Steward losing the plot with a Birmingham fan

Looks like he's potentially restraining him. Maybe a punch he shouldn't have thrown but easy to say that when you're not in the middle.

Guys pals didn’t make a very good effort to get past.

Seeing more and more videos appearing of stewards taking liberties with fans - there was a video from down south of 3 stewards restraining one guy and the Motherwell fan at st mirren

Won’t be long before a few stewards get pasted at the football. They fire a wee fluorescent bib on and think they’re the police

As usual, the video starts halfway through the commotion and it's impossible to tell what happened leading up to this. It's hard to watch that from a balanced perspective because immediately I am thinking that the fan has probably kicked off and been violent, to which the steward is reacting with heavy-handed self defense.

Likelihood both are in the wrong here. The fan probably started it and the steward ended it. The minute he starts throwing punches its a criminal offence and a sacking, irrespective.

Ban the fan and sack the steward.

Yeah agree need to see context but fwiw those fans absolutely shat themselves. If that was Rangers away and a steward was doing that to a fan no danger would others just be standing there like that. Which is a good thing btw.
That’s the thing, I don’t think stewards would take liberties with rangers or Celtic fans as they know the consequences

How often have you seen police/stewards wade into our end? Doesn’t really ever happen, it’s always camera out videoing, identify people and sort it later

Doesn't matter what's happened before that, there is no excuse for the stewards behaviour, will probably be getting his jotters for that and a wee visit from the police.
I disagree, I do think it matters what happened before.
The fan could have been swinging multiple punches at him, it could be argued that the steward was simply defending himself.

That ex heavyweight boxer turned steward who sparked a guy out recently had no charges brought against him, and there appeared to be much less provocation in that instance (certainly in terms of personal contact anyway).

The fan could have been swinging multiple punches at him, it could be argued that the steward was simply defending himself.

That ex heavyweight boxer turned steward who sparked a guy out recently had no charges brought against him, and there appeared to be much less provocation in that instance (certainly in terms of personal contact anyway).
He’s got another 2 stewards beside him would have been easier to ask them to help him get him out

That’s the thing, I don’t think stewards would take liberties with rangers or Celtic fans as they know the consequences

How often have you seen police/stewards wade into our end? Doesn’t really ever happen, it’s always camera out videoing, identify people and sort it later
The cops are under strict instruction not to get involved in the moment.

(Life threatening situations aside)

He is paid to provide the support with a safe environment to enjoy the game, he should have reported any incidents to the the police in the stand and let them deal with it, he obviously can't control his temper so shouldn't be in that job in the first place.

Guys pals didn’t make a very good effort to get past.

Seeing more and more videos appearing of stewards taking liberties with fans - there was a video from down south of 3 stewards restraining one guy and the Motherwell fan at st mirren

Won’t be long before a few stewards get pasted at the football. They fire a wee fluorescent bib on and think they’re the police
Most of the stewards don’t really get involved in anything though. It’s normally a couple of jobsworths we have to deal with.

Down south it looks like they’re using younger guys from schemes/estates to steward and they’re up for a scrap :))

Which was? What could allow a steward to set about a fan, rather than apprehend him and throw him out?
Love how folk like you take SUCH a black and white perspective on things. Must be so cool knowing the answer to everything.

The reason folk are saying context is important, and what happened before this is important, is because the fan could have been punching the steward first, he could have had a weapon, he could have been threatening a woman, child, other fans... many of these scenarios are unlikely, but all very possible.

How do you know the steward hadn't already tried restraining the fan and removing him from the situation? How do you know protocol wasn't followed to the letter until the fan became a danger that had to be immediately stopped?

Trouble is you don't know, and no one else commenting on this knows, hence why before passing judgement, it's essential to know all the facts of the matter.

The cops are under strict instruction not to get involved in the moment.

(Life threatening situations aside)
To get involved with rangers/Celtic fans or in general?

I’ve seen videos of police wading into diddy team supports but never ours

Most of the stewards don’t really get involved in anything though. It’s normally a couple of jobsworths we have to deal with.

Down south it looks like they’re using younger guys from schemes/estates to steward and they’re up for a scrap :))
That’s true, not sure I’d take the job so seriously for NMW in fairness

It’s certainly our games. I assumed it would be all large groups of football fans.

I guess there would be some agreed ratio of fans/police where it would be allowable.

No point sending 100 coppers into 2000 fans. It would be carnage

Love how folk like you take SUCH a black and white perspective on things. Must be so cool knowing the answer to everything.

The reason folk are saying context is important, and what happened before this is important, is because the fan could have been punching the steward first, he could have had a weapon, he could have been threatening a woman, child, other fans... many of these scenarios are unlikely, but all very possible.

How do you know the steward hadn't already tried restraining the fan and removing him from the situation? How do you know protocol wasn't followed to the letter until the fan became a danger that had to be immediately stopped?

Trouble is you don't know, and no one else commenting on this knows, hence why before passing judgement, it's essential to know all the facts of the matter.

What was it you did? :))

The Steward was not afraid of the crowd and went 1 on 1 , took it a bit far but we don't see what went on before.
Fan could have lashed out and provoked the steward to restrain him

The early days of the section the police really didn't know what to do, seen them try to wade in a few times and it never went well.

The early days of the section the police really didn't know what to do, seen them try to wade in a few times and it never went well.
I remember one game in particular in 2012, might’ve been Annan around Christmas? The police had a handful on the deck, restrained

Think it was the walk out? Since then, I can’t remember anything though. That’s when the majority were younger guys though, doubt they’d do that now

Back