Leon Balogun

Wee Dick's Hairnet

Official Ticketer
Has it been confirmed that he was in Ibrox for the game last night? Seen a few posters saying they seen him but nothing official.

I think it’s absolutely mental that we have resorted to playing a midfielder in defence when this guy is a free agent and still clearly living in Scotland. I imagine he’s using our facilities to remain fit?

I really like the big guy and think he‘s more than worthy of a short term deal considering we have considerable injuries in that area. Surely he can’t cost that much for another year?

Has it been confirmed that he was in Ibrox for the game last night? Seen a few posters saying they seen him but nothing official.

I think it’s absolutely mental that we have resorted to playing a midfielder in defence when this guy is a free agent and still clearly living in Scotland. I imagine he’s using our facilities to remain fit?

I really like the big guy and think he‘s more than worthy of a short term deal considering we have considerable injuries in that area. Surely he can’t cost that much for another year?
I wish we would offer him a deal and I'm surprised we let him go, especially with Bassey away it would make us much more solid, I know he's prone to the odd mishap but generally he's been solid for us.

It really isn't. Sands has played CB numerous times in his career.

Maybe if you do a tad bit more research on things then everything wont seem as 'absolutely mental' to you.

I would be more than happy to have Leon for another year, but it would look pretty daft on Gio to release him then resign him a few months later imo. Him turning up at our games just gives me deja vu to when Novo kept turning up at our televised games when we were in the lower leagues. Like finding out where your ex has been going for a drink then turning up and standing across the bar trying to get their attention :D

I dont see why we couldn't offer him a short term deal on very little money, he surely would rather that than not playing.

As a free agent he is probably waiting to the end of the window to choose his best option, as he must have had deals on offer.

I’d be more comfortable with Balogun in the squad than Davies. Davies signing doesn’t fill me with confidence for the fee involved.

Harsh because he hasn’t played? Absolutely

"Doesn't fill me with confidence even though he hasn't played".

Make it make sense.

I’d be more comfortable with Balogun in the squad than Davies. Davies signing doesn’t fill me with confidence for the fee involved.

Only possible issue with Davies is that domestically he might be quite small against some of the hammer throwers we face.

I think the main issue with Balogun was his fitness. Always liked him as an option though, especially having pace at the back.

It really isn't. Sands has played CB numerous times in his career.

Maybe if you do a tad bit more research on things then everything wont seem as 'absolutely mental' to you.

I’m well aware he’s played CB before, however, he gave the ball away on at least 3 occasions that should have lead to them scoring. I don’t mind him as a player but the jury’s out on him at CB.

Do people forget why last season we finished with Goldson and Bassey as our centre back pairing?

Do we actually need him? If we bring him back then it just pushes Leon King further down the pecking order for example. When Davies is fully fit you would expect it will be him beside Goldson then still got Souttar to come back as well. He done well with us but time to move on from him.

He should have been kept

On what we know of our defender choices right now, IMO only Goldson is a better option than Balogun

Souttar even at Hearts, I’m not convinced is a better option than Balogun

Davies we’ve barely seen.

Helander can’t be classed as a genuine option

he wanted a 2 year deal, we offered him a year. he chose not to accept it. With his injurys meaning he’s not always available it was the right decision for us

He can also play right back if tav gets an injury.He is more composed at centre half than sands.Give him the wage that jack simpson was on.

Point still stands. Balogun is not as good as Bassey but he’s more assured than anyone currently available to us. Hopefully Davies changes that.

That’s your perception based on the limited game time we have seen of Sands/Souttar/Davies.

I think it was the right call to let Balogun go due to how injury prone he was. We needed a settled consistent cb pairing which Goldson and Bassey provided.

I too haven’t seen enough from the replacements to fill me with confidence, so I can understand why the thought of Balogun a the back is more comforting at the moment. I’m hoping Davies can get up to speed soon and we can get a settled partnership at the back.

Yeah, but you don't even have any idea what you're saying, by your own admission.

He’s away somewhere, his mrs posted that it’s be there last time at Ibrox so has something lined up from that. He was aging and injury prone and we brought in a younger replacement on a free in Souttar. No point pining for him

Yeah, but you don't even have any idea what you're saying, by your own admission.
Perhaps not worded very well.

Point I was making is that Balogun on his day is a more than capable CB for our level and I do wonder if retaining him for another year and focusing the fee we spent on Davies elsewhere in the squad would have been more be division.

The red card at Motherwell when we were thin on the ground in defence I know didn’t endear himself to Gio…

That’s your perception based on the limited game time we have seen of Sands/Souttar/Davies.

I think it was the right call to let Balogun go due to how injury prone he was. We needed a settled consistent cb pairing which Goldson and Bassey provided.

I too haven’t seen enough from the replacements to fill me with confidence, so I can understand why the thought of Balogun a the back is more comforting at the moment. I’m hoping Davies can get up to speed soon and we can get a settled partnership at the back.

I said - of what we have available. I‘m thinking of the PSV games.

Souttar is injured and carries a horrendous record for that.

Davies is short of match fitness.

Balogun is tried and tested in our defence, Sands isn’t.

I’m not writing any of these guys off, far from it, I just think Balogun is a safer option for the PSV games.

I’m not writing any of these guys off, far from it, I just think Balogun is a safer option for the PSV games.
I see some posters alluding to Balogun not accepting a 1 year deal, in which case there’s nothing we could have done about that.

There’s also the high possibility he could have been injured again given he needed to be managed and not play every game.

The team we have, credit where it’s due we’ve turned it around and hopefully with each game that passes we gel more and get sharper and more defensively solid.

Perhaps not worded very well.

Point I was making is that Balogun on his day is a more than capable CB for our level and I do wonder if retaining him for another year and focusing the fee we spent on Davies elsewhere in the squad would have been more be division.

The red card at Motherwell when we were thin on the ground in defence I know didn’t endear himself to Gio…
I'd like both of them here. Like you, I'm a fan of Balogun.

I dont see why we couldn't offer him a short term deal on very little money, he surely would rather that than not playing.

As a free agent he is probably waiting to the end of the window to choose his best option, as he must have had deals on offer.
He wanted a two year deal at the time. Rangers said no and had offered a 1 year deal. When that wasn't accepted, they moved on.

We don't need Balogun at the moment with Davies, King and Souttar. Sands has done well but would rather see Davies move up into that left CB slot soon. Much better passer, pretty good closing speed and can handle the physical nature.

I wish we would offer him a deal and I'm surprised we let him go, especially with Bassey away it would make us much more solid, I know he's prone to the odd mishap but generally he's been solid for us.
Why? We have Goldson, Sands, Davies, Soutter and King. Are you David Murray ?

You want to play a guy who hasn't trained or had a pre season against PSV?

Edit: If Davies is short of match fitness, then what the hell would Balogun be!?

Based on you being the one season ticket holder at Preston who didn’t like him? If that’s not you then you are basing it on nothing at all.

I’d have given him another year but it would have been on the basis that he was essentially injury cover.
And on the whole, I’d rather get Sands up to the rigour of playing in that position because Helander spends more time injured than not and we need a longer-term answer.

What I find interesting is that he is another who comes to the club with no history of Rangers and ends up staying around the city and clearly embracing everything about the club.
We all think Rangers is a special club, but we are biased and typically grow up with it… this is a professional footballer who signed later in his career and has taken the club to his heart.

Back