John Park Joins Rangers

This marquee-signing policy marked a divergence from the mostly low-cost transfer approach of the majority of Park’s tenure. So does he ever wish he had a similar budget for a single player?

“Never,” he says, “never in my life. I find it strange that people spend that amount of money on some players when you can find 100 players just as good, if not better, for a portion of that money. Have Celtic spent money and done well? I don’t know. You look at Edouard: £9 million. But then you include his wages for a couple of million, and then the sell-on (PSG had a 40 per cent cut on the profit from his £14 million sale to Crystal Palace of the Premier League in August), is that value for money?

“There are some excellent young players out there that you can find through the right tools and processes, which the right scouting team can deliver. I’m totally convinced of that.

“That’s the part of it I love.”

Sunderland and Blackburn after the Dhims. Hamilton Accies and Motherwell before the Dhims.

I had it in my head he'd been with Hibs as well but no mention of it in the article.
Is there not a coach with the same name?

Sounds familiar to me anyway

Very highly thought of throughout the UK and Europe. We never had anywhere near the level of scouting infrastructure that would be required to attract the top people in scouting until Gerrard and his team arrived. I'm sure he's a bluenose as well.

If we are giving him praise for Van Dijk etc then it’s worth mentioning his less than successful deals.

Stefan Scepovic (£2.3m)
Amido Balde (£1.8m)
Derek Boerrigter (£3m)
Efe Ambrose (£1.5m)
Mo Bangura (£2.2m)
Efrain Juarez (£3m)
Marc Antoine Fortune (£4m)
Jos Hooiveld (£2m)
Morten Rasmussen (£1.3m)
Glen Loovens (£2.5m)

This marquee-signing policy marked a divergence from the mostly low-cost transfer approach of the majority of Park’s tenure. So does he ever wish he had a similar budget for a single player?

“Never,” he says, “never in my life. I find it strange that people spend that amount of money on some players when you can find 100 players just as good, if not better, for a portion of that money. Have Celtic spent money and done well? I don’t know. You look at Edouard: £9 million. But then you include his wages for a couple of million, and then the sell-on (PSG had a 40 per cent cut on the profit from his £14 million sale to Crystal Palace of the Premier League in August), is that value for money?

“There are some excellent young players out there that you can find through the right tools and processes, which the right scouting team can deliver. I’m totally convinced of that.

“That’s the part of it I love.”
I hadn’t heard that one before.
Sell on, yes.
Forty percent, no.

For god sake get him in at his desk before the weekend before some Rangers fans kill each other in the transfer thread.

1st good signing = rub it in the faces of the tims, get it up ye

1st shit signing = Spy in the camp, tim in the ranks, etc

Lets hope he signs quality

John Park tried to get Ross Wilson to Celtic a few years back but Wilson didn’t fancy it.

Chelsea also wanted Park during the Arnesen and Mourinho era.

If we are giving him praise for Van Dijk etc then it’s worth mentioning his less than successful deals.

Stefan Scepovic (£2.3m)
Amido Balde (£1.8m)
Derek Boerrigter (£3m)
Efe Ambrose (£1.5m)
Mo Bangura (£2.2m)
Efrain Juarez (£3m)
Marc Antoine Fortune (£4m)
Jos Hooiveld (£2m)
Morten Rasmussen (£1.3m)
Glen Loovens (£2.5m)
If he gets his successful deals right, then that's what he will be judged on. There is not one scout in the world that has a 100% track record. Even Benfica and Porto's have some howlers but we only remember their amazing finds/profits they were sold for.

Pretty decent if that’s the standard of scouts below the chief scout now.

Surprised he’s a Rangers fan though what a plot twist

They recruited better than us last season. What about the season before? The season before that? We have caught up with them to the extent that we have imo a much better squad than them.
Whoever wins the league is the best team it takes far more consistency.

I reckon this could be a game changer for us in terms of scouting and transfers.

He is, or at the very least was, a very good scout and knows a player. His track record is there for all to see. His successes achieved, regardless of which club it was at, would strongly suggest that he has a proven track record at buying cheap and selling on for a fortune.

A major upgrade for us in the scouting dept.

Sunderland and Blackburn after the Dhims. Hamilton Accies and Motherwell before the Dhims.

I had it in my head he'd been with Hibs as well but no mention of it in the article. EDIT: Seems I haven't lost my marbles and he was, indeed, with Hibs for 7 years, I think in charge of their Academy.
He was at Hibs when Thomson, Rioirdan Brown, etc broke through

Back