MOTM Poll Rangers v PSV Eindhoven - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Voted Sands for 2 reasons. First he was one of our best on the pitch and secondly cause I knew he would still get it in the neck on FF. 2 poor goals to lose and Sands not at fault for either. still in the tie and Confident we can do it in Eindhoven. The folk that criticised Čovak, but realise they no longer can, have earmarked Sands.

I don’t see how Wright was cowardly? He showed for the ball knocked it past the full back, made forward runs, pressed the ball. He might not be good enough but cowardly is nonsense.
Absolute bollox

Couldn't clear the ball.
Fouled when he lost the ball
Couldn't cross
Gave the ball away 3 times in as many minutes

Had we drawn any other team then we would have strolled into the group stages as would they. A shame for the tournament that one of us will go out. Please god let it be them who go into the Europa League next week.

Great first half with some slick football - unlucky to be 1-1. Weak second half and especially poor down the left side - we got hemmed in for about 15 minutes ! Really missed Bassey there and Kent never got going second half.

Half their team look like giants. I don't know how we counter that in the 2nd leg. Will be some achievement if we go through that's for sure.

We matched a very good team imo

Cannot complain with our performance outwith two corners.

They have got £50 million rated winger and a Dutch international striker that we kept relatively quiet.
I think the result is probably a bit fortunate. They should have scored early on and McLaughlin saved what I thought was a sure goal.

It's obviously down to opinion but I think there was both some great play, particularly our 1st goal, but also plenty to criticise. The number of times we were under real pressure just to clear our lines in the second half was concerning.

Absolutely agree they have some quality players, Saibari and Gakpo would have been great to watch had it not been Rangers!

The manager needs to have a word with Goldson about defending set pieces. He really isn’t attacking the ball in the manner he used to and is a non negotiable. The second goal in particular was pityful.
Absolutely this. From the replay it looked like he practically bend down instead of getting up and attacking the ball. He gave me the fear a few times 2nd half last week against USG & against the class of player he was up against he got found wanting a bit.

Had we drawn any other team then we would have strolled into the group stages as would they. A shame for the tournament that one of us will go out. Please god let it be them who go into the Europa League next week.
2 of the 3 strongest teams in qualifying are playing each other (Benfica the other)

Immediate thought is the result is better than the performance.

I thought we needed a lead and, on that fact alone, I cannot be all that hopeful for next week.

But the lack of away goals is a positive. We kick off next Wednesday not “chasing” immediately, and that has to be viewed as a positive. It’s something to work with.

Obviously Goldson can’t be dropped but Barisic was dreadful. Time to see what the young Turk can do on Saturday
Were we watching the same game ?

By that logic who would have been your Dream team centre half pairing assuming goldson is not one of them taking into account our limited transfer budget.
Helander not available soutter injured
Balogan no longer with us.
Just interested! but I know goldson is prone to some howlers.
Point me and hopefully gio in the right direction
The fact our transfer dealings in CH’s has been abysmal doesn’t mean Goldson hasn’t cost us yet again. It means that those at the club who should have been able to see how poor he is in big games have failed in their duty to replace him. Souttar being a particularly daft digning with his injury record, ditto Helander.

The club have painted themselves into a corner by not recruiting a replacement and by not selling him on 12 months ago when they had the chance. The UEL final and tonight might see his mistakes being directly responsible for us failing to qualify for UCL. Not a good record and not one which should see him remain at the club but unfortunately our recruitment has been so poor we’ve effectively made him undroppable. It’s a terrible and frustratingly avoidable situation.

Goldson at fault at both goals, and his passing especially into Sands was very poor. James Sands considering how bad his partner was had an excellent game.
And I don’t rate Scott Wright as a Rangers player, he was a poor sub along with Glen Kamara who’s gone into complete reverse. Still onto Easter Rd, 3 points and then Eindhoven for a real battle.

People blaming Goldson for the 2nd goal need to watch it back. The guy that scores has a 5 yard run on Goldson zonal marking was the issue not Goldson.
You get out of here with your balanced, measured and factual post. This is a witch-hunt, and Goldson is in the crucible.

I think the result is probably a bit fortunate. They should have scored early on and McLaughlin saved what I thought was a sure goal.

It's obviously down to opinion but I think there was both some great play, particularly our 1st goal, but also plenty to criticise. The number of times we were under real pressure just to clear our lines in the second half was concerning.

Absolutely agree they have some quality players, Saibari and Gakpo would have been great to watch had it not been Rangers!
Fair assessment I'd say mate.

Sometimes good teams make you look a bit suspect though imo.

We didn't cling on or anything like that. We stood up and tried to play and it was a good game.

Can't fault the players tonight imo.

Very disappointing. Why do we have so much trouble with corners and free kicks? You'd think we might have solved the issue by now.

I suppose we are still in it, but based on their second half performance, a victory in Holland is a big task. PSV looked a level above us at times and we couldnt have complained had won the match. Having said that, we had a golden chance to take a lead to their gaff, were it not for our shite defending of dead balls.

Its a match we really really need to win. We just cannot afford to miss out on CL football this season or we risk falling behind the mentally challengeds for the next couple of years. People might say the EL is our level, but the money the CL offers is night and day and so are the players it allows you to buy. Once again tonight we saw our big players go missing. For all his skill and tricks Kent is just not the caliber we need to compete at the top level. He's not alone of course, for all the good things Goldson brings to the team he stands guilty for their equalizer tonight. He really struggles at times to clear his lines. I know it would have taken a fair chunk of money to replace him, but maybe the summer was the time to freshen up our defence and bring in new blood.

Next week is vital. The most important game we've played since returning to the SPL imho. We simply must win.

MOTM: No standouts for me tonight, which probably reflects our performance. You can take your pick from Tav, Barasic or Colak

WATP!

People blaming Goldson for the 2nd goal need to watch it back. The guy that scores has a 5 yard run on Goldson zonal marking was the issue not Goldson.

Goldson needs to anticipate that there'll be runners fs. He shouldn't be planted to the ground at a corner.

It may be “half time” in terms of duration of the tie. But we are massive underdogs now. We have a huge job on our hands in Eindhoven.

Disappointed to lead then draw especially when I felt like we could kick on with another goal. I really felt Morelos in the last 15 could have been a real threat. First half we played better and second half PSV played better. PSV won alot of headers in that game they are a big unit not sure how to problem solve that for leg 2
Alfie would've got the crowd going big style and that mightve gave some players a lift.

We,lost the midfield battle in the second half, Morleos on for the last 20 minutes dropping deep and linking up would have helped with that enormously. Our 2 subs did nothing, especially Kamara.

Midfield was once again overrun once they pressed up the park - we don't have a midfielder who can link defence to attack and end up either playing it about at the back or launching it.

Kamara should be absolutely embarrassed with his contribution tonight - goes on at 2-1 to try and give us a bit of energy and played hide and seek or passed the ball 2 yards behind him. He's finished for us.
He's way overrated anyway. A midfielder who doesn't score, doesn't create, can't win a header, but does fancy little turns now and then.

Didn't turn up in the 2nd half at all 2nd goal was fortunate but their 2nd goal is really frustrating can get this zonal marking in the bin just causes trouble.
I'm not a fan of it either but I doubt if we go man for man looking at the relative size of the two teams. Looking at the lack of physicality in our side I think our plan was to find a way to have Goldson free to attack the ball wherever it was in the 6 yard box.

I feel a bit sorry for him because the second goal he has to come from a long way behind the guy who scores - he's never really in a position to challenge, but the players who are in the area never really make any sort of contact - even just to block the run a little.

The first one I actually think it's Tilman and Lundstram who are more the issue. One of them needs to win it before it gets to Goldson who has to react late to a ball that is really only neck height - it's an awkward one to head up and out.

From a psychological perspective a draw is a good result for a first leg, keeps players on their toes.

Going into an second leg with only a one goal advantage can be a bad thing, can make players relax too much.

If we'd gone into the second leg 2-1 up Gio might have gone into it with a really defensive lineup which might have cost us.

Immediate thought is the result is better than the performance.

I thought we needed a lead and, on that fact alone, I cannot be all that hopeful for next week.

But the lack of away goals is a positive. We kick off next Wednesday not “chasing” immediately, and that has to be viewed as a positive. It’s something to work with.

Obviously Goldson can’t be dropped but Barisic was dreadful. Time to see what the young Turk can do on Saturday
Goldson can’t be dropped because he’s our only CH. sands is physically weak and gets completely run over which means Goldson is covering both like a headless chicken at times.

I thought we did well tonight. We were excellent for large parts of the 1st half and stayed right in it 2nd half. 2 sloppy goals has evened the score (which we should have done better with), but the quality and sharpness is really starting to click in our team again.

Really hope we go for the jugular next week.

I think sometimes some of our fans forget the quality of PSV and the likes, I'm not surprised if they score against us
I think some of our fans cant understand basic elements of a game of football, let alone quality of opposition players they cant even pronounce :rolleyes:o_O

Some of the clowns that sit around me are a total shambles.

Voted Sands for 2 reasons. First he was one of our best on the pitch and secondly cause I knew he would still get it in the neck on FF. 2 poor goals to lose and Sands not at fault for either. still in the tie and Confident we can do it in Eindhoven. The folk that criticised Čovak, but realise they no longer can, have earmarked Sands.
Sands was our best defender. For a midfielder that says a lot.

Fair assessment I'd say mate.

Sometimes good teams make you look a bit suspect though imo.

We didn't cling on or anything like that. We stood up and tried to play and it was a good game.

Can't fault the players tonight imo.
Aye, I think that's fair. I don't think any hid tonight but would liked to have seen a bit more composure from some of our play. As you say, it's probably a good part to do with the pressure PSV put on us in that second half.

Would like a bit more movement in the centre of the park and the two players in there making an angle for a pass to work the ball up the line with the wide players.

The Borna ball to Tillman and the Davis pass to Tav offered something different than the horseshoe pattern of play we seem to fall into when we can't play through teams.

Goldson can’t be dropped because he’s our only CH. sands is physically weak and gets completely run over which means Goldson is covering both like a headless chicken at times.

I didn’t see who was culpable at either goal in real time, and I’ve generally been mystified by the sands clamour on here.

But in general play I thought Goldson was the bigger weak link tonight. He was error strewn. Misplaced passes, wrong decisions, inviting pressure on us. Sands did okay tonight

Alfie clearly isn’t fit or the gaffer thinks he’s out of shape

Potentially in danger of pissing him off big time, cannot afford him to be tempted to go

Back