The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out all of the oddball behaviour on this thread this is the worst for me.

Oh please admin please chop the thread.

Why? What is that going to achieve? It's a football messageboard, people take this place far too seriously at times.
Take Rangers matters seriously? Not on Here :)):))
There should be a speculative thread for loonballs

I'd still maintain not relying on injury prone players is good logic.

I wouldn't have signed Souttar because of his injury record tbh but he won't be on big wages and we didn't pay a fee.

Helander, Roofe and Barisic must have cost us £8-9 Million plus higher wages and just can't be relied on sadly.

Thats harsh on Barisic. He has played 155 games in 4 seasosn, just under an average of 40 games a season for us and that's including a season cut short by covid.

I dont think he ever really got over his injury he got at the Euros. Hopefully a good break and full pre season see's him back to his best for us.

Not every player is going to be a machine and play 60+ games a season every season, hence having a squad.

I don’t want to the one to deliver bad news but apparently Helander playing football on a regular basis is entering pipe dream phase.

This comes from a guy that is ortho at Rosshall and has done checks on McGregor, Davis, Arfield & Rory Wilson recently.

Why though? Thats a bit vague.

Correct me if I’m wrong.

You’re telling us that Souttar’s stats for Hearts make him a better defender than Helander?

You’ve got to be at it.
Yes, thats how stats (and eyes) work.

Souttars stats are better than Helanders and he had to face the two best teams in Scotland.

Helander only had high standard forward line from that lot and his stats are worse.

Out all of the oddball behaviour on this thread this is the worst for me.

Oh please admin please chop the thread.

Why? What is that going to achieve? It's a football messageboard, people take this place far too seriously at times.

A bunch of Rangers obsessives talking about the team and generally doing no harm when there is fu*k all else going on during the off season.

"Admin, please cut the thread, this is torture."

Don't click on it then you utter muppet.

Don't forget we actually beat Braga though.

Our team may have been older, but it was better.

If King can prove himself better than Goldson, Souttar, or Helander, then he'll get starts.

You don't play youth just for the sake of it.
You only play them if they improve your team.

Yeah but at least as 4th choice he still has a pathway into the first team. I expect Goldson, Souttar & Helander will play the majority of minutes and have no problem with that, but having King around to fill in here and there and be around those guys in training is exactly what we should be going for. I like what I've seen from King so far and I think he's good enough to at least play that role. A season of that would be brilliant for his development.

Don’t we get 5m if we win the QR3 tie mate ?
Wee absolutely can’t turn our noses up at €5m
Yes we do 5m euros but what i mean is I don't think that makes too much of a difference in our spending plan because if we're taking a risk then...then we'd be aswell taking it now.

Lose QR3 go into Europa
Lose Play off go into Europa (albeit with an extra 5m euros and an extra player)

If our spending means we were willing to spend it pre play off then we'd have a plan to recoup it through further progression to lat 32/last 16.

Maybe that's just me thinking non logically though. If we're willing to risk 5m for the CL we might aswell risk it earlier to give us the best chance because while it's alot of cash it can be balance out in the Europa League.

Look, Helander is fit right now and is doing pre-season with everyone else.

I'd say we need to keep him around, if he gets another injury, we can always offload in January.

But the guy is 100% worth holding on to and letting Gio evaluate properly.

I'm very relaxed about the centre back situation.

Goldson is Goldson.

Fil had a nightmare last season - the second injury was just unlucky. He'll be desperate to prove his fitness next year. I think he has at least one solid season of football in him.

Big John still made 36 appearances for Hearts last year, and would have been more if he didn't get his tidy up job to be at optimum fitness for us. He'll be aiming to clock in at least 40 games next year in his development.

If both are out, then there's Calvin Bassey.

It's not an area to worry about at all.

Think his first injury was unlucky as well against St Johnstone when he done his knee.

Hard to develop and improve without game time.

We have multiple league games where he would hardly be tested and our regulars would benefit from a break.

He has looked very comfortable in his game time so far.

He struggled at Tynecastle, but tbf he was playing left back against McKay Steven and Ginnelly.

We need to remember he's only 18, has barely played any 1st team football and was behind Mayo and Welsh in the Scotland U--21 side.

You could also argue that he's got the best 3 central defenders in the country ahead of him.

Time is on his side mate.

Aribo/Kent and Morelos should be pushed hard in regard to extending and if they don't react it will be better to get money for them and hopefully re-invest in decent replacements.

A fit back three of Helander Souttar and Goldson would be brilliant. I still think we need to replace Balogun, which will most likely be a back up type signing.
Souttar replaces Balogun for now. I'd imagine we'll want to get Simpson and Katic off the wage bill before we consider signing any more centre halfs

Thats harsh on Barisic. He has played 155 games in 4 seasosn, just under an average of 40 games a season for us and that's including a season cut short by covid.

I dont think he ever really got over his injury he got at the Euros. Hopefully a good break and full pre season see's him back to his best for us.

Not every player is going to be a machine and play 60+ games a season every season, hence having a squad.
Probably is harsh on Barisic tbh mate but add in his dips in form he tends to have too and I think it's time to move on unfortunately.

I'd say we need to keep him around, if he gets another injury, we can always offload in January.

Am I not right in thinking his most recent injury was more of a freak one in nature as opposed to his more regular injury issues?

That's my worry too, racks my brain why we signed Simpson, Barker, Jones, Hastie it'd hardly be sticking your neck out to say they'd all be pish.
Add to that Tavernier, Kamara, Jack and Morelos for good measure.

Spend 1.25m collectively on 4 randoms from Wigan, Dundee, Aberdeen and Helsinki. Hardly going to bring us 55 or get us to a European final. The writing is on the wall. It's clear as day than none of these signing are 'rangers quality'. Cut and run I say, mark Allan out!

He struggled at Tynecastle, but tbf he was playing left back against McKay Steven and Ginnelly.

We need to remember he's only 18, has barely played any 1st team football and was behind Mayo and Welsh in the Scotland U--21 side.

You could also argue that he's got the best 3 central defenders in the country ahead of him.

Time is on his side mate.

I think you've always been Lewis Mayo's biggest fan on here mate, where as I found the hype bizarre.

I watched that Scotland 21's game against Belgium, and aside from one ropey moment, he looked really good. Made me revise my opinion a wee bit. Sometimes you get it wrong.

Not sure he'll be Rangers class, but the big guy is a better player than I gave him credit for. Hope he does well out at Killie.

Barisic's card is marked in general on here by some folk. He alluded to having personal issues last season, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. Not many people are though.

I'm also of the opinion, it seems a bit silly to be actively trying to get him off the books, especially given how much interest there has been in Bassey. Do we really want to potentially start the season with no established LBs in the squad and just hope they both work out? That seems too high risk imo. I think funds would be better served going elsewhere. If Bassey goes, he'd need to be replaced and if the fee is substantially then try and bring a player better than Barisic and then let them fight for the jersey.

Am I not right in thinking his most recent injury was more of a freak one in nature as opposed to his more regular injury issues?

The first one (cup final v Celtic) Gerrard said the doctor told him he'd only seen that injury once or twice in about 25 years

“The doctor told me that in his 25 year experience in medicine had only seen this issue on a couple of occasions."

I’d agree with this.

We wouldn’t get much for him now anyway. We’d be better off keeping him.

If he can stay fit this season we can see what happens for the future

Prediction, this time next year Souttar will not be being spoken of as some sort of back up, he'll be a mainstay this season and will 100% have people eating their words.

Grossly underrated on here for whatever reason, having him and Goldsons passing ability from the back is going to be a great weapon and both are very good defenders.

We have three of the best CBs in Scottish Football that's for sure.

If Helander and Souttar stay fit, that's a cracking back three should we need it.
Be great if they could stay fit but Is it worth the risk Keeping Helander?

The first one (cup final v Celtic) Gerrard said the doctor told him he'd only seen that injury once or twice in about 25 years

“The doctor told me that in his 25 year experience in medicine had only seen this issue on a couple of occasions."

Contrary to the myth made up about Helander, he wasn't injury prone before he came here. He's been ridiculously unlucky.

Prediction, this time next year Souttar will not be being spoken of as some sort of back up, he'll be a mainstay this season and will 100% have people eating their words.

Grossly underrated on here for whatever reason, having him and Goldsons passing ability from the back is going to be a great weapon and both are very good defenders.
Both suit our style.of football, their long range passing will be a great benefit to us.

Teams could predict Goldsons long diagonal but with two players equally as adept at it will provide us better attacking opportunities.

£6 million for Morelos, would that even be worth us doing that, knowing the financial rewards of European endeavour?
I am of a general opinion that we should be looking to sell the players whose contracts expire next summer, should they not extend. Morelos, Kent and Aribo are far too valuable as assets for that asset to be worth £0 to us next summer.

However, £6M is unacceptable and I'd rather keep Morelos for a season and hope we can remind him of how much he loves the club and maybe even get him to sign an extension. I know that's unlikely, but I think Godson's mind changed last season.

We all know that we support a special club, and it can take just one moment for a player to remember and embrace that, and come to a conclusion that they want to stay even longer. Staying with us gives him the opportunity to become a club legend. To some that is a greater achievement in a football career than the leagues you played in, or the players you played against. And for some, even the trophies that you win. An example being Alan Shearer may be prouder of his legacy as a Newcastle Utd legend than his PL medal with Blackburn.

I'd also fear that selling at well below market value sets a bad precedent for future approaches for our players. This can lead to not getting true value, and may also lead to disgruntled players should they disagree with our valuations of them, citing any cheap sales as evidence of this.

He's one of the most unlucky players we've had injury wise. Every time looks like he's about to establish himself, he gets a setback. I was gutted for him when he picked up his injury last season. He'd literally scored a goal against that mob at Ibrox that sent everyone into raptures and then goes on to put on a defensive clinic against Spain while away with Sweden. Was getting praised left and right, then he goes and does himself a mischief on that tattie field of a pitch in Perth.

I think you've always been Lewis Mayo's biggest fan on here mate, where as I found the hype bizarre.

I watched that Scotland 21's game against Belgium, and aside from one ropey moment, he looked really good. Made me revise my opinion a wee bit. Sometimes you get it wrong.

Not sure he'll be Rangers class, but the big guy is a better player than I gave him credit for. Hope he does well out at Killie.

I'm not sure he's Rangers class either mate, but he's certainly developing and progressing through the divisions and putting himself out there.

Both Ian McCall and McInnes seem to rate him highly and clearly we still think he's got a chance, by giving him a new contract.

If push came to shove for me, I'd say he's got a better chance to make it with us than King, although I'm still not certain either will make it for us.

One big advantage Mayo does have over King is his height and physicality.

Fair play to you btw for being honest enough to change your view on him.

Any notable updates?

Would rather get slapped by a large fish than read the last 20 pages.
I'm tuning in, now and again, and find it is just easier now to jump 4 or 5 pages at a time, as I won't have missed anything of note!

I am of a general opinion that we should be looking to sell the players whose contracts expire next summer, should they not extend. Morelos, Kent and Aribo are far too valuable as assets for that asset to be worth £0 to us next summer.

However, £6M is unacceptable and I'd rather keep Morelos for a season and hope we can remind him of how much he loves the club and maybe even get him to sign an extension. I know that's unlikely, but I think Godson's mind changed last season.

We all know that we support a special club, and it can take just one moment for a player to remember and embrace that, and come to a conclusion that they want to stay even longer. Staying with us gives him the opportunity to become a club legend. To some that is a greater achievement in a football career than the leagues you played in, or the players you played against. And for some, even the trophies that you win. An example being Alan Shearer may be prouder of his legacy as a Newcastle Utd legend than his PL medal with Blackburn.

I'd also fear that selling at well below market value sets a bad precedent for future approaches for our players. This can lead to not getting true value, and may also lead to disgruntled players should they disagree with our valuations of them, citing any cheap sales as evidence of this.
Great post, so many good points there.

I don’t know but i’d absolutely say part of his remit is to sell players at ‘peak value’ which we have absolutely not done. Surely it’s one of the objectives of the job?
I’d think so but, as anybody who has been involved in setting objectives will tell you, you can only hold somebody responsible for what they can fully control.
Even then there has to be measures with the KPI itself.

If we don’t sign anyone and the qualifiers don’t go well the reaction will be wild.

Personally we should have enough but our squad should already have been freshened up imo as it adds competition and as every ex pro says it makes everyone else’s levels go up when quality comes into a squad.

Our friendlies start next week and we start 4 weeks vs Livi on Saturday we are wanting everyone starting together not a staggered pre season for some.

Even sign up Kent and Alfie if we can the support can get a massive lift from it.

When I've not checked in a while and there's been loads of pages only to find absolutely nothing new. Like when you used to get panini football stickers and not even 1 shiney in it. Pish

He's one of the most unlucky players we've had injury wise. Every time looks like he's about to establish himself, he gets a setback. I was gutted for him when he picked up his injury last season. He'd literally scored a goal against that mob at Ibrox that sent everyone into raptures and then goes on to put on a defensive clinic against Spain while away with Sweden. Was getting praised left and right, then he goes and does himself a mischief on that tattie field of a pitch in Perth.
Motherwell

He’s not underrated on here. No one is doubting his footballing ability.

We’re doubting his ability to stay fit. The fact that two of our main three CB’s will have to be carefully managed is a genuine concern. We shouldn’t be in a position like that.

It’s not being negative for the sake of it, it’s a fact that Helander and Souttar will have to be managed and that is not ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back