The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Lowry will be a star for us & I hope we can keep him for a while.

Often a youngster coming in to the team is a bit timid & overawed, however Lowry has bags of confidence, always demanding the ball & always looks like he can score in a game. IMO he is the ideal player to be a number 10.

If the right players are around him am not overly concerned about his defensive duties at this stage - we've needed more goals from midfield for a long time & I believe Lowry can supply them.

A ready made replacement for Aribo IMO.

This one apparently only triggered when he entered the last year of his contract though, which I'd never heard of before. As for the price, given what we got him for, I've no idea, but he was very highly rated down south and we beat a number of clubs to his signature so may be related to that. If he entered his last year and hadn't been performing then it likely would never have been mentioned as noone would've paid it.
Isn’t that exactly what Haaland had, which allowed Man City to sign him for around half his market value?

Like watching lowry play, picks up good positions, always looking to move the ball forward and always plays with his head up, not as physical as say arfield but i think over a season he will score and assist more than most of our midfield.

May become more physical as they work on muscling him up. I think Aribo did.

We sold Nathan Patterson for £12m + addons a couple of years ago.

BJhh.gif

Can’t see us getting anywhere near Aribo’s true market value if a release clause exists.

Also interesting to note that fan media are now pushing the line that he only cost £300k, conveniently omitting the signing on fee and agent fees that brought the deal closer to £2m.

Disappointment beckons methinks……
Every signing involves a signing on fee for player and agent gets a fee, its all relative.
Kent cost £7m, but would be nearer £8/9m with add ons.

Can’t see us getting anywhere near Aribo’s true market value if a release clause exists.

Also interesting to note that fan media are now pushing the line that he only cost £300k, conveniently omitting the signing on fee and agent fees that brought the deal closer to £2m.

Disappointment beckons methinks……
He’s given us 3 years of service, contributed to 55, scored in a European final and then we receive £10m for him after (ok I will humour the adding signing on fees in) £2m.

That’s a great deal and exactly what we need to be doing. We can then hopefully use a chunk of the cash to sign another player on a 4 year contract and the cycle starts again.

Like watching lowry play, picks up good positions, always looking to move the ball forward and always plays with his head up, not as physical as say arfield but i think over a season he will score and assist more than most of our midfield.

Once he becomes more defensively aware and disciplined, he'll become an even better player.

Working regularly with players like Arfield and learning that all players need to do the dirty side of the game, will see him become the full package

He’s given us 3 years of service, contributed to 55, scored in a European final and then we receive £10m for him after (ok I will humour the adding signing on fees in) £2m.

That’s a great deal and exactly what we need to be doing. We can then hopefully use a chunk of the cash to sign another player on a 4 year contract and the cycle starts again.
I hear you but I don’t think Aribo will be as easily replaced as some seem to think.

You look at his robustness for a start- 70 games played last season. Unplayable the first half of the season. A natural athlete, mussely as hell, height of a giant which helps our corner kick flick on move he does so well, also defending near post in our own box. Then you remember his goal against Braga, an iconic goal and night where he dribbled through their whole team and scored a goal davie cooper would be proud of. What other player does this?

The answer is no other player. £10 million isn’t enough, I want him kept. Sell someone else like Barisic and bring money in that way.

Dunno, seems like a narrative is being peddled. Guess we’ll soon see how it pans out.
Think the line “he came for a song” is what is questionable here.

We paid good money for him on top of the cross border compensation. It wasn’t just a “song”.

I hear you but I don’t think Aribo will be as easily replaced as some seem to think.

You look at his robustness for a start- 70 games played last season. Unplayable the first half of the season. A natural athlete, mussely as hell, height of a giant which helps our corner kick flick on move he does so well, also defending near post in our own box. Then you remember his goal against Braga, an iconic goal and night where he dribbled through their whole team and scored a goal davie cooper would be proud of. What other player does this?

The answer is no other player. £10 million isn’t enough, I want him kept. Sell someone else like Barisic and bring money in that way.
Aribo will be very difficult to replace.

Lowry isn't at the level yet to contribute what Aribo did for us.

Hopefully he will though, in the not too distant future.

Unfortunately we can’t select who we have offers for and we can’t break the wage structure to resign players. I’m sure we’ve made him our best offer.

Totally agree with your points around what he brings that we need to replace. Tall order for £10M, just shows what a great steal he was!

What we can do though is change the way we play and find a 15-20 goal a season midfielder if we reinvest that £10M I’m sure. Talk of reinvesting 30-50% of any fee makes me nervous though for this particular position. A young goalscoring midfielder with sell on potential at the £10M mark would be a shrewd investment IMO.

Reinvesting 30-50% of a Bassey type sale I’d be on board with.

Spot on, it was a glaring weakness in Aribo's game, especially in Euro games, has improved but could still do a lot better at tracking his man.

It's the one glaring weakness I see in Lowry's game too and probably why he hasn't had any minutes yet in a big game for us.

You can't carry defensive passengers against top opposition and not get punished.

However, I'm sure it's something Lowry and the coaching staff will be working hard on.

It's the one glaring weakness I see in Lowry's game too and probably why he hasn't had any minutes yet in a big game for us.

You can't carry defensive passengers against top opposition and not get punished.

However, I'm sure it's something Lowry and the coaching staff will be working hard on.
That's what Ron Jeremy used to have.

He'll be easier to replace with £10m in the bank than he would be if we let him walk out the door for nothing in 12 months time.

He'll be easier to replace with £10m in the bank than he would be if we let him walk out the door for nothing in 12 months time.
I’m holding on to hope it won’t come to that. I fail to see a player we could get for £10 million who brings what he brings.

Aribo is rare in that he's a bit of an all rounder too. A 6 foot 2 creative player with the highest dribble success and one of the highest ball recovery and dual successes in the team.

Last edited:
Think the line “he came for a song” is what is questionable here.

We paid good money for him on top of the cross border compensation. It wasn’t just a “song”.
Even with the added fees it is still “a song”. Look at fees we paid for Itten, Helander, Katic, Grezda over the past few seasons. All about the same or more with the reported additional fees added to Aribo. Then look at what he has contributed to the team compared to the others. To me even at £2m, we signed him at “a song”. Not to mention we will get, if the release clause is true 5 times the fee back where all of the other players we just hope to get/ did get our money back.

I'm all on board with the trading model of buying low and selling on for a big profit, and getting 10m for Aribo with a year left on his contract would be decent business.

I'm just struggling to understand that the release clause is that high with a year left and fear the real figure, if such a clause exists, will be significantly less than that.

I’m holding on to hope it won’t come to that. I fail to see a player we could get for £10 million who brings what he brings.
Things like this were always going to happen, no player is irreplaceable.

To me it looks almost certain he is for the off, if we reinvest the cash in a replacement plus a decent RW then we can’t complain, it’s exactly our model.

It will be hard, but not impossible, to replace him, ultimately our scouts found him, so why can’t we find another? Even a younger player with tonnes of room to improve, might harm us in the short term, but not long term.

Things like this were always going to happen, no player is irreplaceable.

To me it looks almost certain he is for the off, if we reinvest the cash in a replacement plus a decent RW then we can’t complain, it’s exactly our model.

It will be hard, but not impossible, to replace him, ultimately our scouts found him, so why can’t we find another? Even a younger player with tonnes of room to improve, might harm us in the short term, but not long term.
Name one player who could replace Aribo for £10 million mate. Who brings what he brings.

Aribo should be careful with his next move or he may well end up in The Championship in 12 months time.

Palace would be a very good move.

Forest or Fulham not so much.

Lowry shouldn’t be considered aribos direct replacement just yet. For me I’d be happy giving Lowry 20/25 games next season. We’ve seen what happens when you play a young player to much like tierney where it leads to them being chronically injured. Sell aribo for £10 million bring in a replacement and a right winger with some of that money. New signing should play a large percentage of the games with Lowry as back up to him.

I actually think Aribo will be easier to replace than people think.

My logic being in all the time he has been at the club, he’s not really nailed down a position.

He’s been a really good servant though and he was brilliant in our 55 season.

Goes with my very best wishes

Weve never had a player who is like Aribo. There aren't actually many like him in world football.

I don't mean he is one of our best or anything. He isn't. But he has quite a unique style in that he is big, physical yet carries the ball up the park with an unbelievable touch. Add to that his robustness, the fact he is left sided and is versatile and he won't be easy to replace.

We wil most likely look for a different type of player.

Name one player who could replace Aribo for £10 million mate. Who brings what he brings.
All we need to bring in is a cam who provides goals and assists, there’s thousands of them in world football. No player is irreplaceable, sure they might not be as versatile as aribo but that’s why you invest in a couple of positions with that money to mitigate Aribos absence, like a right winger as well.

I have absolutely no idea and wouldn’t pretend to.

I really like Aribo, but ultimately if he won’t sign a contract he has to be sold. We all agree that’s our model.

Very few knew much about Aribo when we signed him to begin with, it was good scouting.

So why can’t our scouts find another similar bargain again?

It’s hard, but definitely not impossible.

As others have said, if we can use the cash to bring in two, or even 3 players, it can actually end up strengthening our squad overall, not weakening it.

So keep him, but then lose him for nothing next summer if he won’t sign an extension?

I don’t know why folk are so fearful of losing players. It’s always happened and it always will, and when it comes down to it, we’ve lost better players than Joe Aribo before.

We bought him for a nominal fee and he’s transformed into a guy that’s likely to go for an eight figure sum.

He’s an outrageously talented footballer, but frustratingly one who still doesn’t appear to fully believe just how far that talent can actually go.

If we get £10m for him I think that would be an excellent bit of business and we can then use that cash to infuse the squad with greater quality and / or find the next Joe Aribo.

Aribo is rare in that he's a bit of an all rounder too. A 6 foot 2 creative player with the highest dribble success and one of the highest ball recovery and dual successes in the team.

People ofter over look the ball recovery aspect of his game. He's excellent at it.

Think it's why Gerrard was trying to turn him into a Yaya Toure clone, but he's got so much more to offer attacking wise to be restricted like that IMO

This is not going to go down well with some but it Seems that the Aribo we had in December who came back from African nations cup games in January and struggled to impress is all but forgotten and was subbed or on the bench up until late March- he only appeared to up his performances when injuries to other key players began to impact the team.

For me Aribo has his qualities in closing down opposing players, running at them and can open up defences with his passing but all too often he tries to take on one too many players while in possession and loses the ball- when it this tactic works for him, it looks brilliant and shows he has the quality but as I said previously he doesn’t succeed with this part of his game often enough

Could Lowry do Aribo’s job? I believe he could as he has already shown that he has the ability to open up defences with his passing and is not afraid to have a go at goal

I actually think Aribo will be easier to replace than people think.

My logic being in all the time he has been at the club, he’s not really nailed down a position.

He’s been a really good servant though and he was brilliant in our 55 season.

Goes with my very best wishes

The opposite is true. He's hasn't "nailed down" a position because one of his biggest strengths is his versatility. He can play several different positions to a very high standard.

To win the league back attacking talent is what we need. We have enough solid physical players and tidy continuity players. We need more Tav, Kent, Buff level threats.

I'd blow the budget on the forward areas whatever the budget may be. Having high level options to rotate and not have to run Buff into the ground is most important

Some amount of pressure going on the shoulders of young Lowry this summer if some of these posts are anything to go by

Still needs to develop physically and won’t be asked to play 30+ games, if / when Aribo goes we need someone fully ready to go into first team and let Lowry develop into the fine player he will undoubtedly be with good pros around him

This is not going to go down well with some but it Seems that the Aribo we had in December who came back from African nations cup games in January and struggled to impress is all but forgotten and was subbed or on the bench up until late March- he only appeared to up his performances when injuries to other key players began to impact the team.

For me Aribo has his qualities in closing down opposing players, running at them but all too often tries to take on one too many players while in possession and loses the ball- when it this tactic works for him, it looks brilliant and shows he has the quality but as I said previously he doesn’t succeed with this part of his game often enough

Aribos lack of sharpness or fluctuating sharpness is surely down to a 70+ game season. Literally played more minutes than any other player in world football. It's a miracle he didn't break down injured.

That said, if he stays asking him to do another 60 this season's and a world cup is surely too much and Lowry has to be given 10-15 games from the start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back