MOTM Poll Rangers v PSV Eindhoven - 20:00 Tuesday - BT Sports

Your Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alfie clearly isn’t fit or the gaffer thinks he’s out of shape

Potentially in danger of pissing him off big time, cannot afford him to be tempted to go
It will be a sharpness thing, not an issue when Colak is scoring every game - Alfredo will play.

Sands was our best defender. For a midfielder that says a lot.
Always looked to play it forward and can pick a pass. I’m struggling to pick out a mistake he made yet many on here will hold the fact he came here labelled as a Dm against him. Gio so far this season including pre-season hasn’t once used him in midfield. He is 100% viewed as a CB by management and I’ve no issue with that at all

Was at the game and thought we looked good in the first half with some neat passing but completely fell away in the second half.

Just on way home from game. Disappointed because we could have won that but still think we’ve got a chance. Kent, Wright and Matondo can hurt them on the break with their pace.
Thought we did well tonight against a good team but poor set piece defending cost us. Sands, Colak and Davis stood out for me with McLaughlin and Tav next best.
We can still do this!!

I worry about the middle of the park Davis when he plays for me slows the game down far too often same with kamara. When we play fast football we are very good but as soon as we slow the game down then the mistakes come.

Goldson can’t be dropped because he’s our only CH. sands is physically weak and gets completely run over which means Goldson is covering both like a headless chicken at times.
A bit unfair on Sands after the game Goldson had tonight. No point in trying to marshall the players around you if you're not doing your own job.

I was at it so concede I can miss things from telly.
But you didn’t elaborate on what you disagree with
Borna in particular.
He got into a pickle a few times late on because Sands put him in it with stupid passes when he was swarmed all over.
Tav got roasted more than once and Mc laughin saved the day for him and no need to highlight Goldson anymore than already mentioned on the thread.
Barasic had a good game and got forward well to support the attack until the midfield fell away a bit .

I think the result is probably a bit fortunate. They should have scored early on and McLaughlin saved what I thought was a sure goal.

It's obviously down to opinion but I think there was both some great play, particularly our 1st goal, but also plenty to criticise. The number of times we were under real pressure just to clear our lines in the second half was concerning.

Absolutely agree they have some quality players, Saibari and Gakpo would have been great to watch had it not been Rangers!
I think result was about fair, both teams fairly evenly matched overall. Defensively both teams lost a goal through mistakes, their first we could’ve maybe done better at too but then we did make a good save. Our first goal was just great football.

Away game we need Dortmund level of performance or I think they’ll edge the game. Hope we have Morelos fitter and Mantondo could be a good asset with his pace as I’d imagine they will push up more at home. Would like to have Davies fit and perhaps have Sands in the middle with Lundstram to give a good solid spine.

Not out of it but I think they are solid favourites.

We weren’t outplayed in fact at times we were very good but defending corners we are a nightmare,PSV will probably be quite happy to see the ball going out for corners next Tuesday night,
MOTM Colak took his goal well and put in a great overall shift,Special mention for Davis surprised he started and Sands who had one of his best games for us imo.

Borna in particular.
He got into a pickle a few times late on because Sands put him in it with stupid passes when he was swarmed all over.
Tav got roasted more than once and Mc laughin saved the day for him and no need to highlight Goldson anymore than already mentioned on the thread.
Barasic had a good game and got forward well to support the attack until the midfield fell away a bit .

I’ll watch it back later, my feeling was Borna had a poor game. Granted not helped by no out balls aa he was getting pressed

Need to play Morelos against Hibs to get him somewhere near match fitness. Colak good but Morelos hold up play will be crucial next week.

A bit unfair on Sands after the game Goldson had tonight. No point in trying to marshall the players around you if you're not doing your own job.
Goldson having a nightmare performance doesn't exclude Sands from criticism. He gave away the corner they scored the 2nd from with a dreadful attempt at a clearance for a throw in. He was then nowhere near their runners at the same corner, 10 yards out. During open play he was out of position so many times causing Goldson and Barisic to also be drawn out of position. He was nowhere near as bad as Goldson was tonight and his passing is always consistently good, but it's nto wrong to say that he's miles off a Rangers class central defender and not good enough for the Champions League level.

Gio didn't say what Davies' issue was but I feel he'd have started and been better than Sands if he'd made the starting XI.

I definitely think one of the reasons Kent looks like he’s struggling this season is because Barisic is so scared to go forward and pass forward. We need this Turkish guy to get up to speed ASAP.
Tillman had an absolute stinker too. Nothing worked out for him, but it was just one of those games for him. He’s young so you expect that.

Disappointed not to win the game but the tie isn't over even if they will be the favorites.

Defending corners was our Achilles heal last season and we haven't resolved it.

I’ll watch it back later, my feeling was Borna had a poor game. Granted not helped by no out balls aa he was getting pressed
That was certainly the case in the last quarter when they out the pressure on but every time we got an out ball ,esp around the 60 min mark ,the midfield gave it away cheaply with loose balls .
We are still in this mate. More than able if we turn up next week

Goldson can’t be dropped because he’s our only CH. sands is physically weak and gets completely run over which means Goldson is covering both like a headless chicken at times.
True. I think goldson needs another real centre half beside him. Someone with height . If sands is going to play let him play in from of central defender. I don't think he's good enough to play in these games in that position but he did ok tonight apart from the usual wee scare . Still in the game so on we go.

We were up against a really good team. A draw was a fair result. And we still have a chance.
I think that zonal marking just gives attackers a run on our defenders and for that reason we should not be using it. That said there is no doubt that we need more physical presence in our own box. But to just single out Goldson is just unfair imo.

Not for the first time with Gio. His substitutions are far too often incredibly frustrating.
I said similar earlier. Last season there were games where players were out on their feet & he didn't even bring anyone on. He gets a lot right but he has his flaws. Then again, here I am sitting in my pants judging the guy managing to get into the CL B-D

I thought we did well tonight. We were excellent for large parts of the 1st half and stayed right in it 2nd half. 2 sloppy goals has evened the score (which we should have done better with), but the quality and sharpness is really starting to click in our team again.

Really hope we go for the jugular next week.
We have to go for the jugular, we need to win, let them see what we are really all adout.

People blaming Goldson for the 2nd goal need to watch it back. The guy that scores has a 5 yard run on Goldson zonal marking was the issue not Goldson.
He shouldn’t have been getting a 5 yard run though. He should have been impeded. It’s done in every game. That wasn’t Godson's fault, but he has to make a challenge, attack the ball and be much stronger.

Must have been watching a different game !
I missed the first 20 mins of the 2nd half but, yeah I thought PSV looked nervous from the off and didn't keep the ball the way I think of Dutch teams doing. We looked a yard shaper than them and were more assured in our passing. So yeah I watched the same game but saw it differently. Mind blown.

Still in the tie. It will be hard up there with their slick passing but we are capable of getting a result.

We need to improve two things. Giving the ball away so many times and defending set pieces.

And we'll have to improve on recent away performances in Europe. I think Belgrade was the last time we scored away from home.

In review of the 90, there's a lot we can be pleased about, we generally controlled most of the game and allowed them into the latter stages due to our tired legs around 60 minutes.

On the right hand side, we looked pretty well balanced with Tillman and Lawrence floating around, Tav never got too isolated out there and he did well with his dribbles in tight spaces. On the left, we looked stronger in the first half when Barisic would overlap, in the second half he largely stopped this and sat back, totally isolating Kent and over time, their defenders kicked lumps out of him. Centrally we looked good in the first half with Lunny and Davis, they both have a keen sense of defensive positions and getting the ball moving. They're a great duo when fit. Colak looked immense at times and he's looking more slick by the week. Goldson and Sands looked solid enough defensively, but at those corners, Connor was away with the fairies. I still think our left side of defense is a massive problem, but it's more Borna than Sands to blame for that. Borna is extremely predictable to play against, and he gets boxed into the same positions every game, it allows teams to press us when we shouldn't have to. Ridvan and Davies will offer a far more relaxed flow down that side, but it may be a tad soon for the second leg to see that.

Overall, not bad for us. They can be beaten, for sure. Matondo on the right in the second leg could be a big influence if they have a go.

That was certainly the case in the last quarter when they out the pressure on but every time we got an out ball ,esp around the 60 min mark ,the midfield gave it away cheaply with loose balls .
We are still in this mate. More than able if we turn up next week

Going to be very difficult now. But the lack of away goals is a blessing. If you have to go there chasing the game, it’s an uphill struggle.

Kicking off the tie level….we’re underdogs, but it’s still possible. I will still dream for the next 8 nights

I worry about the middle of the park Davis when he plays for me slows the game down far too often same with kamara. When we play fast football we are very good but as soon as we slow the game down then the mistakes come.
ffs Davis' first touch to Tav sets up Colack for our goal... get a fekin grip!!!

Immediate thought is the result is better than the performance.

I thought we needed a lead and, on that fact alone, I cannot be all that hopeful for next week.

But the lack of away goals is a positive. We kick off next Wednesday not “chasing” immediately, and that has to be viewed as a positive. It’s something to work with.

Obviously Goldson can’t be dropped but Barisic was dreadful. Time to see what the young Turk can do on Saturday
Barisic certainly wasn’t dreadful.

Guy has deserved criticism in the past but it seems people just decide to blame him for everything and anything.

Other than the times his team mates played him into bother, he was the best defender tonight.

Enjoyed that, playing against a top team for a massive prize, that’s what it’s all about for me. We played well in large parts tonight, if we could defend corners it would have been a famous win. Lots of decent performances and proud of the effort. Bring on next week, 90 minutes away!!

Borna in particular.
Watch the game again and see how many times Sands was put in awkward positions from passes by his fellow defenders. Sands played very well tonight.

I missed the first 20 mins of the 2nd half but, yeah I thought PSV looked nervous from the off and didn't keep the ball the way I think of Dutch teams doing. We looked a yard shaper than them and were more assured in our passing. So yeah I watched the same game but saw it differently. Mind blown.
They dominated the second half, our only effort was a howler from their keeper but if you think they were poor then hey ho.

I’m still somewhat perplexed we did not see Alfredo or indeed Scott Arfield for the last 15 minutes as our energy levels had definitely dropped.
Both of those two would have presented a different challenge and Scotty would maybe have given Tav more cover to burst forward.
Gio was very pointed when asked about Alfredo and said that he did not consider bringing him on because Antonio Colak was playing well.
I’m hoping Alfie gets at least an hour on Saturday against the spoon burners.
There is a buffalo with a point to prove.

He shouldn’t have been getting a 5 yard run though. He should have been impeded. It’s done in every game. That wasn’t Godson's fault, but he has to make a challenge, attack the ball and be much stronger.

He gets the 5 yard run cause of zonal marking as do 2 of their other players. Lundstram goes upto win it as well and completely misses it but in that situation there is only going be one winner and its not Goldson.

PSV were one minute from going out to Monaco in normal time at home. The chance is there. Protect Kent this weekend and let's hope we're smiling next Thursday morning.

Barisic certainly wasn’t dreadful.

Guy has deserved criticism in the past but it seems people just decide to blame him for everything and anything.

Other than the times his team mates played him into bother, he was the best defender tonight.

I don’t agree with that. Sands was the best defender tonight.

Like I said above, sometimes his team mates didn’t help him out tonight, but Borna looked increasingly rattled in the second half

I don’t agree with that. Sands was the best defender tonight.

Like I said above, sometimes his team mates didn’t help him out tonight, but Borna looked increasingly rattled in the second half
We will have to agree to disagree, because I thought Sands was getting us into bother quite a bit, particularly in the last 15

Absolute crap. Sands was easily our most accomplished defender tonight. Physically weak? Give it a rest.

Central Defense is poor and we need somebody in there to organize things at corners. Davis often stays on a post but did not do that which if he had might have saved the first goal.
Dont see us winning away
unless maybe Morelos and also I would add Matondo and still keep Colak to give us an attacking team which with Kent would worry their defense which is also not great.
AS usual we spend too much time with some terrible passing from a goal kicks and we need to get the ball forward quickly.
Enjoyed the game but not the result although it still gives us a chance if we want to take it.

Back