Our worst transfers ever?

Sendeross, Barton, Konterman, Boyd second time around. From a purely financial perspective Prodan was bad, cost a lot of money for the time and never played a game.

Austria Vienna really mugged us off for Sebo too.

Edit: can’t believe I forgot to mention Ramsey, in terms of measuring the actual return against the expectation and excitement on signing there can’t be many worse. What an utter let down.
Kontermans goal against them gives him a pass.

Seb Rozental and Stefan Guivarch. Neither really lived up to expectations.
Was trying to remember Guivarch when reading this thread. World Cup winner with France the year we signed him, expectations high, but didn't really contribute much or look too interested from what I can recall.

Barton for the fact he ran his mouth then was utter gash. Then just turned into a pure shit show with his carry on.

It’s also quite hard to state how undisciplined you have to be, to reach that sort of shape during an active year in your career. Calorie wise, these boys are comfortably burning through 3500 calories a day at least during training days. Games, plenty more. To actually put weight on the way he did during a season is a mental level of food or alcohol intake for an athlete.
I met him at gleneagles in the august when he’d went back to Killie and he had lost all the weight, must have had a gastric band fitted as he was a good 3 stone heavier in the may.

I just cannot see past how spending £millions to sign a confirmed, then currently performing drug abusing, alcoholic, overweight jakey could ever be described as anything other than the worst transfer ever, except maybe putting that piece of shite O’Halloran in our fine Royal Blue jersey. :))
Not sure why you’ve added the smiley because it was, is, no laughing matter.
However, although you could never blame the fans for this type of stupidity, there were plenty on here chuffed at the signing.
Even that not signing him would have shown we were skinhead and / or we weren’t supporting the manager.

We could list just about every player Ally brought in, when you listen to Ally’s adventure podcast on H&H it hits home how utter shite we were.

See the usual ones have been rolled out, Vanoli, Emerson, Capucho etc. For me the reason that these sort of guys are always mentioned is because of the drop off from what we had the season previous. Vanoli to replace Numan, Emerson to replace Ferguson, Capucho replacing Cannigia but these guys were still Italian and Portuguese Internationals and a player that had excelled in La Liga and the EPL. The were just over the hill and didn't live up to their names, but they were nowhere near as bad as some people make out. Now on the other hand, guys like Ponroy, Stanger under le guen, more recently Hastie, Firth and Simpson under Gerrard...these guys look like they've never seen a football before. So far off the standard of even a squad player that we should be looking at. People will say that they were never intended as first 11 players and that they weren't on a lot of money but they collectively would be on a fair wedge that would be far better used on someone that would actually push one of our nailed on starters. I judge a Rangers player based on their impact on the starting 11 and the season overall, to use guys that were brought in when we were downsizing is a bit unfair imo.

From the Gerrard era Grezda has to be the worst signing.

He cost £2m and was given a 4 year contract, probably on about £20k per week, so would have cost about an additional £4m in wages, £6m in total.

The guy looked like he had never played football before, but one of his old coaches said he could be the best player in Europe, what nonsense.

Honestly never been left more disappointed with a signing than Aaron Ramsey. Fucking disaster.

For a permanent signing, the rolls Royce can’t be topped. We signed a literal alcoholic.
Came here to say Ramsey. What a let down this guy was and that pathetic penalty in Seville will live with me for the rest of my life.

It’s his performance in the Partick Thistle game for me, looked like he’d never seen a football before and has no idea how to be a defender
Did he not wipe out a thistle player with a wild elbow when he got done for pace? Sure that was the best bit of "defending" he ever did for us. Some pedigree as well and only 31, mental how quickly players can decline.

Not having that anyway Iain wasn’t the best but he done ok and that game against Inter wow and won us a league cup final.
Before my time mate but I see that we bought him for £200k and sold him for £145k which isn’t much of a loss.

Tore Andre Flo.

His goal return was good but was a terrible signing.

I honestly thought at the time we were brining in Christian Vieiri so I was against him from the start.
Strange answer. It wasnt Tore Andre Flo who set the transfer fee. The big man did well for us. 29 goals in 53 appearances (a lot as a sub isn’t too bad)

Ian Black (still to this day can't believe he pulled on our shirt)

Barton (badly wanted him to be a success)

Eduardo Herrera. I'll qualify this one by saying he was a very good pro who respected the club and fans but, my God he was awful. I remember watching him warm up before the 5-5 game at Easter Road. He couldn't even kick the ball properly.
Something was weird with this one, had a very decent record in Mexico which is a decent standard, 3 goals in 9 caps for the national team and came here looking like he'd won a competition. Although he did score one of the best finishes I've seen from a Rangers player, back heel flick at the near post against Thistle in the cup :D

Unfortunately there’s a long list to choose from however special mention must go to Kevin Kyle and Francis Jeffers. Ye Gods…….

I remember sitting with mates watching Newcastle on TV and we were all laughing at just how bad Olivier Bernard was for a top level player. His arse was enormous, he had to do a three point turn to face another direction.

I’d forgotten he played for us!

I remember wee Dick spending something like £9M on 2 defenders & thinking great - just what we need

Not that we didn't already have fairly decent defenders- but thought the new recruits would be 1st choice & also create competition for places

It soon became obvious neither of them were defenders
Kunterman's goal against septic aside - he really was worthy of the name Bertie Bombscare

At least Ricksen (may he rest in peace) eventually settled into other roles - but with all due respect - he was never a defender IMO

Nnamdi Ofoborh has got to be up there if Prodan is
Can’t really agree with that. Ofoborh is a young boy who we paid a nominal fee for. Prodan was an experienced international who we paid quite a few million for if memory serves me right. Plus a hefty wage to fend off Spurs.

Stuart Hillis the doctor at the time later admitted Murray forced him to rush through the medical and all his records from Madrid weren’t translated properly. The rest is history.

Grezda was particularly bad because if we'd spent that money well and had got an attacking midfielder capable of scoring/creating 20-25 goals we could have won the league that season.

Yes, it was Gerrard's first season but Celtic had a massive regression under Rodgers and it was dropped points all over the place up until Xmas.

I remember thinking a few weeks into the season we're maybe 1 real bit of quality away from having a right go at this so I was delighted when we spent £2.5M on someone.

He was absolutely awful. A real sliding doors moment had we nailed that signing. We were basically left with Kent who was quite raw at the time and Candeias.

Seb Rozenthal.
Permanently crocked and would bang them in for fun on champ man while the real one gained squatters rights on the treatment table
Only thing he was good at was drinking and playing pool,while claiming to be 'injured'.

Along with Prodan and Boli the worst value signings in my time.

Capucho, Emerson and Barton the most laziest.

Stensaas and Webster the 'rabbits in the headlights' that lacked the heart to play for us.

I'm bored so anyway lol just been sitting here thinking about our worst transfers ever? Who you got? Now mine will only be since I've been a Rangers fan so quite sure ya'll might offer different choices. From my perspective since I've been a fan these are my top three in no particular order:

Joey Barton-I thought at the time he still had something in the tank and could be quite good here. Yes, was a prick then as he has always been but I could overlook that. However, as well all know he was a total bust in more ways than one.

James Beattie-Past his best when we got him and it showed.

Carlos Pena-Horrific, simple enough.
So you’re bored and decided to cheer yourself up by depressing the rest of us?

Emilson Cribari summed up our shambolic transfer strategy in the third division.

‘Experienced’ Brazilian centre-back looking completely lost against part-timers. Torn to shreds at Tannadice. I’d hate to know what we were paying him.

Completely unnecessary. Was never going to work.

Østenstad.

When he came on I thought it was a wind up. Must surely be the players agent ... or his old man?

Back