James Sands

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the defensive phase he reads the game superbly. In the offensive phase he sees the whole game ahead of him. These are priceless attributes in a centre-half. The more so given the way Gio wants the team to play. He also has the ability and the composure to play the press-beating pass.

I know it's very early days but he could be the surprise package this season.

Looked very comfortable in all the friendlies and today.

Really like him, brings a real assurance to the team. Remember remarking how you could notice a difference to the team in the EL Final when he came on, and allowed us to start taking control.

He’s going to make a lot of people look very stupid. His reading of the game & passing is brilliant. I can’t remember him losing anything in the air either? He’s going to have a very good season.

Not necessarily. Look at Bassey. If the quality is there, you can be versatile and a guaranteed starter.

People also seem to forget that he moved continent 6 months ago as a 21 yr old, only turned 22 this month.

There's very few (if any?) Scottish players have showed this level of technical ability, athleticism and potential at such a young age in recent years. I'm pretty excited about the boy's future and I hope he cements a place in the team, makes it to the USA WC squad.

People also seem to forget that he moved continent 6 months ago as a 21 yr old, only turned 22 this month.

There's very few (if any?) Scottish players have showed this level of technical ability, athleticism and potential at such a young age in recent years. I'm pretty excited about the boy's future and I hope he cements a place in the team, makes it to the USA WC squad.

Some can forget just how big a change culturally it is to come here from the US. Think the boy will have a big season for us.

He's very good in the air, always has been, but somehow that's gone under the radar. Think it's more obvious now as he's at CH.

I've liked him from day one. Good on the ball, great passer, good in the air, intelligent and a great attitude. Has added physicality.

He's going to have an excellent season.
He is also very quick and can read the game well

Very under rated player imo

Deserves a run in the team

Won his headers, and convincingly. That made a big difference when he came on.
He and Tillman both share the same bloody-mindedness of going in, full body, for aerial balls.

It's not something that the rest of our players are known for -- for a few seasons now I've seen our players watching the ball in the air, watching, watching, standing back, watching it .... until the opposition player gets their head on it, or simply takes it down and runs away with it.

Neither Sands nor Tillman allow them the time nor space for that.

There is a pattern with our players, especially under Gio. Give them 4-6 months to bed in, develop physically, and be coached technically, players come on leaps and bounds. It's why I'm so excited about Tillman, Matondo, and Yilmaz.

He was solid, held his line and instilled confidence at the back by going for and winning headers. He won every duel, and made comfortable passes from the back.

My only concern would be perhaps his pace against a nippy striker, but I guess his in game intelligence will help with that, he would take a step back to give him some help.

He was terrific when he came on, and he is the cereal defender we totally desire and he’s been right under our nose the whole time!!

Will be a shame if he’s dropped for Souttar, as Souttar hasn’t really shown why he deserves to start as first choice.
If he is a cereal defender, should we not be calling him Tony the Tiger?

I'm not saying he's not a good player, far from it, but if his role is to fill in certain positions then he'll never make a position his own. He'll become a squad player rather than a starting player

If he is a cereal defender, should we not be calling him Tony the Tiger?
I think cereal is a staple breakfast item if that's what you're eluding to.

It's a safe option and you know what you're going to get. Need more cereal defenders.

I'm not saying he's not a good player, far from it, but if his role is to fill in certain positions then he'll never make a position his own. He'll become a squad player rather than a starting player

Calvin Bassey was filling LB or LCH, I wouldn't have classified him a squad player.

I think we'll see the same with Sands as he matures, he'll play CH, Holding MF or RB if needed, starting most games. I'd definitely start him on Tuesday.

Calvin Bassey was filling LB or LCH, I wouldn't have classified him a squad player.

I think we'll see the same with Sands as he matures, he'll play CH, Holding MF or RB if needed, starting most games. I'd definitely start him on Tuesday.
Where would you start him, and which out of those positions would you expect him to make his own?

When he came in he appeared slight and a bit timid, too much so to play at the back. I felt he was just a backup for the defensive midfield slot at best.

But 6 months settling in, gym work. steroids and double espresso shots and it perhaps looks like we might have another beast on our hands at centre back.
He's certainly realized you need to be physical.. did he lose any headers?

Reminds me a bit of Craig moore

Where would you start him, and which out of those positions would you expect him to make his own?

Start him at left CH until we see what Davies can do, Souttar can cover Goldson until he's fit!
I'd be happy with him starting there, or as the holding MF, or part of a back 3.

£4 million pound could really be a snip if he continues this kind of form throughout the season. Been really good all throughout pre season and continued today. Dealt with a guy that souttar struggled with relatively well. Not a criticism of souttar, he’s going through personal issues and trying to play through it but is obviously struggling. That on top of having to adjust from RCB to LCB(which is a major change for a player) is probably why he’s struggling.

Start him at left CH until we see what Davies can do, Souttar can cover Goldson until he's fit!
I'd be happy with him starting there, or as the holding MF, or part of a back 3.
So you don't have a settled position for him. That was my point, he's a very able stand in in several positions but I'm not sure he'll establish himself in one particular position. Having someone so versatile in the squad is fantastic for us but I think the guy needs to find out where is position is and fight for the starting slot.

So you don't have a settled position for him. That was my point, he's a very able stand in in several positions but I'm not sure he'll establish himself in one particular position. Having someone so versatile in the squad is fantastic for us but I think the guy needs to find out where is position is and fight for the starting slot.

He's plenty time and Gio likes versatility in a player.
Bassey was always going to play once he forced his way into the team, CH or LB.
I can see Sands developing in a similar way, until he cements one position.

FFS, CH or holding MF, going round in circles here mate :))
You're making my point, you can't give a fixed position for him. He's a solid 7/10 wherever he plays he hasn't let us down and is an asset to the team but we need 8+/10 players. I'm trying to think of an old player who I could use as an example and the best I'm getting is John Brown, played CH, LB and midfield. Never let us down, one of my favourite ever players, but always felt he was always the one we would replace.

Wasn't to sure what he brought to the squad at first but he's won me over. Was very good today

You're making my point, you can't give a fixed position for him. He's a solid 7/10 wherever he plays he hasn't let us down and is an asset to the team but we need 8+/10 players. I'm trying to think of an old player who I could use as an example and the best I'm getting is John Brown, played CH, LB and midfield. Never let us down, one of my favourite ever players, but always felt he was always the one we would replace.

Bomber had a no bad career for us.

Sands is the player that all managers love, the one they can trust to go out there and do a job for them when needed. The fact that he can cover a few positions will not hamper him especially with a Dutch coach who started as a winger and ended as a full back.

Look at how he has been played this season, he is more a CB than anything else. Now that may change if needs must.

Shows the benefits of a longer term loan if you are confident in a players ability

If that was a 6 month loan then you wouldn’t say many would be demanding us shelling out there and then in the summer.

Now he’s really starting to show what he’s capable of.

Yeah, I think Bomber's a good comparison, but playing the the filth, Bomber would be a first name on the teamsheet.
Like said above, the versatility will be to Sands advantage, I think he'll play most games in either position before making one his own.

This’ll be his year if he’s given the chance, the 4 million fee will seem like an absolute bargain. He reads the game brilliantly, is athletic, has a brilliant range of passing, wins more in the air than he really should and has a composure that’s way beyond his years. Really hope he’s given his chance to shine this year.

Sands is definitely a better centre half than he is a midfielder. Still personally think letting Balogun and Katic leave in favour of playing Souttar is a mistake. Obviously yet to see Davies and losing hope with Helander (a pity as I really really rate Helander)

If he goes with Sands on Tuesday (I would) it could be a long way back for Soutter already. Can't write anyone off after one game, but with Sands looking more than capable there, Helander and Davies fighting for the slot its going to be very hard for him
I think his expected long term position is as Goldson's backup tbh. He's all right foot and his game in terms of accurate long diagonals and starting our moves from the back are 2 of his key strengths. His stats charts aren't dissimilar to Goldson's either. He is essentially a like for like replacement, not a partner. Davies will be first choice LCB, Helander 2nd, with Sands filling in when required. It's clear Souttar isn't comfortable at LCB, it doesn't make him a poor player though, and I expect Sands to start midweek as he is far more comfortable there.

Surely Souttar was really only intended as a backup for Goldson anyway? Davies and Helander will vie for the left sided centre back berth and Sands is the utility option.

I do agree that I’d prefer Sands to start on Tuesday. Souttar looked worryingly slow and positionally suspect and while no one should seriously write him off after one competitive game, he needs to improve considerably on today’s showing.
I think your probably right and would imagine it was sold to Souttar coming in as a rotational player with plenty of opportunities to stake his claim as a starting 11 mainstay.

Will be Goldson/Davies in the long run.

Sands is a good player in numerous positions, I really liked him last season and he’s started this season even better.

I’d play Sands on Tuesday especially if Borna is starting. Can’t afford to be that weak down the left.

Souttar will come good in time, trust the process.

I've always liked Sands, he's a no thrills utility player, but the type that is a great team mate and hugely important for a squad playing approx 60 games a season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back