Some vintage Ian Ferguson

I always felt a bit sorry for him because he changed his game from being this goal-scoring aggressive midfielder to being much more of a ball-winning enforcer type of player.

Hit badly by injuries but a talented footballer, good professional and great team player as well.

And yes.. look what happens when you get the ball to someone who has a decent shot on them from the edge of the area.

Remember him stamping on the green balloons at the dump, he did it with his usual vigour. Also v Leeds, he tried a tried and tried to hunt down wee Strachan. The wee creep kept away from him.

Stayed literally a stones throw away from where I live, coincidentally said house was bought by my football coach after Fergie. Great player.

His DVD is superb.

I really liked him as a player, I think he was brought up in either Parkhead or Barrowfield in Glasgow, during his spell with Rangers we was warned a few times regarding his old pals from the East End of Glasgow and to keep his distance or they would ruin his career.

My memory of Fergie is that he got a bit of a hard time from the support and was a bit of a target at times.

Is that correct in any way in the period say from signing up until 95?

I was young(9-13 in that early period with us) and perhaps influenced by those that sat around me.

I personally loved him since he signed my Rangers News in Coias but that was always my thought when younger.

My memory of Fergie is that he got a bit of a hard time from the support and was a bit of a target at times.

I was young(9-13 in that early period with us) and perhaps influenced by those that sat around me.

I personally loved him since he signed my Rangers News in Coias but that was always my thought when younger.
He gave out the player of the year , top goalscorer awards when I was a kid one year.

Doubt players still do things like that these days but what a buzz it was as a daft young Rangers fan.

I started to go to a lot of home and away games during the 9 and attempted 10 in a row years, and i was surprised how much abuse he got from our fans when he came on. He seemed to have fallen out of favour at that point. Was some player though. i was at hampden for that goal against aberdeen in the cup final. spectacular

I love the fact Advocaat wanted to keep him around when he could have easily have followed most of the 9iar team and left.

And it wasn't some sort of sympathy gesture, he seen him as Integral part of what would be a transitioning dressing room.

Never let us down when called upon.

Fergie laying down the law after the 5-1 game in that season to both the manager and the squad.

Him and the new guys got it once Fergie drummed it into them

Advocaat putting him on the bench for the Scottish Cup final after 5 months out said it all. He genuinely respected him.

A very good player. There were times when the support were losing patience with him, I think that was frustration because we all knew how good he could be on his day. He had a lot of injuries if I remember.

I remember an interview on telly just before he signed where he said, “I just want to play for Rangers“. That was me sold.

I think he deserves his place as a great Ranger in the history of the club.

One of my pals switched team when he signed for us, I still have the odd playful swipe at him because of that. To be fair we were only 13/14.

What a terrific player. Had more about him than he was maybe given credit for. One that you would always count in to give 100% and make sure everyone around him done the same. Current players should be using him as an example.
Going to a tribute night for him in Falkirk in October. Looking forward to it.

Hugely underrated, he was a bit of a whipping boy for a spell, due to the fact he was playing well below par, I think the problem was something to do with his tonsils, he was lethargic after 30 mins every other game, when that was resolved he went on to become a legend, an absolute class act in the middle of the park and he won 10 league titles with us, which was astonishing.

He was a proper blue nose too, hated those bastards with a passion and loved everything about our club, saw him give it laldy at many supporters club dances which was brilliant to see.

One of our own. Loved him, played for the shirt 100%. Crying out for someone of his ilk now.
rbnojG6.gif

He told me recently that he was injured and took his dad to the match.

Guy in front was shouting and bawling ‘that’s shite Fergie, hopeless’ etc etc

After a while Fergies dad tapped the guy on the shoulder and asked ‘who are you shouting at mate?’

‘Ian Ferguson, he’s not kicked a ball all match’ was the reply

Fergies dad pointed to him and said ‘what, this Ian Ferguson?’

B-)

Back