The Summer 2022 Rangers Transfer Window Rumours and Deals - Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Prediction, this time next year Souttar will not be being spoken of as some sort of back up, he'll be a mainstay this season and will 100% have people eating their words.

Grossly underrated on here for whatever reason, having him and Goldsons passing ability from the back is going to be a great weapon and both are very good defenders.

If his achilles didn't explode in the past, you would probably be talking about him in that way as a defensive mid. I don't think people realise just how talented he was as a kid. Andy Robertson and him are best mates, and Robertson would say John would have had a better career if not for the injuries.

He's turned into a class centre half - his actual ability on the ball is something else. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised when he goes on a solo run and smashes one in from about 40 yards next season. He loves to try that!

I am of a general opinion that we should be looking to sell the players whose contracts expire next summer, should they not extend. Morelos, Kent and Aribo are far too valuable as assets for that asset to be worth £0 to us next summer.

However, £6M is unacceptable and I'd rather keep Morelos for a season and hope we can remind him of how much he loves the club and maybe even get him to sign an extension. I know that's unlikely, but I think Godson's mind changed last season.

We all know that we support a special club, and it can take just one moment for a player to remember and embrace that, and come to a conclusion that they want to stay even longer. Staying with us gives him the opportunity to become a club legend. To some that is a greater achievement in a football career than the leagues you played in, or the players you played against. And for some, even the trophies that you win. An example being Alan Shearer may be prouder of his legacy as a Newcastle Utd legend than his PL medal with Blackburn.

I'd also fear that selling at well below market value sets a bad precedent for future approaches for our players. This can lead to not getting true value, and may also lead to disgruntled players should they disagree with our valuations of them, citing any cheap sales as evidence of this.
The club will take a lowball offer and replace if that is all that is on offer should he refuse to extend. That is the position we are in now.

I don’t want to the one to deliver bad news but apparently Helander playing football on a regular basis is entering pipe dream phase.

This comes from a guy that is ortho at Rosshall and has done checks on McGregor, Davis, Arfield & Rory Wilson recently.

Didn't Rangers stop using Ross Hall years ago?

If we don’t sign anyone and the qualifiers don’t go well the reaction will be wild.

Personally we should have enough but our squad should already have been freshened up imo as it adds competition and as every ex pro says it makes everyone else’s levels go up when quality comes into a squad.

Our friendlies start next week and we start 4 weeks vs Livi on Saturday we are wanting everyone starting together not a staggered pre season for some.

Even sign up Kent and Alfie if we can the support can get a massive lift from it.

Never mind the qualifiers if we don't beat Partick Thistle on Saturday it's going to be wild.

Am I not right in thinking his most recent injury was more of a freak one in nature as opposed to his more regular injury issues?

His one against St Mirren his foot was planted winning a header against Brophy. Brophy challenging him led to his foot staying in the position it was whilst taking all of Brophys weight on him as they fell to the ground.

Balance of having a left sided footer.

Makes playing out from the back more awkward when two centre halves are same foot.
This looks an ideal combination but, we've had plenty of successful centre back partnerships over the years where both players were predominantly right footed.
Weir with Cuellar or Bougherra.
Andrews with Soto.
Amoruso and Moore.
All the way to my early partnerships with any mix of Jackson, Forsyth and Johnstone.

Yes we do 5m euros but what i mean is I don't think that makes too much of a difference in our spending plan because if we're taking a risk then...then we'd be aswell taking it now.

Lose QR3 go into Europa
Lose Play off go into Europa (albeit with an extra 5m euros and an extra player)

If our spending means we were willing to spend it pre play off then we'd have a plan to recoup it through further progression to lat 32/last 16.

Maybe that's just me thinking non logically though. If we're willing to risk 5m for the CL we might aswell risk it earlier to give us the best chance because while it's alot of cash it can be balance out in the Europa League.

Yes, get your point DG10.

I guess the reason behind my suggestion is that I don’t think we’ll go for that extra player, but was hoping that might give the board financial cover to take the risk.

Friend of mine knows the Dr and his exact words to me were “Helander is finished at any sort of regular football”.

Only passing on what I was told.

I don't think any Doctor worth his salt is gobbing off about that kind of thing tbh. Certainly not about a patient as high profile as Helander or the others you mentioned. Not without the club finding out about it.

Waa the announcement about a new training range of merch rather than a signing? :)
H&H said as much today tbh .
Hopefully we still qualify via play offs

We must surely be due that slice of luck regarding fitness of key players and a decent pre season
While hopefully the draw is kind

And that CL cash still comes our way
Going by the way this team/squad completed the season last year, I’m very hopeful we’ll go into these qualifiers in a much better place than we did last year. The team/squad seemed really tight, really together at the end of the season

I don't think any Doctor worth his salt is gobbing off about that kind of thing tbh. Certainly not about a patient as high profile as Helander or the others you mentioned. Not without the club finding out about it.
I'd tend to agree. If it were true why is he even bothering training?

Add to that Tavernier, Kamara, Jack and Morelos for good measure.

Spend 1.25m collectively on 4 randoms from Wigan, Dundee, Aberdeen and Helsinki. Hardly going to bring us 55 or get us to a European final. The writing is on the wall. It's clear as day than none of these signing are 'rangers quality'. Cut and run I say, mark Allan out!
We got Tav in the Championship. Kamara was way too good for Dundee and probably the best Mid outside the OF. Jack was Aberdeen Captain and Morelos was top scorer in Finland.

Jones got 11 goals and assists and 8 assists in 3 seasons, all comps for Killie and had maturity issues prior to us.

Hastie had a purple patch of 4/5 months that's it.

Barker wasn't even a starter for Hibs.

Simpson wasn't even on the bench for Bournemouth.

I have a close family member who is a doctor and absolutely would not share one thing about a patient. I find this hard to believe, and that it would high profile in this case I doubt it even more.

If we don’t sign anyone and the qualifiers don’t go well the reaction will be wild.

Personally we should have enough but our squad should already have been freshened up imo as it adds competition and as every ex pro says it makes everyone else’s levels go up when quality comes into a squad.

Our friendlies start next week and we start 4 weeks vs Livi on Saturday we are wanting everyone starting together not a staggered pre season for some.

Even sign up Kent and Alfie if we can the support can get a massive lift from it.

Can you remember many players, new signings, who have made a noticeable difference in qualifiers for us over the years?

Not suggesting there are none but more often not, players need time settle.

The panic on here to get players in before the qualifiers seems over the top to me.

I know, I mean you would think folk would be well aware what happens when you spend money you’ve not got

Seems not though
It’s a matter of public record that the board stated player sales would be reinvested in the playing squad. We sold Patterson and received a windfall payment for Gerrard. We‘ve now sold Itten and Wilson for a combined £2m.
So that’s £10m so even if they spend nothing else that should be available if it’s not the current custodians need to explain where those funds went. The team that spends the most normally wins right now we’re spending less than the sheep!

Friend of mine knows the Dr and his exact words to me were “Helander is finished at any sort of regular football”.

Only passing on what I was told.
I call absolute nonsense on this, are you honestly telling us a Dr would pass on confidential information about a high profile client? Information that would be passed on to random folk who would then blab on social media?

Going by the way this team/squad completed the season last year, I’m very hopeful we’ll go into these qualifiers in a much better place than we did last year. The team/squad seemed really tight, really together at the end of the season
The worry is(for me anyway) the quality of team we could face.

1 in 4 chance we draw monaco i think in qr 3 and potentially 50/50 its psv if we make it through? I think.

Id put our chances at 50/50 and thats probably being generous considering our record in champs league qualifiers.

I think a big difference maker this seaon, outwith who we sign, but just as important, is that Gio at long last has real time to put his mark on how he wants the team to play, and give the players a proper chance to digest everything from the coaching team. arfield said himself "Gio's training consists of a lot more ball work than with previous managers", I like the sound of that, the more comfortable we are on the ball the better. That's what most european teams are like, so if we want to compete, that's the way to do it

It’s a matter of public record that the board stated player sales would be reinvested in the playing squad. We sold Patterson and received a windfall payment for Gerrard. We‘ve now sold Itten and Wilson for a combined £2m.
So that’s £10m so even if they spend nothing else that should be available if it’s not the current custodians need to explain where those funds went. The team that spends the most normally wins right now we’re spending less than the sheep!
Download the accounts and read the going concern section (page 17). Tells you where the money goes to first

1 in 4 chance we draw monaco i think in qr 3 and potentially 50/50 its psv if we make it through? I think.

Id put our chances at 50/50 and thats probably being generous considering our record in champs league qualifiers.

Monaco or PSV at this stage in the season would be brutal. I hope we avoid both.

Download the accounts and read the going concern section (page 17). Tells you where the money goes to first

Mate I spent my life in financial services I’m a share holder I can read and analyse accounts. It was publicly stated player sales would be spent on the team. If that’s untrue then the board have misled shareholders.
We are all grateful to these guys and King for what was done but time moves on and we clearly need an influx of players a changing of the guard. That’s the boards job if they can’t or won’t then surely we as a support can’t accept another 9 years of being also rans?

They seem to be able to say one thing and do another with no scrutiny from many.

There is excuse after excuse on this thread about why we can't spend despite us being told player sales would be reinvested.

I see Helander is back on the pitch involved in training.

We will probably run with Goldson and Helander at centre back next season and look to strengthen in the forward areas.

An attacking midfielder and right sided attacker are absolute priorities.
I think you are underestimating Souttar.

Mate I spent my life in financial services I’m a share holder I can read and analyse accounts. It was publicly stated player sales would be spent on the team. If that’s untrue then the board have misled shareholders.
We are all grateful to these guys and King for what was done but time moves on and we clearly need an influx of players a changing of the guard. That’s the boards job if they can’t or won’t then surely we as a support can’t accept another 9 years of being also rans?
If you have read and analysed the accounts then you would make a bit more a reasonable expectation of funds available to be spent.

Or do you want more loans from directs with interest or ask directors to dip in further?

We obviously have money to spend.

The absolute drivel that not spending big in the first few weeks in the window is somehow accepting 9 years of also rans is quite an achievment for this thread.

If we play the way we did in the europa quarter, semi etc I’d have no fear, but of course expecting the team to come out playing like that from after close season is just dreaming. I’m in agreement with you, 50/50 for me too, but feeling more positive than I did last year……the team just seemed so disjointed last year and you could tell something wasn’t right, whatever that actually was.

The Wilson money won't go into the first team budget will have been used to secure some of these new signings we've made at youth level. Similar to when Dire Mebude left for City his fee was used to bring Weston, James Graham and Charlie Lindsay in.

Are we not using the Itten money to bring in Colak?

The Patterson money in part will have been used to pay back loans and plug the £7m funding gap.

So you are saying the Patterson money will not be reinvested like we were told on more than one occasion.

The reality is, no money is ever guaranteed to be re-invested. This is pretty much, in my opinion of course, why Gerrard chose to keep his team together last season.

It was on the back of a £24M loss. If we had sold Alfie and say Kamara for £25M. The board would, within their rights, be able to keep all of it to plug the gap.

People talk about funding like its a game of football manager, the reality is, finance is fluid. Theres no such thing as a cast iron guarantee. Which is why the term "player trading model" is completely redundant. We could sell Aribo for £10M tomorrow and an investor could ask for it to pay back an outstanding loan at short notice. People have bought into jargon rather than reality

I think those are relatively fair fees, if we are actively trying to sell these players.

Although, I can guarantee you that whichever team were to sign Roofe for £2M will think they've got an absolute bargain at that price

Roofe is 29 and has managed 36 games each season he's been here. He's nowhere near as injury prone as Helander, and whilst he has to be managed, I'd far rather keep him and the close to 20 goals per season he offers us mostly from the bench than sell him at a £3m loss.

Getting a third striker in would ease the burden on Roofe and probably help get the best out of him too.

Can you remember many players, new signings, who have made a noticeable difference in qualifiers for us over the years?

Not suggesting there are none but more often not, players need time settle.

The panic on here to get players in before the qualifiers seems over the top to me.
The poster you're responding to should know, after all he uses his name and he settled quickly.

There's absolutely no proof that getting guys in early will make a difference. In fact public enemy no1 on here who got savaged after the swedish team knocked us out, ended the season one of our top men. Remember the many on here who were willing to drive him south? Folks I give you john lundstram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back