Burnley looking at Sakala. ?

He’s not good enough for us, despite what his “stats” might say. Anyone watching him play knows this. A good fee and he goes with our best wishes, no doubt.

I’m sorry to have to agree here.

His infectious smile, his joy of playing for us and his fabulous song don’t make up for his other shortcomings.

Really love him as a person, but if he goes, he will go with my blessings and the lovely memories of him dumping the Motherwell shite in their own midden and the fans reception for him after full time.

I have been thinking that he was no longer in Gio's plans and his time with us was over. If it's true he is staying I for one will be very happy with that.

I like Sakala and he can be effective, but tactically he is miles off it. It's clear as day Gio, doesn't trust him due to that.

If Gio isn't using Sakala, I'd rather move Sakala on and get someone in who Gio wants.

If we can get about £3 million for Sakala and then spend that £3 million on a new wide player, I'd be happy.

The only development I have seen from sakala is he doesn't run with his head down until he reaches the 18yard box then boot a cross in as hard as he can. Yes he has scored goals ,when you play for the top team in the country chances will come for you to score more often.

The only development I have seen from sakala is he doesn't run with his head down until he reaches the 18yard box then boot a cross in as hard as he can. Yes he has scored goals ,when you play for the top team in the country chances will come for you to score more often.

If it was that simple, why do the rest of our team not score more? Specifically Kent and the other plays who'd play in the "wide right" area last season, ie. Aribo / Wright?

I’d maybe have a longer look at Matondo before making that decision
Aye, I asked my mate about him, who's a big Wales fan, and he said he this:
"Absolutely fucking shite… can’t watch him in a Wales shirt… makes me want to turn them off!"

He’s way too raw a player right now
He might improve once he learns the game.
If we lose him I’d like to think we could get a replacement in

He’s way too raw a player right now
He might improve once he learns the game.
If we lose him I’d like to think we could get a replacement in
How is he raw? He’s 25 years old. He’s pretty much the player he’ll be for the rest of his career.

How is he raw? He’s 25 years old. He’s pretty much the player he’ll be for the rest of his career.
Maybe raw is the wrong term.
He’s likely to take a long ball passed to him beautifully then 3 seconds later lose control of the ball and it runs out for a throw in.
This is what we’ve come to expect of him.
He’s clearly got pace, that’s critical in our team, I don’t think he’s got the basic skills to make it with us.

There isn't really any evidence that Sakala is in the manager's plans right now. Something about this story not quite adding up.

25 year olds can develop, especially if they haven't played that much football before that. Tav was the same age when he arrived at the club, and had scored 8 career goals up to that point.

He’s underused IMO especially off the bench when we’re chasing a goal. I’d have had him on in Livi and in Belgium.

That said if we can move him on and bring in a replacement that Gio prefers it might be a good move all round. He’s never going to get a run in the team here.

I think we should keep him, can't see us being able to replace him with similar quality for £3 million (yes I know we got Alfie for £1 million). Last thing we need is to be going into the end of the season with no fit strikers again.
No only did we get Alfie for 1 million but our team including the recently departed is littered with players that we picked up for a nominal fees, so it's possible to get quality for £3 million.

Scored more than Kent and Wright combined together and that's despite playing way less than half the minutes they did. He'll do for me. He gives us something we don't have in the team.

25 year olds can develop, especially if they haven't played that much football before that. Tav was the same age when he arrived at the club, and had scored 8 career goals up to that point.

Also worth remembering that Sakala didn't come through one of these elite academies down south so in terms of football education, he's probably a good bit behind.

23, turning 24 in a few months. Sakala was 24. There really wasn't much between them in age. I'd suggest Tav is a pretty different player now to what he was when he signed.
Yes 23 and not 25 as stated before . Players can improve obviously, as much as I do like Sakala, every player will not have the upside that Tav has clearly had in his game

I’m sorry to have to agree here.

His infectious smile, his joy of playing for us and his fabulous song don’t make up for his other shortcomings.

Really love him as a person, but if he goes, he will go with my blessings and the lovely memories of him dumping the Motherwell shite in their own midden and the fans reception for him after full time.
this is fine is looking at sakala on his own but if you compare him to others in the squad then their failing are way more obvious than sakala's.

A few posters doing their upmost to talk him down.

Scored more than Kent and Wright combined together and that's despite playing way less than half the minutes they did. He'll do for me. He gives us something we don't have in the team.
someone called his stats 'decent', hate to imagine what they think about kent, wright and others.

someone called his stats 'decent', hate to imagine what they think about kent, wright and others.
It's mental. If you look at the Premier League he scored 7, Aribo has 8 but Sakala played less than half the minutes Aribo did. Now this doesn't mean that he's better than Aribo but it tells us he's bringing something that other players in those positions don't have.

Find it quite incredible we were willing to turn down between £2-4m for Sakala in all honesty.

Indicates to me he’s higher up the pecking order than team selections have shown so far this season and he’s maybe just struggled coming back from the injury he had.

Would fully expect him to start featuring on a consistent basis if we’re turning down that sort of money for him.

23, turning 24 in a few months. Sakala was 24. There really wasn't much between them in age. I'd suggest Tav is a pretty different player now to what he was when he signed.
He’s 25 right now though. There won’t be many 25 year olds who’ve suddenly seen a huge upturn in their technical abilities and /or decision making. People are always saying he’s raw, raw is an adjective typically used for young players who have a lot of their development/refinement still to go.

Last edited:
I don't mind Sakala , he offers something different but 25-year-old's shouldn't be looked upon as developing, he's probably all the player he will ever be.

Prefer to keep him for now, at least until Alfie and Kent sign new contracts (if they do, if they don't, I would hate to see either go but we should sell rather than let them leave for nothing). Sakala could fill either position.

You think he is a player? Looks like a smiley character to have about the place, but was a Gerrard punt like Grezda who again was miles off the standard of being good enough for us.

Think a real footballer like Gio knows slightly more than the mentalists on here who think Sakala is good enough!

The same Gio who had a chance to sell him and refused?

He deserves to start ahead of wright imo he delivers chaos goals entertainment and 100% effort at all times

I’m not convinced by matondo yet

Take the money and run. The guys slept with a footballer no matter what his ‘stats’ say.

Back