Parallel Lines - The Gub lets rip

The bottom line is John Greig, that warrior of a footballer, whose tails never failed, simply wasn’t cut out for management. Time can be a great healer and we look at those years now as a mere blip in the life of the man. The more I look at Gio Van Bronkhorst I get that same feeling. Management is just not for him.

The above is an utterly preposterous statement. Whether Gio is good enough for us long term who knows, but to say management full stop is not for him? One of the most stupid things I've ever read.

As always a well written piece.

Would be interesting to hear what people think the solution is at board level.

Do we want one rich guy owning a majority of the club and investing?

Do we want a group of rich investors who have no Rangers history - or a mix or strangers and Bears?

Or do we only want Rangers investors?

What is annoying me right now is our injury situation and questionable investments. If we had a full team on the pitch and continue performing as we are then I'd extremely worried.

A decent read which is a sad indictment of the marriage of convenience that exists.
A board who are happy and even willing to court discourse as long as it’s compliant.
A manager who in the right context or setting is perhaps capable but far too reticent or worse, willing to play the ‘emperors new clothes’ game with the board despite the glaring issues around recruitment and support.

An unfortunately spot on article.

We radically need to change our approach from European games to domestic games.
(Barring the 55 title winning season, which was played under unique circumstances - it was the same under Gerrard to be fair)

Not only do we match them but we actually overcome and deal with teams like Benfica, Braga, Porto, Leipzig, Dortmund, PSV (and have done over a consistent period of the last 4 yrs or so) but toil against absolute jobbers like Ross County, Dundee Utd, St Mirren etc.
It quite simply doesn’t make sense.

We need to have a guarded and respectful set-up for European games (like we have done previously) and a complete different set-up and show teams practically zero respect domestically.

I still think “keeping the zero” is at the forefront of Gio’s mind in domestic matches. Forget the “zero”…. Let’s fully focus on the 4 or 5 we’re going to score.

Last edited:
Can't argue with any of that. Now, I'm away for a drink.

71ERGDc7QjL._SL1500_.jpg

Sigh. How depressing.

I'd suggest, the only difference this time around is we have a board that think the sun shines out of Gio and Wilson's arse because we got to a European final.

We've to be happy with the league title two seasons ago now.

What a great, great, place to be.
Don't forget they fixed the roof.

Sigh. How depressing.

I'd suggest, the only difference this time around is we have a board that think the sun shines out of Gio and Wilson's arse because we got to a European final.

We've to be happy with the league title two seasons ago now.

What a great, great, place to be.
Willie Waddell guided us to our greatest European success, he lost his job shortly afterwards.

That tells you every thing.

I don't think I've ever heard him say a positive word about Rangers. Ever. He flourishes when we are struggling.
Of course it's easier to write when you're hurting, that's when the passion you feel for the club comes to the fore.
When Borna's admittedly good form is one of the only positives (CL qualification aside) of the season then it's not difficult to see where he's coming from.

A bit lengthy. Could have been summed up in far fewer paragraphs.

I agree with the point about us showing also ran SPFL sides too much respect.

Meekness wins you nothing in Scotland.

We should be playing with two up front in every league game against these sides and playing one touch football.

If we start doing that, we'll devastate these teams and have matches wrapped up by half time.

As it is, we continue to make mountains out of molehill fixtures.

A bit lengthy. Could have been summed up in far fewer paragraphs.

I agree with the point about us showing also ran SPFL sides too much respect.

Meekness wins you nothing in Scotland.

We should be playing with two up front in every league game against these sides and playing one touch football.

If we start doing that, we'll devastate these teams and have matches wrapped up by half time.

As it is, we continue to make mountains out of molehill fixtures.
Won't see two up top under many managers these days.
We should certainly be playing two attacking midfielders in almost every game though.

I agree.

But the Gub is nowhere to be seen when we are doing well. He never has a good word to say about Rangers.
Tbf there isn’t a huge amount to be positive about right now. Our biggest positive in a while was due to St Mirren winning a game and nothing we have done.

Back