Gerrard since joining Villa

did us a decent service but no way hes making it to the liverpool manager
When Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be in the frame for the job but will definitely increase his chances by doing well with Villa. A good season for Villa is probably a top 10 finish and I think Gerrard will take them to that.

When Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be in the frame for the job but will definitely increase his chances by doing well with Villa. A good season for Villa is probably a top 10 finish and I think Gerrard will take them to that.
yeah perhaps, tbh i hope he proves me wrong and does make it but just don't see it happening

Thats rubbish, its the life he has choosen.
He played all his days in the city he was from mainly, what does he want.
What would happen if he was offered a job in say Holland.
I think he likes the cushy life, Pedro, PLG, Warburton all arrived.
Didnt hear anything about there family.
What about Jose Mourinho , young family at the time.

So you're saying Gerrard shouldn't have left to be nearer his family (if that was indeed his reasoning) purely because you wanted him to stay? What a nonsense point of view.

Whether you think "it's the life he's chosen" or not, it's still his prerogative to move wherever he wants, for whatever reason he wants - regardless of what you think.

For what it's worth though, he's clearly moved for a combination of family, more money, and to manage in a better league (thus getting him closer to his Liverpool ambition).

So you're saying Gerrard shouldn't have left to be nearer his family (if that was indeed his reasoning) purely because you wanted him to stay? What a nonsense point of view.

Whether you think "it's the life he's chosen" or not, it's still his prerogative to move wherever he wants, for whatever reason he wants - regardless of what you think.

For what it's worth though, he's clearly moved for a combination of family, more money, and to manage in a better league (thus getting him closer to his Liverpool ambition).
The way its looking he is further away from his Liverpool ambition.
Who wants a manager in the EPL that has stated he wants to manage another team in the same league.
Can you see the real managers of Klopp or Pep saying that.

Do you really think SG needs more money, he has been earning top dollar for the past 20 years.
If management fails then he s on the telly panels.
Maybe a better league, can he expierence last night with villa, he may never manage a club with european football again.
A bit like aribo , more money but europe is finished for the rest of his career possibly.
Aribo aint good enough to play for the top 6.
Your right SG can do as he wishes, but the family thing is an excuse.
Theres not much in it with travelling time from Villa to Glasgow.

Do you really think SG needs more money, he has been earning top dollar for the past 20 years.
If management fails then he s on the telly panels.
Maybe a better league, can he expierence last night with villa, he may never manage a club with european football again.
A bit like aribo , more money but europe is finished for the rest of his career possibly.
Aribo aint good enough to play for the top 6.
Your right SG can do as he wishes, but the family thing is an excuse.
Theres not much in it with travelling time from Villa to Glasgow.

Context is the important thing here. The fact is that the EPL is where it's at, whether we like it or not. Most players/managers nowadays would rather play/manage in the EPL, on a bigger stage, for more money, against better players/managers - regardless of whether that entails European football, a realistic chance of winning silverware, or not. Sad reality, but reality nonetheless.

Moreover, Gerrard is an A-list individual within football, and A-list individuals tend to prefer mingling with other A-list individuals, rather than the likes of Steve Robinson and Jack Ross.

The difference is that Valencia side were expected to be making CL/Europa league football whereas Villa would be lucky to make the top 10.

When Beale left in the summer though i did have concerns for SG straight away.

I love Steven Gerrard for what he done to my club and it pains me to say this, he'll be away by Christmas and his managerial career will be in tatters. I so hope I'm wrong but can't see it any other way especially with the brains of the outfit Michael Beale leaving.

I'm not following SG at Villa TBH, so not got much opinion on how good or bad he's doing.

However, even if he was doing poorly and found himself out the job this season, I'm not convinced it would signal the end of his management career in the EPL let alone other leagues.

Manys a manager has done the endless club-to-club roundabout down there delivering failure and mediocrity, only to pop up somewhere else a bit later.

SG also has significant pull for clubs as a personality. He has a draw and star factor that will appeal commercially as much as in a footballing sense, so clubs will fancy giving him a shot if they think he's the right fit.

Always struck me as more of a man-manager/leader type than a tactician. Surrounded by the right footballing brains you could see how he galvanised our club and created a long-missing togetherness and determination that culminated in 55.

I'm just not sure how many teams will benefit from that without the actual coaching mind to match in the long-run.

Still think that, despite his relationship with the club, he's never a Liverpool manager in the current age. Klopp to SG would be a massive, massive downgrade with no disrespect to SG. It's just night and day.

I'm not following SG at Villa TBH, so not got much opinion on how good or bad he's doing.

However, even if he was doing poorly and found himself out the job this season, I'm not convinced it would signal the end of his management career in the EPL let alone other leagues.

Manys a manager has done the endless club-to-club roundabout down there delivering failure and mediocrity, only to pop up somewhere else a bit later.

SG also has significant pull for clubs as a personality. He has a draw and star factor that will appeal commercially as much as in a footballing sense, so clubs will fancy giving him a shot if they think he's the right fit.

Always struck me as more of a man-manager/leader type than a tactician. Surrounded by the right footballing brains you could see how he galvanised our club and created a long-missing togetherness and determination that culminated in 55.

I'm just not sure how many teams will benefit from that without the actual coaching mind to match in the long-run.

Still think that, despite his relationship with the club, he's never a Liverpool manager in the current age. Klopp to SG would be a massive, massive downgrade with no disrespect to SG. It's just night and day.

I wonder if Gerrard will want to get on the merry go round of manager jobs. He wanted the Liverpool job and felt that villa was the club to get him there.

When Klopp goes they will be looking at managers a level above Gerrard. Said for a while he is now further away than he was at Ibrox. While we are not on the level of Liverpool, the expectation and pressure will be the same. Managing in the CL could have helped him.

Regarding family, hes made his bed there, how far can he go from the city of Liverpool for a job?

Mostly bad timing for Gerrard. If he was 10 years older and went into management around 2007/08 he would be well in with a shout of being the Liverpool manager after gaining experience elsewhere. Liverpool's choice of manager in those years was never of the proper elite level - Dalglish, Hodgson, Rodgers.

Klopp though has single-handedly taken them to a completely different level and when he goes Liverpool fans should rightly expect a manager at the level of Allegri, Ancelotti, Pep etc. to replace him.

Mostly bad timing for Gerrard. If he was 10 years older and went into management around 2007/08 he would be well in with a shout of being the Liverpool manager after gaining experience elsewhere. Liverpool's choice of manager in those years was never of the proper elite level - Dalglish, Hodgson, Rodgers.

Klopp though has single-handedly taken them to a completely different level and when he goes Liverpool fans should rightly expect a manager at the level of Allegri, Ancelotti, Pep etc. to replace him.
I would agree. Klopp has taken them to a standard and expectation level that SG is nowhere near, he's not even able to show anything yet to suggest he's going to get anywhere near the level they'd look for at any point in his lifetime, so impossible to gauge.

If they were back in their under achieving years, he might have a better prospect - but that's hardly a ringing endorsement either TBF.

I would agree. Klopp has taken them to a standard and expectation level that SG is nowhere near, he's not even able to show anything yet to suggest he's going to get anywhere near the level they'd look for at any point in his lifetime, so impossible to gauge.

If they were back in their under achieving years, he might have a better prospect - but that's hardly a ringing endorsement either TBF.
You do know he lifted a giant of a football club in us off it's knees and took us to a record points total with an undefeated season winning our most important title in our history. When Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be in the frame for the job.

You do know he lifted a giant of a football club in us off it's knees and took us to a record points total with an undefeated season winning our most important title in our history. When Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be in the frame for the job.
For winning the league up here? Don't be silly.

McGinn is one of their best players and the fans like him. Why would they be moving on from him?
Do they....he was getting pelters on their forum at the weekend....but then again we can't speak when you look at FF some weekends :)) Gerrard maybe needs some more time to learn. Hope he has a good mentor who can help him.

Posts from Villa Talk....

Really tried to remain positive but how can I after this result. We’ve been dreadful, why didn’t we start Mings, Buendia, Sanson and pick a different captain?

Gerrard isn’t going to get long, fans already turning on Game 1.

Maybe it's time we just had no expectations with Villa. We're a shambles of a football club given what we spend and aim for and we're actually a small club in today's game and no longer relevant. Sorry to have to say it.

Pitiful performance.

McGinn very poor, Coutinho virtually anonymous. No idea what the attacking plan is.

Could persisting with McGinn and Coutinho regardless be Gerrard's undoing

McGinn is shit. Everyone can see it but Gerrard.

McGinn ducking out the way of that, making a breakaway for them

Etc etc...

I do. I don’t think it changes anything about my opinion

McGinn is one of their best players and the fans like him. Why would they be moving on from him?
I think we get caught up with the hype because he's Scottish. In reality, he's an unorthodox, technically inconsistent midfielder who looks to use his physicality. Villa are in that stage where they are trying to evolve into a more possession-dominant team & McGinn's rashness gets exposed when that happens. Teams & players are also getting comfortable playing against him, meaning they are getting used to his unconventional tricks.

He's not a bad player, but he's better suited to a hard-working underdog side.

I highly doubt Liverpool will turn to Gerrard if the best he manages at Villa is to just make the top 10.

That may just about suffice for the owners this season, but he’s probably going to need to do better than that thereafter if he wants to keep his job down there and a lot better than that if he seriously wants to be considered for the Anfield job.

A huge difference as it was said we couldn't beat Celtic and win our game in hand and I believe we could have which would've put them under extreme pressure.
I didn't say we couldn't beat them. I just don't think we would have beat them twice and not dropped anymore points.

for all the talk of the torbett's being bottlers they haven't done so since 2011 whereas Gerrard's teams never could cope when it was neck and neck past Christmas.

For him it’s a triple win really

I didn't say we couldn't beat them. I just don't think we would have beat them twice and not dropped anymore points.

for all the talk of the torbett's being bottlers they haven't done so since 2011 whereas Gerrard's teams never could cope when it was neck and neck past Christmas.
At the time they hadn't experienced a proper title challenge in their quest for 10iar and with us closing the gap by 6 points I believe they'd have folded under that pressure, our championship season showed how well they could handle the pressure.

I highly doubt Liverpool will turn to Gerrard if the best he manages at Villa is to just make the top 10.

That may just about suffice for the owners this season, but he’s probably going to need to do better than that thereafter if he wants to keep his job down there and a lot better than that if he seriously wants to be considered for the Anfield job.
If Villa's owners are expecting better than a top 10 finish they'll have to spend crazy money as prior to Gerrard taking that job they were facing the very real prospect of being relegated.

At the time they hadn't experienced a proper title challenge in their quest for 10iar and with us closing the gap by 6 points I believe they'd have folded under that pressure, our championship season showed how well they could handle the pressure.
What exactly do you class as a proper title challenge? There were 3 points between us March 2018 before getting beat off 10 men, we beat them at Ibrox then bottled it in early 2019 after Christmas then the same happened the following year.

Nothing at all to suggest they would have bottled it at all from March onwards.

They caved in on the October the following season, entirely different to bottling it with single digit games to go. Absolutely nothing to suggest Gerrard would have won 9 games in a row after that game vs Hamilton. Fantasy stuff. He was closer to the sack.

What exactly do you class as a proper title challenge? There were 3 points between us March 2018 before getting beat off 10 men, we beat them at Ibrox then bottled it in early 2019 after Christmas then the same happened the following year.

Nothing at all to suggest they would have bottled it at all from March onwards.

They caved in on the October the following season, entirely different to bottling it with single digit games to go. Absolutely nothing to suggest Gerrard would have won 9 games in a row after that game vs Hamilton. Fantasy stuff. He was closer to the sack.
Gerrard was never in danger of getting the sack with us, that's fantasy stuff.

Gerrard was never in danger of getting the sack with us, that's fantasy stuff.
I didn't say he was in danger of it actually happening but there was more chance of that happening than him turning over a 13 point gap with 9 games to go.

If Villa's owners are expecting better than a top 10 finish they'll have to spend crazy money as prior to Gerrard taking that job they were facing the very real prospect of being relegated.
Do you think they’re splashing out on players like Coutinho just to finish in the top 10?

It’s besides the point where Gerrard and his ambitions to manage Liverpool are concerned anyway.

Klopp has returned them to the top of European football. When he departs I’d imagine those running the show at Anfield will be able to take their pick of the best managers on the planet in a bid to maintain that level of success.

Prodigal son or not, if the best Gerrard has managed at Villa by then is to get them into the EPL top 10, I highly doubt he’ll be high on their list.

Do you think they’re splashing out on players like Coutinho just to finish in the top 10?

It’s besides the point where Gerrard and his ambitions to manage Liverpool are concerned anyway.

Klopp has returned them to the top of European football. When he departs I’d imagine those running the show at Anfield will be able to take their pick of the best managers on the planet in a bid to maintain that level of success.

Prodigal son or not, if the best Gerrard has managed at Villa by then is to get them into the EPL top 10, I highly doubt he’ll be high on their list.
Time will tell but I suspect when Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be a name mentioned and very likely considered as a replacement however they'll certainly not be short of applicants.

In fairness I think a lot of them didn’t want him in the first place and weren’t too impressed with what he served up last season for the most part.

So having just lost their opening game to a newly promoted side whose own manager was saying were miles off where he wanted going into the season I’m not surprised the knives are out already.

He can’t complain about not having been backed this summer that’s for sure.
Carlos + Coutinho and Kamara on a free is not that impressive to compete in the EPL imo.

You keep saying that but that’s probably only true if you’re 16 years old.

It’ll be hilarious if he gets the Liverpool job (which won’t happen unless they slip back down to the level they were at under Hodgson btw).

Time will tell but I suspect when Klopp decides to leave Liverpool Gerrard will be a name mentioned and very likely considered as a replacement however they'll certainly not be short of applicants.
Or they just go for the next up and coming German coach

I love Steven Gerrard for what he done to my club and it pains me to say this, he'll be away by Christmas and his managerial career will be in tatters. I so hope I'm wrong but can't see it any other way especially with the brains of the outfit Michael Beale leaving.
Agree with you. Have heard a lot of senior journalists in England now saying pretty much the same thing; he will be out soon.
What a mistake you made Stevie....

You keep saying that but that’s probably only true if you’re 16 years old.

It’ll be hilarious if he gets the Liverpool job (which won’t happen unless they slip back down to the level they were at under Hodgson btw).
Unfortunately I'm much older than 16, can you tell me a title we've won that seen anything like the celebrations we witnessed when we won 55 that alone should be a good indication of how important that title was.

Never a Rangers manager, he's found his level where he's at right now, and if he manages to exceed from what Aston Villa have been doing so far there then he'll be doing well. No hard feelings, and hopefully he does do well at his club, but had he been a really good manager we'd have won the League sooner, and a cup or two.

You really have no scope on how much of a clusterfuck Rangers were when Gerrard took over.

I liked Gerrard at Rangers, I will be thankful to him for winning us 55 but I always hate when players or managers think they are going on to bigger and better clubs when they leave. I get the EPL is a pull and Gerrard's endgame has always been Liverpool but for me and maybe its just because I am biased there will be no other club that has everything that Rangers has.

I liked Gerrard at Rangers, I will be thankful to him for winning us 55 but I always hate when players or managers think they are going on to bigger and better clubs when they leave. I get the EPL is a pull and Gerrard's endgame has always been Liverpool but for me and maybe its just because I am biased there will be no other club that has everything that Rangers has.
You are posting that as a rangers fan though with blue tinted specs on.
Gerrard is not a rangers fan, he will see things entirely differently with red tinted specs on.

Gerrard will only be in the frame if he is successful as a manager in his own right. There is next to no chance of Liverpool going from the absolute elite of football management in Klopp, to Steven Gerrard... unless he really shows he has what it takes.

If he gets binned by Villa he will still have options, but those options are unlikely to be ones that will have him in the frame for the Liverpool job.

Back