The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree regards the striker situation.

As far as an attacking midfielder is concerned, until he leaves, I'd say Aribo is the forward thinking CM you mention.

If he leaves, then he will definitely need replaced.
You're correct.

I've pretty much resigned myself to Aribo leaving, I don't see him signing a new deal. Should have wrote that.

Here's Andy's Twitter thread unrolled. Bit easier to follow than Twitter:

screencapture-threadreaderapp-thread-1542421393891008512-html-2022-06-30-09-54-08.png

Ah, well. At least we know what the narrative is from the club (board) now.

All we can keep doing is playing well in Europe and raising our profile. It's also important we kick the PTM into action soon too. If players know they'll get a big move on the back of being successful here it will make their decision easier.
The reason the tims have had success with the trading model is that they have sold players who have actually gone on to make an impact in England; from a reputational point of view, that is massive. It's not quite as simple as just getting the move, its then relying on factors totally outside of our control that will see them go on to be an actual success.

I'm still of the view that we are a few years away from seeing an actual player trading model in full swing.

Missing out on the guaranteed Champions league funds has got in this situation. We may bring in a player or 2 if the price is right...but it won't be what the expectations are on here.
Until we either have secured a place in the champions League group stages, or bring in funds which a player like Bassey would bring in, then I won't be expecting a lot to happen unfortunately.
We don't need much anyway.

Missing out on the guaranteed Champions league funds has got in this situation. We may bring in a player or 2 if the price is right...but it won't be what the expectations are on here.
Until we have either have secured a place in the champions League group stages, or bring in funds which a player like Bassey would bring in, then I won't be expecting a lot to happen unfortunately.
I agree and it’s absolutely depressing. When that mob went in front in the league I spoke to mate in work and basically what you’ve put up was this conversation.

Doekhi and his big mate who we were also linked with looked like a pair of carthorses whenever I watched Vitesse tbh. Seriously bad in that last game when they shipped 6 against AZ Alkmaar.

Agree with your general point though.
They also played as a back 3, doekhi positioning looked all over the place anytime i watched them

Been covered a million times but Kent got 15 assists last season not 20, the other 5 are penalties that he won.
Still more than de Bruyne and every other Man City forward player though. Madness that’s not deemed enough. Iil stop talking about Kent regardless since it’s not a transfer rumour but if we got someone in who done the same as him on the RW we would be doing well.

And this is why the transfer market has been slow so far. Clubs are waiting for the big/rich clubs to spend there money first, then the rest will follow once they’ve got extra cash to spend.

Unfortunately we are in the boat waiting on the big/rich clubs buying before we can spend too. The joy/limitations of playing in Scotland.
People might not want to hear it but the better scenario for us would be selling one or two of our assets early in the window rather than it dragging on late.

If Aribo/Kent/Morelos/Bassey are going to leave then the quicker they do the better.

The reason the tims have had success with the trading model is that they have sold players who have actually gone on to make an impact in England; from a reputational point of view, that is massive. It's not quite as simple as just getting the move, its then relying on factors totally outside of our control that will see them go on to be an actual success.

I'm still of the view that we are a few years away from seeing an actual player trading model in full swing.
You've got to fancy that Bassey will be the one who really kicks it off, provided he keeps progressing at his current rate. If we don't earn a fortune on him then something is seriously wrong

And this is why the transfer market has been slow so far. Clubs are waiting for the big/rich clubs to spend there money first, then the rest will follow once they’ve got extra cash to spend.

Unfortunately we are in the boat waiting on the big/rich clubs buying before we can spend too. The joy/limitations of playing in Scotland.
Not sure how Barcelona, Juve, Bayern etc spending money has any impact on Crystal Palace making a bid for Joe Aribo tbh.

Lowry certainly looks ready to me. Just got a bad feeling he'll be on the fringes whilst Arfield makes 30+ appearances again. I hope Gio proves me wrong.
Playing Arfield before Lowry would be a major mistake in my opinion,I was very surprised we offered Arfield and Shagger another season,certainly not forward thinking

Probably something worth thinking about before we all go gaga.
I like Andy McGowan, but he does have a habit of framing even the most shite situation in some sort of positive light.

I remember his monologue about Greg Docherty being some sort of extraterrestrial talent on the H&H podcast a few years back.

With fan media so integrated with the club now it's hard to know when they are being truly objective or when they are being fed a line to push.

Still sub H&H every month though!

I agree regards the striker situation.

As far as an attacking midfielder is concerned, until he leaves, I'd say Aribo is the forward thinking CM you mention.

If he leaves, then he will definitely need replaced.
I don't think we need to throw cash at this position, regardless of Aribo's status. Should he leave I have every confidence that Hagi and Lowry will cover this position. An Aribo replacement would be a nice to have however it's not a priority at this moment in time.

All we can keep doing is playing well in Europe and raising our profile. It's also important we kick the PTM into action soon too. If players know they'll get a big move on the back of being successful here, it will make their decision easier.

People laugh, but them next door have numerous examples of it over the past decade.

If we had accepted the £16m Lille bid for Morelos then maybe it would've kicked in already but as of now, we have absolutely nothing to show a potential recruit that we can do for them what Celtic did for van Dijk, Dembele etc.

For what it’s worth, 7 league goals. Still more than Kent.

You can’t seriously be comparing Rodri allowing other City players to play is the same as Kent allowing our other players to play?

We don’t get enough goals/assists from the middle 3 currently therefore whoever is in the forward 3 positions must get 10 goals minimum + assists.
Teams in Scotland concentrate on stopping Kent. They double up on him and that in itself frees up space for others

It’s no coincidence he is far more effective against Celtic and in Europe

If you honestly cannot see what Kent brings to the team then I don’t know what to say

Stats prove absolutely nothing

How many goals did Stuart McCall score from midfield? Probably our best player in the 1992-93 treble winning team and undefeated Champions League run

Guys I’ve spoken to are getting very anxious at the lack of signings
Seems to be a strong feeling amongst us that another transfer window with out strengthening Is going to end any chances of winning the league or getting into the CL
personally I’m calm at the moment it’s still early
In the window plenty of time to do our business

I don't think we need to throw cash at this position, regardless of Aribo's status. Should he leave I have every confidence that Hagi and Lowry will cover this position. An Aribo replacement would be a nice to have however it's not a priority at this moment in time.

Hagi won't be fully fit until the end of the year mate and Lowry isn't ready to start week in week out.
He'll certainly play a good number of games, but he's got to improve his defensive work before getting starts in big games imo.

If Andy McGowan is right, and we're going to become a club of Bosmans, then perhaps we could at least... sign some?

We’ve got one or two to be fair, mate.

Shagger
McLaughlin
Souttar
Bassey
Kamara (We did pay to get him in early though - how much was it again?:cool:)
Lundstram
Arfield
Wright (Again, we did pay to get him in early)
Sakala
Aribo

Guys I’ve spoken to are getting very anxious at the lack of signings
Seems to be a strong feeling amongst us that another transfer window with out strengthening Is going to end any chances of winning the league or getting into the CL
personally I’m calm at the moment it’s still early
In the window plenty of time to do our business
I'm a bit more patient than most, players still on holiday etcetera but we need to do the bulk of our business in the next 2 weeks or we'll be going into the start of the season exactly where we were for the last 2 seasons, and that's if we don't sell anyone

If Andy McGowan is right, and we're going to become a club of Bosmans, then perhaps we could at least... sign some?
Wages signing on fee agents fees etc
That’s his point all those costs go against the 70% revenue cap
We might need to make space in the squad by selling
We will also need to bring our wage bill down by getting rid of players who contribute nothing like Middleton Simpson etc
We had to lay hastie off to get rid of him

Would I trade Ryan Kent for abada? no I wouldn't. But can't argue with stats for a 7.5 million pound player playing in Scotland as a winger should be scoring more than a couple of goals a season.

In my view Kent’s lack of goals is directly linked to our lack of a RW. Abada has more goals because they cross more from the right with him coming into the back post, most of our crosses come from the left with Tav arriving back post.

We’ve got one or two to be fair, mate.

Shagger
McLaughlin
Souttar
Bassey
Kamara (We did pay to get him in early though - how much was it again?:cool:)
Lundstram
Arfield
Wright (Again, we did pay to get him in early)
Sakala
Aribo
He was talking about this transfer window, not what we have done over the last 4 years.

Dont think the club will want a saga so if they start messing us about then wouldn’t surprise me if they moved on to other targets

screencapture-threadreaderapp-thread-1542421393891008512-html-2022-06-30-09-54-08.png
Absolutely nobody will convince me that potentially losing Aribo, Morelos or Kent for free is anything other than an absolute shambles.

Disappointing if the reason we miss out on Botheim is due

I can see clubs coming in for our players later in the window and our activity kicking off then but of course that is no good for our credentials this season. We are standing still again.

Meanwhile our rivals appear to be doing business early and strengthening their squad.

I’m a panic merchant though.
You are a panic merchant right enough. So Celtic have strengthened? Jota still not signed, Jullianne getting sold, Bitton and Rogic released. Siegrist signed and CCV signed permanently. I don't see that getting stronger.

When did football become about who can sell players for the most money?

I understand the concept of buying players with potential and cashing in when the time is right, but Fck me some of our fans and theirs seem to have fallen into a “ we have more money than you, we sold a player for more than you” mindset .

It’s football, it’s meant to be enjoyable. It’s a sport.

Teams in Scotland concentrate on stopping Kent. They double up on him and that in itself frees up space for others

It’s no coincidence he is far more effective against Celtic and in Europe

If you honestly cannot see what Kent brings to the team then I don’t know what to say

Stats prove absolutely nothing

How many goals did Stuart McCall score from midfield? Probably our best player in the 1992-93 treble winning team and undefeated Champions League run
Where in any of my previous posts did I say I don’t see what he brings?

You keep making comparisons to central midfielders & predominantly holding midfielders which is a weird comparison.

Our team isn’t good enough to have a left winger who can’t score 10 goals a season. That’s the bottom line.

He was talking about this transfer window, not what we have done over the last 4 years.

I do realise that, mate.

We’ve already got Souttar this window, and let’s see what happens from tomorrow onwards.

Lundstram didn’t officially sign until the 5th of July last year for instance.

Yeah. He's basically picked the Bundesliga over Rangers. It's understable. Although I doubt he'd have regretted it if he did join us. Just one of the many disadvantages of playing in Scotland.
Exactly
It didn’t come down to Union Berlin or Rangers it was a choice between Scotland or Germany and there was always going to be only 1 winner in that situation

What about looking to sell our best young talent (Bassey) with an immediate lease back clause for the coming season?

Guarantee good income stream plus the continued services of the player whilst he continues to learn his trade?

perhaps fanciful but just a thought!

Another point to take from Andy's thread on Twitter - imagine the market we'd be looking in if we hadn't done so well in Europe last season :oops:
I pointed this out earlier in the thread, it's a scary thought.

We need fresh faces though, in January/February/march we were all shouting it but the Europa run has changed a few people's opinions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back