Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Training in Nuremburg before the ECWC Final in 1967
Yet another heartbreaking experience for us that night in Nuremburg, but it was shown live on British TV that night unlike in 1972. One image i recall from that night was Scot Symon on the touchline wearing a full length New York cop style raincoat which had the words Rangers FC on the back. I wonder where that coat finished up and is it in someones collection of memorabilia, It would have been an interesting item for the club museum.

I vaguely remember hearing/reading about that chant,
but I thought it was
Oh Campbell Forsyth
YOU wish you were Ritchie
As I frequently do and get the narrative wrong. Dung may or may not as the case may be, have said the Rangers end sang your or my interpretion of the lyrics. However I think it might have been at the Scotland v England game of 64 as opposed to the SC final.

That nineteen sixty-four international signalled the only time in the 20th century that Scotland had recorded three victories on the trot over our 'old rivals'. I'm also pretty sure it hasn't been repeated ever since.

My oops yet again.

If it is 1958, the ref would possibly be Bobby Davidson?

I think the semi final went to a replay and Davidson disallowed a Rangers goal (Brand?) in a 3-2 defeat.
I found the teams etc on both games and i cant find now ffs I remember the Brand "goal" that would have made it 3-3

I'm sure the disallowed "goal" was scored by Max Murray.
And almost as sure the game finished 2-1.
Davidson had time on his side regards us and Hibs in a cup tie.

Pretty sure he was the ref at Ibrox at the start of 1974/75 when he disallowed a Derek Johnstone blaster in a leagye cup section tie.

I found the teams etc on both games and i cant find now ffs I remember the Brand "goal" that would have made it 3-3
My old man always told me that Lawrie Reilly basically had the referee (Davidson) by the throat during a Scottish cup tie against Hibs resulting in a Rangers goal being chalked off.

I've got two queries here without looking info up and I only have Rangers stuff to go by anyway and sod google.

Was Reilly still a Hibs player as late as 58?

Was there another previously disallowed Rangers goal in the SC tie v Hibs at Ibrox in 1950/51, when Reilly would undoubtedly have played?

To add to the mix, I can't envisage Davidson being a referee as far back as 1950.

My old man always told me that Lawrie Reilly basically had the referee (Davidson) by the throat during a Scottish cup tie against Hibs resulting in a Rangers goal being chalked off.

I've got two queries here without looking info up and I only have Rangers stuff to go by anyway and sod google.

Was there another previously disallowed Rangers goal in the SC tie v Hibs at Ibrox in 1950/51, when Reilly would undoubtedly have played?

To add to the mix, I can't envisage Davidson being a referee as far back as 1950.
Lawrie Reilly was still in Hibs books in to 1958

I would have thought Joe Baker was Hibs centre forward in 1958?

Lawrie Reilly was still in Hibs books in to 1958
So if Reilly played in that semi final my old man was possibly right. I was wondering if he had got the two different cup ties mixed up. Which was the puzzler.

He was always and still is my go to guy.

He can still reel off the Great Britain teams that played the Rest Of Europe in the 40s and 50s and the Hungarian team that played at Hampden in 1954 art the drop of a hat.

Do you have any idea what the capacity of the ground was because the Rangers end looks a lot smaller than it was in the 40's plus

March 1968 v Stirling Albion. 5 nil game
Another great picture

It's incredible how our crowds fluctuated back then
Growing up in the early 70's I heard about our record attendance and so many 80/90 thousand crowds.
But when you read into it ,we had a lot 20,000 or so attendances in amongst it .

Last edited:
I'm sure the disallowed "goal" was scored by Max Murray.
And almost as sure the game finished 2-1.

If it is 1958, the ref would possibly be Bobby Davidson?

I think the semi final went to a replay and Davidson disallowed a Rangers goal (Brand?) in a 3-2 defeat.
If it is/was the 2-1 controversial replay defeat, both Brand and Murray had goals disallowed.

Newspaper reports from that game indicated Brand scored early on in the game, though it was disallowed for offside (1 paper indicated it was Millar).

As for Murray's goal late on, Davidson gave the goal, and immediately pointed to the centre circle, but after being surrounded by Hibs players, he consulted his Linesman, then awarded Hibs a free kick.
Despite Davidson Refereeing at 3 World Cup Finals (62' 70' 74') he seemed to be hated by everyone.
There was a story going around by the yahoos that on the eve of the Celtic Aberdeen 1970 Scottish Cup Final, 'Brother' Davidson spoke to a gathering at the masonic temple in Clydebank and left the brethren in no doubt as to what the outcome would be the following day.

Lawrie Reilly did not play in either of those Cup games, Joe Baker did, but Reilly did play against Rangers 10 days later (and scored) in the league match. It was his last appearance in a Hibs shirt.

Was just

Another great picture

It's incredible how our crowds fluctuated back then
Growing up in the early 70's I heard about our record attendance and so many 80/90 thousand crowds.
But when you read into it ,we had a lot 20,000 or so attendances in amongst it .
We were in front all that season only to drop silly points in the last few weeks but crowds did swing from 80 thousand plus to under 20.The big difference was very few season tickets in the sixties and seventies.

Yes, Reilly retired in 1958 due to an injury. Hibs played the same team in both semi-final games in 1958 - Leslie, Grant, McClelland, Turnbull. Paterson, Baxter, Fraser, Aitken, Baker, Preston and Ormand.
For me, that means my old man was getting a disallowed goal against Hibs mixed up. Unless of course there was one in the 1951 fixture.

Back