Aston Villa to expand capacity of Villa park

The People

I see they are putting in pre application planning permission to go to 50 k capacity .

I've got to be honest it rips my knitting seeing these smaller clubs having tens of millions to spend on their stadiums and training grounds due to them being in the EPL and the riches that entails.

We've had tremendous praise and plaudits from all-around Europe for our stadium and rightly so as it's a special venue with a unique atmosphere.
Hopefully the board have a medium to long term plan for Ibrox to maintain and enhance this,but as always it's hard to see where the finances will come from.

Would love for us to rip down the Copland, Broomloan and Jardine stands and build them again (pushing capacity to as close to 65/70k as possible). Facia of the Main stand staying as is of course but we will never have the cash for it, our geography will always dictate that sadly.

I see they are putting in pre application planning permission to go to 50 k capacity .

I've got to be honest it rips my knitting seeing these smaller clubs having tens of millions to spend on their stadiums and training grounds due to them being in the EPL and the riches that entails.

We've had tremendous praise and plaudits from all-around Europe for our stadium and rightly so as it's a special venue with a unique atmosphere.
Hopefully the board have a medium to long term plan for Ibrox to maintain and enhance this,but as always it's hard to see where the finances will come from.
Clubs in England (large and small) are in a different financial universe to us

If we were in the EPL we'd have a redeveloped Ibrox and £40m players. We dont because we're stuck in this Scottish football backwater

That’s probably why the price of their season tickets have sky rocketed this season.

If we were in the EPL we'd have a redeveloped Ibrox and £40m players. We dont because we're stuck in this Scottish football backwater
Totally agree mate
I've been hearing for over 40 years we will one day be in a British league or something similar ,but it's never going to happen sadly.

More successful a club than man city (pre-abu Dhabi cash) and they got a stadium built for them, for next to nothing.

As much as it’s hard to see the differential in money between Scotland and England, I don’t mind if clubs pay their own way.
Agree. Would much rather be in Spurs position owning the stadium outright and it being built in (more or less) the same spot as their old home, than a West Ham fan who’ve been completely stitched up

I think a lot of fans don't appreciate how well built Ibrox is. It's an old stadium but it's built with the best steel on the market. The club deck cost an absolute fortune and boosted our capacity to what I think is the perfect number for us.

As long as the fans continue to sell out season tickets then the stadium will be looked after. It has been neglected for a number of years and we still have a bit of catching up to do but it's getting there.

Unless we get bought out by a billionaire then we can do what we want.

Ibrox needs at least another 5k imo. At least but logistically and financially I don't know how viable it is.

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif

Would love for us to rip down the Copland, Broomloan and Jardine stands and build them again (pushing capacity to as close to 65/70k as possible). Facia of the Main stand staying as is of course but we will never have the cash for it, our geography will always dictate that sadly.
What a great idea.

I think a lot of fans don't appreciate how well built Ibrox is. It's an old stadium but it's built with the best steel on the market. The club deck cost an absolute fortune and boosted our capacity to what I think is the perfect number for us.

As long as the fans continue to sell out season tickets then the stadium will be looked after. It has been neglected for a number of years and we still have a bit of catching up to do but it's getting there.

Unless we get bought out by a billionaire then we can do what we want.
Ibrox is extremely well built and I'm sure we spent nearly the same of our club deck as the peasants spent on their whole place rebuilding it .
But right now we are probably as popular as in any other time in our history and could easily sell another 5/7 k season books .

I know nothing about Aston Villa’s finances but I would doubt they have cash reserves to fund any major redevelopment costs. The sunk costs here will be enormous and the likelihood is they will borrow significant funds against future income streams something, I believe, football clubs should avoid like the plague. One bad year an unlucky bounce of the ball and the future can look awful bleak.

I would also ask the obvious question, are they selling out their ground every week.

They seem like they struggle to fill Villa park most of the time with its current capacity. Not that I watch them much but anytime I see a clip of their games there's always empty seats.
Where they finding these punters to fill another 7 thousand or so spaces

I know nothing about Aston Villa’s finances but I would doubt they have cash reserves to fund any major redevelopment costs. The sunk costs here will be enormous and the likelihood is they will borrow significant funds against future income streams something, I believe, football clubs should avoid like the plague. One bad year an unlucky bounce of the ball and the future can look awful bleak.

I would also ask the obvious question, are they selling out their ground every week.
The owners are reportedly putting in the money.

Don't know why any Bear would be 'down' on Aston Villa.

Formed by a Scotsman, a big club that retained its support when it fell to the third tier of English football.

Came all the way back to win the top European prize.

Respect.
Copied our badge and used Prepared instead of Ready. Their colours are based on Rangers and Hearts as the owners wife was a jambo, and the man himself a bear. Archibald Leitch designed their ground, of which the Holte end is still from the original design.

There is potential for filling it, the city of Birmingham has twice the population of Glasgow.

They are a big club to be honest ,I've no idea how big Birmingham city are or could be .
I've seen wolves have plans to eventually go to 50 k for their stadium
Could say Wolves are as big a club as Villa. Villa obviously have a huge potential given their catchment area so they are right to speculate to accumulate. Without ambition you are only going to stand still.
I would love to see us expand but financially it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Even if we sold the seats for ten years in advance to help fund it, the figure accumulated from that would only see a small percentage of the build costs realised.
For me the most viable option would be a third tier on the Govan. Roof off, new tier on and a new lighter weight roof installed. If similar to the Club Deck we could realise an extra 6000 seats giving us a capacity getting on 57000. We can but dream!

I'm of the same opinion.

If money was no issue, to do it properly you'd knock down the 3 stands and start again.

In the last couple of seasons they are near capacity, prior to that, no.

If we could do that I’d like to make sure it’s the the biggest league ground in the UK.

Their average attendance over the last 10 years is just under 38,000, now they have zillions being poured in they might increase that, but they won’t get 50,000.

Don't know why any Bear would be 'down' on Aston Villa.

Formed by a Scotsman, a big club that retained its support when it fell to the third tier of English football.

Came all the way back to win the top European prize.

Respect.

They act just like the Piggery dwellers due to that European Cup win. They think they're up there with Liverpool and Real Madrid. Can't stand them, tbh.

Their average attendance over the last 10 years is just under 38,000, now they have zillions being poured in they might increase that, but they won’t get 50,000.
I think they will in all honesty.

People said the same about West Ham when they moved stadium.

They get 60k at games and are looking at increasing the capacity.

I think they will in all honesty.

People said the same about West Ham when they moved stadium.

They get 60k at games and are looking at increasing the capacity.

That’s because they are in London and about 10-20% of the attendance is tourists.

Our best bet is to improve Scottish football - which is happening.

Our fans couldn’t cope with an Old Firm friendly in Australia; there’d be a backlash every week if we were controlled by the EPL.

Every single game? No. But providing we didn't rip the arse out the ticket pricing (and a higher capacity should allow us not too) for Europe and bigger Domestic games why not.
The counter argument is that when you have 15k+ empty seats for most games folk will stop buying season tickets and will pick and choose what games they go to and still be in with a good chance of getting tickets for the bigger games. You only have to look at what Celtics true attendance figures are to see that scenario in play.

Our ceiling for the lesser domestic games is probably about 60k

How much would an extension/redevelopment of Ibrox cost? Genuine question for folk in construction/engineering. Assuming we didnt do it on the cheap like the mhanks and the meccanodome - I believe the club deck alone cost more than their dump.

Hearts' piffling wee stand cost 20 million, so I'm guessing it would be a long time before the extra 10k or so of seats started paying for themselves.

A well used catchphrase from two of my pals from Brum! Ones a baggie, the other a blue nose (City.) It’s the only thing they both agree on.
Wouldn’t go as far as saying they’re my English team, as I don’t have one, but I do have a soft spot for West Brom and disliked Villa even before Gerrard stuff!

Last edited:

Before writing such guff what dont you do a couple of minutes research into who owns them and come back and let everyone know why they wont require to raise significant funds - forget about the EPL income and look at owners personal wealth

Could say Wolves are as big a club as Villa. Villa obviously have a huge potential given their catchment area so they are right to speculate to accumulate. Without ambition you are only going to stand still.
I would love to see us expand but financially it’s not going to happen anytime soon. Even if we sold the seats for ten years in advance to help fund it, the figure accumulated from that would only see a small percentage of the build costs realised.
For me the most viable option would be a third tier on the Govan. Roof off, new tier on and a new lighter weight roof installed. If similar to the Club Deck we could realise an extra 6000 seats giving us a capacity getting on 57000. We can but dream!
Third tier on the govan would be perfect imo
Keeps the symmetry of the stadium and an extra 6k seats would be ideal for allowing more people to attend our games ,especially folk looking to get seats together with their kids.
Being stuck at 50 k is costing us financially

Back