Still find it bizarre English sides not coming in for Morelos

Teams have scouts covering the globe watching all kinds games we don’t know exist. They don’t base signing players on what the daily record says about them.

I agree but marketing brings attention to players, If it was just about the scouts then Arsenal would surely have known Tierney was made of glass, I'd say they fell for the hype. It's perplexing the lack of interest our players get, (or not) when you compare coverage of players by the media.

I agree but marketing brings attention to players, If it was just about the scouts then Arsenal would surely have known Tierney was made of glass, I'd say they fell for the hype. It's perplexing the lack of interest our players get, (or not) when you compare coverage of players by the media.
Sorry but you aren’t getting chief execs at arsenal reading Keith Jackson and getting hyped to spend £25m. Never mind the record, buy the sun in London and see how often Scottish gets a mention.

Sorry but you aren’t getting chief execs at arsenal reading Keith Jackson and getting hyped to spend £25m. Never mind the record, buy the sun in London and see how often Scottish gets a mention.

No I get that they don't read the record, but that is where the first seed is planted. Then certain commentators are bumming them up on Sky and talking about them non stop.

It clearly happens.

He'd be a great fit for a mid or lower table side - the teams that need an outball, someone who can hold it in and roll a defender.

But don't think his streakiness helps. And I imagine most recruitment nowadays is very stats-driven, and what he does really well isn't captured that well by the analysts.

Alfie at his best is a top class striker and could play and thrive in any of Europes top leagues, Alfie the enigma is a bit like Coop. He tends to go through periods looking as if he is feeling a bit sorry for himself and the attendant weight gains make him look a tad unprofessional.

His disciplinary issues, unfairly in my view, have saddled him with a poor reputation, but nobody outside our fan base wants to recognise that he was demonised. The question then is, did the treatment of Alfie on and off the park contribute to the fact that he has not been scouted at the top level.

The media in Scotland have a tendency to talk down the value of Rangers players, whilst over inflating the value of filth players, Juranavic being the latest. Some say that it has no effect on the opinion of those scouting players, the empirical evidence suggests otherwise though. The filth are getting top dollar for players who have disappeared into EPL obscurity…Edouard, Ajer end of contracts and the perennially injured Tierney (good player, but injury issues ignored by Arsenal to their detriment)

They and their acolytes, place men etc are constantly and consistently talking their players up and across every medium. We and I include Rangers friendly journalists in this, tend to do the polar opposite. Add to that the fact that as with the Morelos to Villa tweet it is chock full of negativity from filth fans masquerading as Villa supporters…The universal negativity afforded our players is quite astounding.

Ps as an EG

Goldson to the premiership was met with howls of derision from many on here, despite the hapless Duffy strolling it with an at the time seventh placed Brighton…Goldson is light years ahead of Duffy and many other cart horses plying their trade in the EPL.
Folk buying players don't listen to internet bampots or tabloid journalists mate. Clubs don't want Alfie because he is either not at the highest technical level and/or he will not fit in their system. His lack of English and unwillingness or inability to learn it is also an issue in terms of a move to the prem. Better players like Ian Rush and others have struggled due to not fully integrating in the local language. If I was a manager I must admit I'd want everyone to speak the language of my club.

Don't know if Sevilla are that shrewd these days. They took Anthony Martial on loan from Man U in January and he scored once :oops:
Ooooooft, must've memory holed that one.

They do seem to take punts on players regularly that had big moves go wrong or are "finished" at the big spending outfits.

Last edited:
I have always found this very surprising , particularly from a lower to middle EPL team. The way he can play the lone frontman role would suit these teams.

I see Brentford a rumoured to be paying £16m-£20m for Keane Lewis Potter. He has looked bang average every time I have seen him.

I have always found this very surprising , particularly from a lower to middle EPL team. The way he can play the lone frontman role would suit these teams.

I see Brentford a rumoured to be paying £16m-£20m for Keane Lewis Potter. He has looked bang average every time I have seen him.

12 in 46 in Championship last year! And only scored 14 goals above League 1 standard in his entire career! £16m! :oops::rolleyes:

This non-entity may be young and English but surely it’s obvious a Morelos at probably a lower fee is better VFM?

Im not surprised. They can shop in leagues where the player can be considered proven. Germany, France , Spain etc
Why risk on an SPL player

We overrate Morelos, he is not the fastest, has a habit of smashing good chances at the goalie. Strikers are the most sought after position, it’s obvious that the bigger clubs don’t see him as good enough. But we love him.

Seeing some posts about his goal scoring, but he’s 1 in 2 over a pretty lengthy period, that’s good for any striker.

Look a bit deeper into his goals and see there’s only 1 penalty, it’s really, really good.

His goal to game ratio is better than strikers like Hateley, Maurice Johnston, miles better than Prso and Mols, Novo, Miller. Over a longer period than Jelavic, for example.

I do agree he doesn’t score enough league goals, albeit still just worse than 1 in 2 and that’s with no penalties over five years - where a lot of strikers bulk up their numbers.

That’s all before you look at his link up play, hold up play and the chances he creates for his team mates.
Great post.

(He’s not better than Hateley was though)

Think to be in that league you have to be technically gifted before they consider splashing the cash. Morelos isn't the most technically gifted.

12 in 46 in Championship last year! And only scored 14 goals above League 1 standard in his entire career! £16m! :oops::rolleyes:

This non-entity may be young and English but surely it’s obvious a Morelos at probably a lower fee is better VFM?
Yeah it’s a baffling one. I know Brentford use some sort of computer modelling concept to recruit players but I am surprised at this one. I wouldn’t want us to waste £4m on him.

Morelos would be a very effective player in the EPL , albeit in Brentford’s case they already have a decent striker . I don’t think we will appreciate Alfie‘s contribution until he is gone , especially in Europe.

What a mental thread. He’ll probably get more dues over on Kerrydale street. You’d never think reading through this thread that he had a more or less 1 in 2 scoring record which includes playing under Pedro, and Murty and breaking a European goal record, without being a penalty taker.

So far we’ve established:

• He doesn’t score many goals in a crap league
  • He lacks discipline
  • He often lacks fitness and piles on the weight
  • He’s got no pace
  • He wastes too many chances
  • He smashes too many shots right at the keeper
  • And my personal favourite - he’s not got much technical ability

I mean it’s like someone’s just described Kevin Kyle.

Last edited:
What a mental thread. He’ll probably get more dues over on Kerrydale street. You’d never think reading through this thread that he had a more or less 1 in 2 scoring record which includes playing under Pedro, and Murty and breaking a European goal record, without being a penalty taker.

• He lacks discipline
  • He’s got no pace

And scored more Europa league group stage goals in one campaign than Eduardo did in 3 years combined

With no penalties !

I agree Thornliebank_Bear very bizarre!

Rangers Level, so over 100 major domestic honour winners, Europa League 2022 finalists… with a global fan base…

Aye that Rangers Level?
All true mate but it’s the dog and duck league we play in. No one is really interested there’s no real revenue so the kind of player we can sign is therefore limited. Wasn’t always the case but it has been since the early 2000’s.
Thats how we end up with fragile players who do have pedigree like Roofe and big Phil. If either were really robust they wouldn’t be with us.

Think to be in that league you have to be technically gifted before they consider splashing the cash. Morelos isn't the most technically gifted.

Don't know, I'm taking Alfredo Morelos over; Gayle, Wood, Bamford, Rondon, Edouard, Benteke, Maupay, Moore, Solanke and that's just off the top of my head.

• He lacks discipline
  • He’s got no pace

Two players have scored more goals than him in Europa League history.

They both played until 36yo, and he turned 26yo last week lol

All true mate but it’s the dog and duck league we play in. No one is really interested there’s no real revenue so the kind of player we can sign is therefore limited. Wasn’t always the case but it has been since the early 2000’s.
Thats how we end up with fragile players who do have pedigree like Roofe and big Phil. If either were really robust they wouldn’t be with us.
The rest of them just played in a european final so not quite sure what you are on about here.

I think a lot of folk on here really believe that trashing scottish football every day and being quite negative about the quality or standard of our own players, makes them some kind of european football expert. Maybe it has something to do with all the insane and ott tv coverage of the main leagues in europe.

I wouldnt say our players are good enough for the best sides, CL level teams, but our side is certainly full of guys that have enough ability to play for 60 or 70 per cent of the clubs in the leagues which so many get the horn about, EPL, Germany, France, Spain, Italy.

The rest of them just played in a european final so not quite sure what you are on about here.

I think a lot of folk on here really believe that trashing scottish football every day and being quite negative about the quality or standard of our own players, makes them some kind of european football expert. Maybe it has something to do with all the insane and ott tv coverage of the main leagues in europe.

I wouldnt say our players are good enough for the best sides, CL level teams, but our side is certainly full of guys that have enough ability to play for 60 or 70 per cent of the clubs in the leagues which so many get the horn about, EPL, Germany, France, Spain, Italy.
I’m saying it’s the standard of the SPFL that holds us back mate. Look at the level teams like Aberdeen are signing for example.

In England they pay ridiculous money for some bang average players, Alfredo is above average what he brings to a team!

Colombians who have excelled in the EPL isn’t a long list over 5/10/20yrs.
In recent years, Sanchez has become a fixture at Spurs and Luis Diaz did well enough in his first year at Liverpool but not outside of that there aren’t a lot.
It’ll often take a Liverpool/Man City/Chelsea to have a star player of a certain nationality before the clubs further down try to imitate that with someone else from that country.

I’d be surprised if anyone moved for him this summer after the injury... which does also give Rangers the headache that he could sit tight and not sign a new deal that at least secures a decent transfer fee in January.

I get the feeling that Alfie enjoys being the big fish in a small pond in Scotland, and the life of being a Rangers player. As a goal-scoring centre forward at Ibrox he gets wild adulation from supporters, a great environment to work in, European football and increasingly the chance to win trophies.
Would he swap that for being the 2nd or 3rd choice striker at a mid-table club?

Where did I say none of our players could be worth 20 million?

Morelos's value was set at 20 million by the board and no one has offered that, that's what I implied.
I was on a train from Southampton to Edinburgh when I met an EPL scout and we got talking about football. It is true there is a snobbery in England and Scottish football isn't well thought of. 2 things that stood out for me was that he said £5m would be the gamble for Buff and that Aribo's goal in the EL final was the result of a catastrophic error from the German team passing the ball to him and then it was just a matter of simply putting it past the keeper. They don't rate our run to the final as much as we do. I hope we keep Buff, he's great for us.

I was on a train from Southampton to Edinburgh when I met an EPL scout and we got talking about football. It is true there is a snobbery in England and Scottish football isn't well thought of. 2 things that stood out for me was that he said £5m would be the gamble for Buff and that Aribo's goal in the EL final was the result of a catastrophic error from the German team passing the ball to him and then it was just a matter of simply putting it past the keeper. They don't rate our run to the final as much as we do. I hope we keep Buff, he's great for us.
Morelos for me could still go from 10-15 million especially if he goes down to England even in the last year of his contract.
I think he could do a job in the EPL at a certain level as contrary to popular belief it's not all superstar players.
I'd prefer to sell now as I think he's been worked out a bit after being here five years and certainly, in the SPFL he does not play to the level he shows in European football.
It's up to Morelos though he has the ability but for me has to work harder on fitness and get that fire back he had before he must first stop trying to play midfield and get in and around the box.

Last edited:
Back