Our worst transfers ever?

Captain_America

I'm bored so anyway lol just been sitting here thinking about our worst transfers ever? Who you got? Now mine will only be since I've been a Rangers fan so quite sure ya'll might offer different choices. From my perspective since I've been a fan these are my top three in no particular order:

Joey Barton-I thought at the time he still had something in the tank and could be quite good here. Yes, was a prick then as he has always been but I could overlook that. However, as well all know he was a total bust in more ways than one.

James Beattie-Past his best when we got him and it showed.

Carlos Pena-Horrific, simple enough.

Sendeross, Barton, Konterman, Boyd second time around. From a purely financial perspective Prodan was bad, cost a lot of money for the time and never played a game.

Austria Vienna really mugged us off for Sebo too.

Edit: can’t believe I forgot to mention Ramsey, in terms of measuring the actual return against the expectation and excitement on signing there can’t be many worse. What an utter let down.

Last edited:
Sendeross, Barton, Konterman, Boyd second time around. From a purely financial perspective Prodan was bad, cost a lot of money for the time and never played a game.

Austria Vienna really mugged us off for Sebo too.
Boyd the second time around doesn’t get spoken about enough.

He was an utter disgrace. I remember him laughing when he came on in the play off game v Hibs because he was so overweight.

Boyd the second time around doesn’t get spoken about enough.

He was an utter disgrace. I remember him laughing when he came on in the play off game v Hibs because he was so overweight.
Slimmed down to play for Killie, came back to us and clearly treated it as some sort of holiday because he just ballooned up again. Before once again going back to Killie and getting in shape. Boydy’s won me over again over the last couple of years but he was a utter disgrace during that second stint.

Not even sure how that makes sense! He wasn’t value for money, but with a very respectable goal return he was never a disaster either.
People also forget the £7.5m we got back for him.

Signed because Murray had a hard on for spending 8 figures on a striker.

Like all of his famed spending, he was playing Billy Big Balls with money he was borrowing on behalf of us.

Can’t see past Pena. From his first touch you could see that the guy wasn’t fit to be a professional athlete anymore.

Signings in Advocaat’s last full season were poor at a time we really should have moved up another level.
Konterman for £5.5m was an utter disgrace. Centre half that jumped out of tackles.

Tore Andre Flo.

His goal return was good but was a terrible signing.

I honestly thought at the time we were brining in Christian Vieiri so I was against him from the start.
He had a great goals to game ratio but was he not scoring 2/3/4 in some games then not scoring for 2 or 3 games n a row?

Dragan Mladenovic.

He just didn’t do anything. He existed, that’s all you can really say. Barry Horne’s ‘Serbian Zidane’ quote is surely the worst bit of hype ever uttered.

Our central midfield pairing against CSKA at Ibrox was him and Stephen Hughes. He was hooked for Marvin Andrews with ten minutes to go.

CUKf_wtXAAAkHrK

Slimmed down to play for Killie, came back to us and clearly treated it as some sort of holiday because he just ballooned up again. Before once again going back to Killie and getting in shape. Boydy’s won me over again over the last couple of years but he was a utter disgrace during that second stint.
It’s also quite hard to state how undisciplined you have to be, to reach that sort of shape during an active year in your career. Calorie wise, these boys are comfortably burning through 3500 calories a day at least during training days. Games, plenty more. To actually put weight on the way he did during a season is a mental level of food or alcohol intake for an athlete.

It’s also quite hard to state how undisciplined you have to be, to reach that sort of shape during an active year in your career. Calorie wise, these boys are comfortably burning through 3500 calories a day at least during training days. Games, plenty more. To actually put weight on the way he did during a season is a mental level of food or alcohol intake for an athlete.
It takes a serious lack of professionalism, but as much as I love him it really felt like Ally was a bit of David Brent type boss who wanted to be liked more than anything else and so created this piss poor holiday camp vibe at Auchenhowie.

Konterman, simply wasn't suited to Scottish football and was woefully ineffective against O'Neills team of NFL players. Summed up the last 18 months of Advocaats reign which was disastrous for the club and something we've never quite recovered from.

Flo as well, a very expensive flat track bully.

I don’t know why I open these threads, I was in a relatively decent mood 5 minutes ago. Now just hatred towards a list of imposters who’ve represented us in some way shape or form.

Anyway. Here’s my contribution:

Ian Black.

A player who even at our lowest ebb should have been nowhere near Ibrox.

I don’t know why I open these threads, I was in a relatively decent mood 5 minutes ago. Now just hatred towards a list of imposters who’ve represented us in some way shape or form.

Anyway. Here’s my contribution:

Ian Black.

A player who even at our lowest ebb should have been nowhere near Ibrox.
To be fair it has the potential to be more upbeat than the transfer thread.

Pena and Herrera for a combined £5m plus wages at a time we didn't have the finances to challenge was virtually criminal.
Konterman for nearly £5m plus wages to make the team 10x worse than it was will anger me forever.

But if we go back a lot further, what about the huge money we spent in the early 80s on players who gradually made us the 4th and 5th best team in Scotland with the biggest outlay?
Gregor Stevens, Ian Redford, Craig Paterson, Iain Ferguson, Cammy Fraser, Sandy Clark, etc all cost massive money for the time, and all were abysmal value for where they took us. And were all sold for a fraction of what we paid.

It takes a serious lack of professionalism, but as much as I love him it really felt like Ally was a bit of David Brent type boss who wanted to be liked more than anything else and so created this piss poor holiday camp vibe at Auchenhowie.
I know that’s always been the general consenus about Ally, but I wonder how true it was.

He was there under some tough managers in Souness and Walter, then he was assistant when we won 3 titles and reached a European final. Watching old footage and interviews it was always spoke of that Mccoist enjoyed a joke but was serious when it came to work.

He also retained McDowall and Durrant, and had guys like Miller and Wallace around. I doubt they’d have stood for the holiday camp vibe.

I think it’s more probable that individuals decided to throw the towel in like Boyd and Black.

I'm bored so anyway lol just been sitting here thinking about our worst transfers ever? Who you got? Now mine will only be since I've been a Rangers fan so quite sure ya'll might offer different choices. From my perspective since I've been a fan these are my top three in no particular order:

Joey Barton-I thought at the time he still had something in the tank and could be quite good here. Yes, was a prick then as he has always been but I could overlook that. However, as well all know he was a total bust in more ways than one.

James Beattie-Past his best when we got him and it showed.

Carlos Pena-Horrific, simple enough.
Obviously you have never heard of Daniel Prodan- over four years at the club and never kicked a ball

I know that’s always been the general consenus about Ally, but I wonder how true it was.

He was there under some tough managers in Souness and Walter, then he was assistant when we won 3 titles and reached a European final. Watching old footage and interviews it was always spoke of that Mccoist enjoyed a joke but was serious when it came to work.

He also retained McDowall and Durrant, and had guys like Miller and Wallace around. I doubt they’d have stood for the holiday camp vibe.

I think it’s more probable that individuals decided to throw the towel in like Boyd and Black.
I can only go on his teams performances and the comments of some of the foreigners who seemed taken aback by the shite players were allowed to eat at Auchenhowie.

Some of the fees we paid for these transfers actually send shivers down my spine. We'd be chuffed to go out and spend £4/5 million quid on a player nowadays. Advocaat bought players in that price range, who were worse than what we already had, just because he was bored and Murray was dumb enough to sanction it.

I just cannot see past how spending £millions to sign a confirmed, then currently performing, drug abusing, alcoholic, overweight jakey could ever be described as anything other than the worst transfer ever, except maybe putting that piece of shite O’Halloran in our fine Royal Blue jersey.

Edited to add jakey Peña’s name to the post and smiley removed to appease Tazzabear :). Aw man, I’ve just added another one.

Last edited:
Back