Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

As a striker he doesnt score a silly amount of goals in a poor league i think that puts them off.But for us we see what else he does for our team but this doesnt show in the goalscoring charts.

As a striker he doesnt score a silly amount of goals in a poor league i think that puts them off.But for us we see what else he does for our team but this doesnt show in the goalscoring charts.
If he took the penalties his numbers would be far more impressive.
Most strikers benefit from this.
Bearing this in mind, Alfie's figures are very strong.
Further, he is often played up front on his own depending on our tactics and he can still lead the line against an entire defence often rag-dolling them.

Personally, I would like us to try and tie him down with a new contract.
But if he has to go, then we move on, it is that simple.

He’s like most of our squad apart from Tav in that he’s inconsistent. Clubs aren’t coming in for them as they all have gaps in their games that many are passing the age that clubs think they can coach it into them. We are probably his highest level, and I say that as someone who loves him.

I'm a Leeds fan first and foremost but would not want Alfie thanks, just not at the level required, I'm not a huge fan of Bamford either to be honest, misses far too many chances that elite players would bury.
Not at relegation dodging EPL level?

Scored against, Porto, Benfica, Dortmund, Feyenoord, Red Star etc but would struggle at the bottom end of the Premiership where Shane Duffy looks a good defender.

Seeing some posts about his goal scoring, but he’s 1 in 2 over a pretty lengthy period, that’s good for any striker.

Look a bit deeper into his goals and see there’s only 1 penalty, it’s really, really good.

His goal to game ratio is better than strikers like Hateley, Maurice Johnston, miles better than Prso and Mols, Novo, Miller. Over a longer period than Jelavic, for example.

I do agree he doesn’t score enough league goals, albeit still just worse than 1 in 2 and that’s with no penalties over five years - where a lot of strikers bulk up their numbers.

That’s all before you look at his link up play, hold up play and the chances he creates for his team mates.

They've had a number of standout players. If you look back at their big sales, most of them have been good value. They got lucky with Edouard though. I don't think we have anyone who will go on to big things in the EPL but Aribo has the most chance of that imo from our current crop.
I think Kamara could do really well in the EPL and Morelos as well

He is a different player in Europe compared to Scotland and that’s down to him as his commitment level is through the roof in a European match compared to domestic Even SG talked about him trying harder to put himself into the shop window in those games.

The domestic player is not quite the same and his finishing has never been top level. However his general build up play is great, and he crates a lot of chances for himself and therefore gets a good return. I think the lack of composure in his finishing is what holds him back though. Typically a few wildly erratic misses for each goal.

Not at relegation dodging EPL level?

Scored against, Porto, Benfica, Dortmund, Feyenoord, Red Star etc but would struggle at the bottom end of the Premiership where Shane Duffy looks a good defender.
Shane Duffy looks like what he is mate, average at best in a really good side, here's the thing I'm not slating Morelos, I just replied to a point on why no EPL side haven't come in for him, I then got a few comments about what he is or what he isn't, my view is he wouldn't cut it, others take a different view, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

£27m yous spent on Rodrigo he couldn’t even lace Morelos left boot infact he couldn’t even lace roofe boots
Would Morelos or Roofe for that matter get in the Spanish team? Rodrigo has, 27 times, I would agree it hasn't worked out for him at Leeds just now but not every transfer does. Keemar Roofe is championship level, a very good player but not EPL level, injuries have obviously not helped his career, it's an odd one because I had plenty of people arguing that Roofe wasn't good enough for the SPL, I begged to differ. It's all about levels pal, and of course luck.

The English arrogance with Scottish teams used to annoy me.

Saying that, it's a good thing they don't rate us. We have just played in a European final.

Would prefer AM to stay.

It illustrates how well SKY's marketing has done. The average English fan is insular and cannot countenance anything outside of the EPL bubble.

There are whole host of 'big' clubs who have achieved nothing for decades yet their supporters are dismissive of anything beyond the EPL.

Further, he is often played up front on his own depending on our tactics and he can still lead the line against an entire defence often rag-dolling them.

Huge word is. IF. :p

Just saw on BBC website Takumi Minamino has went from Liverpool to Monaco for £15.5m

For some reason they are calling him a midfielder o_O

Ligue 1 side Monaco have confirmed the signing of Japan international Takumi Minamino for £15.5m from Liverpool on a four-year deal.

The Ligue 1 side were one of a number of clubs interested in the 27-year-old, who joined the Reds from Red Bull Salzburg for £7.25m in 2020.
Minamino said: "I am very happy to be part of this very exciting project."

He scored 14 times in 55 outings for Liverpool and was their top scorer in domestic cup competitions last season.

Liverpool said last week they had agreed to sell the midfielder after he made just 11 appearances, including one start, in the Premier League last season.

"It is a great joy for me to join AS Monaco, a club with a great tradition and among the most recognised in Ligue 1," Minamino said. "I'm looking forward to discovering my new environment and doing everything I can to help the team."

Liverpool boss Jurgen Klopp said: "It's hard to see Taki go, but it's a great move for him and one he thoroughly deserves. [He is] An amazing professional; super, talented player.

"As a person, he is full of warmth and makes everyone feel positive. A manager's dream, to be honest."

Minamino's departure came after Sadio Mane completed a £35m move to Bayern Munich and following the arrival on Merseyside of Uruguay striker Darwin Nunez.

Morelos, at his best, reminds me of Diego Costa, a great physical attacker who can pressure defenders for 90 mins through winning 50/50s and maintaining control against tight marking.

He's instinctive as a finisher in the air or on the ground and can anticipate the ball breaking clear for the "tap in" goals.

His weight and application will be held against him at times, but he consistently scores goals against good teams in Europe, I'd be looking to extend him and see how he does in the CL Qualifiers this season.

Morelos, at his best, reminds me of Diego Costa, a great physical attacker who can pressure defenders for 90 mins through winning 50/50s and maintaining control against tight marking.

He's instinctive as a finisher in the air or on the ground and can anticipate the ball breaking clear for the "tap in" goals.

His weight and application will be held against him at times, but he consistently scores goals against good teams in Europe, I'd be looking to extend him and see how he does in the CL Qualifiers this season.

If guys like Minamino are getting sold for £15.5m as midfielders after flopping as strikers then I don't know wtf is going on

If guys like Minamino are getting sold for £15.5m as midfielders after flopping as strikers then I don't know wtf is going on
Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder...if we're only getting offered £7/8m, then I'd look to extend him.

The fact that a shrewd recruiting team like Seville came in, gives me some confidence.

Sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder...if we're only getting offered £7/8m, then I'd look to extend him.

The fact that a shrewd recruiting team like Seville came in, gives me some confidence.

Don't know if Sevilla are that shrewd these days. They took Anthony Martial on loan from Man U in January and he scored once :oops:

He's probably not quite good enough for the top teams and too good for the basement dwellers. I agree its surprising some mid-table sides havent shown interest in him, but I'm not complaining.

Long may his Ibrox career continue...

I think that it is wrongly down to a few things

1. Not a consistent 25 plus domestic league goals last couple of years.

2. Not scored enough or consistently against the filth. As much as probably don't want to admit it, this is probably the gauge those outside of scotland will use to measure any forward who plays for us.

3. It's Scotland. And most will see it as shite, the English certainly do. despite what we have done in Europe.

Hope he stays, unless there is a minimum 25m bid.

His finishing was poor for 2 years, he only regained confidence when Roy and Gio took over and asked him to play closer to goal.

If he can carry that form into this season he'll get a big move next summer. We should've taken the £16m when we had the chance

He’s like most of our squad apart from Tav in that he’s inconsistent. Clubs aren’t coming in for them as they all have gaps in their games that many are passing the age that clubs think they can coach it into them. We are probably his highest level, and I say that as someone who loves him.

I wouldn't say he is inconsistent, but he is quite a streaky player in that he can have an outstanding 3 or 4 months where it looks like every time he takes to the park he is expecting to score. Then for the next 3 months it looks like he can barely buy a shot on target let alone a goal.

He is still far better than a lot of the dross that play up front in EPL.

Therein lies part of the problem. He's not a great "finisher". Take Tav out of the equation- Alfie would probably be still down the list of penalty takers because he doesn't have the 'finesse' of a truly great striker. You'd never see him try a panenka for example

Therein lies part of the problem. He's not a great "finisher". Take Tav out of the equation- Alfie would probably be still down the list of penalty takers because he doesn't have the 'finesse' of a truly great striker. You'd never see him try a panenka for example
Well he isn't on penalties mate and whilst I don't think he would score as consistently as Tav, he would certainly score most of them.
Not taking penalties doesn't make him less of a finisher and whilst I have seen better finishers, Alfie finishes from situations he constructs for himself that a lot of better finishers wouldn't be able to.
Alfie is a whole forward line on occasion.

I wouldn't say he is inconsistent, but he is quite a streaky player in that he can have an outstanding 3 or 4 months where it looks like every time he takes to the park he is expecting to score. Then for the next 3 months it looks like he can barely buy a shot on target let alone a goal.

He is still far better than a lot of the dross that play up front in EPL.
Yeah streaky means he isn’t consistent. You are agreeing with me

Well he isn't on penalties mate and whilst I don't think he would score as consistently as Tav, he would certainly score most of them.
Not taking penalties doesn't make him less of a finisher and whilst I have seen better finishers, Alfie finishes from situations he constructs for himself that a lot of better finishers wouldn't be able to.
Alfie is a whole forward line on occasion.
You are correct. But part of the reason he constructs situations for himself is that defending in Scotland is quite poor. I know his Euro record is good but you get my point I hope

Once Morelos leaves us we won’t hear much about him again imo. Never going to be top of the charts in the big leagues and will be competing with other strikers on par with him or better wherever he ends up.
EPL teams haven’t been shy about spending money in Scotland before and is the only league that ever has, so must be something not quite right or they feel can get better for the price we want.

Can’t imagine edourds record since he signed for palace has helped the opinion of the buff down south.

They remember the flops more than those who made it

Can’t imagine edourds record since he signed for palace has helped the opinion of the buff down south.

They remember the flops more than those who made it
According to a few he’s done well, but then we do have a lot of people who’re more passionate about talking up Edouard than the likes of our own.

Last edited:
It illustrates how well SKY's marketing has done. The average English fan is insular and cannot countenance anything outside of the EPL bubble.

There are whole host of 'big' clubs who have achieved nothing for decades yet their supporters are dismissive of anything beyond the EPL.
Same with Talksport, the Scottish game does not even register with them at times

Would Morelos or Roofe for that matter get in the Spanish team? Rodrigo has, 27 times, I would agree it hasn't worked out for him at Leeds just now but not every transfer does. Keemar Roofe is championship level, a very good player but not EPL level, injuries have obviously not helped his career, it's an odd one because I had plenty of people arguing that Roofe wasn't good enough for the SPL, I begged to differ. It's all about levels pal, and of course luck.
Alfie is a completely different player to Roofe mate and overall had much more to his game. If he had been in the EL final we would have won it and he's a much better player than the Frankfurt Colombian who scored in that game. Agree Roofe is championship level probably near the top and that's it. Alfie needs to play in a team that uses him wide and in the channels. He's also scored against far far better teams than you see in the championship and the bottom half of the EPL. I don't think he would get a game for Spain because he's not technically as good as he needs to be, but he would knock quite a few EPL centre backs around and for a lower level EPL team would give relieve pressure by holding onto the ball, running into deep positions in the channels and getting fouls. We watched the championship play off and it was utter dross btw.

I hope he stays. Suits me.

You are correct. But part of the reason he constructs situations for himself is that defending in Scotland is quite poor. I know his Euro record is good but you get my point I hope
I think his record in Europe is fairly similar to his record in Scotland and he manages to score goals against the better teams as well.

Yeah but my point was the guy who posted epl teams might not take a punt on him cause he’s only scored 2 against Celtic is a bit of daft statement when he’s scored against the likes of Feyenord, Porto, Benfica Dortmund who have all recently been in the champions league.
Throw in Spartak Moscow another CL team at the time snd the likes of Red Star and Berne also CL. A lot of these goals were high quality goals as well.

Alfie is a completely different player to Roofe mate and overall had much more to his game. If he had been in the EL final we would have won it and he's a much better player than the Frankfurt Colombian who scored in that game. Agree Roofe is championship level probably near the top and that's it. Alfie needs to play in a team that uses him wide and in the channels. He's also scored against far far better teams than you see in the championship and the bottom half of the EPL. I don't think he would get a game for Spain because he's not technically as good as he needs to be, but he would knock quite a few EPL centre backs around and for a lower level EPL team would give relieve pressure by holding onto the ball, running into deep positions in the channels and getting fouls. We watched the championship play off and it was utter dross btw.

I hope he stays. Suits me.
I take a bow to your knowledge on Alfie, I don't see him as often as I'd like. The boy who said Alfie is better than "anything" Leeds have has clearly got his blue tinted specs on, that's fair enough, it's his opinion, I just don't share it. Thanks for a decent reply pal, all the best.

Alfie at his best is a top class striker and could play and thrive in any of Europes top leagues, Alfie the enigma is a bit like Coop. He tends to go through periods looking as if he is feeling a bit sorry for himself and the attendant weight gains make him look a tad unprofessional.

His disciplinary issues, unfairly in my view, have saddled him with a poor reputation, but nobody outside our fan base wants to recognise that he was demonised. The question then is, did the treatment of Alfie on and off the park contribute to the fact that he has not been scouted at the top level.

The media in Scotland have a tendency to talk down the value of Rangers players, whilst over inflating the value of filth players, Juranavic being the latest. Some say that it has no effect on the opinion of those scouting players, the empirical evidence suggests otherwise though. The filth are getting top dollar for players who have disappeared into EPL obscurity…Edouard, Ajer end of contracts and the perennially injured Tierney (good player, but injury issues ignored by Arsenal to their detriment)

They and their acolytes, place men etc are constantly and consistently talking their players up and across every medium. We and I include Rangers friendly journalists in this, tend to do the polar opposite. Add to that the fact that as with the Morelos to Villa tweet it is chock full of negativity from filth fans masquerading as Villa supporters…The universal negativity afforded our players is quite astounding.

Ps as an EG

Goldson to the premiership was met with howls of derision from many on here, despite the hapless Duffy strolling it with an at the time seventh placed Brighton…Goldson is light years ahead of Duffy and many other cart horses plying their trade in the EPL.

Rangers and Morelos are the literal perfect fit. He is adored here. He is THE main man. Everyone else hates him. Stay forever please Alfie.

Yeah streaky means he isn’t consistent. You are agreeing with me

No it doesn't. Streaky in terms of goals isn't the same as inconsistent. His level of performance is in the main very consistent. When he wasn't scoring under Gerrard in the 55 season, his contribution was still massive and of a consistently very good standard.

He doesn’t convert anywherre near enough chances imo. Good at the snap shots and quick chances but anytime he has loads of time on the ball he seems to fluff it. Should be scoring far more than he does with the chances created. That on top of the lack of consistency and pace are imo why no EPL teams seriously consider him.

No it doesn't. Streaky in terms of goals isn't the same as inconsistent. His level of performance is in the main very consistent. When he wasn't scoring under Gerrard in the 55 season, his contribution was still massive and of a consistently very good standard.
You need to look up what inconsistent and streaky mean as they are they same thing. If we isn’t scoring regular then it is inconsistent. No mater how hard he works his goalscoring isn’t consistent.

Back