Aerial View Ibrox - Pre Club Deck

Beer Belly Loyal

gn17a.png

1991 Construction in progress

gn17b.png

It was a great piece of engineering, how we managed to add another tier on to the Main Stand.
You're right. Funnily enough I was looking up at it yesterday and often think that the addition of the Club Deck makes the main stand even more magnificent. I know the cost was high for the extra number of seats but it I think it was very cleverly designed to marry the old with the new.

You're right. Funnily enough I was looking up at it yesterday and often think that the addition of the Club Deck makes the main stand even more magnificent. I know the cost was high for the extra number of seats but it I think it was very cleverly designed to marry the old with the new.
Debenture scheme of course. Thousands invested money in that project, similar to the Rangers Pools efforts in the ‘70s to build the other stands.

Maybe we’ll see something similar again in the future when market conditions are right.

A rare sight in the Club Deck yesterday was all the vents open the length of the stand.

For the young'uns - the L shaped bits just inside the Enclosure turnstiles are the bogs IIRC. Nowhere to snort your shitey powder in those days.
For a minute there......I thought you were referring to the press box on the roof ! My old man had a pal who used to get to sit in there when he was a teen.

Excellent pictures. As someone who sits in club deck it's probably not ideal to want to hark back to the days it wasn't there.

I'd love to see one of those time lapse videos showing Ibrox as it develops.

Current form is more or less my only experience of it attending bar a few small changes. I still enjoy seeing pictures of Ibrox in any form though

For a minute there......I thought you were referring to the press box on the roof ! My old man had a pal who used to get to sit in there when he was a teen.
We did a tour of Ibrox with the BB in the early 80’s and we were allowed into the press box, it was terrifying :))
I believe we were one of the last few groups allowed to do it due to health and safety.

I was on a tour of Ibrox in the seventies and was in the old press box. It certainly was scary. I was also shown round Ibrox about 9 years ago and there was a big difference.

Murray’s finest achievement in a lot of ways. A genuinely world class piece of engineering and still looks amazing 30’years on

I was on a tour of Ibrox in the seventies and was in the old press box. It certainly was scary. I was also shown round Ibrox about 9 years ago and there was a big difference.
I always thought the press boxes at Ibrox and Hampden looked really dodgy. It must have been some view of the game right enough.

Those toilets were alright compared to equivalent facilities in other grounds at the time but looking back… grim.
You are right, remember the toilets in the piggery were always flooded, suppose they couldn’t handle 20000 steaming bears and if truth be told weren’t fit for humans, that lots end were the exact same, was at the hibs final in their end and their bogs were the same , filthy.

Excellent pictures. As someone who sits in club deck it's probably not ideal to want to hark back to the days it wasn't there.

I'd love to see one of those time lapse videos showing Ibrox as it develops.

Current form is more or less my only experience of it attending bar a few small changes. I still enjoy seeing pictures of Ibrox in any form though

The initial sketches for the club deck included hospitality boxes, not sure the reasons it changed, possibly cost?
Have the sketch but not sure how to attach here.

Debenture scheme of course. Thousands invested money in that project, similar to the Rangers Pools efforts in the ‘70s to build the other stands.

Maybe we’ll see something similar again in the future when market conditions are right.

A rare sight in the Club Deck yesterday was all the vents open the length of the stand.
Did all the debenture owners get shafted by Green, I have a friend who maintains its King.

The initial sketches for the club deck included hospitality boxes, not sure the reasons it changed, possibly cost?
Have the sketch but not sure how to attach here.

Yeah, I remember a picture with Souness and someone else and they had the back of the Govan style boxes right along the rear of the Main Stand.

I reckon it'd have lost too many seats to make it viable.

I think the Club Deck was meant to cost £14m and was nearer to £20m by the end.

It looks great but in terms of value for money, it'd didn't lift the capacity by anywhere near as much as it should have. We lost so many seats in the Main Stand due to the works that it wasn't close to the 7500 being added on.

It's still some achievement right enough and really does bring the stand up to look modern.

Yeah, I remember a picture with Souness and someone else and they had the back of the Govan style boxes right along the rear of the Main Stand.

I reckon it'd have lost too many seats to make it viable.

I think the Club Deck was meant to cost £14m and was nearer to £20m by the end.

It looks great but in terms of value for money, it'd didn't lift the capacity by anywhere near as much as it should have. We lost so many seats in the Main Stand due to the works that it wasn't close to the 7500 being added on.

It's still some achievement right enough and really does bring the stand up to look modern.
It would have brought capacity up to 52,000 because original plans retained the enclosure being standing.

After Hillsborough the enclosure firstly had a reduced capacity (before the club deck was opened) then was seated to comply with the Taylor Report, so the 52,000 figure was never reached.

It would have brought capacity up to 52,000 because original plans retained the enclosure being standing.

After Hillsborough the enclosure firstly had a reduced capacity (before the club deck was opened) then was seated to comply with the Taylor Report, so the 52,000 figure was never reached.

Didn't get near the 50k though at that point. The seated enclosure only lost 2,500 spaces.

It wasn't until the addition of the 3k on the Govan corners that it went over 50k.

When the stadium went blue too, the seats were shrunk to add in more to a row after the additional exits had been added.

To have spent all we did on the stadium and only lift it by 7k now hasn't been anywhere near value for money.

We've had the 7500 from the club deck, 3000 in the corners, 1500 with the additional three rows when the pitch was lowered, 800 added with Bar72 and I think, from memory, I'm missing something else. That's nearly 13k worth of seats from when the stadium used to be 44k in the late 80s.

We've "lost" 6k seats in that set of sums and the seating of the enclosure doesn't account for half of it.

Last edited:
Didn't get near the 50k though at that point. The seated enclosure only lost 2,500 spaces.

It wasn't until the addition of the 3k on the Govan corners that it went over 50k.

When the stadium went blue too, the seats were shrunk to add in more to a row after the additional exits had been added.

To have spend all we did on the stadium and only lift it by 7 now hasn't been anywhere near value for money.

We've had the 7500 from the club deck, 3000 in the corners, 1500 with the additional three rows when the pitch was lowered, 800 added with Bar72 and I think, from memory, I'm missing something else. That's nearly 13k worth of seats from when the stadium used to be 44k in the late 80s.

We've "lost" 6k seats in that set of sums and the seating of the enclosure doesn't account for half of it.
I agree with all of that - I was speaking about the ‘original’ plans and how they were sold to supporters: quite simplistically 44,500 + 7,500 = 52k.

The reality was very different as so many seats were lost from the original main stand.

I don’t know if it’s because I don’t really remember the main stand without the club deck, I was about 9 or 10 when it opened, but imo the main stand just ‘looks right’ with the club deck. It doesn’t look incongruous, or like it’s been slapped on. A very very good piece of design.

Murray’s finest achievement in a lot of ways. A genuinely world class piece of engineering and still looks amazing 30’years on
Aye he built it with his own bare hands
Approx half the build costs was raised by the support through the debenture scheme
Sir Duped and his steel company no doubt done well out of the build

It was a great piece of engineering, how we managed to add another tier on to the Main Stand.
Which cost an absolute fortune

Could have built a new stadium for the price of it

Though I wouldn’t change it now

Murray was a bastard who lined his own pockets

Aye he built it with his own bare hands
Approx half the build costs was raised by the support through the debenture scheme
Sir Duped and his steel company no doubt done well out of the build

Agree with all of that but it’s hard to disagree that he atleast did things like this properly and we rightly were well ahead of everything else pretty much in the whole of the uk at that time.

The red brick facade continued from the Broomloan end of the main stand to effectively the roundabout and as well as turnstiles contained a Public Toilet.
I believe there was a local ordinance that demanded the Corporation provided public toilet facilities every couple of miles and Rangers built in the toilets to facilitate this.

I'm pretty sure the Club Deck cost about roughly the same as the whole of the piggery, and it still looks magnificent.
The Celtic Park rebuild cost £40 million while the Club Deck cost £20 million, mental when you think about it.

Back