Kevin Thomson on Open Goal

Thomson is a good guy but I think he knows he has to be his own walking, talking PR too.

Naturally that will irk some people but Gerrard was like that too, indeed most people at the top or wanting to make it to the top are like that.

Will I think he will be a future Rangers manager? No.

Will carve out a good career on the after-dinner circuit and doing the punditry IMO.

Fantastic player, was a real favourite on mine.

I watched the first 10 minutes.

He effectively said he wasn't backed and that's why he left, do Kelty not have a huge budget?

He also mentioned that QoS & Queens Park were spending big momey.

It came across like he didn't fancy the challenge to be honest

Not a fan of his commentary when he’s on Rangers TV but other than that I have nothing but respect for the man. Both as a player and as a pundit.

Bit like my Mrs. Switch off almost immediately when she comes in from work and starts telling me about her day but I still absolutely love her.

I struggle to understand why so many are not a huge fan of him. I always thought he wired in and tried his best, and always speaks well of us. I know some don't like him as a co-commentator. But that's different from pulling the jersey on and speaking well of the club and fans.

Just my thoughts, :)

I'm a big fan. Loved him as a player and he's another one that wasn't a Rangers fan, but became a big one. That'll do for me.

Some of our fans are weird with ex players.

I struggle to understand why so many are not a huge fan of him. I always thought he wired in and tried his best, and always speaks well of us. I know some don't like him as a co-commentator. But that's different from pulling the jersey on and speaking well of the club and fans.

Just my thoughts, :)
Yeah, agree with this. I'm one of those who doesn't like him commentating - more to do with his accent than anything else if I'm honest - but can't understand why any Rangers supporter would actually (or "actual" as he would say) dislike the guy.

A fantastic player for us. The best player in the league before his injury. He loves Rangers, constantly praises the Club and support and defended us plenty of times in his media work. Never met him but a gentleman as well by all accounts.

He effectively said he wasn't backed and that's why he left, do Kelty not have a huge budget?

They are building a new stand at their stadium, so that will affect any playing budget, plus they were talking about this season being self sufficient!

He always speaks well of us and I love the constant references to 'we' and 'us'.

However, the defence of his scummy pal after that disgrace at Pittodrie after the winter break means there's a line been crossed that for me will always leave a bitter taste.

Thomson got what being a Ranger was all about, often recites the lessons he was taught by Walter Smith

Knowledgeable about the game too

Quite a big jump from league 2 to League 1, Dunfermline and Falkirk in there too, maybe just felt there would be no way to compete. Actually presumed he’d have had something else lined up when he left though

I never really rated him as a Rangers player-he was showing signs of real development and progress and then he did his knee at Kilmarnock.

The kind of blood and thunder player that appeals to a section of our support but he didn't have the football brain to match the hardness. Had a few big stage nightmares including losing his man at the UEFA final's opening goal and his crazy tackling versus the super power that is St Mirren in a cup final putting his team mates in a very bad position.

No surprise Walter got rid of just after and spare me the fire sale talk -there were other players that could have been sold.

Appeals to a decent section of the support but also does my head in as a pundit. The same section of FF that had Pena down as a player are often stating he is a future Rangers manager.

Did I mention the Lego Eater is his mate?

Always liked KT at Rangers but he's become a parody of himself. Seems to think he's a pioneer of modern day coaching.

Likes the sound of his own voice too much.

Also don't like how he tarts himself out to every vacant position in Scotland above his league. Very unprofessional

Find it odd how he jumped after one successful season particularly with no job to go to. Ferguson did the same thing to jump into a dead end job so something not right at Kelty I think. Needs to get a new job quickly or will struggle to get back in the game. With each passing week his options become fewer and he could end up taking a hopeless position
Hard to judge how good he may or may not be but I look around SPL and it's not obvious to me why some of the managers are likely to be any better
Wish him well and hope he can find something decent

They have had a bad start to div1 lost the first two games against sides they would expect to beat Edinburgh and alloa

He was interviewed for the Killie job last season. Apparently came across very well but came up against a very strong candidate in McInnes.

He knows his stuff and is very well respected in the Scottish game. He’s in with a shout if a decent job at championship or even lower SPL level within next 6 months I’d bet.

Always liked KT, was disapointed when we sold him to Boro but looking back and knowing how injury prone he was it was the right call.

Would love a KT in his prime in the side just now, great player.

Hope he has a good management career.

That patter about the weather changing after Harthill services is pish, he needs some new material. Jumping to the defence of his pal “Broony” didn’t endear him to me either.
He’s not wrong though, after Harthill services the weather usually starts snowing at the Kirk Of Shotts :))

I’ll never dislike the guy for giving me one the most glorious and joyful moments in all my years of supporting Rangers.

That patter about the weather changing after Harthill services is pish, he needs some new material. Jumping to the defence of his pal “Broony” didn’t endear him to me either.
His reference that Harthill will be the only place left on earth unaffected by climate change was quite funny tbf. I like KT.

Wonder if they’ve done same as Cove and not really went for it this year, maybe a year or just cementing a place in the division then go next year.
As somebody said it’s a tough league when you look at teams that are in it.falkirk,Dunfermline,airdrie and some decent sides like montrose who have been in the play offs the last two seasons.

"Footie and the Hibees".
Not a fan of him as co commentator but really pissed me off when he came out and stuck up for his "mate" Broonie after that disgraceful episode at Pittodrie. Mate or not he sided publicly with a sworn enemy who got one over on us, unforgivable in my eyes.

Liked him as a player but always felt he came close to reaching that next level & never quite got there (partly due to injuries).

Not a fan of him on commentary. I can't quite put my finger on it but I find him annoying. Never strikes me as the brightest but think his heart is in the right place

It wouldn’t be an ex player thread on FF without some bitterness involved. Doesn’t matter if it’s Kris Boyd, Ally McCoist, Barry Ferguson or Kevin Thomson some will find a reason to be unkind to guys who wear their hearts on their sleeves at every opportunity they get in the media these days.

Strange, but whatever float your boat I guess.

Kevin needs to do more managing and less talking now. He has some brilliant ideas on the training field and that's where he should be.

Loved him as a player.

Back