Firms fined for fixing prices fans pay for Rangers FC merchandise

Won't be long until its "common knowledge" that we were fined £2M. I remember some predictions our fine would be £4M+..

"Elite Sports has been fined £459,000, JD Sports £1,485,000 and Rangers £225,000"

The ratio of fines suggests where the fault was.
Did you miss the part that we instigated it and our fine is only less because they went and fixed prices on other stuff without our knowledge.

No it isn’t. We noticed JD were selling the top for a lower price than Elite and indicated we wanted them to increase what they were charging. Nothing at all to do with previous deals and to say it is is attempting to excuse an(other) attempt to squeeze fans for every penny.
Rangers didn’t make a penny more whether JD Sports sold for £60 or £55. The extra £5 went to JD Sports.

Won't be long until its "common knowledge" that we were fined £2M. I remember some predictions our fine would be £4M+..

"Elite Sports has been fined £459,000, JD Sports £1,485,000 and Rangers £225,000"

I remember posters claiming it was just a fishing exercise and no way our board would get involved in such a thing

£225k that should be going to better use is how I look at things. A week after board members are telling us fools we don’t have as much money as believed yet we’re wasting nearly a quarter of a million on this outrageous nonsense

Add this £225k to the sports direct settlement likely worth millions in settlement and lost court cases

Add this £225k to the memorial wall suing worth reported £1m

Add this £225k to the Elite / Hummel revenue we didn’t get due to having to take them to court

Add this £225k to a likely penalty for pulling out of the Oz friendly disgrace

And I’ve probably forgot some more shambolic decisions.

And yet still no one has lost their position over these multiple %^*& ups. Staggering arrogance

It's going to feel weird when the club finally gets its shit together and we don't have articles about price fixing, australia friendlies or the latest mid table Belgian team we're going to raid for squad players.

No it isn’t. We noticed JD were selling the top for a lower price than Elite and indicated we wanted them to increase what they were charging. Nothing at all to do with previous deals and to say it is is attempting to excuse an(other) attempt to squeeze fans for every penny.

The whole issue wouldn't exist if it wasn't for the quagmire of our retail deal from then. If you remember, Elite was meant to be our way out of the Ashley/SD situation.

My personal feeling here is that the club committed a necessary evil. Circumstances dictated it, none moreso than the Ashley/SD legacy we'd believed we were free from.

The fan boys of this board keep saying they have put their own money in.
They wouldnt have had too put as much in if it was getting managed correctly.
The comments from Stewart Robertson about a bit of metal roof sheeting hanging off was embarrassing.
If you buy an old house, you know money needs spent.
Its not rocket science.

So much for King saying Rangers done nothing wrong
From memory King was making it clear he had no knowledge of it and was effectively throwing Robertson and others under the bus if the club was found guilty.

I may have picked it up wrong, but was this not to ensure Ashley couldn’t get involved going cheaper with pricing ?

Would be bizarre though, considering Ashley still steals a march on any kit release.

The fact he’s ahead would probably render any price variation redundant.

If only we had Club1872 run by people that werent in it for the ego trip or fame.
They wont give up power either.
Very similar actually when you weigh it up.

From memory King was making it clear he had no knowledge of it and was effectively throwing Robertson and others under the bus if the club was found guilty.
Pretty sure he said he and someone else went through every contract with a fine tooth combe at that time and it wouldn't have got passed him

Headline on stv news today rangers fined£2m

I doubt Dave King, James Blair or anyone else on the board in 2018 knew anything about it.
Reading the article it sounds like our commercial director ( Scott Steedman) at the time has asked JD Sports not to undercut Elite by £5 for the home top.
Won’t stop idiots taking the opportunity to have a go at Douglas Park and James Bisgrove.
No chance did Scott Steedman do that of his own back.
There will be a paper trail.
Just be thankful it wasnt in this financial year or the fine would have been in the millions.

Embarassing.

In my work like 10 years ago we had a 1 hour course on competition law and price fixing etc.

Even I know you can not ask one of your distributors of your product to not undercut another of your distributors

We really are a fucking mess. There’s no doubting this personnel have kept the club afloat in recent years but they’re clearly inept at running a modern, successful football club.

Change is needed across the club and imminently.

The CMA also found that Elite and JD Sports – without involvement from Rangers – colluded to fix the retail prices of Rangers-branded clothing, including training wear and replica kit, over a longer period.

This is likely why their fines were a lot higher

He said the below in an article when it was first mentioned.

And that means King reckons no other Rangers executive could have done it behind his back either so is confident they will be cleared.

He told the Herald: "No. I am 100 per cent certain that the club was not complicit.

"I was absolutely not aware and, due to the club's prior embarrassments with retail, James Blair and I kept such a tight control over all commercial contracts that I don't believe it was possible for Stewart [Robertson], or any other executive at the club, to enter into such an arrangement without my knowledge.

"Absolutely not true to my knowledge. Based on the hardships that fans had endured I preferred to keep the prices as affordable as possible while still providing a profit for reinvestment into the squad to win 55."

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/dave-king-hits-back-rangers-24170967

I don't see how the current board are getting it in the neck for this to be honest, and I am no fan of theirs. If King was in the chair and King has said this was not possible without his knowledge, the current board cannot be blamed. Either King knew what was happening and signed it off or a lower level manager made the call and hid it, either way, it is on King or the manager rather than the current board.

Be good to get bennet/ roberston out this week.
Maybe they were smoothing the way last week by trying to make themselves look good.

So now we need to use £225,000 of supporters money to pay a fine because the board wanted to rip off supporters buying our football strip?

That's how this board treats loyal supporters. We don't deserve these people running our club.

Looking forward to people defending them because we paid £3m for a roof 7 years ago.
Aye, but would you rather Charles Green, the Easdales, Craig Whyte etc.

Another argument that the board defending arse lickers on here like to use to excuse the constant mishaps of our Motherwell level board of directors.

Get this bunch of hypocrite, tie-wearing shysters out of our club. A rap sheet as long as your arm of fvck-ups, and now this. Ripping off our own is beyond the pale.

JD increasing price wouldn’t directly make us more, it makes JD more. Rangers took this action so we didn’t all go to JD instead of elite. Done to keep Elite making money, and what a terrible decision that turned out to be as they kept it and didn’t pay us!

Awaiting the usual posters to be churning out the pre approved by the board narrative on how great the board are and how they put in the money when others didn’t ……..YAWN

Fan media and every other group that has a voice heard by many should be slaughtering the board for another in a long long long line of fu Ck ups.

But no, just sit down, shut up and empty your pockets as a good little customer

Back