Mark Hateley says Colak was a waste of time

Our attacking midfield players are unfortunately brand new to the team and looked clueless and easily beaten. Tillman and Matondo were very poor. This left our DMs to basically pass it about between themselves. No one took responsibility to try and open things up and therefore Colak got nothing and ran about like a headless chicken. It was a bad bad night for us. We need to find the answers but I'm worried that we are not going to see the best of our new signings for weeks as it will take them ages to settle in, remember how long it took for Lundstram to find his way.

Not convinced that simply demanding the ball would have had any impact on our midfield last night. Looked to me like they only knew how to go sideways and backwards last night.

Maybe Hateley should remember the time it took him to settle at Ibrox.

Colak will be a decent back-up. He should have scored last night, though, and put a great ball across the 6-yard box.

He should also be 1 goal in one league game.
Hateley had a career pedigree. So there was always the likelihood that he would succeed.

Colak doesn't have that. Quite the opposite in fact.

It was a lazy and poorly thought out signing from Wilson. And not for the first time!

Can't say that I disagree.Add the rest of the team and the tactics and formation chosen by the manager though.Jack and Barassic in particular were disgraceful.
A complacent team that crumbled in the face of a determined opposition that had done its homework.

Was Hateley not rotten at the beginning of his Ibrox career?

Colak is an easy target but he had had no service at all in the last 2 games. The 1 cross he got he scored vs Livi

Good to see our ex players helping with player confidence.
That’s why he’s went to not so good ol’ Auntie.

They knew he potentially had a beef, is a bit too forthright for his own good at times and gave him a hire.

There’s no happy accident that the vast majority of BBC ex-Rangers reps have questionable relationships with the club and fans.

For by that, he has a point about Čolak’s lack of involvement in my book.

He was supplied with a great cross against livi and put it away. Last night he was supplied with nothing. Need to give the guy a chance. The team were honking not just him

Goal scorers need service
See Kris Boyd as an examp!e ,he didn't drop deep and run around all over the place.
from what I've seen of colak ,the jury is still out for me and I think it's too early to write him off.

Don't think it's fair to compare him to Alfie. He's not here to replace Alfie.

He's here to replace defoe. A guy that won't contribute much, but get the ball to his feet and he should score

On current evidence it’s hard to disagree

He deserves more time to get used to our way of playing but I can’t help but think we’ve literally replaced a younger Swiss international who is suited to playing with a partner, with an older Croatian international who is suited to playing with a partner

All whilst we play a system that requires a lone striker.

Has it been another lazy signing? Time will tell.
Hopefully he'll have a partner real soon and there in just might be the alternative solution to our tactical game.

Trying to stay positive loyal.

Bir harsh that. You can't blame the new guy. I remember all the hate Morelos used to get when he signed

Colak will be a decent back-up. He should have scored last night, though, and put a great ball across the 6-yard box.

If he had a goal and assist in the last two games it would simply be papering over the cracks. He literally brings nothing to our team in the build up.

Defoe even at 37-38 was better than him.

"Nowhere near any of them" - you mean apart from the one that he scored from which was wrongly disallowed?

You've got two wide guys who hardly dropped into that space at all. It took Lawrence to come on before someone decided to start doing it. We operated with a huge gap from Jack and Kamara to Colak so, what, Colak should drop in there and Jack will run in behind him? The whole setup was wrong and blaming the lone striker for not receiving the ball enough is way down the list.
"Nowhere near any of them" - you mean apart from the one that he scored from which was wrongly disallowed?

You've got two wide guys who hardly dropped into that space at all. It took Lawrence to come on before someone decided to start doing it. We operated with a huge gap from Jack and Kamara to Colak so, what, Colak should drop in there and Jack will run in behind him? The whole setup was wrong and blaming the lone striker for not receiving the ball enough is way down the list.
How about you read my post? Did I not say first half? His disallowed goal was in the second half. Think that was one of his only touches of the full game anyway. Who’s blaming the lone striker? It’s a thread about Colak not the full team hence the comments with regards to said player. There were far worse performances last night from other players agreed. Don’t even know if you can say much about Colaks performance as he basically played like he did at Livi. Completely anonymous. Hard to make basic errors like a lot of the other players did, if you don’t even get involved in the game.

He's a CF who needs service so without that he will look anonymous.

Still not sure about him as we won't be able to press high with him in the team.

On the rare chances he’s been given, he’s shown himself to be a very good finisher. Granted some haven’t stood but Blackpool (offside), Spurs (goal) and Livingston (offside) have all been very tidy finishes. He also actually works the back line well. Last night he didn’t but on Saturday I made a point from the stands of watching him and his movement was actually very good but on at least 3 occasions in the second half, we didn’t pick up on it. Kamara was the guilty party twice and instead of playing him in, he went to his old comfort blanket of working it out wide.

Further more, ive heard he is doing very well in training and his finishing is exceptional. I find it really bemusing he’s being made the whipping boy here when he’s getting next to nothing in service and the boss wants to play 3 defensive midfielders for nearly 70 mins last night.

Perhaps it should be the manager and the players behind him getting the grief here.

Who knows, maybe last night he was told to stay central and not to go looking for things until the ball was in and around the box? There’s a thought.

It's bullshit making it about Colak, and ridiculous comparing him to Alfie. The guy's played two competitive games and last night received zero service with one exception. The mistake was Gio's, expecting three completely new players to form a coherent attack and link up with a defensive-minded midfield trio. There was a complete disconnect between midfield and attack and that's why. Matondo was bullied and at points Tillman didn't look interested in competing. It was a collective team failure, but throwing those three together up front was probably never going to work.

Hateley's not wrong to say what he has, but it needs put in perspective. The writer of that story has put all the emphasis on Colak, leading with that as the first sentence, and I assume a HATELEY BLASTS COLAK headline. Wonder why?

I honestly don't know what people are expecting of Colak last night. Demand the ball and then what? He had three defenders on him the full night and absolutely %^*& all support from the midfield, Tillman and Matondo were 30 yards away from him either side. Is he supposed to hold the ball for a minute himself until everyone reaches him?

There was absolutely no creativity in that team, no drive to get forward or intensity. Considering attacks start from the back, the striker is the last person I'll be blaming for that.

How about you read my post? Did I not say first half? His disallowed goal was in the second half. Think that was one of his only touches of the full game anyway. Who’s blaming the lone striker? It’s a thread about Colak not the full team hence the comments with regards to said player. There were far worse performances last night from other players agreed. Don’t even know if you can say much about Colaks performance as he basically played like he did at Livi. Completely anonymous. Hard to make basic errors like a lot of the other players did, if you don’t even get involved in the game.

You didn't say first half. That's hardly my fault. One of the few times last night the ball was played into him in the penalty area, in the second half, he fired a dangerous ball across the goal. Again, where is everyone else, where is the support? Look at the pass map from last night. The ball goes forward about 5 times or something. Colak dropping to the halfway line and joining half the team that's sitting there isn't going to help anyone.

Hateley should know better not to support the media attempting to create a narrative about players which many gullible supporters then buy into and try and pass off as their own opinion.

For me the jury is still out on him. I haven't exactly been impressed but especially last night he got absolutely zero support. What was it, one good cross all game?

Needs time we cannot write every single player off it's just daft.
Every player was below par last night as was the manager unfair just to pick on Colak.

He was supplied with a great cross against livi and put it away. Last night he was supplied with nothing. Need to give the guy a chance. The team were honking not just him
Tillman put a great delivery in for him and he done nothing with it.

I still dont understand why certain players are being singled out, absolutely everyone was shite last night.

Goldson gave the ball right to them on the halfway line and if it wasnt for Mclaughlin it would have been 3-0, game over.

Its a huge boot up the arse for the entire playing and management team & we need a serious response from it.

Pre-seasons over.
This is exactly it. Everyone was terrible last night but some seem to be singling our players. Goldson as you said could have killed the game with his poor pass, Kamara was shocking from the off giving the ball away all the time, even when we were playing well at the start, Tillman faded in the second half (but actually the only player I would give pass marks too), Barisic and Tav couldn’t get any crosses in, Colak played poor, but only really had one ball that was decent service, Sands got caught on the ball a few times. You could go through every player and do the same as everyone played poor last night.

Our attacking midfield players are unfortunately brand new to the team and looked clueless and easily beaten. Tillman and Matondo were very poor. This left our DMs to basically pass it about between themselves. No one took responsibility to try and open things up and therefore Colak got nothing and ran about like a headless chicken. It was a bad bad night for us. We need to find the answers but I'm worried that we are not going to see the best of our new signings for weeks as it will take them ages to settle in, remember how long it took for Lundstram to find his way.
I agree, a good summary alot of what went wrong has to do with what you said but the regular guys let everybody down too.It makes the problems potentially deeper.
In particular the defensive line up had 3 very experienced players in their usual positions and they were awful from first touch to basic passing ability.
Having said that I've got my ticket for the home game and believe its in us.We have the team but we need the right formation and combination of players from the off, not a 70 minute shake up.
And most of all I firmly believe that we will not be as complacent.We got a real shock when we started to discover that they knew our game and that they aren't actually too bad an outfit.

You could see it weeks ago. Some people just don't like to admit what is staring them in the face.

He's rotten. The same way we knew Herrera was rotten after a few games as well. He's not suddenly going to turn into a world beater at 28-29.

He has started 5 games in a row which is more of a run than Cedric Itten ever got for us.
He's put the ball in the net 3 times 2 offside and 1 of those should have stood. I got ripped in Summer for saying I don't know why we're letting Itten go for an older like for like striker. But! He does manage to put the ball away with minimal attempts on goal from the limited time we've seen so far. He's a 3rd striker and it shows.

With key players injured we've no choice but to persevere and maybe that's a good thing a fully fit squad and we'd have Matondo, Čolak written off and want to be sold already.

Mind blown that Sakala didn't get thrown on when he played in Belgium and had a 1 in 3 goal record over 3 Seasons.

Not convinced that simply demanding the ball would have had any impact on our midfield last night. Looked to me like they only knew how to go sideways and backwards last night.
Exactly as 1st 45mins against Livi.Dreadful tactics dreadful to watch.

Find it funny that because an ex player didn’t exactly have the best start to his Rangers career he shouldn’t be allowed to express an opinion yet the 90+% of us on here who’ve done absolutely zilch in the game are allowed to pass judgement as we please :D

If Colak’s going to go hiding in his shell because an ex player has criticised him in the press then he shouldn’t be at a Club the size of ours. He’s not a child.

I still dont understand why certain players are being singled out, absolutely everyone was shite last night.

Goldson gave the ball right to them on the halfway line and if it wasnt for Mclaughlin it would have been 3-0, game over.

Its a huge boot up the arse for the entire playing and management team & we need a serious response from it.

Pre-seasons over.
It looks like we're still in pre season mode and we really need to step it up. These players will need time to get to know how we play and I'm sure they'll come good. Hopefully sooner rather than later

Correct on all three points.

Many people forget just how poorly Hateley's first games for us were greeted by Rangers fans.

The header chance aside, we could been playing with the best striker in the world in there and you'd never have known it because we did nothing to support Colak, and very little to try and get the ball to him.

He had one chance he should’ve done a lot better when he missed the header from a terrific ball from Tillman.

He played a great ball across the face.

Other than that there wasn’t much to say. He needs to come and get involved to at least get touches. The difficulty being we were allowed to carry the ball so far up the pitch it didn’t leave him much space.

He has to get more involved though. No way writing him off as a Herrera or Itten after this amount of games. Hateley would do well to remember his own introduction to Ibrox.

Back