In Alfie and big Colak, we have to exceptional goal scoring threats. How does Gio utilise both in the same team.

For the past 2 or 3 seasons we have moaned that we don’t have anyone good enough to give Alfie a rest, or give him competition. Now it looks like we finally have someone and some seem to view this as a problem rather than a benefit. We will have loads of games to play and if both stay fit will get plenty of game time. I’m just glad we havnt needed to rush Alfie back and can get him up to speed over time.

More likely they will finish more games together rather than start and that won’t be often.

I don't see any reason why a 442 diamond wouldn't work against a lot of teams in this league, especially at home.

We won't see it in Europe though or our harder away games in the league.

I grew up watching us have two up top, probably makes me a rangers da. But suggesting that we go with Colak and Morelos must make the modern day fan a rangers da for suggesting it. So does that make the Rangers da a modern fan or the the modern fan a rangers da?

I actually think a lot of opposition teams wouldn't be able to cope with a 4-4-2 these days.

The CB's would absolutely panic against 2 strikers.
It would depend on the quality and athleticism of your 2 Central midfielders, but I think it would be worth trying later in some games to put the cat amongst the pigeons for the last 20-25 minutes.
I’ve thought the same - football seems to go through phases like this where everyone is suddenly playing the same formation then someone adapts it, has a bit of success and the rest follow.

A strike pairing could drag modern defences all over the place, even pushing the fullbacks back into defensive roles and not allowing them the chance to get forward as easily.

It’s where the idea of a 352 comes into play - have your core defence and the fullbacks ready to go forward or drop back as required. Let the two strikers really work the defence and it could even bring a central midfielder (let’s call him Hagi just to put a name to it) into the position of getting forward and linking up with the strikers - even getting the goals off their work or pulling the central defence around.

Only way I could see it is Alfie playing narrow off the right hand side. He likes to drift into that space anyway. The advantage of that is that it also frees up the wing for Tav to drive into.
If that ever happens it means the game isn’t going to plan. Be one or the other

I’ve thought the same - football seems to go through phases like this where everyone is suddenly playing the same formation then someone adapts it, has a bit of success and the rest follow.

A strike pairing could drag modern defences all over the place, even pushing the fullbacks back into defensive roles and not allowing them the chance to get forward as easily.

It’s where the idea of a 352 comes into play - have your core defence and the fullbacks ready to go forward or drop back as required. Let the two strikers really work the defence and it could even bring a central midfielder (let’s call him Hagi just to put a name to it) into the position of getting forward and linking up with the strikers - even getting the goals off their work or pulling the central defence around.
Against some of the dross in the SPFL we could even actually play something that resembled the old fashioned 2-3-5, with 2 central defenders, Lundstram sitting jn the middle with the 2 full backs wide of him, 2 attacking central midfielders, 2 wide forwards/wingers and a centre forward (or replace one of the attacking midfielders with another CF.

Would look something like:

McLaughlin

Goldson. Davies

Tav. Lundstram. Borna

Matondo Hagi. Tillman. Kent

Morelos

(Or swap Colak for Hagi or Tillman).

Gio has already said he won't play them both, so pretty pointless discussing it.

FF:
aGORMt.gif

Not sure why people are desperate to shoe-horn them into the same team.

Scoring goals hasn't been a problem this year. Gio is doing a 70/20 minute split with them, and its working. The man in better form gets the 70.

This isn't a dilemma, IMO

Only time you may see it is if we are chasing a goal and throwing a dice to try get points if drawing say at Ibrox.

Doubt be starting together

No one on here has ever really explained why you cant play with 2 centres or even 4-4-2, its just aye well ur stuck in the 90s i watch epl and know the game and its outdated.... not saying it has to happen all the time but i do believe 2 strikers makes getting on the end of crosses and scoring goals a bit easier and gives our opponents more to think/ worry about.

They do seem as though they could form a very good partnership and grab somewhere near 20 goals each.

More and more of these clubs are just going to crowd the box as its such a tough tactic to play against and with our defence they know one break or even a set play can result in an undeserved opener. The isolated forward in a crowded penalty box with our defenders passing round at the back is an awful tactic for Rangers in our league and it makes little difference to me what managers that have never been In Scotland say on the subject.

If Gio has decided he does not fancy it then its his call but i think hes wrong.
Like you say they crowd the box - putting another guy into the area where they are strongest doesn't make sense.

Alfie as the middle player in the 3 of a 4231 with Kent and Tilman either side?

Alfie and Tilman could interchange when required throughout the game.

Bit Championship Manager right enough.

This is the first real test of Morelos's career at Rangers how he reacts to it will show if he plays or not.
Colak has that advantage just now he's a player scouted and picked by the manager, not a player that's already at the club, plus he's at full fitness and scores a lot of goals.
This is the perfect scenario and the competition will hopefully make us stronger.

I dont think we will ever see it but I think it would work in a similar system to just now with the 4-2-3-1 and Morelos in the "10" position. I know he's not a natural no.10 but having Lawrence and Kent either side and narrow gives them the creative duties with Morelos playing higher just off Colak with Borna / Yilmaz and Tav offering the width exactly as we do now.

He won't, I honestly do not think we will see them ever play together.
Gio has pretty much said that, it's also very reactionary. Morelos needs fitness he'll get that by coming on as a sub and then getting a full 90 when Colak needs a rest and or dips form.

Then only one of them will play depending on who's on form.

Gio has said he never plays with 2 strikers.

I would love to see them play together. Maybe if we are chasing a goal in the latter stages of a game one or other will be brought on as a sub to partner.

Gio has pretty much said that, it's also very reactionary. Morelos needs fitness he'll get that by coming on as a sub and then getting a full 90 when Colak needs a rest and or dips form.

Then only one of them will play depending on who's on form.

Gio has said he never plays with 2 strikers.
That's how football works players get competition they either step up or not.

Morelos will be first choice. Having Colak means we have an excellent back up who can lead the line and be counted on as a reliable goal scorer. This will allow us to rest Morelos and keep him fresh rather than running him into the ground.

I doubt very much we’ll see the two of them on the same pitch often. Perhaps if we are chasing a goal in the last 20 minutes of a game.

Alfie as the middle player in the 3 of a 4231 with Kent and Tilman either side?

Alfie and Tilman could interchange when required throughout the game.

Bit Championship Manager right enough.
So your effectively saying play Alfie as a 10?

What have we seen of him that suggests that would work?

If Gio picked 2 strikers and we drew rather than win because we'd be trying to bed in a totally different formation, there would be calls for his head (again). We have a formation and a squad now that is sufficiently adaptable. Why do people want to over engineer that?

Personally, I'd like to see both start against Hibs tomorrow. Not the ideal opponents granted and it might still be a bit too early of Alfie. So a bit of a hypothetical question, but we need to get this partnership up and running. The two of them terrorising the oppositions defence is something I very much look forward to, but how do we go about.

A 4, 4, 2 formation and some like the following.

McLaughlin

Tavernier

Goldson
Sands

Barisic

Tillman
Lawrence
Lundstram
Kent

Colak
Morelos

I doubt it, a 4,4,2 formation is not going to happen any time soon.

So the question is.

How does Gio utilise both players in the same team?
The manager has already said this won’t happen.

Why should he?
Just put it out there to gets peoples thoughts on the matter.

Do you not like the thought of them playing together?

I certainly do, but as others have pointed out, looks like Gio dosnae fancy the idea at the moment.

Time will tell I suppose.

He doesn't.
Colak starts when he is in this form.
Alfie will need to bide his time and take his chance when the moment presents itself.

A flat 442 is dead while the majority of teams are playing 3 central midfielders. You can maybe get away with a diamond in midfield but you're leaving yourself exposed in wider areas.

If a team wants to play with 2 strikers they really need to sacrifice a defender to ensure they're not overrun in midfield. A back 3 is the only viable way to play with a front 2 nowadays.

Or you have to go with what Leicester and Atletico Madrid were very good at in a 4-4-2 - a heavily counter attacking team that is largely sitting deep and letting the other team dominate possession.

Which doesn't suit us for obvious reasons.

I actually think it would be amazing to give it a go with the 2 strikers up front - perhaps not so much in the Euro games but in the domestic games (apart from maybe Celtic) it might work well against the teams who park the bus. Having to deal with two handful's of a striker would break most SPFL clubs.

I can only see it working if we made Morelos drop deeper which I can't see happening. Colak needs to be in the penalty box, so that cannot be changed which means changes would need to be made among the rest of the players. Is Colak important enough to change formation for if we have a fit and firing Alfie? I'm not so sure.

I don't see any reason why a 442 diamond wouldn't work against a lot of teams in this league, especially at home.

We won't see it in Europe though or our harder away games in the league.

That's one that never seems to go well despite it looking like it should. We've seen some of our squads try it in the past, and that lot trying it in our 55 season, and the teams struggled.

I do concede that any time I see a team trying it they tend to be in poor form and chasing a solution. Can't think of a team that has had sustained success with it, really.

Colak has proven to have a great first touch, takes that touch and quickly lashes out with a shot at cobra speed. He will easily hit 20+ given the game time.

I would love to see him picking up the scraps as Alfie rag dolls the defenders for him.

Sound like Mike bassett a bit but can we not just play 442 like the good old days you never get striking partnerships these days.
442 was worked out years ago. It can probably only work if you are happy for other teams to come at you and counter but that won't suit us.

It's too easy to get outnumbered in a 442:
The opposition can play a 541 which negates our wingers and has 3 centre halves left to cover two strikers. If they go 4321 our strikers would be matched up, our wingers still have defensive full backs to deal with and they can fill the midfield when we are in possession.

I also think it's too rigid and teams can work that out now, which is why most teams now have forwards that can come inside, swap positions and mix it up more.

We don’t really have the players to play a 442 regularly. We’ve only got two out and out strikers. We’d need a young arfield type on the right side of the midfield so we don’t get overrun cause kent will be on the left. Arfield at his age couldn’t do it very much. Then you would be leaving out key players like tillman, Lawrence etc.

Back