Central Defence a Major Issue

Madjid Moments

I’ve said it all summer, but we are weak in central defence. With Helander unreliable and now Souttar and Davies carrying knocks we are weak in here.

Sands isn’t a natural centre back and is being asked to do a job but it’s going to cost us.

In my opinion we should bring Balogun back, he at least offers a physical presence and ability to attack balls in the air. Both goals were soft and all down to the fact we can’t defend properly and lack physicality.

Sands wasn't the problem at the goals tonight

Not so much at the goals, more so his general positioning. Had PSV been more clinical they'd have punished it. De Jong chance at the start and the one just after HT where the boy toe poked it past the post - both were due to Sands incorrect positioning.

I thought Sands had a cracking game tonight.

The problem we have at the back is this insistence on everyone having a touch across the back 4 before the ball goes forward. PSV were pushing us back because we were delaying getting the ball out and it all just invites pressure.

Goldson thinks he is better than he actually is.

If we want to compete at this level you cannot afford to give away 2 goals from corners.

I said it a few weeks ago, losing our Nigerian lads - Bassey, Aribo and Balogoun has seriously weakened not only our ability to defend corners but also made us much less threatening when we have corners as well.

All very well having ball playing centre backs but we got bullied at times tonight.

Goldson to blame at their 2nd. Wasn't close enough.

Trying to remember the 1st, seemed like carnage and the ball went to the PSV player after someone (Goldson?) kicked it through Tav's legs right into the PSV player's stride.

It’s been an issue since before Gio. We are extremely vulnerable from corner kicks and concede a high number of goals from them.

Is it personnel, tactical? I don’t get it and why we haven’t improved at defending them.

Goldson is prone to letting his mind wander at this level. We saw it in Seville and again tonight.

I thought De Jong's antics got into his head and he looked way too emotional. He checked out for a bit in the second half.

It is what it is. By and large he's consistent but will always be prone to these type of gaffes.

The second leg feels like a powderkeg btw. There doesn't seem to be much love lost between the players and there's so much at stake.

We need a proper CH next to Goldson ASAP.
No, we need a proper CH instead of Goldson. Last straw for me tonight, I’d be delighted never to see him in a Rangers shirt again. I’m old enough to remember proper Rangers defenders and he’s a million miles away from them. Consistently unreliable in the biggest games.

No doubt his staunch fan club will slaughter me but it doesn’t mean I’m wrong. They’re just easily satisfied.

Back