Dave King | Douglas Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kit_Bear

Whether it’s general unrest from the lack of transfer activity or a genuine observation I can’t help but feel that a large section of the support is becoming more and more distrusting of this board.

The 150th celebrations weren’t handled well at all followed by the Australian debacle. Then we’ve had the last 3 transfer windows. I get that this one isn’t finished yet, so it shouldn’t count but you’d have expected some money spent and players in the door by now. Considering the qualifiers. (The 3 since DK left?)

So, why the sudden uptake in bad boardroom decisions and activity? For me it looks like there’s a correlation between the decline of our off-field ability and Dave King leaving.

I just wanted to know what the general opinion is on this and why it’s not really talked about that much? Douglas Park hasn’t delivered anything of note since taking over other than perhaps a noticeable tightening of the purse strings.

I’ll await the “hello Mr King” first reply but to be honest it’s not really a formed opinion just something I’ve been thinking about and would like some more insight on.

Whether it’s general unrest from the lack of transfer activity or a genuine observation I can’t help but feel that a large section of the support is becoming more and more distrusting of this board.

The 150th celebrations weren’t handled well at all followed by the Australian debacle. Then we’ve had the last 3 transfer windows. I get that this one isn’t finished yet, so it shouldn’t count but you’d have expected some money spent and players in the door by now. Considering the qualifiers. (The 3 since DK left?)

So, why the sudden uptake in bad boardroom decisions and activity? For me it looks like there’s a correlation between the decline of our off-field ability and Dave King leaving.

I just wanted to know what the general opinion is on this and why it’s not really talked about that much? Douglas Park hasn’t delivered anything of note since taking over other than perhaps a noticeable tightening of the purse strings.

I’ll await the “hello Mr King” first reply but to be honest it’s not really a formed opinion just something I’ve been thinking about and would like some more insight on.

Is this transfer window not bad enough without reading this nonsense!

Whilst a lot of people aren't happy with how the club is run or certain areas of it just remember be careful what you wish for.

Currently I feel the best interests of the club are being handled whilst we are slowly improving areas of the stadium, training centre and backroom staff.

Mad to think we played in the Final of the Europa League and won the Scottish Cup a few days later, only a matter of weeks ago. Going to be a long summer with p*sh like this

Nothing of note, in the last two seasons?

Did King not leave us/Park in a bit of a mess in terms of funding. I seem to remember chat about something like a 25mil funding hole Park had to fill.

Could be talking absolute rubbish.

See that would explain it. It could be Park is just more sensible with money and has a more difficult situation to navigate because of the hand dealt after King left. I thought we could have a conversation about it but clearly FF can’t handle anything that remotely resembles a criticism.

I feel that maybe a sensible route is being taken as well. As we know the club could do with making a profit some time. I think there will be more activity if Rangers win the qualifying round that is coming up. They may feel that it will be a waste of a big money signing or whatever if Rangers don’t win the game and it leaves shortcomings. However on the other side, you could ask, why didn’t they bring in someone before to make sure they qualify for the champions league. A lot of what I’ve been reading has been to do with the Ajax model of producing good youngsters and have them playing together from a young age right through.
With the coming back of a few players from Injury and no one being sold yet of note, I can’t see too much more being done in this window

See that would explain it. It could be Park is just more sensible with money and has a more difficult situation to navigate because of the hand dealt after King left. I thought we could have a conversation about it but clearly FF can’t handle anything that remotely resembles a criticism.
To be fair slagging King off is almost encouraged here so you should be fine.

Douglas Park hasn't delivered anything of note? Apart from the £40million he and others have contributed to keep the club afloat for the past 2 seasons.

Right this went about as well as expected. Feel free to chop it admin.

Nothing of note was meant in terms of off field activity but I get that was a poor choice of words.

LoL

People are blaming the board but really they just aren't happy with reality

This is the level we are at and this is the amount of money we have.

Don't want to sell stadium rights, don't want to maximise commercial income, don't want to profit on the old firm tag blah blah blah. Then we don't have money for £10m transfer kitty's

O M G.......

Don't want to sell stadium rights, don't want to maximise commercial income, don't want to profit on the old firm tag blah blah blah. Then we don't have money for £10m transfer kitty's

Nailed it.

@Kit_Bear there's yer receipt mate

A penalty shoot out from a European trophy, a League win last season, and a SC win is nothing of note. We really have came a long way.
All true but after Celtic folded like a pack of cards we have allowed them to win the league giving them access to the champions league money. We have to make sure we get through these qualifiers so that we don't start falling behind them.

It was the same shite when some folk started to criticize Minty. The OP asked some questions in a respectful manner. Surely to fk there could be a debate without it devolving to childish puss takes. I for one would like to know what junior brings to the board, apart from daddy’s cash.

All true but after Celtic folded like a pack of cards we have allowed them to win the league giving them access to the champions league money. We have to make sure we get through these qualifiers so that we don't start falling behind them.
It didn't help that we had a transition from manager to manager. I know there was a new managerial bounce, but it was as clear as day that the manager and players were getting to know each other. The turning point was possibly between Dortmund and the SC Semi Final, but it came. I am extremely optimistic about this upcoming season; we have the better of the two managers, but I also think we have the better team as it stands even now. We'll see though.

Last edited:
I think you've posted something you think worth discussing, but there is so much negativity going round, it just looks like another board bashing post.
Dave King bought loads of players, many to be paid for after he left.

The thing I don’t get with these type of threads is that our annual accounts are freely available on the internet together with sensible (ie non-Kerrydale St) analysis of them.

I genuinely think some fans believe the board are sitting on a mountain of cash and for unspecified reasons are refusing to use it for team strengthening

Absolute drivel

We won 55, got to the europa league final and also won the Scottish Cup under Park. Dave King is a very difficult guy to get along with by all accounts, both on a personal / professional basis. No idea about Park but seems to have our best interests at heart and has sunk a fair chunk of money into the club.

Stewart Robertson runs the BAU on a daily basis. He deserves most of the blame for bad decisions. I am a big fan of Dave King and felt we moved a bit more at pace under him, but Park has done very well to steer us through a very difficult period. There are real areas of concern re decision making ie the friendly which I have no doubts will be addressed at the AGM.

The thing I don’t get with these type of threads is that our annual accounts are freely available on the internet together with sensible (ie non-Kerrydale St) analysis of them.

I genuinely think some fans believe the board are sitting on a mountain of cash and for unspecified reasons are refusing to use it for team strengthening
I don't know if it's just post admin or not, but certainly ever since then there seems to be a plethora of budding 'accountants' in our mix incapable of understanding a set of accounts.

For some, it seems, a season is just the same as fiscal year. Ie it starts, whatever happens happens, & then come the start of the new season you start from scratch again & nothing that went before it matters.

If only that were true.

If I'm being unfair on the OP then I'll apologise, but he seems to be slanting it in a way that DK no longer being on the board is where the problems have started from.

Again, if only that were true.

DK, in conjunction with the 3 bears, was the right man, at the right time, with the business aggression that we needed. 100%. I wholeheartedly thank him for his contribution.

Whether through choice, or a forcing of his hand, he could no longer invest, although that did not stop him spending the clubs cash.

Now whether that was right or wrong is a matter of opinion, but anyone could surely understand why fellow investors would be at least irked by that, and I really wouldn't blame them for that.

What is also true, is that the initial investment in the playing staff was front loaded. It's a fact.

With the current board we have bears who have invested a significant sum of cash, who have delivered 55, kept together (rightly or wrongly) a squad that reached a European final, plugging the financial holes we've had along the way, dealing with an empty stadium for a year, & finally sorted out the fat bastard as well.

They have also made mistakes during that time, Australia the big one for most I imagine.

I often feel like the people having a go at them must either have selective, short, or childlike memories.

But that's all just my opinion.

To suggest Douglas Park hasn’t delivered is frankly unreasonable given the cash support that created an environment that produced a League title a Europa final and a Scottish Cup win. Do we want more, of course we do, that’s what being a supporter engenders.

To consider a tightening of the purse strings as a failing rather than an acceptance of living within our means, operating with financial prudence and within budgeted parameters, would be wrong.

Dave King had his time and few would have bad words for him but he was not adverse to poor decision making. Pedro, McInnes, the ongoing escalating legal battle with the fat boy and its ancillary problems all happened under his watch. That’s not criticism but a statement of fact. But for me he earned the right to make his mistakes as have the current Board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back