Goldson for England

Maguire as Man United captain is genuinely one of the most baffling things I've ever seen in football.

I say it every single week and it never seems to get any better for him or them.

Just bizarre. The ultimate 'don't back doon, double doon'.

Maguire is actually decent if you sit him on the edge of his own box and ask him to head and kick everything clear.

Ask him to play on the half way line and pick passes forward with space in behind and he’s a bomb scare.
Bang on the money mate ,asking him to play a high line is just bad management

Would rather have Goldson over Maguire any day. Maguire only seems to play well against the dross and mismatches at International level

Usually pretty solid for England in their back 3
His club form is atrocious but he has better players In front of him for England. However taking him on his club form alone he should be nowhere near the England team. He's a poor central defender in the EPL.

Let’s be honest we could win the Champions League, the treble in our own country and the Super Cup, Christ……. The World Cup. Lol. they would still say we are pish because we have a shit league. Tav scoring a hat-trick, one a penalty scored with his stauner and he still would never get picked for the England squad never mind the team to play. Then there’s Goldson.

No player in the Scottish league will ever receive an England cap while still here such is the disdain for our league.

Any manager overlooking Tav for the last 2 seasons past needs their head looked at, Goldson is better than the likes of Coady who has 10 caps, Mings is perfectly named and Maguire at club level is a laughing stock.

Snobbery and stupidity have led the FA and their waistcoat wearing placeman to ignore a fine pair of players.

Maguire is actually decent if you sit him on the edge of his own box and ask him to head and kick everything clear.

Ask him to play on the half way line and pick passes forward with space in behind and he’s a bomb scare.

Exactly right! He's a head and hoof it defender. The pressure he's put under trying to play football for utd shows him up far worse.

Something you’d laugh off as ridiculous but Goldson is massively better than Harry ‘do you know who I am’ Maguire.

If you were to see Goldson against EPL attackers every week, I doubt you'd be touting him for an England call up.

That's not a slight on Goldson, just a bit of important context.
I'm seeing McGuire up against EPL front men every week, are you saying that he's doing a far better job than Goldson would because many Man Utd fans would disagree

Exactly right! He's a head and hoof it defender. The pressure he's put under trying to play football for utd shows him up far worse.
But that's the point about McGuire. He can't adapt his game to play a high line and as a central defender and captain he can't organiser his back line. He's a poor central defender for his club in the EPL.

A limited defender. Not capable of playing for a club that dominates possession. A jobber if you will.

But that's the point about McGuire. He can't adapt his game to play a high line and as a central defender and captain he can't organiser his back line. He's a poor central defender for his club in the EPL.

I think that's the point about utd's recruitment that they thought he could adapt to play like that.

He's never looked that kind of player so why sign him to change him when there's other footballing defenders they could have went for.

If you were to see Goldson against EPL attackers every week, I doubt you'd be touting him for an England call up.

That's not a slight on Goldson, just a bit of important context.
Seems to do ok at quite a high standard in Europe for the past four years?
Ayer seems to be doing ok at Brentford too and he’s better than him.

I'm seeing McGuire up against EPL front men every week, are you saying that he's doing a far better job than Goldson would because many Man Utd fans would disagree

It's impossible to say whether Goldson would do a better job, that's my point.

But using Goldson's performances against SPFL level attackers is not an accurate barometer of how he'd do playing for Man United in place of Maguire.

Never realised he was prone to so many mad errors
(I only watch Rangers)
See a ball like McLaughlin played Sands into trouble the other night in that video from De Gea to McGuire, but actually ends up a goal. Sands is better than Harry too.
£80m gets you Harry Maguire! A world record transfer fee for a defender at the time.

I wonder if every new Man Utd manager is forced to play Maguire just because they spent so much on him. What's the alternative, sell him for a huge loss?

I think that's the point about utd's recruitment that they thought he could adapt to play like that.

He's never looked that kind of player so why sign him to change him when there's other footballing defenders they could have went for.
He's supposed to be a top class player, he's an England international who can't adapt his game to different situations. That tells me that he's nowhere near top class, the fact that he can't adapt his game demonstrates that he's a limited defender

£80m gets you Harry Maguire! A world record transfer fee for a defender at the time.

I wonder if every new Man Utd manager is forced to play Maguire just because they spent so much on him. What's the alternative, sell him for a huge loss?
That's the problem in a nutshell. He was never anywhere near an £80m player, & to make matters worse was made Captain.

He's supposed to be a top class player, he's an England international who can't adapt his game to different situations. That tells me that he's nowhere near top class, the fact that he can't adapt his game demonstrates that he's a limited defender

No I agree I don't think he's top class but I think he's better than he's showing now because he's being asked to play a way he simply can't do. And that is on the people who scouted him and thought he would be a good signing for the way utd want to play.

Back