27 years ago tonight

Both legs were crap.

We qualified then the group stage ticket prices meant relatively low crowds.

It was Gazza's competitive debut so still a lot of excitement surrounded seeing him in action. A genuine superstar.

Home game was the first leg of the tie and 1-0 was a bit of a slender lead considering some of our away performances in Europe in the previous seasons.

Group stages were a shitshow. Went on to finish bottom of the group with no wins. Juventus absolutely battered us home and away, complete doings.

Remember both legs well. Away leg was boiling. After our heroics a few years before in 1992/3 we had a couple of stinking years and desperately needed to get through.

Dire tie from what I remember.

The next time we played them, Ketsbaia was their coach.

Kyle Lafferty was with them for a bit last season.

They haven't been able to play in Famagusta since the 1970s due to the island being divided.

The relief when Jukebox got the goal. Thats about all. 3rd time trying to qualify since the near run to the final, we’ve drawn an ideal opponent.

The heat in the away leg was something else.

I'd got Ă  t-shirt printed at the wee shop at the foot of the stairs at Kelvinbridge with the Champions League stars on it, in anticipation of us getting a result.

I was chuffed as feck to wear it the following day.

Needless to say, I haven't bothered this time, though I'll hopefully be buying a paper tomorrow.

Last edited:
Anyone else have memories of this game?

What sticks out for me was how we struggled to break them down. Usual turgid european game at start of the season.

Also was very warm that evening too.

I was at this game, i am sure it was gazza,s first competative game for us

Remember both legs well. Away leg was boiling. After our heroics a few years before in 1992/3 we had a couple of stinking years and desperately needed to get through.
It wasn’t half boiling. I remember at half time going down to see if I could pee and I couldn’t but my balls felt red hot and sweaty as Fck.

Home for a cool shower and rattled some Johnson’s baby powder on them.

I was flying up from London during the away leg and at that time everything electric/electronic had to be switched off. I ended up with a wee radio in my inside jacket pocket with the earpiece down my sleeve and I sat with my hand against my ear hiding the earpiece listening to the game trying not to get too excited.

I had just finished basic Royal Navy training at HMS Raleigh and was home on leave. A couple of lads in course with me came up for a few days on the piss and I got tickets for us.

From memory it was more difficult than it should have been but as others have said, seems to be a trait of ours.

Dire tie from what I remember.

The next time we played them, Ketsbaia was their coach.

Kyle Lafferty was with them for a bit last season.

They haven't been able to play in Famagusta since the 1970s due to the island being divided.
Vaguely remember a Rangers fan with a 'free Famagusta' flag at the away game.

Reactions: TNT
Yip.
30,000 for Bucharest
33,000 for Dortmund
41,000 for Juventus.

Murray at his greedy best/worst.

That was also the season those who finally got to the front of the season ticket waiting list were told to pony up another 400 quid on top and if they didnt/couldnt the ticket would go to someone behind them in the queue who could pay it.

Back