The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im still pretty relaxed but i can see why people are anxious, we've spent next to nothing in 2 years.

Until we sign a player of real quality (which usually means spending a decent chunk of money) I won't criticise anyone for having doubts about our recruitment strategy.

It's a big summer for the board & Ross Wilson.

Also woth noting the guys on here telling everyone how early it is in the window were saying the exact same thing last summer. They didn't look too clever last August.

We should all probably stop the smart arse comments until we see what happens.

From Gerrard's first game in charge against Aberdeen eight first team players remain I'd say that's still the core of the squad intact from back then.

7 players that featured last season Katic was nowhere to be seen the last 2 seasons and has no future anyway. 11 of that squad no longer with the club all gone by the end of year 2. Did you expect us to win the league in Gerrards first season?

Re the Rice signing. Seeing Daily Record calling him a "Wonderkid" when discussing a transfer tug of war between us & the coverups. The Sun call him a teenage starlet.

Now that weve signed him, they will resort to calling him "Ex- Motherwell youth"
You mean like Hastie…was a wonder kid?

We have no budget. The board has said this time and time again, players are looked at on a case by case basis and if the right player is there, and the club can afford - we make an offer.

When we'll actually be in a position to have a transfer budget again, who knows.

You'd like to think we'd be working toward that again.
But we have money set aside to build a museum?

Im still pretty relaxed but i can see why people are anxious, we've spent next to nothing in 2 years.
You're spot on.

Some people are rightly worried, and others are just combating it with "It's early yet"

But really, in the grand scheme of things, it's not early, we've all seen this movie every single transfer window.

Two years we've saw this movie.

We dont need wholesale changes we need a couple of quality additions and it’s unlikely we were ever going to be spending 15-20 million, they can do that as they have guaranteed champions league football and they are spending 12 million on two of their loan players

Purely hypothetical, but not completely unrealistic situation.
We complete the Colak deal over the next couple days. Over the next 7 days or so we sell aribo for £10m. We go and bring in 3 players for key positions having brought in that £10m and have them on board by 15th July. Two weeks before the season starts and two and a half weeks before the qualifier. Would you be happy? Would you agree it’s decent business and gives Gio and the new players bedding in time? Because I’d say it’s fairly likely something along those lines could happen which is why some calm and perspective is needed

You're spot on.

Some people are rightly worried, and others are just combating it with "It's early yet"

But really, in the grand scheme of things, it's not early, we've all seen this movie every single transfer window.

"There's no magic money tree"

"We have a settled squad"

"Did you miss us getting to the Europa League final?"

"They're spending millions to stand still"

"Aye but 55"

Repeat ad nauseam .

You're spot on.

2 years ago we spent £11m and we won the league so what movie was that? We are nearly 4 weeks away from the season starting you think nothing will be done in that time?

9 pages since I last checked only a few hours ago, Colak looking likely now?
In fact less likely in my opinion.
As the manager of PAOK is not willing to let him go, unless they have a replacement.Lined up!

Which…they don’t.
Also they, PAOK do not want to let him go, because we refuse to meet their asking price.

This def has bit to run.
Doesn’t it SKY?

Weve got three spaces in he squad currently. Diallo, ramsey and itten, we should be looking to replace they three. Beyond that it will be replacing anybody else that goes. Weve already got a big squad, were not going to just keep adding to it without departures.

2 years ago we spent £11m and we won the league so what movie was that? We are nearly 4 weeks away from the season starting you think nothing will be done in that time?
So two years ago we done that? Four transfer windows ago is when we last spent any decent money.

Thanks for clarifying.

So two years ago we done that? Four transfer windows ago is when we last spent any decent money.

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes to say we've seen this movie for 2 years is wrong given we spent money 2 years ago at this very time. What money did we needed to spend in January of that season for example?

Is there not a cost in bringing guys like Lundstram in as well?

Weve got three spaces in he squad currently. Diallo, ramsey and itten, we should be looking to replace they three. Beyond that it will be replacing anybody else that goes. Weve already got a big squad, were not going to just keep adding to it without departures.
The squad is still a bit bloated.

Depending on who actually leaves we might see 4 or 5 fringe players being replaced by 1 first team player. If it's a key player or two we will have to replace them directly.

I think how good Souttar is will suprise a lot of folk.

He is going to do very well for us imo.

The only issue will be keeping him fit.
I agree he is a good player who can see a pass. The big issue as we all know is his fitness levels. Has played 193 games in 9 years, average 21 games per season, approx 47%. Hopefully as he has now joined us and ultimately we have a bigger squad than his previous clubs, his game time can be managed etc

Apparently not, mind we had to get a tap for that.
I honestly can’t keep up with what are board doing.
Or in this case not doing.

Stewart Robertson comes out and boasts, just before the Europa final, that the club made, just as much money in the Europa competition, as we would have made qualifying for CL Group Stages.

But we are still haggling over a couple hundred thousands for a player that Gio understandably, wants in now!

Dangerous game.

Yes to say we've seen this movie for 2 years is wrong given we spent money 2 years ago at this very time. What money did we needed to spend in January of that season for example?

The season after we won the league, we were still screaming for a goalscoring Midfielder, a decent back up striker, and a competent right winger?

We're still looking for that, today.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this 'Happy clapper' nonsense. It's one of those soundbites that is just aimed at anyone who disagrees with a point of view. Just an easy out for people who can't accept other opinions.

It's like the mentally challengeds when they say we are "point scoring" with the subject of child abuse at their club. Or RC and their "whatabouttery" pish.

It's usually a minority who shout the loudest to stop a discussion.

Anyways, have we signed big Colak yet?
Its basically anyone that isnt completely negative is a "happy clapper". Piss, piss poor.

I'm getting a bit fed up with this 'Happy clapper' nonsense. It's one of those soundbites that is just aimed at anyone who disagrees with a point of view. Just an easy out for people who can't accept other opinions.

It's like the mentally challengeds when they say we are "point scoring" with the subject of child abuse at their club. Or RC and their "whatabouttery" pish.

It's usually a minority who shout the loudest to stop a discussion.

Anyways, have we signed big Colak yet?
Its basically anyone that isnt completely negative is a "happy clapper". Piss, piss poor.

Stewart Robertson comes out and boasts, just before the Europa final, that the club made, just as much money in the Europa competition, as we would have made qualifying for CL Group Stages.

But we are still haggling over a couple hundred thousands for a player that Gio understandably, wants in now!

Dangerous game.

We aren't haggling over anything the deal for Colak is on the table confirmed by their manager last night and they want a replacement before letting him go.

Have you forgotten the level of squad Gerrard had to him when he first arrived and the mess we were in? The squad here now is certainly not the one we had in year one either. Last season isn't even close to those 2 years you mention either year one under Gerrard especially when we simply didn't have the squad for example. Year 2 was a genuine collapse but not let's forget how that season actually ended.
Edit

Not even in the door yet and comparing him to Hastie?

The lad has a long road ahead of him to get to 1st team football. The odds aren't great but it's not impossible.

Let's hope he succeeds.
I agree.
I hope he does succeed.

But I rather think he is not going to qualify us for CL.
Or win us the league this season.

How many young players do we bring through, and if they really do well, their heads are turned and they go elsewhere …before getting even a sniff of first team football?

By the way, my main two priorities this season.Above.

The season after we won the league, we were still screaming for a goalscoring Midfielder, a decent back up striker, and a competent right winger?

We're still looking for that, today.

That was what Sakala was brought in for was he not? Gerrard thought Bacuna was that midfielder you describe chased him for a year before getting him and under Gerrard we didn't play with wingers. Gio tried to rectify it with Diallo and didn't trust him enough to play him.

Backup striker is just about done and I'm sure we will be going for a winger in this window.

That was what Sakala was brought in for was he not? Gerrard thought Bacuna was that midfielder you describe chased him for a year before getting him and under Gerrard we didn't play with wingers. Gio tried to rectify it with Diallo and didn't trust him enough to play him.

Backup striker is just about done and I'm sure we will be going for a winger in this window.
Sakala.
Is the epitome of Ross Wilson’s signings.

Bossman.
Tries, but not good enough.

Just like our last season in the league.

Tried.But not good enough.

A project signing in Sakala isn't taking us to the Champions League, a loan in Amad Diallo is not taking us to the Champions League, Bacuna certainly fucking wasn't.

These are daft footering about signings that made no immediate or noticeable difference to our starting XI.

So I'll say again since last spending significant money two years ago, we have saw nothing of the same since.

And wee signings here and there that'll perhaps shore up a gap should we get injuries etc, aren't the same as improving your starting XI.

Lundstram was the only last signing we made that actually has made a big difference, a free transfer and parting gift from Gerrard.

Dangerous game.

That's not accurate.

We have met PAOK's valuation.

I agree.
I hope he does succeed.

But I rather think he is not going to qualify us for CL.
Or win us the league this season.

How many young players do we bring through, and if they really do well, their heads are turned and they go elsewhere …before getting even a sniff of first team football?

By the way, my main two priorities this season.Above.
Just the way of the world. If they get poached hopefully at least it's for decent money. If that happens he, and we, have done well.

The CL is a huge task. It's possibly 50:50 that we qualify. The Europa league took the sting out of losing the league last year but I think our players will be right up for winning it back again.

Purely hypothetical, but not completely unrealistic situation.
We complete the Colak deal over the next couple days. Over the next 7 days or so we sell aribo for £10m. We go and bring in 3 players for key positions having brought in that £10m and have them on board by 15th July. Two weeks before the season starts and two and a half weeks before the qualifier. Would you be happy? Would you agree it’s decent business and gives Gio and the new players bedding in time? Because I’d say it’s fairly likely something along those lines could happen which is why some calm and perspective is needed
This is what I'm clinging on to. I think the penny pinching in the last few windows is what is, rightly, worrying people.

Sakala.
Is the epitome of Ross Wilson’s signings.

Bossman.
Tries, but not good enough.

Yet has a goal every 2 games ratio not bad for someone in his first season.
A project signing in Sakala isn't taking us to the Champions League, a loan in Amad Diallo is not taking us to the Champions League, Bacuna certainly fucking wasn't.

These are daft footering about signings that made no immediate or noticeable difference to our starting XI.

So I'll say again since last spending significant money two years ago, we have saw nothing of the same since.

And wee signings here and there that'll perhaps shore up a gap should we get injuries etc, aren't the same as improving your starting XI.

Lundstram was the only last signing we made that actually has made a big difference, a free transfer and parting gift from Gerrard.

We didn't make it to the champions league because we couldn't beat 10 men simple really and nothing to do with recruitment. Good reason why we haven't saw any signings in that time due to the impact COVID has had on the club. Can we not actually wait until the window is shut as well to see how much we spend in this window?

You're spot on.

I'm probably one of the more relaxed about our transfer business but do agree with this. The earlier we get guys in the more chance we have of integrating them into the team

I can only assume that we've got plans for each position to be strengthened and its either timing, cost or availability that is preventing us from moving quicker. I also assume we have targets to fit under each scenario, ie no sales or mega sales

I'd love us to be able to splash 5m on a player like we used to, but unless we generate a mega sale I'm happy enough that this wont happen - 2012 was a tough lesson

Id love a couple of additions in the next week and can only hope we are trying everything to do so

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back