Van Bronckhorst - Time to say goodbye? All just a little bit of History repeating via an article from 2019

ForGodForCountryForever

Van Bronckhorst- Time for Feyenoord to say goodbye? original article from 2019

Reading up on a few retro pieces about GVB as I try to make sense of Rangers senseless regression and ever growing concern around the lack of tangible improvement.

A few lines from the Football Oranje article that are damningly familiar :-

However, despite the recent success, all is not well at the Rotterdam club. Feyenoord have put contract talks with Van Bronckhorst on hold until February and the club are again, for the second year running, out of the Eredivisie title race in January. The main reason is Feyenoord’s inability to change the course of the game especially against lower ranked opposition. The blame for this must lay squarely at Van Bronckhorst’s door, the manager’s job is to find a successful plan B when plan A isn’t working. Whenever Feyenoord are struggling to break a team down, or trying to find a way back into a match, Van Bronckhorst will rarely venture away from his trusted cross the ball to the wings and then into the centre tactic and his 4-3-3 formation.

This inflexibility to change tactics has meant opponents read Feyenoord’s game, knowing precisely what they’ll do and when, and has led to some shock defeats such as against PEC Zwolle and De Graafschaap. The bigger teams, such as Ajax, can exploit this weakness from the outset having prepared for it and, as a result, inflict big and predictable defeats. Until Feyenoord find a way to solve this issue, a sustained title challenge seems out of the question. The biggest worry for fans and management alike is the standard of football has dropped off considerably this season so that teams now believe they can pick up points from Feyenoord both home and away.

Swap the Team names and that could be written about Rangers right now. Bad enough hes not learned/learning from his mistakes here but it may not be so new and as such so senseless.

I feel more and more the injuries are a smokescreen for what is simply poor tactical nous, both from the KO and reflective during the games.

You start to now wonder even if we had some absentees back would it really alter things significantly? We'd have a stronger XI for sure but that may not be the problem...

Last edited:

Reading up on a few retro pieces about GVB as I try to make sense of Rangers senseless regression and ever growing concern around the lack of tangible improvement.

However, despite the recent success, all is not well at the Rotterdam club. Feyenoord have put contract talks with Van Bronckhorst on hold until February and the club are again, for the second year running, out of the Eredivisie title race in January. The main reason is Feyenoord’s inability to change the course of the game especially against lower ranked opposition. The blame for this must lay squarely at Van Bronckhorst’s door, the manager’s job is to find a successful plan B when plan A isn’t working. Whenever Feyenoord are struggling to break a team down, or trying to find a way back into a match, Van Bronckhorst will rarely venture away from his trusted cross the ball to the wings and then into the centre tactic and his 4-3-3 formation.

This inflexibility to change tactics has meant opponents read Feyenoord’s game, knowing precisely what they’ll do and when, and has led to some shock defeats such as against PEC Zwolle and De Graafschaap. The bigger teams, such as Ajax, can exploit this weakness from the outset having prepared for it and, as a result, inflict big and predictable defeats. Until Feyenoord find a way to solve this issue, a sustained title challenge seems out of the question. The biggest worry for fans and management alike is the standard of football has dropped off considerably this season so that teams now believe they can pick up points from Feyenoord both home and away.

Swap the Team names and that could be written about Rangers right now. Bad enough hes not learned/learning from his mistakes here but it may not be so new and as such so senseless.

I feel more and more the injuries are a smokescreen for what is simply poor tactical nous, both from the KO and reflective during the games.

You start to now wonder even if we had some absentees back would it really alter things significantly? We'd have a stronger XI for sure but that may not be the problem...
Jesus.

All sounds very familiar.

It's boring as fu.ck watching Gio's teams domestically.

We seen last season in Europe that he can actually be very smart tactically but for whatever reason he just can't get to grips with Scottish football.

He needs to address that soon or he'll be out of job.

Keep doing the same thing and hoping for another outcome rarely ends well. Here's hoping he has used the break and the wee boost we got from them dropping points to our benefit.

We need to stop messing about and play quick open attacking football in Scotland or history in this case will almost certainly repeat itself.

He's got between now and the world cup to save his job.

Win every league game and keep things respectable with good performances in the CL and he's bought more time.
It would mean him completely changing his outlook. Hopefully this fortnight off has given him some time to have a think to himself. Reading that article though it doesnt seem likely. It looks more like we are heading to the inevitable conclusion of his inflexibility/ stubbornness getting him the sack. It might be a drawn out painful process but it seems as sure as night following day.

If we don’t come away with 3 points tomorrow the pressure goes up another notch.

The article does read like he’s not learned much since then as he’s still making these same mistakes.

I knew this already I read it last year when it became apparent he was going to be our new manager,my ONLY concern is why did our board not read it.
How do you know they didn't? Do you think they'd have decided not to hire him purely on the basis of an article from a website that looks like it is run from someone's back bedroom?

I'm not disputing that the manager has big challenges ahead, or has lots to prove but lets not pretend we're all ahead of the curve because we read articles on the internet.

Pretty much every complaint that has been written by Feyenoord fans is repeating itself.

Horseshoe football, boring style and not changing it, selling good players and signing shite, struggle to beat shite teams domestically, horrendous away record, didn’t win any away games in Europe (2 with us)

Unless he drastically changes his philosophy in tactics and squad management then we won’t win the league this season. However I get the feeling he is far too stubborn to change things.

Tomorrow is a big day for Gio.
Agreed.

If we don’t win tomorrow and then take a sore one on Tuesday I think his time is up.

The cancellation of the Aberdeen game aligned with the Tims slipping up bought him that international break to try and fix things.

I don’t think he’s going to be afforded too much more time by the support if we don’t come out flying tomorrow.

How do you know they didn't? Do you think they'd have decided not to hire him purely on the basis of an article from a website that looks like it is run from someone's back bedroom?

I'm not disputing that the manager has big challenges ahead, or has lots to prove but lets not pretend we're all ahead of the curve because we read articles on the internet.
I’ve read more than one on his time there and his time at others,if they had done he wouldn’t be here.

A Feyenoord fan came onto a podcast when we appointed him saying pretty much the same thing about him not changing even when things go wrong.

Hope he wins tomorrow and buys some time to start improving us.

For me the problem lies with the core group of players that we have rather than a manager.

The fear is that we replace Gio, a new guy comes in and keeps the likes of Goldson and Kamara- I guarantee you we get the same outcomes.

Can’t claim to be all things Dutch football and I’m strictly talking about him there rather than his time here..

But didn’t he actually win the league breaking that cycle of Ajax/PSV dominance with greater outgoings than ins?

Hadn’t won it years prior or since
Correct

Ffs at least wait until after the game tomorrow before posting negative shite. He’s not going anywhere for now and we’re just off the back of the first international break of the season. Fresh start tomorrow and we’re only 2 points behind. Some people just can’t help themselves, you’ve probably been waiting 2 weeks to post that the day before our next league game.

Yeah it's been a pattern since he came here and clearly in his previous job.

That's why we need to get rid of him now instead of wasting more and more of the season.

The thing is, I believe if we change tact we have the attacking players to punish the dross in our league. His refusal to implement this will be his downfall. I hope that he tweaks the system and starts getting more from his players and we push on with a good win tomorrow.
We miss Lawrence badly, poor state of affairs that we miss that 1 player to play on the front foot but the fact Tillman has dropped off a cliff, you go from Lundstram Tillman Lawrence as your midfield to now having Arfield and Davis as regulars

Yeah it's been a pattern since he came here and clearly in his previous job.

That's why we need to get rid of him now instead of wasting more and more of the season.
You are writing off the season when we can be top of the league in 24 hours.
You do know it’s the B team manager stepping up, you do remember what happened the last time we lost a manager mid season and he stepped up?! It’s all hyperbole

Let’s get to the break at least ffs and see where the land lies

Ffs at least wait until after the game tomorrow before posting negative shite. He’s not going anywhere for now and we’re just off the back of the first international break of the season. Fresh start tomorrow and we’re only 2 points behind. Some people just can’t help themselves, you’ve probably been waiting 2 weeks to post that the day before our next league game.
The OP, along with a couple of others, will already have his post match thread saved to drafts.

You are writing off the season when we can be top of the league in 24 hours.
You do know it’s the B team manager stepping up, you do remember what happened the last time we lost a manager mid season and he stepped up?! It’s all hyperbole

Let’s get to the break at least ffs and see where the land lies
We will be back second a few hours later and that's how we will finish the season, based on what I've seen from the manager since he came in.

There is little good reason to believe otherwise.

We will be back second a few hours later and that's how we will finish the season, based on what I've seen from the manager since he came in.

There is little good reason to believe otherwise.
That’s the spirit, another belter who stands roadside waiting for a bus to splash him at a puddle.
Mate how can you live life as a Rangers fan full of fear and negativity it baffles me

That’s the spirit, another belter who stands roadside waiting for a bus to splash him at a puddle.
Mate how can you live life as a Rangers fan full of fear and negativity it baffles me
Because I want Rangers to be successful and if I was to have belief in this management it would be in denial.

I've watched us throw away the league, be battered by Celtic and generally struggle week in week out. I want a competent manager in who can change that, nothing more nothing less. It's not about negativity or fear or anything else.

We were told what to expect, Gio's teams from his past managerial experiences have all played the same way.

Boring football with a tactically inept infrastructure and the depressing thing is, I can't see it changing.

We are too pedestrian and void of creative imagination, from an attacking point of view.

Obviously hoping for a win tomorrow, but in all honesty, we'll be lucky to get a draw.

With that, I hope to be well and truly slaughtered on here tomorrow afternoon after we give an exceptional performance and win handsomely.

We'll see.

Hope he wins tomorrow and buys some time to start improving us.

For me the problem lies with the core group of players that we have rather than a manager.

The fear is that we replace Gio, a new guy comes in and keeps the likes of Goldson and Kamara- I guarantee you we get the same outcomes.
Wow, I have almost the opposite opinion. Goldson played in a defence with a clean sheet record no that long ago. Kamara was touted as a 20m player, now he can't get a game. Kent, Tav, Lundstrum, Morelos, none of the players are performing to their capabilities.

The "core" of this team went through a league campaign without losing a game.

The thing is, I believe if we change tact we have the attacking players to punish the dross in our league. His refusal to implement this will be his downfall. I hope that he tweaks the system and starts getting more from his players and we push on with a good win tomorrow.

We have the players to batter domestic teams in Scotland. It just isn't utilised properly, and we get dragged down into a mire of tedious slow play.

know a lad who follows Feyenoord , spoke to him when Gio was appointed ,
Feyenoord played the worst football he has watched from them under Gio , (the lad is in his late 50,s) everything the O P quoted from 2019 my Feyenoord friend has also said .

His tenure just now reminds of McLeish’s last season in 2006. Regardless of the scum losing to St Mirren I still think they’ll win the league by a big points deficit. Hope I’m wrong but just don’t have any confidence in us at all just now. Win tomorrow would be massive even so early in the season as it shows we are up for it. Will also make a statement and put pressure on the tramps. If we drop points then it sends the message that regardless of what the scum do we’ll not put any pressure on them. Still something doesn’t sit right with me at all just now with the club.

I just don't understand why he persists with the same tactics when it's not working. I understand some people are stubborn, but if it's going to cost you a job and make you seem foolish why would you not at least try something different? His stupid horseshoe didn't work at Feyenoord and it's not working with us, why the f8ck isn't he changing it? Playing so defensively in Scotland is playing into the opposition teams hands, we need to be much more attack minded!

His tenure just now reminds of McLeish’s last season in 2006. Regardless of the scum losing to St Mirren I still think they’ll win the league by a big points deficit. Hope I’m wrong but just don’t have any confidence in us at all just now. Win tomorrow would be massive even so early in the season as it shows we are up for it. Will also make a statement and put pressure on the tramps. If we drop points then it sends the message that regardless of what the scum do we’ll not put any pressure on them. Still something doesn’t sit right with me at all just now with the club.
McLeish finished third that season. Gio is currently 2 points behind in the league and other than the Old Firm defeat which granted was a poor performance, we have only drawn one other domestic game and the referee fucked us over there. It’s not even a close comparison.

Back