Calvin Bassey discussion thread

We have to sell at £25M.

I do worry though that we're losing Goldson & Bassey at the same time.

Major surgery in defence is required.

If we sell for £25m then surely this allows us to give Goldson a healthy handshake to extend his deal? Giving him a mill or two gives us that continuity which will be crucial whilst also delivering against his pay asks. (Without breaking wage structure)

Hopefully we can keep him.

If we sell for £25m then surely this allows us to give Goldson a healthy handshake to extend his deal? Giving him a mill or two gives us that continuity which will be crucial whilst also delivering against his pay asks. (Without breaking wage structure)

Hopefully we can keep him.
Theres no “healthy handshake” .

Goldson has signed for someone else and is in the process of moving.

We thank him and we move on.

PS I’d have loved him to stay but it’s done.

£25 mil is a fair value but we really need £26 mil just to annoy our accounts over at the filth. A record outgoing and they would go mental.

Hell of a player but we can rebuild with this money and really strengthen our depth also.

Exactly and this needs to be the model we adopt going forward.

Realistically we should've sold Morelos when we were being offered north of £15m.

We're the only club in the world with fans who are scared of selling players it's a bit weird tbh.

It’s been conditioned for years with our support. We need to embrace the model and have confidence that we’ll keep developing.

I think his move after this one will be the big one, a large % sell on clause must be inserted as two seasons on fire in the EPL will see his value rise x 2 or 3? unless one of the big clubs think ahead and pay huge money now.

We don't want to see Calvin leave, but £ 27- £ 30 million and he'll go with our best wishes. He has a wonderful future ahead of him, wherever he wants to play football. He's been superb for us.
I’m pretty confident we can get £30M for him, if we hold our nerve.

Going to be a tough couple of weeks. Looks like all we will here about is departures until the management team get back from holiday. There is virtually no break now between one season ending and the next starting.

Would love to see big Calvin in a Rangers jersey next season and beyond, however, IF we can get around £30M for him then it is a no brainer and we must sell him to allow us to offer improved contracts to some and to reinvest in the squad.

As has been said, the "Selling Model" has been spoken about for a couple of seasons now. This is exactly what we need to do, buy young talent, develop and sell.

No we wouldn’t as he is still under contract , great money yes but our Board also want our squad into winner’s and selling at first chance won’t help
We turn down bids of x amount to keep him for the coming season, he has a poor season or gets a bad injury.

We have to sell him if an acceptable bid comes in.

The "bidding war" validates the asking price of club, and strengthens that figure markedly; it's naive to suggest it doesn't affect a transfer fee.

players in Scotland have a glass ceiling valve.
Which is £25-£30M (at the moment).
If we are offered anything around this price we have to take it, because regardless of the season he has this coming year in a Rangers top, he’d never be worth more.

If we can get another season out of him, a new contract and then £25M next summer would be ideal.
I do think that the sale of Bassey is Gio’s chance at a full squad transition this year.

As stated by others.
If it’s going to happen, do it early and get 3/4 nailed on starters in ASAP.

We turn down bids of x amount to keep him for the coming season, he has a poor season or gets a bad injury.

We have to sell him if an acceptable bid comes in.
Nope, we want to win football matches. If the player is screaming to leave then sell him as you only want players who want to be here but to sell a happy player then no

Got to be £25mill+ for number reasons his performances his potential and to break the record transfer the scum will timplode and add on the sell on clause he could become the most successful player to come out of Scotland

I reckon a deal will be done for around £30 million plus sell ons. Hopefully a bidding war. He is an amazing left back/centre back and still improving.
I actually think it will be closer to 30 mill than 25 mill. The up front cash is important as well, as is a sell on.

Tricky deal, it wont be easy but for all his detractors on here i think RW got a better deal for NP than most would have imagined possible.

Imagine he will be relishing the challenges this deal will bring as well.

We have to sell at £25M.

I do worry though that we're losing Goldson & Bassey at the same time.

Major surgery in defence is required.
Given how we’ve overperformed in Europe this season if we get £25m for Bassey the manager will get a big chunk of that for transfers

He has really came into his own as a player for us - Easily my favourite player at Rangers just now.

But if we can get in the region of the figures being quoted then it's tremendous business for the club.

He really could turn into a top level player.

This will be making them sick across the city. If we sell the big man for a record fee it basically makes up for the money we would lose if we don’t make the CL.

And half of their CL money goes to clubs for 3 players they already have.

Some may argue they were financial doping this year.

His stock is really high right now, we all believe he will get better and better.
But we also believed the same about Borna and even Alfie and that we'd get a much bigger fee, which hasn't come.

There are two guys on here who seem solid enough sources who live next to him and have confirmed he’s away down south and house packed up
And also his neighbour on here has said this isn't the case - his cars are still in his driveway and theres no sign of a family moving out (removals/packing up).

So it's a faceless internet forum, take it all with a pinch of salt. While it's likely he's away, until its confirmed anything can happen.

And also his neighbour on here has said this isn't the case - his cars are still in his driveway and theres no sign of a family moving out (removals/packing up).

So it's a faceless internet forum, take it all with a pinch of salt. While it's likely he's away, until its confirmed anything can happen.
There are no signs whatsoever that he’s going to stay. But of course factually until we see him in another teams kit holding the scarf above his head then he’s not “away”.

It really is head wrecking that we are likely going to make the best part 40 million on two players who weren't in our first 11 12 months ago

Not to dwell on but if we had the season we had, sold those two players, and won the league.

I mean it would have been hard not to start signing HWG10IAR

I love Bassey, genuinely think he’s got the ability to go on to be one of the worlds best left backs. England will be kicking themselves not to have him.

Take 30m just to annoy the filth :)

In all seriousness I’d be gutted to see him go but we can’t not turn down money like that.

Sell sell sell if we can get the money mentioned in this thread, anything could happen next season but one thing that won't is the price going up more due to there being a ceiling on how much someone playing in Scotland is valued.

One thing I will say (with the exception of the odd bell-end on Twitter and on here), wait until you see the difference in reactions to one of our star players leaving us, and leaving them. Despite being disappointed, we will all be eager for Bassey to do well and hope he is a success wherever he goes.

Calvin Bassey has been tremendous over the last 6 weeks. But I very much believe he is in a purple patch of form and don't think his current levels are sustainable due to him still being so young. It would be absolute madness to reject any offer over 25 million. He could pick up an injury in pre season or suffer a dip in form as has happened in recent season with the likes of Alfie and Aribo. We must sell if the offer is there.

Back