Sakala

Clubdeckg

Safe to assume his times up? Not saying he's the answer but after Kent's injury thought he may have got the chance tonight! 12 goals, 7 assists in his debut season in a new league, played and scored alot in the Belgian league. Clearly not in Gio' plans

He’s nowhere the finished product and he’s not used to being a winger but there’s clearly something about him and his numbers show that. Team selection was wrong today and Sakala could’ve been an upgrade.

Gio could have justifiably taken off any of the middle-front players this evening and yet Sakala stays benched. His time is up.

We needed a bit of pace tonight. We could well have used him. When Wright came on, he at least used a bit of pace to make a couple of runs. Sakala would have been a better option than Colak tonight.

He’s better than Colak and Wright yet still nowhere near good enough.

Which makes their game time worrying.

I think he’s been VERY harshly treated. He’s not the most cultured, but he was exactly what we needed tonight. We were so static and happy to play in front of a wall. I think Sakala as a left sided striker would definitely add goals to our attack. His stats show that.

He should have come on tonight

He at least runs at defenders and shoots
Something that was badly missed tonight, the fact he was left on the bench suggests Gio simply doesn't rate him! He can be frustrating as hell at times, no doubt about that but a far better option than Wright IMO

He is actually very effective playing on the left ,his closing down up front is also good,remember last season in Europe a big part off our game was our forwards defending from the front tonight's opposition defence just strolled out and pinged passes forward.

Don't see what he would have contributed tbh.

Defence taking ages to move the ball and midfield being entirely static, losing the ball continually means his involvement would have been as limited as every other attacking player.

He isn’t good enough, but Colak getting 180 mins over the last two games suggest Gio is going to be Stubborn until Alfredo is fit

Amazing that a team that relies on a strikers movement and physicality starts and finishes the last two games with a striker that doesn’t move and was brushed off the ball by a livi player on Saturday who would have ended up in the stand if he went shoulder to shoulder with Morelos.

Colak might get the odd goal, Ala itten, vs some of the jobbers, but he is nowhere near the level we require or anywhere near the type of striker we need, we would need to change our whole system and way of playing to accommodate his lack of movement.

For anyone that doesn't think he's good enough and doesn't have a future with us, we better hope we get a few quid because I'm not sure where we're going to find a bit part forward that will give us 19 goal contributions mostly off the bench on a free transfer.

Clearly not in Gio's plans! Would have been a far better option than some that were brought off the bench IMO
I'm not his biggest fan but I think he should have been chucked on in at least one of the last two games. A half-fit Matondo starting last night ahead of him tells the whole story.

Sakala isnt very good at sideways and backward passes. He prefers running at defenders and trying to make things happen. A bit like a "headless chicken" with pace and goals. He'll never fit in to our system.

Through the middle for me on Saturday. At least he'll work hard. Maybe even stop our pathetic build up of pass, touch, pass, touch, pass, touch, move it wide then slam it into the box.

Movement up top over the last two matches has been abysmal.

Sakala isnt very good at sideways and backward passes. He prefers running at defenders and trying to make things happen. A bit like a "headless chicken" with pace and goals. He'll never fit in to our system.

Would say its more to do with defensive side of the game is where the issue is and it's why Gio doesn't trust him for games like last night. I am surprised he never came on but as others have said he wouldn't have got in the game with our slow tempo so would have been a waste of time. He takes a bit of slack on here which is unmerited he's certainly not the finished article but he is capable of getting a goal when it's needed.

I think he’s been VERY harshly treated. He’s not the most cultured, but he was exactly what we needed tonight. We were so static and happy to play in front of a wall. I think Sakala as a left sided striker would definitely add goals to our attack. His stats show that.
Very good point

Sakala obviously frustrates the manager and some of his teammates as they can be seen moaning at him on the pitch

If he can’t get any game time it’s a clear sign the manager doesn’t rate or trust him so his time at us looks up IMO

His recent interview said he doesn’t want to leave so he may sit tight and hope he gets a chance

I think he plays well off the left wing even though he thinks he isn’t a winger but Colak is first pick whilst Alfie is recovering and not match fit

He isn’t good enough, but Colak getting 180 mins over the last two games suggest Gio is going to be Stubborn until Alfredo is fit

Amazing that a team that relies on a strikers movement and physicality starts and finishes the last two games with a striker that doesn’t move and was brushed off the ball by a livi player on Saturday who would have ended up in the stand if he went shoulder to shoulder with Morelos.

Colak might get the odd goal, Ala itten, vs some of the jobbers, but he is nowhere near the level we require or anywhere near the type of striker we need, we would need to change our whole system and way of playing to accommodate his lack of movement.

This in a nutshell.

I understand the difficult nature of Ross Wilson’s job and finding another Alfredo type player within hour budget is impossible but at the very least, given how we play as a team, we should at least expect our back up Centre forward to at least offer more movement than a traffic cone and have some similar attributes to how Morelos plays.

Sakala should have replaced Matondo or came on instead of Lawrence, both are not at it yet and are needing more game time in less meaningful easier games in the league.

Honestly, there's no way Sakala is turning that game last night around on his own, but I'm very surprised he never got on.

I'm really not sure about Lawrence yet, early days yet but I think the guy has little to zero movement, which we were crying out for last night.

It's clear Gio doesn't like him, but for me, until Colak and co are scoring as much as Sakala, I see Fashion as the better option tbh. He's a headless chicken of a man but he will grab goals, something we're lacking at the moment.

The only wide player clearly better than him is Kent.

I think he would match if not better Matondo/Wright for goals and assists if they were both to play the max amount of games possible.

Whether his general play and consistency in Europe would be the same is a different point though.

I can see him being moved on before the end of the window. Maybe he wasn't stripped for non football reasons

i'm not a sakala fan but i would have put him on last night
we needed people to drive at that defence
wright did change things but to no effect

I wanted Sakala and Arfield on last night, we were crying for a spark in the final third and both thise lads would have given us more than what we were served up last night.

Still furious with that performance last night from players and management team, Malmo was bad but that last night was worse, Tav and Goldson need to start booting balls in that squad ( starting with each other) and every single player needs told what is expected from now on and Gio needs to realise that we are an attacking minded team and to actually try and set up to win games rather than not lose them but after that last night i am not in the least bit confident of a change of attitude or tactics anytime soon.

I hope they prove me wrong

I don't think in place of Colak he would have made any difference, he showed last season in Europe he just cannot play a central striker role with his back to goal.

However, on the left with Tillman moved to a central role behind Colak and Jack dropping out? That would absolutely have been a different game.

Matondo was singled out for special attention because they knew we had no outlet on the left, having a similarly pacey player on that side would have given him more space too.

Would have offered more than any of our attacking players tonight other than maybe Tillman

GVB clearly doesn’t rate him but not sure what he thinks Colak is bringing to the team
Sakala is simply a better player than Colak.
More mobile and able to give defences more problems.
If we make a snap judgement on what we have seen so far.

He’s not a world beater but 12 and 7 last season and he causes teams issues. I personally wouldn’t mind to see more of his directness in the next few games.

In isolation he isn’t good enough up front in the central striker role, or the wide roles.

In reality - he would at least have offered something different within the match last night. I was wanting to see him from halftime onwards last night but wasn’t to be.

I trust the manager but last night was a big test. Next week will be a big test of everyone’s. I’ll tell you what though, I wouldn’t have fancied being a Rangers player going back into that dressing room last night.

Gio making it very clear Sakala is not part of hes plans. Thats Colak's 3rd 90 minutes in a row

He isnt good enough to be honest and would be best for everyone if he was moved on and replaced

Would have offered more than any of our attacking players tonight other than maybe Tillman

GVB clearly doesn’t rate him but not sure what he thinks Colak is bringing to the team
If Gio had started him instead of any of our forwards today, there’d have been meltdown on here.
Especially if it hadn’t worked out.
With the benefit of hindsight though, it’s obvious he should have started.
So should Lawrence.
Then again, the one certainty is that unless it works, meltdown will follow.

I’m extremely concerned at the fact it looks like Sakala is being forced out.

He’d have contributed last night and the fact he wasn’t even brought on as a substitute with the front 3 toiling tells us all we need to know.

Won’t be a popular opinion and I’m not basing it as a knee jerk to last night but I’m not convinced that GVB is a good fit for us.

Back