Sands tonight

The lads still young and learning. If you’re criticising sloppy passes then Goldson beat him in that department.
I wasn’t trying to be overly critical just how I seen his performance tonight. Certainly not writing the kid off, like I said some of the things he done tonight where excellent.

If you’d rather have Sands than Balogun at centre back, may I recommend Soecsavers.
I think the manager is of the same opinion as me - maybe you were one of the ejits wanting him sacked last week?
He makes too many mistakes to be a centre back and gives the ball away far too often.

There is no way we should be playing vital CL qualifiers with James Sands at centre back.
Twice in a game - f'n clueless!

Nah not for me, you can't be passing it to the opposition repeatedly and claim to have had a great game.

On another night he costs us the tie.

He goes from doing something really difficult really well to doing something really easy really badly. His passing at times tonight for a guy who's supposed to be comfortable playing a deep lying playmaker was truly awful but then he made some great tackles for a guy who's not naturally a centre half

Against any other team we are punished. Some good tackles but at this standard if we are to get through to the group stages, he’s not good enough imo

We shouldn’t be experimenting with midfielders in defence in big games.

He had several potentially very costly passes.

Leon Balogun was sitting about 5 rows in front of me in the main stand tonight.

He should have been playing alongside Goldson, not Sands.
He is done as a footballer otherwise someone would have picked him up, there is a reason he was sitting in the stand.

I think he's improving. Gio must see something in him as he's become something of a regular. Some sloppy passing tonight that might have cost us. But Goldson was a bigger culprit in that department. The tackle which almost saw him sent off was very well timed. Time will tell of course.

He has what looks like a permanent rabbit in the headlights look coming from his eyeballs.

He should be nowhere near starting in a Rangers back 4, and if he is to continue as part of the squad then I can make my peace with him coming on in big games late on somewhere in the middle as a spoiler. We have seen him do it effectively before.

He is a fukin bombscare and that is being kind.
I disagree and it would seem he splits opinion going by the posts on here and chats I have had at games etc.

He is young and has plenty time to develop.

Not a fan. Put us under severe pressure on several occasions due to misplaced passes, in fact he played the exact same short pass twice, both times it was intercepted, that's unacceptable. To be fair big goldson wasn't much better. Big improvement at the back required or we won't make the group stages.

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
He came onto a game. Some of his passing was sloppy but then again some of the passing from his teammates was equally as bad. The fact he could have been red carded (wrongly) because of a diabolical pass from his goalkeeper, sums that side of our game up at times tonight.

He certainly looked a different player altogether in that last 25-30 minutes.

Let’s be honest every player made mistakes tonight, done more good than bad but is one of the players that splits opinion.

Would get Davies in there (to build up fitness) at the weekend with a view of him being his replacement for the play off games.

His poor passes were bookended by poor passes from others. Seem some want any excuse to dislike him.
That's my view aswell.

Took a Yellow for Kents bad pass back and the pressure to win that one from Tavs slack pass and Mclaughlin was huge while on a Yellow.

Got them spot on with force aswell.

Defended superbly but passing not great but who did pass the ball well tonight?

Last edited:
Sands was part of the team which helped us overcome a 2-0 deficit in Europe for the first time I think. Better defenders than him have failed to do that. I thought he had a decent game, we have to remember that he's still fairly young, especially for a CB.

What sort of logic is that?

Every player in the team is good because we won a game against a pretty poor team?

A few excellent tackles and passes but a few absolute nightmare passes, saying that Tav and Lundstram had those too. Needs game time and experience but lucky to get away with a few tonight.

I think the manager is of the same opinion as me - maybe you were one of the ejits wanting him sacked last week?

He had more than two dodgy passes that landed us in trouble. He also dived into tackles which very easily could have landed him in trouble. We cannot be experimenting in games likes this. Far too important.

Are you his agent or something?

If we dont win hes the escaped goat. But because we won hes given a pass. He didnt hide after making multiple errors. He stood up. I like that.

Nearly put us in trouble a few times through really slack passing … but had some really crucial interceptions

The phrase mixed bag comes to mind

The manager who chose Balogun over Sands the entirety of last season?

Gio doesn't want to play Sands. He would rather play Souttar, Helander or Davies but for various reasons he can't.

If Balogun was in our squad tonight he would have started, but hopefully in a few weeks we have 3 more central defenders we can pick from.

This lad has immense potential. Yes, couple of slack passes (not alone in that). Saved our bacon more than once. No one gave perfection tonight, so the expectation from some that he should be perfect is ridiculous.

OK I'll break it down sweetie..

Your not sold on him at all (your words). Why's that?
Is this the bad pass that has made your mind up on him?
Nah I’m not, I think he’s miles off it

The team we knocked out, in reality, weren’t a great side and yet he looked a mile out his depth in the first leg, and was giving up the ball in key areas tonight

That coupled with his general performance level last season means I’m seeing little to invest in

I watch us though, I don’t just tediously come on here to get angry at people who say sh*t I don’t like…

Some good , some bad but the bad was really bad. Giving the ball away while not under pressure is criminal at any level never mind CL.

Nah not for me, you can't be passing it to the opposition repeatedly and claim to have had a great game.

On another night he costs us the tie.
Goldson did it more and didn't actually make any goal saving tackles...

Goldson couldnt pass the ball or clear it more than 10 yards but Sands gets the criticism? Strange really.

I thought he was poor tonight. On another night his mistakes are punished and we concede goals. The further into the tournament we go, the more likely that is.

Nah I’m not, I think he’s miles off it

The team we knocked out, in reality, weren’t a great side and yet he looked a mile out his depth in the first leg, and was giving up the ball in key areas tonight

That coupled with his general performance level last season means I’m seeing little to invest in

I watch us though, I don’t just tediously come on here to get angry at people who say sh*t I don’t like…
In all of that rant all you've actually said is he gives the ball up easily..

Absolutely no substance whatsoever lol.

I thought he was a total bombscare, really dreadful performance.

If he plays centre half against PSV I will be astonished, in fact if he features against PSV at all I will be surprised

We shouldn’t be experimenting with midfielders in defence in big games.

He had several potentially very costly passes.

Leon Balogun was sitting about 5 rows in front of me in the main stand tonight.

He should have been playing alongside Goldson, not Sands.
Tonight we kept a clean sheet. This time last year Balogun cost us against Malmo at Ibrox. I say that as a fan of his.

Defensively solid, half his team mates tried to get him sent off with horrendous passes.

He’s going to pick up a lot of yellows because he’s not afraid of making a tackle.

I thought he had a cracking game tonight, but in a few group chats half saying he was great and the other half saying he was poor, so thought I'd ask for opinions on here, no doubt it'll be 50/50 going by what folk have been saying already.
Listened in the radio and I have to say it seemed like his name was mostly mentioned in a negative way.

He did a lot of excellent things and a number of poor. It’s what you would expect.

Unfortunately there are some simply unwilling to give a player the chance to develop.

He’ll become better with experience. He obviously has a number of attributes.

Back