United v Alkmaar - the press reports

Jobbers believing their own hype after, lets be honest, a rather fortunate result last week at Tannadump.

The signs were there when Tony Watt was blowing out his hoop after half an hour last week.....

The GK even last week was lucky to get away with a couple.

Some of those player ratings :))
Same paper gave a lowest rating of 5 out of 10 (we've had 4's for some of our players recently following wins) to Celtic after losing 5 nil at home to PSG. Gordon Parks, so hardly a surprise there. L'Equipe gave them an average of 2.5 per player after the 7-1 tanking with Lustig receiving a non rating and Boyata a 1/10. The Sun described it as extremely harsh and not a true reflection of their efforts within the game. Oddly enough, other than the defense against L'Equipe's ratings, I cannot find a single collection of player ratings for that match from any of the standard red tops on Google, it's as if the match never took place.

images

To be fair to Jack Ross he pulled of a passable impression of a German manager with his dark self-coloured crew neck jumper.
Ever since I watched the Sunderland documentary I always get the feeling he spends a disproportionate amount of time thinking about how “cool” he looks on the touchline, while his team is honking on the pitch.

Charlie Mulgrew: “Honestly Si, see at full time in the Alkmaar game, but, brilliant. Big Fletch goes into the Alkmaar dressing room in the scud, just wearing a cowboy hat and boots and tries to get a few of them to go in a taxi to the red light district with him and he started speaking to them in a Steve McLaren accent”

Si Ferry: “was the gaffer raging, aye?”

Mulgrew: “Naw, he was already in the taxi, but. The fans were all raging, man. Brilliant!! What a trip. That’s why we’re desperate to get back into Europe”.

The above might seem a bizarre post, but I bet that’s how it gets spoken about by those involved in future, as one big joke…

Last edited:
Scottish teams that do that badly in Europe, should honestly be fined some sort of money that redistributes to the other clubs in the division.

Embarrassing to our Topflight, and detrimental to the coefficient.

Strange thing to say but no yellow cards for Dundee Utd tells it's own story.

A 1-0 lead from the first leg and likely to be up against it away from home would normally mean closing down, clever fouls in the correct areas of the pitch, taking yellows for the cause as high up the pitch as possible.

A meek performance is an understatement.

Dick Campbell's Arbroath would have put in a better shift afgainst AZ last night and achieved a lot narrower defeat.

Utterly pathetic.

Last edited:
I switched over at 2-0, I could see the direction it was heading and had no idea it was 7-0 until I opened this thread. Travelling support deserves a full refund.

I found it a bizarre watch.

Go into a European away game, believing the hype from a fortunate home result and believe the hype that they’re all of a sudden a decent Euro team, and try to play like it. Quelle Surprise, scudded.

It’s not like they don’t know how to play park the bus football, like they do every time they visit Ibrox. That’s what they should have done.

SCOTT BROWN has backed old pal Steven Fletcher to shatter his personal scoring best for Dundee United this season.

Fletcher will lead the line for United in their Conference League qualifier second leg as they take a 1-0 lead to AZ Alkmaar.

But new Cod Army gaffer Brown reckons Fletcher will bag plenty at Tannadice.

He said: “If United keep Fletch fit, he will score 20 goals this season.

SCOTT BROWN has backed old pal Steven Fletcher to shatter his personal scoring best for Dundee United this season.

Fletcher will lead the line for United in their Conference League qualifier second leg as they take a 1-0 lead to AZ Alkmaar.

But new Cod Army gaffer Brown reckons Fletcher will bag plenty at Tannadice.

He said: “If United keep Fletch fit, he will score 20 goals this season.
Scott brown on smack now?

I honestly don't get it. I'd say we were better than Alkmaar yet we rarely stick 7 past dubdee. It's just further evidence that games against Rangers are their cup finals. Sad really

Watt always comes across as a player that thinks his team's fans are really lucky to have a player of his standard playing for them. He is slower than a week in the jail probably because he looks about 2 st over weight. Mulgrew passed me on Monday when l was having a coffee in kirkie main Street. I guarantee there will never be another football player that loves themselves self as much as that big haddie does. If he hasn't said " do you know who l am " at least once a day l'm a monkeys uncle.

Youve got to ask why these teams play far far better against us and defend like their lives depend on it.

Normally all goalies have the game of their lives and make saves that defy belief but no anyone else and its a total riddy.

A couple of the reports I read have made a point of mentioning that 7-0 equals the worst score for a Scottish team in Europe, the others being Hibs v Malmo and Barcelona v Celtc

The mhedia in places striving harder for a positive spin than they ever seem to do for a Rangers European victory! Lol

Back