John Souttar has arrived.

First day as a Ranger, yet no shirt, tie and blazer ? Unshaven and no hat.
Carrying two pairs of sports footwear etc, but not in a stylish attache case a la " the wee society man".
I remember when our club had standards.
A disgrace, quite frankly.

Only joking, hopefully he will be a great signing for us.

I'll give it about 6 weeks before the first thread regarding his weight/physique materialises. Only giving it that long because it'll be Alfie's criticism for the next month or so as per every preseason and these poor posters can't handle 2 things at once. B-)

Heard a good story from a Hearts member of staff sitting next to him at their player of the year evening. A fan approached him and asked him to reconsider leaving as he was loved at Hearts. Soutar replied that Rangers had been his boyhood club and it was a dream come true to join them. The fan then said well f—k off then.

Hes going to be some signing if he can stay fit. Hes the best passer out of defence in the league and i say that as someone who watches Goldson weekly. His ability to step forward out of defencs with the ball will offer us a different dynamic as well. Really happy with this lad on a free

I suspect he'll be given the full "Lundstram" to start, then when he settles, he'll get the "he's too fat", then if he gets a wee knock it'll be, "a telt ye he wiz a waste eh a jersey", then when we do well in Europe and win the league the same crew will tell you he's the "greatest on earth"

It's a well worn project plan on here.

Heard a good story from a Hearts member of staff sitting next to him at their player of the year evening. A fan approached him and asked him to reconsider leaving as he was loved at Hearts. Soutar replied that Rangers had been his boyhood club and it was a dream come true to join them. The fan then said well f—k off then.

ahahaa that's awesome.

Which is a big “if”.

If Helander could stay fit, Souttar would need to accept being a sub.

I like Souttar, I think he’s a good player but his injury record is a huge concern
And there's the rub - one's as injury-prone as the other. Could well be another season of that left CB slot being rotated between those who happen to be fit at the time. Might not be ideal but we know it can work.

Can see him proving a lot of people wrong this season.
He’s a good player nobody is in any doubt about it.

Where I have doubts like many others is his horrific injury history. Three snapped achilles for starters . It remains to be seen whether he can put that behind him and produce 50 odd games a season for us.

His playing ability isn’t up for debate surely.

I do wonder who plays on the left hand side.
There was an interesting piece on the Rangers Review today talking about how much Bassey playing alongside Goldson on the left opens things up for the team in terms of possession and attacking build-up as opposed to a right-footed centre back. It makes me wonder how much we'll see of Souttar and Goldson together.

There was an interesting piece on the Rangers Review today talking about how much Bassey playing alongside Goldson on the left opens things up for the team in terms of possession and attacking build-up as opposed to a right-footed centre back. It makes me wonder how much we'll see of Souttar and Goldson together.

Maybe we change formation.

Goldson-Souttar-Bassey?

I liked his interview, when he first arrived; obviously you can't get too much from one initial interview, but he came across as a player with a first rate attitude, and every inch a Rangers player. Could be the best signing we've made in a few years

Like many other players that joined us he will probably be expected to do gym work to build up and get stronger ( remember Katic and Aribo’s transformation ). Accompanied with our training , he can be one of the fittest defenders in the league , but he needs to steer clear of injuries.

Very big hopes for John. The potential is there to improve on what he already has. Injuries may very well be his undoing but stay healthy and Rangers legend status awaits him over the next 5+ years.

All this discussion about if he’s suited to play left centre back next to Goldson has got me thinking if he was actually signed as a direct replacement for Goldson.

Back