Joe Aribo has not turned down a new Rangers contract

The problem for Rangers though, is if Aribo doesn't want to move this summer and would again prefer to once again run his contract down and leave for free next summer.

His agent could no doubt line up an attractive deal for him, with a bumper signing on fee.

Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and he either signs a new deal (unlikely imo), or we shift him for the £10 million release clause.

As I said previously though, Aribo holds all the aces and there's not much we can do about it mate.
If he has his heart set on the EPL, and I would think he has, why wait another year?
The money on offer this summer will still be massive and I'm certain there will be interested clubs.

Not that many players run down their contracts, usually when they make it clear they aren't signing on again they and the club come to an agreement to sell. I also think in this case that Aribo knows how good Rangers have been for him, and would be surprised and disappointed if he chose to treat us like he treated Charlton.

I want him to sign an extension, but if he doesn't I fully expect him to leave this summer.

200.gif

Can’t turn down something he’s said he wouldn’t sign anyway if offered.
Pretty pointless thread in that instance.

If he has his heart set on the EPL, and I would think he has, why wait another year?
The money on offer this summer will still be massive and I'm certain there will be interested clubs.

Not that many players run down their contracts, usually when they make it clear they aren't signing on again they and the club come to an agreement to sell. I also think in this case that Aribo knows how good Rangers have been for him, and would be surprised and disappointed if he chose to treat us like he treated Charlton.

I want him to sign an extension, but if he doesn't I fully expect him to leave this summer.

Personally, I think he will be sold this summer, but if he decides he's not leaving, nor signing a new contract, it doesn't automatically make it Rangers fault, as many on here (not you) are jumping in and saying.

He's not a slave.
He can only be sold if :-
a) somebody meets our valuation
b) he wants to go
I get that mate, I'm sure the board will make their feelings known to him that we need the money from the transfer if he's willing to go now.

A Fulham / Crystal Palace / Southampton type team would be perfect for him.

No point worrying about it fellow bears. The reasons have been well documented, with the model we have, bottom line is we are a season too late,

And before I get hammered, taking a pragmatic view and with the benefit of hindsight, decisions made last season to support a manager who left us anyway then a failure to win the league, will likely set us back a fair bit over the next couple of seasons unless we can secure CL football.

45 minutes against a 10 man Malmo and a 6 point SPFL advantage turn around. The true cost of blatant cheating, both referee performances and changes to the winter break schedule can’t be underestimated.

I really hope he signs but if not, we are back to same old question again, gamble on his impact on CL qualification prospects by keeping him to run his contract down or try and sell at a reduced price this summer and risk all.

It’s not easy for the club whatever they try and do playing in this backwater.

It sounds as good as turning down a contract, before offering a contract his agent would have said what he wants. If it was it was unrealistic or non negotiable then no point offering a contract

If he doesn’t want to go yet he has to sign a new deal, if he won’t he needs to be told he’s going.
I’d be delighted if he signs a new deal (with no release clause) and we can cash in next summer.

David Edgar saying he’s not turned down a deal but is very unlikely to sign a new contract.

So a pretty meaningless update in all honesty
Sounds like his agent has said what he wants and Rangers ain’t offered a deal, So as good as turning a deal down

If he doesn’t want to go yet he has to sign a new deal, if he won’t he needs to be told he’s going.
I’d be delighted if he signs a new deal (with no release clause) and we can cash in next summer.
We can't tell him he's going, he has a contract.

‘’We go again next season for silverware’’

After Goldson staying nothing would surprise me and his comments a few weeks ago were not a young man itching to get away with dollar signs in his eyes.

Not saying it will happen but we are too quick to assume he is wanting away and it’s decided.
I may be naive, but Joe doesn’t strike me as someone who gets excited by money. I think he knows he has higher wages ahead, but when he goes, he goes to a big club with European ambitions. Not Forest or Palace, although Palace under Viera look like building a team with ambitions, but to a top club, maybe Arsenal? or West Ham under Moyes?
Regardless he has everything he needs at Ibrox for now.

I still think he'll leave in this window but would be happy for him to stay.
Only if a new contract has been signed. Our new model was supposed to be based on player trading, not letting players leave for nothing. I know you cannot stop players doing it, but I don't know of other clubs having the same problems.

I never said that.

David Edgar saying very unlikely to sign a new deal

So we have two media partners putting out different messages but ultimately same outcome

Not turned down but unlikely to sign, all seems like semantics really, he’ll be off before the season starts

As I keep saying, I reckon all of our big players will wait to find out if we qualify for the UCL or not before making a decision on their future.
None of them would want to miss out on a rocking Ibrox playing in a UCL group match against a top team.
If we do qualify, the club would be able to offer them enhanced contract terms and we would basically have the same squad as we finished last season with one or two good quality additions who would come in because we know we would have extra money.
It will be easier to sign players from elsewhere if they know they’re playing in the UCL.
I will contradict myself to some extent, I still do feel that Aribo will be tempted to go to the EPL.

I'd love it if Aribo, Kent and Morelos signed new contracts. And Bassey. Would leave the 'team needs a revamp' guys in a bit of a quandary though.

I'm sure Ross Wilson will have had many discussions with all of them, and their Agents, and will know if they are open to new deals and what they want.

Joe has history for running down his contract though and has done very well out of it, which is a bit concerning.

And spare me the 'move them on' stuff. If they don't want to move and choose to run down their contract that is entirely their privilege.

I would love them to sign contracts but realistically we need to sell some players to bring in new blood.

Whilst I think £10 million is low that's still a huge profit.

‘’We go again next season for silverware’’

After Goldson staying nothing would surprise me and his comments a few weeks ago were not a young man itching to get away with dollar signs in his eyes.

Not saying it will happen but we are too quick to assume he is wanting away and it’s decided.
Agreed been surprised to see everyone confident he's leaving when all the evidence - his interview. Points to him staying.

Too difficult for some of us to grasp it seems.

It’s not difficult to grasp, but if we’re happy for players to sit out their contracts this time next year we could have Aribo, Kent & Alfie leave (£50m+ worth) for nothing, where does that leave the club in terms of finance? Say we don’t make the CL, then what?
We have to at least try and move them on.

It’s not difficult to grasp, but if we’re happy for players to sit out their contracts this time next year we could have Aribo, Kent & Alfie leave (£50m+ worth) for nothing, where does that leave the club in terms of finance? Say we don’t make the CL, then what?
We have to at least try and move them on.
Nobody is disputing that mate - none of us want that to happen - simply pointing out that its the players decision ultimately. We can't 'sell', we can't 'move them on' and all the other cliched words, unless that's what the player wants. We do not have it in our gift to force anyone to leave. Talk of benching them or dropping them altogether - remember its potentially Aribo, Kent and Morelos - is ludicrous.

It makes sense to strike whilst the iron is hot with some of the squad members . Nothing wrong with us buying cheap and selling high, and all of them should have a realistic value for sale. I don’t think we can gamble on making the champions league group stages to hope players stay.

Obviously it's dependent upon an offer coming in.

Is there a number where we don't sell - for example, if Palace offer 6m do we turn that down?

I don't think for a minute that he hasn't been offered a new contract. In fact, probably several. As @Highway Star says immediately above your post though, the most likely thing is that the contract offer is there but he and his Agent have yet to either decline or accept it. Keeping his options open for now, in other words.
I don't think anyone said he has not been offered a contract,what was said was he has not turned down one,a major difference.

Sorry but I don't believe that for a second, what's the club claiming here, that we haven't offered him an extension at all and just allowed his contract to run down? :rolleyes:
Good question. And that’s what we’re interested in. Joe can simply let his contact run down if he so chooses. Rangers can’t afford that.

Reactions: BWO
I don't think anyone said he has not been offered a contract,what was said was he has not turned down one,a major difference.
That's what I said all the way back in post #42 mate.:) Only to be hit with reams of posts saying 'oh well, he's probably not been offered one then'.:rolleyes:

And what is that? We can't force anyone to bid what we consider an acceptable fee. Even if someone did offer something acceptable to us the player might not fancy said club 'f*cked if I'm going to bloody Bournemouth mate. I'm going to sit tight until next Summer'. What then?
Sit him on the bench that's what we do ,make an example ,we have a more consistent player in Lowry in my opinion,Aribo has about one good game in three,to inconsistent which may be the reason clubs are not rushing to buy him

Back