James Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davie Weir

Not a negative thread against Souttar but one of praise for James Sands. I think his recent performances (Europa League final, 3 pre season friendlies and when he came on today) have shown he deserves to start at left center back for us until someone proves they can be better. That may well be a fit Davies when he’s back but for now I think Sands should be playing. His distribution and range of passing are really good and he looks comfortable playing with his left or right foot. His ability in the air is something that surprised me too and he doesn’t get beaten many times.

Needs to play from start on Tuesday and I hope we sign him on a permanent.

May not be a starter but he is great back up for 3/4 positions.

It has to be Sands' position for the time being. Souttar needs more time to bed in, and that's being kind.

His only weakness when he played centre back last season was that he wasn't aggressive enough. Today he was outstanding, winning every aerial battle, and showed a level of aggression I didn't think he had. If he can add a bit more muscle, he looks like he'll be a tremendous centre half going forward. The jersey is his for now.

Always had him viewed as a successor to Lundstram/Jack, but I’m seriously coming round to the idea of him as a centre back.

Only potential issue is the physical side, but he was aggressive today and winning headers.

What is the buy-out clause? Hopefully get him for a reasonable amount of cash.
Rumoured to be about £3.5-4m.

Which I think would end up being a bargain, and I’ve said for sometime I will be very surprised if we don’t choose to activate it.

He was solid, held his line and instilled confidence at the back by going for and winning headers. He won every duel, and made comfortable passes from the back.

My only concern would be perhaps his pace against a nippy striker, but I guess his in game intelligence will help with that, he would take a step back to give him some help.

He was terrific when he came on, and he is the central defender we totally desire and he’s been right under our nose the whole time!!

Will be a shame if he’s dropped for Souttar, as Souttar hasn’t really shown why he deserves to start as first choice.

Last edited:
I'm liking him more and more after every game.

He is solid and you can see why he has caps for the U.S

Him and Tillman are going to cost us a lot of money next season.

I think he will eclipse Goldson in a couple of seasons time. I was a big Souttar fan but Sands just oozes quality. A serious player.
I was under the impression Souttar was here for games like today but he wasn't very good and that's a worry imo.

Hopefully nerves or fitness rather than ability today and as posted Sands looked better.

Souttar was very poor - as he was during the preseason games.

Sands was very assured and done well - as per his preseason performances aswell.

No whipping boyism, no panty wetting. Just reality.

Both will play a part this season. Neither will be first picks when we have everyone available though imo.

Hopefully this will be the end of the “he doesn’t bring anything” chatter.
For me that jersey is his now until someone can prove they’re good enough to replace him.
Jim Sands the silent assassin.

The thing is people will say he done f all, because he just gets on with it, there is no drama. The whole defence seemed to calm when he came on,

When he came in he appeared slight and a bit timid, too much so to play at the back. I felt he was just a backup for the defensive midfield slot at best.

But 6 months settling in, gym work. steroids and double espresso shots and it perhaps looks like we might have another beast on our hands at centre back.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back