Mark Warburton to West Ham assistant coach

Anyone else surprised that Warburton is actually older than Moyes, albeit only by a few months? I thought Warburton was maybe going to WHU with an eye on the manager's job after Moyes retires. That could still happen I suppose, but only if Moyes has further success there, then decides to pack it in. Anyway, it seems only yesterday that Warburton was "an up-and-coming young manager".

Played good football had a habit of talking absolute nonsense but altogether seemed a nice guy, sure he will get a round of applause and certainly no Ill will from me.

Couldn’t take to him, never believed he would be a success even in his good period pre Xmas in his first season.

Played very well against Dundee and Celtic in the cup but other than that was rotten after Xmas culminating in a disastrous cup final.

Still wouldn’t give him stick at Ibrox even if he weaselled his way out.

He's an ambitious bloke. I dare say part of his decision-making is that this potentially positions him one bad run of form under Moyes away from getting a caretaker audition for the top job. Only way he's ever going to get a shot at managing in the EPL.

That’s a fine move for Warburton and could be laying the foundations to take over given how West Ham historically like to be seen as an attacking, footballing team.

I hope he gets a good welcome at Ibrox personally. I mainly enjoyed his period with us, despite the odd aberration. Gave us a bit of hope back.

He done well with the shit at his disposal.

If it wasn’t for a few more moments of moments he would be a legend as a manager for us- strange how things pan out

Always thought he would make a good assistant.

He's a good training ground coach, motivator and seems to create a good atmosphere amongst his squads.

A bit of an odd clash if styles with Moyes though.

Always thought he would make a good assistant.

He's a good training ground coach, motivator and seems to create a good atmosphere amongst his squads.

A bit of an odd clash if styles with Moyes though.
Can't see why West ham brought him in personally

I would hope he’d get a decent reception. Done a job early on but didn’t work out stepping up a level. Left under a bit of a cloud but no ill will to him from me
Agree

We played some of the best stuff I’ve ever seen is play in the championship under him, proper bums off seat stuff (all be it it was in the championship and there’s clearly levels)

Wonder what reception he will get at the friendly.

We are delighted to announce the appointment of Mark Warburton as a first-team assistant coach.

The former Brentford, Rangers, Nottingham Forest and Queens Park Rangers manager has managed nearly 350 matches, winning two promotions and a succession of individual awards, and will add experience and knowhow to David Moyes’ backroom staff.
A good reception.
He improved the side and won us a promotion with some style and was unlucky not to win the cup.
A huge missed opportunity.
Eventually, he hit his own personal glass ceiling.
I think this has been proved since he left us.
A position supporting David Moyes will see him most likely at his best.

I would be disappointed if he was not given a fine reception.

He made going to Ibrox fun again.
Correct.

Anyone that went to the lower league seasons previously would tell you how we absolutely toiled, it was turgid, thoughtless and ultimately pointless.

Warburton came with a game plan, a system and an exciting and entertaining way of playing.

He made some huge mistakes but he beat Celtic with a central midfield of Holt and Halliday, mental we backed Pedro caixhainas with the money we did and not Warburton.

Ultimately he was a level below Gerrard and his coaching staff but if we gave him money it might have saved us 8 months of Murty.

He was naive, to want away from what he had here says everything; he possibly began to believe his own publicity. I was a fan, but looking elsewhere whilst Rangers manager is not something that endears me to him.

His first season, I genuinely thought we were on to something. He started well, set about modernising the club, and had a good set of ideas. Unfortunately it didn't last, cumulating in the appalling Hibs final. The way he left was not particularly good, but time has moved on. Wish him all the best, although hope we tear them a new one in the friendly

Strange looking back, Warburton put the fun and excitement back into following Rangers (or perhaps his song did) and there were some great games to savour, obviously the sc semi against them, petrofac final against Peterhead, 6-2 at Easter Road, 4-2 against hibs boxing day and a 2-1 against Aberdeen at Ibrox, off the top of my head.
But, the way he left under a cloud, still irks

Strange looking back, Warburton put the fun and excitement back into following Rangers (or perhaps his song did) and there were some great games to savour, obviously the sc semi against them, petrofac final against Peterhead, 6-2 at Easter Road, 4-2 against hibs boxing day and a 2-1 against Aberdeen at Ibrox, off the top of my head.
But, the way he left under a cloud, still irks
The 4-2 hibs in BF3 was f*king mental.

A lot of West Ham boys I know wanted him as their manager when he joined us after Brentford.

Considering where we were at the time and the resources he was given to work with he did a very decent job. When the progress slowed right down it was time for him, and us, to move on. Expect him to get an enthusiastic reception.

Got us promoted. Brought in the best rangers signing in decades in James Tavernier and put the bheasts out when we were a division below them which will NEVER be bettered.

Wont be singing his name but a polite applause shall be partaken in.

Assistant manager?

Didn't expect him to take a step back in football.
He's done all he can and had ample opportunity to actually fulfil the potential he was considered to have.

He's never a manager

Reckon he will do well as a coach. Fucking weirdo though.

In the aftermath of the tragedy of our supporters club bus crash in 2016, Mark Warburton the man conducted himself in a manner truly befitting of a Rangers manager. Our members and the families directly affected by the tragedy will always remember the sincere kindness and thoughtfulness shown by Mark in the days and weeks that followed our darkest day. I’ll leave the debate on his managerial skills to others but I can assure you that Mark Warburton is a truly fine gentleman who will always be respected by the members of our supporters club.

Mental that the board ended up giving Pedro about £10 mil to spend whilst given Warburton pennies.

Exactly, Warburton was probably a bit annoyed he wasn't being financially backed by the board so left, then ironically got replaced by a diddy coach who got serious financial backing.

People criticize Warburton and Weir for leaving but it seemed like they probably had valid reasons for it.

At least Warburton and Weir stayed reasonably respectful in what they were saying after they left, although they may have said one or two minor things they didn't really air their dirty laundry in public.

The wage budget he was working with at the time he got us into the SPFL probably wasn't all that far off some of the other teams in the league and was obviously miles away from what the scum were paying. Just the circumstances at the time.

Back