The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ross Wilson stuff I read on here annoys the life out of me.

He's Director of Football Operations. Transfers are only one element of what he oversees, and even then it's not like he goes out and signs players with no input from anyone else at the club.

Our club had an unbeaten league campaign last season and made the final of the Europa League this season with a wage budget nowhere near many of the sides who were in there with us. This notion that our footballing operations are shambolic just because the Ramsey signing didn't work out are a nonsense.

If you're only focusing on transfers to judge the job Ross Wilson is doing, it's akin to judging Tavernier as a player based upon the fact he sometimes got caught out at the back post.

He's Director of Football Operations. Transfers are only one element of what he oversees, and even then it's not like he goes out and signs players with no input from anyone else at the club.

Our club had an unbeaten league campaign last season and made the final of the Europa League this season with a wage budget nowhere near many of the sides who were in there with us. This notion that our footballing operations are shambolic just because the Ramsey signing didn't work out are a nonsense.

If you're only focusing on transfers to judge the job Ross Wilson is doing, it's akin to judging Tavernier as a player based upon the fact he sometimes got caught out at the back post.
Thats far too sensible a post

If we let a £10m+ player leave for nothing I'd be absolutely pretty pissed, we are not in the position to be doing that whatsoever.
Part of the issue with that though is that players generally tend to sign four year deals.

To get optimum value out of players then, we need to sell them midway through their contracts if they won’t sign extensions.

Which sounds fine on paper, but the flip side to that is it doesn’t allow us to build any great squad unity or longevity if player turnover is so frequent.

So I think it’s inevitable that some players will either leave for less if, like Kent, Aribo, Morelos, etc, they’re in the final year of their contracts, or nothing at all in Goldson’s case.

The question there is: have they added value to the club during that time?

In all cases of the above quartet for instance, I think the answer has to be yes when you look at the success we’ve enjoyed in the last two years especially.

However the majority on here we’re happy when the window closed other than a centre half being brought in. Sometimes the decisions you make don’t work, unfortunately our budget meant we were dealing in the higher risk side of the equation.

I still believe Gio was significantly to blame for the injuries to our front line and to an extent the defence and midfield. Rather than play Roofe and occasionally Davis he tended to go with the same players and the volume of games stacked up. By the time we needed reinforcements, and they became injured we had a full medical room because the reinforcements had been run into the ground and Diallo was still sidelined because of a woeful half at the sty.
We have a sports science team who advise the manager what minutes players can play.

Another thread ruined by the haters. Titled SUMMER 2022 transfer thread, yet destroyed by complaints about previous 2 windows.
Shut down this thread till we make signings, then usual suspects can complain about them or issue a 3 day ban to anyone who talks about previous transfer windows.

Ban this man for mentioning previous transfer windows while complaining about people talking about previous transfer windows.

Then please ban me, for mentioning previous transfer windows while flagging up this man mentioning previous transfer windows while complaining about people talking about previous transfer windows.

Please and thank you.

Part of the issue with that though is that players generally tend to sign four year deals.

To get optimum value out of players then, we need to sell them midway through their contracts if they won’t sign extensions.

Which sounds fine on paper, but the flip side to that is it doesn’t allow us to build any great squad unity or longevity if player turnover is so frequent.

So I think it’s inevitable that some players will either leave for less if, like Kent, Aribo, Morelos, etc, they’re in the final year of their contracts, or nothing at all in Goldson’s case.

The question there is: have they added value to the club during that time?

In all cases of the above quartet for instance, I think the answer has to be yes when you look at the success we’ve enjoyed in the last two years especially.
I don't think it's too big an ask for players to add value to the club and still make us a fee at the end of it.

Players leaving halfway through contracts isn't a huge issue either as long as it is not eleven players doing it every two seasons. It's not like Ajax sell their spine every other season.

I think you're correct in the sense that he's waiting for an offer from the EPL. If that doesn't come he'll be with us next season and beyond, in my opinion.

I just can't see him NOT getting the offer from one or two of the promoted clubs and a couple of bottom half ones too.

How much longer do we give him though ? There comes a point when both us and him need to move on. We cannot hang about for him to confirm he's staying or not if we're serious about qualifying for the CL.

You can't talk about wanting business done earlier and then hold a chunk of change back incase Goldson changes his mind. What if Gio has already sourced his replacements ?

Mind when Kyrgiakos messed us about and whored himself to half of Europe before coming back with his tail between his legs ? Despite buying two guys on massive contracts to replace him McLeish then resigned him late in the window.

For everyone's sake this needs put to be one way or another soon. We cannot go into this summer with it hanging over us still.

Goldson's been a great buy for £3m. But delaying plans for him to wait and see if someone half decent down south wants him ? Nah, not for me. And it shouldn't be for the club either.

FWIW, I think he already knows where he's playing next season and has done for a while.

Hopefully we get the bulk of our business - in and out - done for the players returning for pre-season. The only thing that worries me is these stupid summer internationals. They're going until the middle of June, so that means Bassey, Aribo, Jack, Sakala and then the young team won't be getting any real time off. That doesn't count for potentially having Balogun and Davis for another year too or the players we bring in who might be playing for their countries.

I wish international football would just f**k off. There's too many club games as it is.

The only one I can think of that I’d be interested in is Ali McCann, the St Johnstone boy who went to PNE.

I always thought he had a great ability to develop into the next Ryan Jack.

It seems he’s a regular at Preston & doing well for NI too, and he’s still only 22.

He was one player up here I really thought we should have gone for. Very good technically and energy to burn.

How much longer do we give him though ? There comes a point when both us and him need to move on. We cannot hang about for him to confirm he's staying or not if we're serious about qualifying for the CL.

You can't talk about wanting business done earlier and then hold a chunk of change back incase Goldson changes his mind. What if Gio has already sourced his replacements ?

Mind when Kyrgiakos messed us about and whored himself to half of Europe before coming back with his tail between his legs ? Despite buying two guys on massive contracts to replace him McLeish then resigned him late in the window.

For everyone's sake this needs put to be one way or another soon. We cannot go into this summer with it hanging over us still.

Goldson's been a great buy for £3m. But delaying plans for him to wait and see if someone half decent down south wants him ? Nah, not for me. And it shouldn't be for the club either.

FWIW, I think he already knows where he's playing next season and has done for a while.

The only, small at best, reason Goldson and his retention is even a conversation is because of a want for people to see him stay - if you remove yourself from that for even a second he is gone, won't be here and I expect we have been planning for that for months

Liverpool aren't promoting themselves as a club that wants to buy low and sell high. We are. And we haven't done this yet.

I understand that some players will run their contracts down, like Goldson, but we have to start selling players who get to this stage, if not sooner. And, I appreciate the player has power, but not totally.
Doesn’t matter how you want to promote yourself. If the player either doesn’t want to go to any club that bids for him, prefers to run down his contract and get a bumper signing on fee and wages, or simply wants to hang on to see if you will eventually pay him what he’s asking, then you are kinda snookered.

Goldson chose to hang on and, over the course if the season, played well. The notion that you can force them out, or even banish them to the kids (which primarily hurts the club in reality) is false. If the Liverpool three refuse extensions you can be sure Klopp won’t banish Salah, Mane and Firmino to the kids. Worst case for the player is they sit tight from Aug-Dec and then sign a pre-contract elsewhere.

All that said, you would hope that both club and player see the benefits of either signing the extension or moving on for a fee. I’m hopeful on Kent and Morelos. Less sure on Aribo. Ultimately though, I remain of the view it’s the players call.

Another thread ruined by the haters. Titled SUMMER 2022 transfer thread, yet destroyed by complaints about previous 2 windows.
Shut down this thread till we make signings, then usual suspects can complain about them or issue a 3 day ban to anyone who talks about previous transfer windows.
The thread is hanging by a thread:oops:

Said much the same earlier, pretty much every part of the ‘football department’ is working well, the womans team are champions, we have the best youth set up in the country and it’s not even close and we have a batch of young players genuinely chapping at the door for the first time in an age.

The quality of our first team squad relative to our budget is pretty damn good otherwise we don’t get near a European final, yet you have folk slating Wilson because a loan signing, that 99% of folk were over the moon about, didn’t work out.

Not every signing will work, and as you say that’s not solely down to him, but I suppose like every workplace the buck (should) stop at the top. However we are fishing in a quite restrictive pond and sometimes we’ll get really lucky, like Morelos/Aribo/Hagi or be burned like Itten who hasnt shown the form he did before he arrived. People expecting perfection are always going to be disappointed.

Said much the same earlier, pretty much every part of the ‘football department’ is working well, the womans team are champions, we have the best youth set up in the country and it’s not even close and we have a batch of young players genuinely chapping at the team door for the first time in an age.

The quality of our first team squad relative to our budget is pretty damn good otherwise we don’t get near a European final, yet you have folk slating Wilson because a loan signing, that 99% of folk were over the moon about, didn’t work out.

Lets be honest here, the womans team is not a consideration when it comes to how the football department is being judged. They could wipe the board clean with every trophy but if the mens have a bad season very few are going to console themselves with a good season from the womans team.

Don’t recall seeing any more stories about Pablo Torre since the end of last year.

If there was ever genuine interest do we think that the emergence of Lowry puts that on the back burner?

Doesn’t matter how you want to promote yourself. If the player either doesn’t want to go to any club that bids for him, prefers to run down his contract and get a bumper signing on fee and wages, or simply wants to hang on to see if you will eventually pay him what he’s asking, then you are kinda snookered.

Goldson chose to hang on and, over the course if the season, played well. The notion that you can force them out, or even banish them to the kids (which primarily hurts the club in reality) is false. If the Liverpool three refuse extensions you can be sure Klopp won’t banish Salah, Mane and Firmino to the kids. Worst case for the player is they sit tight from Aug-Dec and then sign a pre-contract elsewhere.

All that said, you would hope that both club and player see the benefits of either signing the extension or moving on for a fee. I’m hopeful on Kent and Morelos. Less sure on Aribo. Ultimately though, I remain of the view it’s the players call.

It does matter. We have said that this is our new modus operandi. If clubs don't want to buy our players or the players don't want to leave then we (those in charge) have failed.

Liverpool are in a position where they can have players run down their contracts - they aren't fussed about losing them for nothing, they are more concerned about not having them. We can't afford to do this.

I agree that it isn't a case of one size fits all. We always have to adapt. But we have to start doing this better. Otherwise those in charge look foolish for trying to promote this new way (for us).

Lets be honest here, the womans team is not a consideration when it comes to how the football department is being judged. They could wipe the board clean with every trophy but if the mens have a bad season very few are going to console themselves with a good season from the womans team.

It’s part of the director of footballs remit though.

Correct. People saying that he only scored 3 and had 20 assists fail to realise that if he was scoring 20 and having 20 assists he would never be at Rangers. He is a phenomenal team player and, of aribo kamara and kent, the one i would hold on to.
Yep. What I usually bemoan is the fact that he is more of a winger/attacking midfielder than a front-line striker. And we should play the latter instead of him in a "striker-role", while Kent should weave his magic from the wing/free-role instead.

There is a serious lack of class but close to the end of their career Dutch players kicking about

I still wear my 2016 Van Persie home top to 5s now and then

They sold Edouard, Christie and Ajer to refresh their team. We sold nobody so we had no money to refresh.
It will be a different Rangers next season.
Celtic are about to spend £15m to stand still by signing loanees.
I think we probably didn't have the funds for a spree in January. I just think that some kind of speculation is prudent, with an eye on automatic CL.
They did spend heavily, and it went well.
As i say, we had certainly no need to spunk £20m to win the league. Nowhere near it.
But some kind of investment for a greater return.
However, we still have a chance of CL, if we are proactive in the next few weeks.

Hopefully we do our business early and learn from the disaster that was the January window. This is a big window for Ross Wilson IMO.

The only, small at best, reason Goldson and his retention is even a conversation is because of a want for people to see him stay - if you remove yourself from that for even a second he is gone, won't be here and I expect we have been planning for that for months

I suspect we knew that last summer and placated Gerrard by being 'comfortable' with him seeing out his deal.

Clearly the board gambled that getting the CL jackpot was worth foregoing the fee we'd have got for him although I wonder if his age was a factor. He's not ancient obviously but not many players in their late 20's are going for a decent fee from this league.

If we don't punt or tie down Aribo, Morelos and Kent this summer we'll find that out again.

This transfer thread is more popular than any I've been part of before coming in at 7 PoP/D (pages of pish per day). Seven whole pages since I last checked this and it's just a load of shite.

I think SG is going to come in with big bids for Bassey and Aribo. Not read all the thread sorry if been said before.

I hope Gio has some solid transfer targets as we’re going to need them imo.

This team just punched about a few big hitters so going to be plenty sniffing about.

Gerrard wont touch any of our players, he’s shopping in a totally different market.

Aribo - Coutinho
Goldson - Kamara

Villa wont be paying £25mil plus to sign Bassey as a back up to Digne.

He was one player up here I really thought we should have gone for. Very good technically and energy to burn.

Agree ZS.

When Jack hasn’t been there we’ve seen holes in our defence as a unit. Eg 60-80 minutes v Leipzig.

This kid is better without the ball than with it, but we have other guys that can hurt teams & im hoping we will have more next season.

Added Mr. Stewart after some rumours in The Mirror (via Ibroxnews website)

IN - Ross Stewart (25) - ST, Sunderland, contract 6/2023 - LINK - TM

I would assume that if we get anything north of 15m, better north of 20m for Bassey, we will probably take it. In the here and now, it will be our business model, as Gio will want a fair amount of money to craft his own side. Shame that we "had" to do it for Patterson too, who eventually went for 12m. Obviously, no-one knows what will be offered for other players and how quickly we want to get any targets - after all, we simply need to be ready and raring to go from the off to avoid another Malmö.

Bruce Anderson from Livingston is one player I think we should be looking at, only 23 and has pretty good stats.

In the league his goals per minute ratio is better than any Rangers player and his assists per minute is better than Sakala and Aribo. He got those stats with low quality players playing around him, imagine what he could do with better players around him.

Might be a good 'home grown' squad filler. Livingston would probably want too much money for him though.

Bruce Anderson from Livingston is one player I think we should be looking at, only 23 and has pretty good stats.

In the league his goals per minute ratio is better than any Rangers player and his assists per minute is better than Sakala and Aribo. He got those stats with low quality players playing around him, imagine what he could do with better players around him.

Livingston would probably want too much money for him though.
We want to win the league not avoid relegation.

Livingston would probably want too much money for him though.

brad-pitt.gif

Might be a good 'home grown' squad filler. Livingston would probably want too much money for him though.

Thank god your not in charge of our transfers, jesus wept!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back