The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benefit of hindsight. In an alternative world Diallo hit the ground running like Weiss and Ramsay bosses the games against the dross and scores “that” penalty. Such fine margins.
We aren’t in an alternative world though, we are in the real world you nutbar :))

Judging wilson on an “alternative world”. Seen it all now

I would seriously like to know where your getting all these figures from.

We haven’t paid an transfer fee of note since Roofe.

We have brought in Tonnes of European money in the last few seasons.

If we don’t have the money to spend on 3 decent players we are having the piss ripped out of us just like Uefa cup final tickets.
You’re absolutely right mate. That season of Covid when we had no income except season ticket money and we lost millions just didn’t happen.

We aren’t in an alternative world though, we are in the real world you nutbar :))

Judging wilson on an “alternative world”. Seen it all now
I was just meaning how tiny margins we operate in. No one said at the time they were the wrong signings to make. We were all delighted in them!

Some amount of mental gymnastics and willfully obtuse shite just to justify having a go at this year's board boogie man.
If Stewart Robertson has a FF login he will now be delighted it’s Ross Wilson who is now public enemy number 1. B-D

My favourite was the poster who said he couldn’t be credited with a single good signing because Lundstram was a Gerrard signing and nothing to do with Wilson.

Was he asked to go out and find multiple players for the starting line up? Or did Gerrard say I want some additional squad players and to keep my winning team intact? If his remit was to take a punt on a bunch of cheap/free players and hope some worked out then he did that well. If he was told to sign a few first team regulars then he flopped. We don’t know.

I also very much doubt he was asked to find first team players to buy outright in January when Gio was just finding his feet. More likely he brought in a number of players for the gaffer to look at over the 6 months and then decide whether to buy (Sands) or extend (Ramsay or Diallo).

I don’t know what to tell you mate. You can slice it and dice it any way you like. The guy’s record over 5 windows is abysmal and nowhere near the 50% you give him.

We went into last season with a team rammed full of ageing, injury prone players. The Europa run was great but overlooks fundamental problems in our recruitment which force us to continually rely on a group players we know aren’t quite good enough (2/12 trophies) or can’t handle the volume of games we play. He’s taken punt after punt on ‘project players’. One of them (Bassey) has worked out. Lundstram worked out in the end but was probably someone Gerrard wanted.

Wilson isn’t good enough. It’s costing us trophies, titles and the Champions League twice last year.

He’s also allowed Morelos, Kent and Aribo to get into their final year. He says the right thing but the results aren’t there. A fraud.

I don’t know what to tell you mate. You can slice it and dice it any way you like. The guy’s record over 5 windows is abysmal and nowhere near the 50% you give him.

We went into last season with a team rammed full of ageing, injury prone players. The Europa run was great but overlooks fundamental problems in our recruitment which force us to continually rely on a group players we know aren’t quite good enough (2/12 trophies) or can’t handle the volume of games we play. He’s taken punt after punt on ‘project players’. One of them (Bassey) has worked out. Lundstram worked out in the end but was probably someone Gerrard wanted.

Wilson isn’t good enough. It’s costing us trophies, titles and the Champions League twice last year.

He’s also allowed Morelos, Kent and Aribo to get into their final year. He says the right thing but the results aren’t there. A fraud.

Anyone who thinks our Director of Football Operations is a fraud after the two seasons we've just had is clearly mistaken.

Anyone who thinks our Director of Football Operations is a fraud after the two seasons we've just had is clearly mistaken.

Just to be clear, you are crediting him for 55 and the Europa League final despite him barely signing any of the players who got us there? We’d have 56, have CL football to look forward to and possibly have even won the Europa League if he’d even done his job to a 6/10 standard.

Just to be clear, you are crediting him for 55 and the Europa League final despite him barely signing any of the players who got us there? We’d have 56, have CL football to look forward to and possibly have even won the Europa League if he’d even done his job to a 6/10 standard.
At least half his players contributed to the European final. But instead some will chose to blame Wilson for not saving some of the easy shots McGregor missed, not scoring the sitters our better players scored and don’t get me started on that penalty Wilson should have taken instead of Ramsay.…

He's in charge of our footballing operations. That's not just transfers, but so much more.

We've had 55 and the Europa League final, both of which were major achievements, while he has been in charge of the footballing operation.

Were he and the board poor at their jobs, they'd have sold numerous players before this season to balance the books and there's no way of knowing what effect that would have, the same as there were absolutely no ways to guarantee a league win this season regardless of the belief of many.

Wilson isn't only in charge of signing players. This has been majorly discussed earlier in this thread, so I won't repeat myself too much, but to say "the results aren't there" is just incorrect.

This thread is full of absolute shite man, except anything about any transfer rumours.

Tell us again how Ross Wilson is shite and we need to sell more players and get decent money please.

Think that this is a bit false mate.

We basically play 2-5-3 at the moment against these sides. Playing 3 at the back would be strictly more defensive than what we currently do.

Our wingbacks already get extremely high and wide against the jobbers so you would be sacrificing a midfielder for a defender in those circumstances.

3atb can be more attacking when teams play with a flat back 4 - which we don't and haven't for years and year. We were slightly more defensive when Gio first came in but he quickly unlocked the wing backs, as did Gerrard, when we were struggling.
Yep, the problem is that our top three are usually just one striker and two attackers, the latter being not that lethal. Furthermore, we actually play more like a 4-2-3-1, with our two wingbacks play often as wingers. But we still have effectively 4 players (and these two de facto fullbacks) usually not on the offensive. Kamara, Davis, Jack, Lundstram have dozens of times been employed, even when for long spells there was no need for 2 DMs.

The way I see 3-4-3s is that you have two people able to play fullback and centre-half on either side (in our case, Bassey and up till this month Balogun), with one main centre-half in the middle (e.g. Goldson). Inf ront of them would be just one DM (Jack or Lundstram, who can even cover CH) to destroy any enemy attack or fill gaps left by an advancing e.g. Bassey.

That leaves you with 3 more attack/creative minded midfielders (e.g. Kent - Aribo/Lowry - Tavernier) plus three full-attack-focussed strikers, e.g. Roofe, Morelos and Sakala.

HECK, I infiltrate my own thread!

There are no transfer rumours in this thread. Pretty much people arguing of past players etc etc. Some even having conversations with themselves.

Woke up to 8 new pages, got excited (not morning Wood related). Only to find nothing about transfers.

Can we chop this thread back or rename it and start a new transfer thread.

Pretty please.

There are no transfer rumours in this thread. Pretty much people arguing of past players etc etc. Some even having conversations with themselves.

Woke up to 8 new pages, got excited (not morning Wood related). Only to find nothing about transfers.

Pretty please.
We could have multiple threads span out of this. The “blame everything on the board and Wilson” thread, the “compare our best players with the scum” thread, the “Mcgregror new contract” thread, the “previous transfer windows” thread and then this one would be limited to a few pages

Pretty please.

we could probably cut 2000 posts from here if we cut all the "I woke up to X amount of posts but theres nothing new" posts

Its the transfer thread, embrace the madness or wait until the inevitable glory hunting new thread when a player is actually linked

Or the “I’m a spoilt brat and want loadsa new players in and I don’t care where the magic money tree comes from” thread :cool:

If any of these guys want to get their own money out & have an influence they can buy shares.

I’ve bought two batches, just for low amounts, but I get my right to complain if I want.

This thread is full of absolute shite man, except anything about any transfer rumours.

Tell us again how Ross Wilson is shite and we need to sell more players and get decent money please.
He’s shite because of the abomination of a January that cost us the league and the Europa final.
A centre back and a centre forward should have been the absalute priority.
And yes I sadly did jump on the Ramsey bandwagon more fool me.

He’s shite because of the abomination of a January that cost us the league and the Europa final.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing, everyone was happy at the end of January.

And as for a striker, again, it’s easy to say now, but Morelos is rarely injured, that was just bad luck. We weren’t going to get a top quality striker anyway on our budget who was happy to not play.

Or he’s great because he gave us some of the stand out players that got to a europa final and kept the other best players together. It’s all to easy to bash him but our players and to a lesser degree our manager leaving cost us the league, and we hugely overperformed in Europe

There is absolutely no guarantee of that. We would still have likely had our injury problems and run of bad form as the manager was experimenting with the team. These 2-3 players could have flopped and we could have been left the same place as now. Or worse, they could have disrupted what became a very solid unit of players and we could have got pumped out by Dortmund and Celtic in the semi final. It’s all it’s and buts. I could see if we had had a lot of money and used it on disco lights instead of decent players, but we didn’t.

It’s a gamble. No different to a poor bugger who’s lost his house saying “if I had put another couple of bids on x and y I could be a millionaire by now”.
We could have done better business in January.

We were screaming for a striker and ended up losing one of the biggest games we have and will ever play with out one on the park if we had won that game again we would have been straight in to the Champions league.

I can’t tell you if Gio wanted one or not that may have been the managers choice but that never helped with the league of playing Morelos till
He dropped .

We were screaming for a striker and ended up losing one of the biggest games we have and will ever play with out one on the park if we had won that game again we would have been straight in to the Champions league.

I can’t tell you if Gio wanted one or not that may have been the managers choice but that never helped with the league of playing Morelos till
He dropped .
At that time we had Alfie and Roofe fit, and Gio wanted to see what Itten was like. That was 3 strikers and then he signed two attack minded midfielders to provide goals from other areas. The board were not to know all of those failed spectacularly. I put that down to bad luck.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, everyone was happy at the end of January.

And as for a striker, again, it’s easy to say now, but Morelos is rarely injured, that was just bad luck. We weren’t going to get a top quality striker anyway on our budget who was happy to not play.
I think relying on Roofe as back up is probably the thing we could have prevented.

Ramsey and Diallo on a full season loan would have given them a chance to get fit and contribute properly- as it was it was probably a bit unfair on them to help.

Wilson took a chance given the limitations on funding that didn't really work if we're being honest.

But that shouldn't take away the incredible job the other players did for us. They deserve the upmost credit.

At that time we had Alfie and Roofe fit, and Gio wanted to see what Itten was like. That was 3 strikers and then he signed two attack minded midfielders to provide goals from other areas. The board were not to know all of those failed spectacularly. I put that down to bad luck.
Roofes never fit and Itten was never getting a game.
We hedged all our bets on Morelos playing every game looking back it was utter ****ing madness.
I remember after the transfer window guys on here saying we didn’t need a centre forward because Morelos is never injured then boom.
Last I’m saying on it because it really pisses me off.

We hedged all our bets on Morelos playing every game looking back it was utter ****ing madness.
I remember after the transfer window guys on here saying we didn’t need a centre forward because Morelos is never injured then boom.
Yeah it’s like a curse the minute someone says that! ill never tempt fate by saying “he’s never injured”! I wonder if Gio saw something in Itten he wanted him back from loan and then didn’t really seem to be calling for another striker. Big mistake in hindsight and caused us having to play midfielders up front, but I can see the thinking. 3 centre forwards all fit at the time, Sakala unproven there and a few new boys with goals in them.

I was slated on here in January saying we needed another striker so in total agreement with you

I was slated on here in January saying we needed another striker so in total agreement with you
Another striker only really impacted us in Europe though and a 3rd out and out striker still wouldn't have been included in the Euro squad as when the final squad was decided Morelos and Roofe were fit and Sakala could cover there. Yes, we missed a striker but it wouldn't have made a jot of difference as they couldn't be selected. It's a completely moot argument that's annoyed me for a while.

Another striker only really impacted us in Europe though and a 3rd out and out striker still wouldn't have been included in the Euro squad as when the final squad was decided Morelos and Roofe were fit and Sakala could cover there. Yes, we missed a striker but it wouldn't have made a jot of difference as they couldn't be selected. It's a completely moot argument that's annoyed me for a while.
It may have won use the league though

He dropped .

Some take to imply that the January window cost us the EL.
How did make the final beating 2 top German teams on the way after such poor work on the squad?
Poor goalkeeping probably cost us the league and we were very unlucky to lose the EL on PKs.
Gerrard, Wilson (& Allen before him) and Gio have all worked wonders to put this squad together forthemoney spent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back