play under Gerrards 4-3-3. He looked lost at the beginning of the season, didn’t know when to drop into RB (like Jack did) and cover Tav. This impacted Tavs early season form as well.

He’s a perfect fit for Gio’s 4-2-3-1 in the double pivot and has played arguably his best games as the RCB in a back 3.

Gio made him (and Bassey) the players we see today.
Correct. Absolute no doubting that.

I said it wasn't Wilson who pushed for Lundstram that was all.

I think that if Forrest go up Goldson will go to them.
Not ITK info or my neighbours dogs best pals auntie
Just a hunch that he is waiting for something to happen elsewhere before he decides

With Goldson I could see the point but Kent, Aribo and Morelos could all get us £10m+ each. When it gets to the point that we’re letting players valued at that price go for free then questions need to be asked of the the board.

I wouldn't be shocked if we extended one of those, sold one and let the other left under freedom of contract.

I do expect it to happen now and then with the way the market works in favor of players these days

Are some just all a bit Rangers Da when it comes to the contract thing with players, do we really need to sell every player for instance.

If in theory we punt Bassey for close to 25 million, is it then possible to carry for instance a Goldson or Aribo leaving on a free if they give what those players have during their contract.

What was worth more to us as a club long term a fee of say 8 million for Goldson last season, or the season we had

I would expect we see players simply stay for the duration of their contract without us getting a fee quite often TBH
You can’t always rely on players in there last year putting in the desired effort. Granted Goldson did But it’s happened so many times where the last year does not work out and selling is the best option regardless of what that player ment to the team. Our own God Laudrup is the perfect example.

You can’t always rely on players in there last year putting in the desired effort. Granted Goldson did But it’s happened so many times where the last year does not work out and selling is the best option regardless of what that player ment to the team. Our own God Laudrup is the perfect example.

I think that in modern football that theory is a bit BS TBH

A player chucking it in in their last year is causing as much damage to themselves as anyone else

However the majority on here we’re happy when the window closed other than a centre half being brought in. Sometimes the decisions you make don’t work, unfortunately our budget meant we were dealing in the higher risk side of the equation.

I still believe Gio was significantly to blame for the injuries to our front line and to an extent the defence and midfield. Rather than play Roofe and occasionally Davis he tended to go with the same players and the volume of games stacked up. By the time we needed reinforcements, and they became injured we had a full medical room because the reinforcements had been run into the ground and Diallo was still sidelined because of a woeful half at the sty.
Alfredo in particular wasn't looked after at all. I know it's said he got a separate injury on international duty, but he was playing strapped up for weeks, and was on his arse struggling in several games. I know he's crucial for us, but a blind man could see his body was struggling. And eventually broke down, at the money shots end of the season.
Souttar as well, I know Hearts were coming the lady's front bottom, but in the CL pot realm, they were wanting washers for him. Could be have stiffened a suspect defence at the business end of the season? Who knows. Could that bit of business, turned some games in our favour that we drew, due to a suspect defence?

A player chucking it in in their last year is causing as much damage to themselves as anyone else

Sheffield United fans thought it of Lundstram im sure there will be plenty of examples too mate.

That's a fair point although I'd rather see us selling players for good money for a prolonged period before being comfortable with watching multi million pound assets walk out the door for nothing.

A lot easier to handle when your punting players regularly for good money as opposed to when the club is posting a massive loss in the accounts and hadn't made a sale in years.

I don’t understand this notion that the board didn’t support Gerrard last summer

We had no money and just came off the back of a season with no crowds and uncertainty over crowds going into this season

We lost in excess of 20 million the season before and the board financed 2020/21 season with loans from themselves

What money did we actually have to spend last summer? Yes Celtic spent over 20 million but that was the money raised from Ajer and Edouard

Hasn’t the home grown rule hurt us a bit in Europe in recent seasons where we haven’t been able to have the strongest squads we could have because we had too many foreign players?

I’m wouldn’t be surprised to see us sign some better quality Scottish guys even if it’s from other SPFL teams. Are there any guys who fall,into that category that would improve the squad?

The only one I can think of that I’d be interested in is Ali McCann, the St Johnstone boy who went to PNE.

I always thought he had a great ability to develop into the next Ryan Jack.

It seems he’s a regular at Preston & doing well for NI too, and he’s still only 22.

I see the DR are linking they kunts with Ryan Mmaee today, he's a plyer i really hope we are looking at. Oddly enough i think GvB could adapt him into a RW who cuts in side(For all the FM hipsters a sort of inside forward deal). Much like hes done with Bassey & Lundstram position/role wise.

Boy looks a talent and his numbers are impressive, his price is the issue as reports list the Hungarians wanting between £7-9m apprently.

Bassey leaving essentially takes away 2 positions from the squad because he’s that good at LB and CB. Borna needs competition for a starting XI spot and can't be relied upon to be consistent throughout season (I say that as a big fan of Borna). Helander & Souttar won't be fit to play 2 games a week consistently and if we keep Balogun we have 3 injury prone CB's. Heart of defence needs a good look at this summer imo.

@Davger

There are always examples to prove things TBH, a fan base thinking a thing doesn't always mean it is entirely true.

Sheffield United were in the midst of being relegated and being p*sh they naturally needed people to be angry at and throw seethe at, not entirely shocked a player leaving was one of their first targets

That's a fair point although I'd rather see us selling players for good money for a prolonged period before being comfortable with watching multi million pound assets walk out the door for nothing.

A lot easier to handle when your punting players regularly for good money as opposed to when the club is posting a massive loss in the accounts and hadn't made a sale in years.

I would rather we sold players as well, 100%

But if for instance, the sale of a Patterson and Bassey could hinge players leaving under freedom of contract but it was a high level player leaving under freedom of contract, I am not entirely mad at it.

In the modern market there will be players join clubs and do so likely knowing they plan on heading out the door for free, the market has sort of shifted there.

If you told me the day Goldson walked in the door he would leave for free but we would get the service we have out of him, I would have been totally fine with that. I get that can't apply to all players but if it means adding that bit of quality now and then, it is something I can give us a pass on

I want Goldson moved on. I’m sure he’s been offered a decent deal. He’s never played as many games for any club like ours…always been backed even if he’s had a few big mistakes in games.

To be honest I’d be disappointed if we bent over backwards for him. He will never play another game in Europe if & when he leaves.

With CL football in horizon…& Goldson considering moving to Forest, WBA or whoever I don’t really want about the squad.

Well if its true about what's being said then the only reason he's considering those clubs is because his wife wants to move back to the area. All you have to do is watch the celebrations back after the game on the Saturday when the camera is on him and applauding the fans you can clearly see the emotion in his face isn't that of a man who wants to leave the club.

He's played 223 games out of a possible 235 in his 4 years at the club. Should we break the bank? No but he should be the highest earner or up with whoever is paid the most at the club.

I think you're correct in the sense that he's waiting for an offer from the EPL. If that doesn't come he'll be with us next season and beyond, in my opinion.

I just can't see him NOT getting the offer from one or two of the promoted clubs and a couple of bottom half ones too.

I’m talking about in general terms. The board gambled Champions league last summer. I simply don’t want the same thing to happen again. There’s absolutely no excuses this time.

With no player sale and losing £23m the season before what money did we have to gamble? That's what got us into trouble back in the past chasing champions league cash. The board weren't to blame for Gerrard not being able to beat 10 men for 45 minutes.

Last edited:
If we let a £10m+ player leave for nothing I'd be absolutely pretty pissed, we are not in the position to be doing that whatsoever.

Depends on other business and what we have achieved out it for me TBH.

If I thought another season of Aribo would win us the league next year and see us go deep in Europe, to me that is worth 10 million by the time you factor in what we would likely have spent on a player to replace him etc and so on.

Depends on other business and what we have achieved out it for me TBH.

If I thought another season of Aribo would win us the league next year and see us go deep in Europe, to me that is worth 10 million by the time you factor in what we would likely have spent on a player to replace him etc and so on.
For £10m I think you could replace him, achieve the same targets, have a player longer than a season and potentially make profit after that.

You think we have problems? Liverpool have Salah, Mane and Firmino ALL out of contract next summer. Folk need to understand the player is in control here. I’m sure those three, like Goldson, Morelos, Kent and Aribo, will have been offered new contracts. If they choose not to sign you have to deal with that as best you see fit. Liverpool, like us, will endeavour to do so this Summer. It’s the players decision ultimately though.

For £10m I think you could replace him, achieve the same targets, have a player longer than a season and potentially make profit after that.

Again, would depend on other business for me TBF.

I think at the moment we have a pretty good, settled football team, I mean they just made a European Final, to a certain extent money can only go so far, I am not overly into the idea of for instance us losing a clutch of them and then going into the CL games cold, but having loads of cash, I would also like us to have good football players.

While not to always use "them" as an example, I thought Celtic for instance traded their way to a worse team pretty often and helped go a way to narrowing the gap between us and them, they had money, but they were often signing worse players, as despite their title win, their current squad shows IMO.

The only one I can think of that I’d be interested in is Ali McCann, the St Johnstone boy who went to PNE.

I always thought he had a great ability to develop into the next Ryan Jack.

It seems he’s a regular at Preston & doing well for NI too, and he’s still only 22.
I agree Grigo. I was certain that we would move for him and was a bit surprised when we didn't. I remember him playing really well in a European game for St Johnstone, I think it was against Galatasaraay. Be interesting to see how he develops down south.

My biggest worry is that once again we will gamble to get into the Champions League and not sign anyone. I’ve already seen that lot in the East End linked to multiple players . We need to get players in early. Have we learned nothing over the years.

We have guaranteed group stage football no matter what, that allows the club to budget, we also made far more last season than expected.

Gio has already said there will be changes and he wants it done early. A waste of energy worrying.

BA0-C0545-8733-463-A-963-D-354668-C57-E5-F.jpg

The crash barriers gambled £20m in the hope they could double it by automatically qualifying for CL. It worked.
We speculated nothing on getting to the CL. And we didn't.
I have no clue as to their financial position, but we didn't have to spend anywhere near £20m. A quarter of that would have done us well imo.
They sold Edouard, Christie and Ajer to refresh their team. We sold nobody so we had no money to refresh.
It will be a different Rangers next season.
Celtic are about to spend £15m to stand still by signing loanees.

You think we have problems? Liverpool have Salah, Mane and Firmino ALL out of contract next summer. Folk need to understand the player is in control here. I’m sure those three, like Goldson, Morelos, Kent and Aribo, will have been offered new contracts. If they choose not to sign you have to deal with that as best you see fit. Liverpool, like us, will endeavour to do so this Summer. It’s the players decision ultimately though.

Liverpool aren't promoting themselves as a club that wants to buy low and sell high. We are. And we haven't done this yet.

I understand that some players will run their contracts down, like Goldson, but we have to start selling players who get to this stage, if not sooner. And, I appreciate the player has power, but not totally.

If we let a £10m+ player leave for nothing I'd be absolutely pretty pissed, we are not in the position to be doing that whatsoever.

You don’t “let” the player leave, you need the following -

- suitable bid
- willingness to sell
- appropriate replacement
- a player who is prepared to leave in contract when he could get better under freedom

All the above need to come together, players and agents know they can maximise value under a free, it’s just the way it goes

I agree Grigo. I was certain that we would move for him and was a bit surprised when we didn't. I remember him playing really well in a European game for St Johnstone, I think it was against Galatasaraay. Be interesting to see how he develops down south.

Yes, he was outstanding in Istanbul Max. I watched that match & he was actually my MOTM.

He never just showed athleticism & energy but he showed real composure for such a young guy.

Just a balance between keeping your best players and cashing in on that one asset that will net you a big fee when his stock is highest. We have saw how players values can rise and fall over a season or two and also contract length etc
Kinda need to do both I suppose.

I think you're correct in the sense that he's waiting for an offer from the EPL. If that doesn't come he'll be with us next season and beyond, in my opinion.

I just can't see him NOT getting the offer from one or two of the promoted clubs and a couple of bottom half ones too.
No thanks. Not wanting to be Uber staunch, but if he wants to go then we don’t want him.

If you didn’t know him, would you be pleased at us throwing £35k per week for 3 years at a 30 year old? It completely flies in the face of what we are trying to do with player trading.

Goldson was good, but we have had better and could go out and sign better tomorrow.

Tbh. If you signed Goldson for 5k on a 3 year contract. Gave him a crack at the Champions League, we could sell him next year a recoup any money you spent on him fairly easily.

The problem is, from what i heard, its Goldsons wife wanting to move back closer to home. Dont think money is the motivating factor
She can go and he can stay. I have worked away most of my 31year married life. She will adapt and so will he:)

No thanks. Not wanting to be Uber staunch, but if he wants to go then we don’t want him.

If you didn’t know him, would you be pleased at us throwing £35k per week for 3 years at a 30 year old? It completely flies in the face of what we are trying to do with player trading.

Goldson was good, but we have had better and could go out and sign better tomorrow.

Does that not entirely depend on the 30 year old?

I expect at 33 Goldson will still be in pretty excellent physical condition.

player trading also means having a platform in place that players can come and play on and excel their value, we aren't going to have an entire squad of sellable assets.

We won the league in part thanks to performance of two players over the age of 35

- suitable bid
- willingness to sell
- a player who is prepared to leave in contract when he could get better under freedom

All the above need to come together, players and agents know they can maximise value under a free, it’s just the way it goes
I think this is why we need to know the commitment of our most sellable assets 2 years before their contracts expires.

Either they are signing up for an extension. Or we scope the market for potential buyers, and look at replacements ourselves. 2 years is a long time for any player to hold out for a move, and even more difficult when there are potential replacements coming in that may lead to them getting less game time.

The crash barriers gambled £20m in the hope they could double it by automatically qualifying for CL. It worked.
We speculated nothing on getting to the CL. And we didn't.
I have no clue as to their financial position, but we didn't have to spend anywhere near £20m. A quarter of that would have done us well imo.

I have no idea how much either of us could afford to spend or gamble on. And it has nothing to do with my post either.

The post I quoted claimed they had a better 2 windows than us. Which I said was no surprise given the fact they outspent us massively.

If they do so again, then they will probably have better windows again.

Basically said him and his staff will do as much work as possible between now and the window opening so deals are done ASAP.
Wait til Wilson hears that :))

I do hope Gio is having a right good say in terms of this summer. Simply put, I think Wilson is in last chance saloon re signings and has to vastly improve the hit rate.

I’m positive given the Dutch aren’t known to suffer fools gladly that he’s putting his point across firmly as to what he wants.

- suitable bid
- willingness to sell

You need just as much to fall in place to replace them after they leave as well.

If we don't get any bids then keep trying to sign them on another contract, if they still reject it then fair enough not much we can do. If we reject bids however and let them run their contract down knowing we could have got money, then that is absolute craziness. I don't think we will have any problem attracting bids for them if that is the case anyway.

I get the impression, while reading posts on this thread, that a lot of people are worried about the manager and coaching staff's ability to find decent players. Seems to be an underlying trust issue with the staff with regards to finding players who will fit into our team.

Lets just wait and see what happens during the summer.

This Rangers da pish is cringey as %^*&.

Can admin get an autocorrect for it??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back