Could one player carry a club?

evo14

Official Ticketer
Always wondered how much an individual player can make a difference to a team.

For example, Christiano Ronaldo wants to leave Man Utd next year. If he rocked up at Motherwell next season, would it make them title contenders, or would the other players in the squad not being at his level stop that happening?

Can only carry a club when you still have a decent level of player around you.

Think Gerrard at Liverpool. He was world class but did have the occasional world class player beside him like Xabi Alonso, Torres at his peak and Suarez. Can’t do it all alone.

Motherwell are fucking gash everywhere else around the park. We’d be expected to pump them with Ronaldo up top.

CR7 at motherwell

maybe move them up the league in to a european spot

Completely get the OP point, however, look at what he did with Utd - how much difference was he able to make there?

One player can't do it all alone.

No one player can truly carry a team I suppose, but I felt like Laudrup was close to that at one point. Closest I’ve seen overall was probably Messi 2018/19 season, felt like every big goal his team scored if it wasn’t scored by him it’s because it was created by him.

Completely get the OP point, however, look at what he did with Utd - how much difference was he able to make there?

One player can't do it all alone.
EPL quality far higher though so probably more difficult for one player to carry the team.

I think it would be different up here

EPL quality far higher though so probably more difficult for one player to carry the team.

I think it would be different up here
I tend to agree, but maybe not though - he would get booted about a bit more up here (lower quality tends to have more of that) and he needs good service.

CR7 at motherwell

maybe move them up the league in to a european spot
Caniggia at Dundee is the only think remotely close I can think of in our league.

Didn't do much for the club but worked out for the player, 21 apps 7 goals a 6th placed finish and a transfer to us at the end of the season.

I think it's more likely the lower the divisions, with provincial teams who can manage with having a quality player with cloggers supporting, that you find this possible.

Kilmarnock, Dundee, and in the past maybe teams like Partick had a few quality ballers. It's not a football philosophy to base your club on though.

One player can make a team but not carry them single handed. The rest of the team would need to be at a sufficiently high enough level for one man to make a difference. At Motherwell you simply make Ronaldo out of the game and here is no one to step up in his place

Absolutely not regardless of how good they are! They would not have the freedom to express themselves without their team mates and that is not to say an exceptional talented player won't make a difference but as said they cannot do what they do without others sacrificing their own talent for game play!

Always wondered how much an individual player can make a difference to a team.

For example, Christiano Ronaldo wants to leave Man Utd next year. If he rocked up at Motherwell next season, would it make them title contenders, or would the other players in the squad not being at his level stop that happening?
That would be there w
First thought that came to my head was Maradona carrying Argentina to the World Cup.

Not many in his bracket though
That would be as he had class players around him.

None like him though.

Just like never again in history will we have a trio called Iniesta, Xaxi and the man.

I'd say yes. But not long term. Beckham for instance seemed to will England to victory v Greece before 2002 on his own despite it being a ridiculously talented squad.

Even in the treble 2003 year where we were generally phenomenal domestically, Barry had moments where it was him that pushed it over the line. Larsson for them too.

Suarez at Liverpool? they basically booted the ball out there half and Gnasher done the rest. Jordan Henderson was top assists the season he played with him! Almost all from his own half.

He certainly did bud, You watch his skill and you are mesmerised.

He makes and turns football into an art form.

But for me, you don't win a WC without a squad full of half decent colleagues.
Not saying they never had other good players but in that tournament they would be flat. Maradona would come deep then lift the whole team and do something world class.

In that tournament he was the closest i've seen to 'carrying a team'

To a certain extent. They’d likely win more games through moments of individual magic like free kicks or solo runs, but not over a 38 games season IMO.

See Bale and Pandev at international level. Moments of magic but not getting to major finals.

Diego Armando Maradona.

Go most places in Italy and there will be something like Jesus on the cross on a wall somewhere. In a restaurant, a shop or in a home.

In Naples? You're just as likely to see Maradona up there with Christ or even Maradona alone.

They renamed the stadium after him ffs.

Be great if some of these lads did just pick shite teams and see if they can change their fortunes.

Ronaldo to Motherwell.

Messi at Killie etc.

Ronaldo peeling off the last defender - makes half a yard of space for himself - then big Bevis Mugabe, receiving the ball on the wing, goes to deliver it on to his head, only to shank it comfortably out of play.

Would love to see the strop.

Not sure about carry a club but there's guys who u know are leaders and everyone around them in the club knows these guys won't settle for anything less than 100% Maldini , Buffon , Gerrard , Puyol, Totti. If you played in any of their team I think you'd be feeling calmer going into big games. Think everyone raises there game when u have people like that in your team.

Back