Club 1872 Blog – What We’ve Got Here Is, Failure To Communicate

Telling the world Ibrox was within 24 hours of closing was complete stupidity and incredibly naive.
Thing is it’s a load of bluster fair enough it would have been but only until it was repaired and deemed safe again it wasn’t as if the stadium would have needed to be knocked down.

It’s comments like that when they treat us with utter contempt.

Do you think these interviews were good PR and did anything apart from make anything worse?
Part of the reason they’ve made things worse is the expectations of those demanding they get to know everything.
Those who believe they could do better.
Like those who say “just sell them” when they don’t sign an extension.
Like those who demand to know the earnings of the board members.
Like those who demand to know how long a player is going to be out for.
“Demand” is maybe wrong because most of what I’m saying is demanded is in the annual accounts.
A daily update, a statement a day, is probably more accurate.

Because no other football club has made a bad appointment. Trying to hold a board to a totally unachievable standard,
Graeme Park picked Pedro from a power point a guy with less football knowledge than the ordinary man on the street.

His CV was poor and he was mid table in a back water league, They then spent millions on a well known alcoholic so yeah the board wasted a pile of money.

Part of the reason they’ve made things worse is the expectations of those demanding they get to know everything.
“Demand” is maybe wrong because most of what I’m saying is demanded is in the annual accounts.
No we just don’t want to be treated like idiots and only spoken too when they feel questions are being asked.

There is plenty wrong from top to bottom and condescending pish doesn’t help.

Was it true?

That's the thing, who actually knows ?

It's the first time I've heard it being mentioned and incident took place nearly 7 years ago.

Why wait until the board are in for criticism for a lack of spending when we're in the Champions League to mention it ?

Not even in the dark days of Pedro and Murty were they throwing it out as an excuse or justification.

Part of the problem.
In my opinion, they are totally discredited.
Other than to prove that fan ownership cannot be an option for Rangers.
Unless I’m the fan.
I agree they are hardly a shining example and full of self interest, I keep paying my money though so if there is a chance of a decent vote or to have an opinion it’s open to me.

Should say half a million and it’s already been pointed out that it’s Robertson salary.
Quite amazing the CL isn't worth much but we pay someone whose career has been less than stellar 450k. I sometimes wonder if we would have been better just keeping our best players and having another tilt at the Europa League or conference. I know that's the wrong answer but these interviews make you think it isn't. They should be about how the last few years are a platform for the next few years, what are the issues and what are the opportunities and put some data on the table. What are we doing about the ticketing rubbish, why don't the club defend the fans from unfair Politicians and media, why is the inside concourse grim, why is the outside tarmac like a gypsy caravan park (actually it's worse), - we could go on and on.

Unfortunately we’re at a point now where it doesn’t matter if the board communicate or not, the majority have made up their mind and are desperate to have a go at the board whenever they can.

In the past two and a bit years, under the current board, we have:

Won a league title
Made a EL final
Qualified for the CL group stages
Broke our transfer record (sales) twice

That’s not even mentioning the £80million loss the board have covered with their own money over the past 4/5 years.

The current board definitely do make mistakes but I think a lot of people need to take a step back at time and realise how lucky we are to have them.
I completely agree but I have a feeling that major boardroom changes are needed. The current board has, through prudent financial management, taken us to a place where we can begin to compete with the scum on and off the pitch and have an expectation of CL football on a regular basis. However, in order to sustain that and keep our huge and demanding fan base happy we need a more modern and open football club.

It's the first time I've heard it being mentioned and incident took place nearly 7 years ago.

Why wait until the board are in for criticism for a lack of spending when we're in the Champions League to mention it ?

Not even in the dark days of Pedro and Murty were they throwing it out as an excuse or justification.
You could have a roofing contractor round to your house or business today to repair most of anything or at least start it, It would probably cost a premium to be that’s short notice but it would be done and it probably cost a premium anyway.

I agree they are hardly a shining example and full of self interest, I keep paying my money though so if there is a chance of a decent vote or to have an opinion it’s open to me.
Did you get a vote or opinion on buying Dave kings shares rather than acquiring shares through a rights issue. I didn’t and that’s why I stopped contributing.

My thoughts on this were that it was mentioned as an example of the lack of basic investment in care and maintenance of the club that the post King board have had to pick up.

Failure to communicate is an issue certainly but IMO the communication when it actually comes has people scratching their heads.

We were told for years the CL money would be a game changer, now all of a sudden they’re scrambling to tell us it’s not and we’ve all overestimated the value.

We’ve been told on too many times to remember now that the club will be dealing with a matter only to hear nothing further about it.

They shut all media out and, amazingly, we get nothing but bad press(even more so than usual). They very clearly drip feed their news through fan media and then no doubt wonder why everybody doesn’t just blindly accept what these guys report(and they don’t stand a chance with some of the shite).

Amateur stuff. It wouldn’t even begin to solve all our problems but the guy in charge of comms is clearly miles out of his depth and has to go.

I’ve said for sometime now,glad we got shot of the spivs and eternally grateful to DK et al for doing so.The club has moved on in a lot of aspects but we are still a shambles and amateurish in others.

Was it true?
It didn't add any value imo. Looked very defensive and self-appraising. He could have just listed the things we have done including maintenance on the roof and lots of other places. It was hyperbole. The fact the rest of his interviews were binned is a clue they weren't thought well of I would imagine. Btw why is someone earning that amount getting interviews pulled. The 'boss' should have more credibility.

Last edited:
My thoughts on this were that it was mentioned as an example of the lack of basic investment in care and maintenance of the club that the post King board have had to pick up.

That's a fair shout. It was widely known that the spivs has left the place to rot. We all heard the stories of torn wallpaper and stained carpets. Remember the glee when we saw videos of the roof of the Main Stand being jetwashed and actually looking clean not long after King and Co took over ? There is absolutely zero question this board have chucked bundles of money into restoring and repairing the stadium

I just think that throwing out "Well, you lot are moaning when the stadium was 24 hours from being closed 7 years ago" is a bit mental.

Absolutely no doubt they could have.
Absolutely no doubt they could have been asset strippers and spivs only in it for themselves.

Absolutely agreed, that’s the purpose of accountability patterns. They are entirely neutral and position themselves to hold their choices to account.

Quite amazing the CL isn't worth much but we pay someone whose career has been less than stellar 450k. I sometimes wonder if we would have been better just keeping our best players and having another tilt at the Europa League or conference. I know that's the wrong answer but these interviews make you think it isn't. They should be about how the last few years are a platform for the next few years, what are the issues and what are the opportunities and put some data on the table. What are we doing about the ticketing rubbish, why don't the club defend the fans from unfair Politicians and media, why is the inside concourse grim, why is the outside tarmac like a gypsy caravan park (actually it's worse), - we could go on and on.

For me Robertson, Wilson and the manager are all major causes for concern and massively intertwined.

If the board are going to basically let Robertson and Wilson run the club which they are day to day anyway it should have been people at the top of their profession, We could easily find someone better than Robertson for half his wage.

But there is a way you do that mate. You don't say we nearly shut Ibrox. That damages confidence. You just say we have renovated and made repairs and we now have a tip top fit for purpose stadium and here's how we are going to make it even better. It was junior mgt stuff.

Did you get a vote or opinion on buying Dave kings shares rather than acquiring shares through a rights issue. I didn’t and that’s why I stopped contributing.
No I didn’t but buying shares was the reason all along all be it they were supposed to come from the club.

Ha, Ha, Ha, the first few lines of
paragraph 6 -

'It is arguable whether an organisation has ever shot itself in the foot in terms of public relations quite like Rangers over the past two years'.

What public relations have we had over the past 35 years and longer? Sure we even employed a hack (and Rangers hater) called Jim Trainor as our PR man. Ha, Ha, Ha. The old adage has never been better applied -

'You couldnae make it up'.

Rest of article is reasonable.

Failure to communicate is an issue certainly but IMO the communication when it actually comes has people scratching their heads.

We were told for years the CL money would be a game changer, now all of a sudden they’re scrambling to tell us it’s not and we’ve all overestimated the value.

We’ve been told on too many times to remember now that the club will be dealing with a matter only to hear nothing further about it.

They shut all media out and, amazingly, we get nothing but bad press(even more so than usual). They very clearly drip feed their news through fan media and then no doubt wonder why everybody doesn’t just blindly accept what these guys report(and they don’t stand a chance with some of the shite).

Amateur stuff. It wouldn’t even begin to solve all our problems but the guy in charge of comms is clearly miles out of his depth and has to go.
That’s really good post!

But there is a way you do that mate. You don't say we neatly shut Ibrox. That damages confidence. You just say we have renovated and made repairs and we now have a tip top fit for purpose stadium and here's how we are going to mar it even better. It was junior mgt stuff.
This I agree with.
I thought little of his mentioning of it at the time other than, if true it’d have been for one game only until it was repaired.
Even then, it’d probably only have been one stand.
I agree it was grossly exaggerated .

But there is a way you do that mate. You don't say we nearly shut Ibrox. That damages confidence. You just say we have renovated and made repairs and we now have a tip top fit for purpose stadium and here's how we are going to make it even better. It was junior mgt stuff.
It's just another example of how staggeringly naive they are when it comes to PR.

Stewart Robertson’s salary is no where near £450k.
I don’t see why Club 1872 feel the need to exaggerate the figures to make a point.
If their arguments are valid,and some of them are, then why are Club 1872 as a significant shareholder allowing fake information to be disseminated.

Unfortunately we’re at a point now where it doesn’t matter if the board communicate or not, the majority have made up their mind and are desperate to have a go at the board whenever they can.

In the past two and a bit years, under the current board, we have:

Won a league title
Made a EL final
Qualified for the CL group stages
Broke our transfer record (sales) twice

That’s not even mentioning the £80million loss the board have covered with their own money over the past 4/5 years.

The current board definitely do make mistakes but I think a lot of people need to take a step back at time and realise how lucky we are to have them.
Mr Park, is that you?

All in all it builds a picture of a Rangers Board who are either unwilling or unable to submit themselves to real scrutiny. As a Club 1872 member I was extremely disquieted by the Club 1872 Board’s statement earlier in the year which was so scathing of the Rangers Executive Team but it seems they have been proven to be correct. There is a clear level of contempt for supporters.

The bit in bold stands out for me, one of the little things that niggles me is that club 1872 refer to those who pay as contributors not members.

The 3 players into their last year in Kent, Morelos and Barisic would be upwards of 30 million if sold at their peak we cannot afford the sorts of outlay on these 3 with absolutely zero monetary return when they leave.

That’s probably correct I was half asleep when I read it, nearly 500,000 for Robertson oh that’s money well spent :(
£9k a week for a loss making company , couldnt make it up.
Add on the major bloomers thats cost the club serious money.
Someone should have been sourced with a better CV, not a Motherwell FC employee.

£9k a week for a loss making company , couldnt make it up.
Add on the major bloomers thats cost the club serious money.
Someone should have been sourced with a better CV, not a Motherwell FC employee.

There will be far better people with better qualifications and better suited to the job but he’s a yes man which will suit certain board members.

There will be far better people with better qualifications and better suited to the job but he’s a yes man which will suit certain board members.
He strikes me as being meek and no doubt hides behind a keyboard.
We need someone to take up the fight.

The cash distribution in the CL changed for the cycle 21-24 is how I read it - with a significant chunk of the cash previously available now going towards the 10 year co-efficient payment. Which sees, currently, the Dhims get significantly more cash than we do.

The 'pay for access' media model was a failed experiment. It was abandoned this Summer and is no longer in place, though advertisers and sponsors do get 'enhanced access'.

You are correct about unfulfilled promises - addressing the appalling disabled facilities being one.

Back